Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010 | 09:58 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

looks like he robbed a revisor off a bike
Old 05-03-2010 | 10:25 PM
Ben Waite
Advanced

What did I do to MY Porsche today???

I DESIGNED and MADE lexan front splitter and I switched from sealed beam headlights to Halogen headlights.

Old 05-03-2010 | 10:42 PM
zblowfish
Instructor

what did you make it out of? make me one i will pay you
Old 05-03-2010 | 10:51 PM
Ben Waite
Advanced

i made it out of a sheet of lexan
Old 05-03-2010 | 10:52 PM
Ben Waite
Advanced

really quite easy i can tell you how blowfish
Old 05-03-2010 | 11:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

i love that color..
Old 05-03-2010 | 11:12 PM
Cass944
Drifting

its just a weld on filler. you can get them from jegs and summit. then just a neet anodized cap i found too. then i drilled a hole in the water neck and welded that beast on there.
Old 05-03-2010 | 11:15 PM
Ben Waite
Advanced

thanks rocket i pulled the paint numbers from the gt3 rs.
Old 05-03-2010 | 11:42 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cass944
its just a weld on filler. you can get them from jegs and summit. then just a neet anodized cap i found too. then i drilled a hole in the water neck and welded that beast on there.
i like that idea, very cool.

be sure to get a picture of the engine bay sans expansion tank. theres room over there i could use.

any concerns regarding reduced cooling capacity due to lower coolant volume? what are you going to do about the extra hoses? and what about "expansion"?
Old 05-04-2010 | 12:08 AM
zblowfish
Instructor

How did you do it Ben, drop me a pm! Thanks :d
Old 05-04-2010 | 03:16 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zblowfish
How did you do it Ben, drop me a pm! Thanks :d
interested too!!
Old 05-04-2010 | 10:28 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Ben...sign me up for one man...that looks awesome.

LOVE that colour too. Wow, it pops.
Old 05-04-2010 | 10:29 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cass944
finally... i can get rid of that big ugly coolant expansion tank

Wow...you really are a minimalist!

I'm curious on cooling effects tho....
Old 05-04-2010 | 11:55 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Replaced my intermittently working rear amp, and swapped in a new 200W MTX 2 ch amp with NO crossover built in. If this one conks out, I will not be able to switch to the crossover (old amp worked only with crossover activated) Tested it out, and it really sounds good. I need to make a new mounting bracket, as this amp is a different size from my old one.

Cleaning some grounds, and have not looked at my heater yet.
Moving along slowly...

Car is reliable enough. I sometimes take it to work, and recently brought it to my first Porsche get together. I've got a few nice short cruises under my belt now, so my confidence is increasing. ( I now have approx 1000km on it since I purchased it.)

Scott.
Old 05-04-2010 | 10:32 PM
Ben Waite
Advanced

ok ill try to explain it the best i can and if you guys don't confident after reading i will make more but it may take a wile as i am a general contractor and work is picking up. you will need to go to home depot or were ever you by lexan and get a sheet 18 inches x 6 foot. if your car is equipped with the under the fascia pan remove this pan your new batwing splitter will now replace this. Next using two low profile racing jacks about four feet apart lay a piece of one by six lumber across the jack saddles and lay the sheet of lexan on the one by six on the jacks. Roll the two jacks and lexan under the front of the car. Begin by jacking up evenly until the lexan just about touches the fascia. With a tape measure try to center the lexan from the left and right side of the car. Know heres the thing, the lexan needs to go under the car toward the back about fifteen inches so that it can be bolted to the three bolt holes on the back of the radiator support. This will leave you about three inches hanging out of the front of the car, this will be for the exposed splitter lip. Now i made my lip two and a half inches but if you only want two inches thats fine. Ok lets recap you have your sheet under the car about fifteen inches and centered left two, right still with me? Now gently jack up until it sits kind of tight to the fascia, once you have that get a sharpie or magic marker depending on your age trace the shape of your fascia on the lexan. Ok heres the important part on each end of the fascia it begins to round upward with a radius just at the point were the radius starts put a mark with your sharpie this is were you want the splitter to stop or dissapear under the fascia. Once you have it traced, you can now remove the lexan from under the car.The next thing you will need is a pair of wing dividers. I took a pair and on one side duct taped a sharpie to it. Open the wing dividers to the desired width in my case two and a half inches. Carefully trace again the sharpie line you traced wile under the car making the front lip. Now remember the little mark we made were the fascia began to round up, heres were it gets tricky, get a straight edge and go from that mark to were the front part of the splitter radius ends and draw a line so that it tapers back. Refer to my original post to see what i mean. Once you have this all drawn out, cut on the line you just drew out with a jig saw use a fine blade and take your time. Now break away the piece and sand using a orbital sander until smooth and rounded nicely. Ok were half way there, now that we are happy with the sanding, jack up the car and call in that favor from your friend to come help you with the next step. Because the lexan is clear the next step is easy. Lay under the car and have your friend slide the piece of lexan under the car to you, wile you are under the car gently holding the lexan against the under side of the car have your friend realign the original sharpie line you traced. Once aligned mark with the sharpie were the three holes are on the radiator support and the two support holes are on either side of the fascia. These will be holes for mounting for the back of the batwing splitter. The front will need to be marked about a quarter inch back from the front of the fascia. Four holes in the front evenly spaced will do. Drill out all holes as needed. You will need to bye or find a small strip of aluminum about six inches long and cut four pieces about half inch bye one inch. Cut a slot in the four pieces of aluminum, these will be used to clamp the front of the splitter to your fascia. Almost done, go to the local hardware store and bye a can of spray paint used for plastic, krylon makes one for this application. spray away and mount to the car. Now if the paint doesn't last go back to the glass shop and bye smoked lexan take out the splitter you made and trace everything on the smoked lexan drill and cut were needed and it will be good for life providing you stay away from curbs.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today