Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh I noticed. The controls are almost exactly the same on our 911, and I don't know how to half use those.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 129 Posts

That would be YOU!..Spencer!
Old 12-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Flammulator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the hood struts. The first one went on just fine. The second side... in retrospect I wish I'd recorded it for comedic value. I spent a good twenty minutes trying to compress the strut, and having my whole body pushed toward the front of the car. I eventually took to jamming my foot under the wheel for some traction, which helped immensely.

I did figure out something potentially useful to anyone else who chooses to take on this job when there are no helping hands around. If you put many layers of masking tape in the slot at the top and some around the part of the strut that hits on the slot if you're unable to hold it in position, you can get the holes to line up, and can just rest the strut there without scraping it up or having to fuss around for the pin that secures them with the other hand failing to keep the strut compressed. (Ask me how I know.)

Anyway, job done...

Then I washed her, which was great except for the part where I discovered someone used a metal implement scraping off the last set of wheel weights when re-balancing the wheel. So now I have some lovely gouge marks. It's not like my car is concourse quality or anything. There are definitely more noticeable defects. Not happy about that, though...
Old 12-05-2015, 12:35 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Still amazed that I'm driving mine in December!
Old 12-05-2015, 01:24 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
Still amazed that I'm driving mine in December!
It's been a while, but it's my second winter with the 944 as the DD. Gotta say, I love these cars in the snow. Some of the most fun you can have in a car...
Old 12-05-2015, 01:42 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmjames
It's been a while, but it's my second winter with the 944 as the DD. Gotta say, I love these cars in the snow. Some of the most fun you can have in a car...
I can't use mine as a DD in the winter. They use salt too much at the littlest amounts of snow here and I just cannot nor do I want to risk it just yet. Once it snows for a prolonged period of time and the salt is here to stay, she'll get put up in the garage.

I bet it is super fun though.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:19 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started replacing the tie-rods only to find out the boots that said they would fit, actually are for the early cars without power steering. Hopefully the replacement boots are the correct ones.

Did manage to replace the worn steering shaft. Not a difficult job, just fiddly.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:12 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Cleaned up this mess and applied some goop as a temporary measure.
New intake manifold gasket, new AOS seals and did inventory on hose clips and the proper spring clamps.....everything crumbled including the reference sensor plug.

Got crazy with cable ties and stole the plug off the old hall sensor. She liked the attention and lit up the back tires a few times for me...good girl. I believe the janky balance plug was a slight vacuum leak....too much flow in the aos so the intake runner had a coating that looked like the inside of a south of the border fig newton. I will see if I can get it hot tanked when the magical shaft seal arrives....
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2015, 02:36 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

took apart the old plug bosch wires to snag the protective sleeves for the new bremi wires with beru ends. on the last wire, I find the coil was loose in its mooring.

then went for a 2AM spin. my butt dyno told me that my old wires sucked.

the number 4 wire had been replaced but the other wires where original.

I tried to do the speed limit but it is always chomping at the bit. the last 6 miles of i40 on the NC side and the first two on the TN side are phenomenal...
Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Braking news

After watching irina's various brake repair videos I was inspired to make my own pressurizing system in order to be able to bleed the brakes without an assistant. And it would appear that luck would be on my side.

Step One: My journey started with a trip to Princess Auto (Canada's answer to Harbor Freight) where I found a sprayer for $10 (yes it was a clearout).

Step Two: I removed the spray tool and added my own brake fluid reservoir cap to which I married two air tool male ends.

Step Three:
The car in question, an '87 924s, had a rusted through brake line that has been a source of my frustration over the last few years. What I thought was a leaky banjo fitting (or two) at the power steering pump turned out to be the recipient of a slow but reliable drip from said brake line. Of course I had to start repairing the part that didn't need repairing but at least I won't have to worry about another potential site for leekage. Anyways, after tossing a litre of fluid into my new best-friend and helper (I jest), I attached the lid to the reservoir, pressurized the system and proceeded to bleed the brakes tutto da solo.

Step Four: Prost!
Attached Images     
Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

I'd been noticing a bit of a fuel smell on occasion, but hadn't really tracked it down until my wife commented that my car smelled like a gas station when I got home the other day. Popped the hood, and discovered that the fuel injector on cylinder 2 had decided that fuel goes around and on the engine, not just inside it...

Replaced seals and caps on all four injectors since I was at it, but that did nothing for the leak, so I ordered a rebuilt / resealed injector, then installed it in the leaking spot. No more leak, no more fuel smell, and the car is notably less likely to self-immolate!

Then I loaded it up w/ an upright bass, amp, extra speaker cabinet, and some other misc. music gear, and took it to a gig!

Old 12-14-2015, 05:06 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

my accelerator pedal is sticking. It gave me a bit of a scare last night in the dark on a narrow road.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 129 Posts

I put the passenger side dash back together after changing out the heater hoses from the inside..on my'83..fussy screws...
Old 12-14-2015, 09:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

removed the MAF and swapped back to stock for upcoming smog.
gotta say, the AFM and stock DME sure is smooth...definitely not as powerful at part throttle, but it does run well.

was pleased to put 87 octane back in it for the first time in a while.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday I installed my new Dansk muffler. I am a little disappointed in the quietness. With my original muffler people would cower in fear when I stepped on the gas, but now there's just a gentle hum.

But it's not all bad. It does look much nicer than the K-Mart muffler the PO installed and the fit/finish was top notch. I especially like how I don't have to listen to the baffles rattling around anymore.

I also replaced the hatch, hood, and sunroof seals with ones from Only 944. After installing my sunroof seals I can't get the sunroof back on the car because the seal is too thick

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today