Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:23 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new silicone vacuum lines came from Lindsey Racing yesterday, and the offset cam keys from 928 Motorsports showed up today. Still waiting on a pile of tools from Arnnworx, and will be ordering the supplies for belts/rollers/water pump/front-end seals/etc. as soon as I can get to where I can read the engine code...

Stupid mid-84 changeover on some engine design aspects means I can't order the front engine seals until I read the code, but I can't seem to see it without getting under the car, unless I'm misreading something about the location.

Going to tackle everything sometime next week since the wife and kids will be out of town for the duration! Lots of wrenching and lots of quiet!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:02 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Made great progress today on my seat mounts. My buddy came over and performed some much needed work on my floor pan and seat rail supports. Love a 110 volt MIG setup! This will really help get the seats back in the car properly, with 3 bolts per rail...Putting in late model seats in my early model car...the right way! IMHO...more welding to do later....for rust repair...
Old 12-24-2015, 05:03 PM
FRANCOCORPS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dmjames
The new silicone vacuum lines came from Lindsey Racing yesterday, and the offset cam keys from 928 Motorsports showed up today. Still waiting on a pile of tools from Arnnworx, and will be ordering the supplies for belts/rollers/water pump/front-end seals/etc. as soon as I can get to where I can read the engine code...

Stupid mid-84 changeover on some engine design aspects means I can't order the front engine seals until I read the code, but I can't seem to see it without getting under the car, unless I'm misreading something about the location.

Going to tackle everything sometime next week since the wife and kids will be out of town for the duration! Lots of wrenching and lots of quiet!

All you need to know is if you have manual tension roller or automatic tension roller... Unless i'm missing something?
Old 12-24-2015, 10:25 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRANCOCORPS
All you need to know is if you have manual tension roller or automatic tension roller... Unless i'm missing something?
For the belt job, you're absolutely right, but I'm also doing a front engine re-seal, and there are a number of differences starting partway through the 1984 model year that impacts what seals are needed.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:56 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Less than a month after getting it painted someone crashed into it and screwed up the passenger fender...
Name:  xB01jWW.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  226.7 KB
No idea who/when/what/why, which sucks.

Swapped to late AFM/DME and installed solid trans mounts, so not all is bad.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:09 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

$880 later, including core charge, I have everything for a timing belt, roller, water pump (incl. retrofit), and front reseal job on its way, plus a set of braided stainless brake lines...

Thursday's the day, based on estimated arrival... Looking forward to the most involved mechanic job I've attempted to date, plus the nice low-end power boost that should come with the 4 degree offset cam key.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:05 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changed out the 20W-50 for some 15W-40 for the winter and put on a new accessory belt. This weekend I'll be swapping out the incredibly noisy fuel pump, hopefully the new Bosch unit is a bit quieter.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:36 PM
phL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

getting everything ready for the valve spring swap (lindsey beehive) and belts, water pump and rollers...

currently collecting aluminum profiles and accessories for the valve spring compressor. also running to harbor freight for a compression check kit, off where i will take the 14mm thread and make a pressurized air adapter for holding the valves up during the change.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:28 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I swapped out the 8X16 968 "Star-Fish" wheels with aggressive street rubber for my polished Club Sports with all weather rubber on the 944S. Also installed spacers up front to bring the 7s out, since CS have a 65mm offset (for the big brakes & ABS)
Attached Images    
Old 12-29-2015, 06:40 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Fixed the odometer for the 3rd (and dear God I hope final) time. Gears are in good shape, and in the right place, but the shaft kept shifting until the gears no longer meshed. Fixed it this time by adding a spacer in to keep the shaft from moving enough to cause problems. Really hope that does it... I don't want to have to do it again. Stupid ring is a PAIN to pry open and then crimp back shut.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Got the 41/2 inch grinder out today and smoothed some welds on the seat brackets. Marked them for the new rail mounting holes. Installed my new Dimple super magnet fill and drain plugs in the tranny. Not much time to devote to it today. Hopefully will have the seat rails in by the end of the week.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 AM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Got the 41/2 inch grinder out today and smoothed some welds on the seat brackets. Marked them for the new rail mounting holes. Installed my new Dimple super magnet fill and drain plugs in the tranny. Not much time to devote to it today. Hopefully will have the seat rails in by the end of the week.
Rich, I'm very excited about your welding work.
Your car and it's seats will be great.

I replaced the seal and the latch pin seats for the rear hatch.
Wow does that thing close super tight now.

I also pulled apart the driver door, rewired the side mirror and routed the wiring away from the window track.
After re-assembly the "mysterious door rattle during engine warm up" and the "clunking noise when making the window go up and down" have both left the building.

Things always get better after I pull them apart and put them back together.
Maybe not perfect, but better.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:23 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmjames
Fixed the odometer for the 3rd (and dear God I hope final) time. Gears are in good shape, and in the right place, but the shaft kept shifting until the gears no longer meshed. Fixed it this time by adding a spacer in to keep the shaft from moving enough to cause problems. Really hope that does it... I don't want to have to do it again. Stupid ring is a PAIN to pry open and then crimp back shut.
35 miles. 35 *%&$ing miles. And it's out again. Wonder if my spacer came loose, or if it's whack-a-mole with yet another issue...
Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

You might have a gear tooth in the works if it dies repeatedly.

On the old mercs, I shoved the 10ths gear on the shaft with a piece of waxed linen to hold it in place.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:04 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
You might have a gear tooth in the works if it dies repeatedly.

On the old mercs, I shoved the 10ths gear on the shaft with a piece of waxed linen to hold it in place.
A good thought, but no, I thoroughly inspected the whole thing the last two times I cracked it open. The original problem was that the gear just shifter over on the shaft, so I used some superglue to affix it in the proper position. After that, the gear stayed put on the shaft, but now the whole shaft slides over about a quarter of an inch until the gear doesn't engage the worm gear anymore. Tried putting a spacer in to keep it from moving again, but I'm guessing I didn't do a good enough job, and the spacer just fell out. I have another idea or two for the spacer this time, or potentially adding something on the other end to keep the shaft from moving that way, but I didn't really want to have to open the damned thing again...

I'd rather be fixing something more important, but now that my gas gauge is on the fritz as well, I need at least one of them to work!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today