Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last friendly chance for Shawn Morrison

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shawn does not come on this board that often, try PMing him instead.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:06 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Shawn does not come on this board that often, try PMing him instead.
Hopefully Joska tried this already.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

OMG PORSHEZ R TEH AWESOME!!!!!1!!!!!

(J should not leave his browser open)
Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
My simple rules when buying / selling sports cars. Use them as you wish.
Buying:

1. Put a deposit on said car contingent on passing an inspection. If the seller does not agree to this - WALK AWAY.
2. Get an inspection by an independent shop specializing in the car you are looking at. Preferably one that is not associated with the seller. If the seller does not agree to one - WALK AWAY
3. If the car needs work, use it as a negotiation tool.
4. If the seller balks at the work needed - WALK AWAY (depending on price of course).
5. Talk to the seller numerous times. This will tell you more about how he maintained (or did not) the car. - No warm fuzzies from the seller - WALK AWAY.
6. Transporting the car. I personally ALWAYS go meet the seller face-to-face and shake his hand. If I still don't get warm fuzzies - I WALK. I also prefer to drive my purchase home. This has made for some awesome adventures.
It seems to me you missed one of the toughest parts of buying a used car from a distance: paying for it!

Like others have said, what's the point of buying from an enthusiast if you can't trust them? Moreover, what's the point of meeting and dealing with other enthusiasts on Rennlist if you can't trust them?

In December of 2000 while living in the Caribbean I bought my 951 Cab through a Rennlister in Switzerland who located the car, had the PPI done, negotiated the purchase on my behalf with the seller, put down a deposit with his own money and asked me to trust him about the car's pristine condition.

I wired the purchase price to the seller in full and my "Rennlist friend" picked up the car and took it to be serviced for me to have ready when I flew in to pick it up. This was a transaction between enthusiasts and if it hadn't been for Rennlist I would never have trusted this person like I did, nor would I have expected the car to be as good as described. But it was, and I'm still happy with the car 8 years later.

I think Joska expected something similar simply because he was dealing with another enthusiast with a reputation on Rennlist. I don't know what people spend time on here for if they don't expect to be able to trust other enthusiasts. I thought it was a given, but I guess I was wrong.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by halik;6532048}"
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE CAR???

Seriously, why are you posting this here w/o any explanation of what the shortcoming of the transaction actually is? This isn't an episode of Murder She Wrote - if you want people to know you got scammed, you kind of have to explain why you got scammed...
Maybe it is none of our business? Maybe it is small things that could easily be rectified and the deal could be unwound, the small things fixed, and the car re sold as what it was advertised as.

i bought a small bmw part from a guy on the E46 board. the part was damaged in transit. i contacted the seller. we spoke a little, then the communication stopped. i made a pay pal dispute and rated him neutral on the board as a seller pending the outcome.

turns out he was out of town. he immediately refunded my money, i got the moderator to delete my rating so i co8uld post a good rating.

does that scenario sound familiar? nobody knows what part i bought, etc. because it is not their business.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I don't know what people spend time on here for if they don't expect to be able to trust other enthusiasts. I thought it was a given, but I guess I was wrong.
It's a shame but it's reality
Old 05-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't know what people spend time on here for if they don't expect to be able to trust other enthusiasts. I thought it was a given, but I guess I was wrong.
As someone who has gone toe to toe with you in many a 944 related discussion, i must agree 100% with you on this one.

If there was something inyour part of town that i needed, i am confident you would give me a 100% honest opinion of the part, and am confident you would do the same with me. That's what a community like this is about! Or should i say is supposed to be about.

The 944 community was one of the resons i bought my second, and am on my sixth.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i dont think he is posting here so that we will all know about the car- he is posting to get ahold of Shawn.
+968
Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems to me you missed one of the toughest parts of buying a used car from a distance: paying for it!

Like others have said, what's the point of buying from an enthusiast if you can't trust them? Moreover, what's the point of meeting and dealing with other enthusiasts on Rennlist if you can't trust them?

You are one naive dude. When it comes to business, I trust nobody but myself.

Two more rules - I NEVER buy cars from friends. And I NEVER buy cars from family. In the world of business and money, trust is not an option.

C.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chads996
You are one naive dude.

C.
Missed one, that should be TWO naive dudes, got to add Tom to the list.

It is a shame that Joska paid out $35K?? and didn't get the car he wanted. If he had posted before he purchased that car and asked for help in looking at the car, the subject matter would be different. What gets settled in the future will depend on what was in the contact, posting here doesn't change that. Ask Rolex about the Rennlister who posted here, hung out at gatherings, and then stole his car and parted it.

I am out of here.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

You pays your money and you takes your chances. However it doesn't mean you don't get to collect if you are wronged. I'm all for righting wrongs. If it was me it would be nasty.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me interject yet another piece of non relevant information
Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Taken directly from the contract that was signed and witnessed by both parties!

968 (modified to Replica Turbo S) Coblat Blue

3. OWNERSHIP:
3.1 The Seller guarantees that he/she is the true and lawful owner of the above-described vehicle and that it is free of all encumbrances and any and all legal claims.
4. WARRANTY:
4.1 The Seller warrants that at the date of signature of this agreement there are no licensing fees or fines or other penalties outstanding against the registration of the vehicle sold in terms of this agreement.
5. NO WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES:
5.1 The Seller or his/her agent gives no warranty or guarantee other than those specified in 3.1 and 4.1
6. DISCLAIMER:
6.1 The vehicle is sold "As-Is" and the seller shall not be liable for any defects, patent, latent or otherwise.
6.2 The Buyer admits having inspected the vehicle to his/her satisfaction and that no guarantees or warranties of any nature were expressed or implied by the Seller or his/her agent regarding its condition or quality.
7. LEGAL AGE:
7.1 The Buyer is of legal age and legally competent to enter into this agreement.
8. TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP AND COSTS:
8.1 The Parties agree to sign all documents necessary to transfer ownership of the vehicle from the Seller onto the name of the Buyer within 7 (SEVEN) days of signing this agreement of sale.
8.2 The Buyer shall be liable for all costs relating to the registration of the vehicle into his/her name and all costs relating to the Roadworthy Certificate.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:06 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

So whats that all about then.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like he ****ed up the car and is going to hid behind the law rather than whats right.

Quick Reply: Last friendly chance for Shawn Morrison