Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Well I'd say that was pretty darned quick! I bet it will feel like a new car to you.

Good looking dogs too. I miss my Charlie still....
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been about a week, I guess? James did mention that the clutch felt perfect.

Anxious to see how she is now. I had mentioned she was running quite well before drop-off at the shop. Valve adjustment/rocker fixes should provide some oomph, I would guess.

Ed, I had posed this question before but didn't get a response. Maybe you've a take on it? The extracted #1 plug had about 30K miles on it, while #2-#6 has always been changed out quite frequently. Has this cylinder/piston experienced "anything" due to this plug's aging? I can only deduce that it's spark capabilities have dwindled over time and wondered if this would have any effects on combustion byproducts within the #1 cylinder? I speculate that it's a non-issue but was curious? Performance-wise, I've not sensed anything "symptomatic" (misses, sputters, etc.) during its stay.

That Charlie story brought a few tears the day I read your post. It was only 2 days prior that I witnessed a small German Shepherd (running loose) rx' a glancing blow from an idiot's truck, subsequently fracturing the poor animals hip....the ******* just kept going. I quickly stopped my car , jumped out, hollering at this ******* while rendering stereo imaging middle fingers, ...waving him back for a proper submission hold. Luckily, this happened only one block from my Vet's place. I scooped the dog up (rx'g a small bite, BTW) and headed to the vet. Doc took care of her and we eventually located the owner. Point being that I had a heightened emotional sensitivity of sorts at the time THEN I read your thread.

Man,..I felt awful, putting myself in your shoes. I'm like you, as I'm VERY close to these dogs of mine..these Basenjis are quite different from any dogs I've owned before (both sight and scent oriented) and quite semi-domesticated,...not to mention their costs would rival a Porsche shop bill!!!!!! They ARE family.

Charlie will always be (deeply) missed, I'm sure.

Have you acquired another dog yet? Don't recall from the thread.

Best to you and yours',

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-09-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'd not worry about the combustion deal. It would seem that any reduction in spark would be marginal. A good does of Techron prior to the next couple of oil changes should remedy anything. My comment on the feel of her will probably be mostly due to mindset. This seems to have bugged you for a long time, and now you'll be free!

We've not thought about getting another dog yet-someday, but it still seems so soon. We've taken solace in petting some of our neighbors dogs more now when we see them walking the neighborhood.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Yes,..free at last, free at last !!!!!!!!!!!!! (me AND that damned plug). I keep up on Techron dosing so your observation is good news.

Get that dog, bro'!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

We will eventually. I figure that Charlie will guide a dog in need our way someday soon.

Good thing you've got great driving weather in the SE to try her out, huh?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

i would dare to say cylinder #1 looks exactly the same as the others .... even dwidling spark will ignite and once it ignites the rest is about fuel quality .. if you lihjt a bonfire with a good match or a bad match it reeally doesn't matter once it lights . I am SURE it will be fine ..
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it would have been near impossible to measure the gap once the plug base cracked, and the insulation and everything would have come out. I think the electrode gap can wear quite far and you'll have inefficient spark at worst, not engine damage unless you get knocking under load or something like that.

Great looking dogs! I know that dogs love Porsches, always eat your cooking, and even think that you sing great. They're the best companions around!

Doyle, I am just glad that you're getting her back and that everything is well with her.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:25 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Ed: Understand. Weather's been quite chilly for us...but, nice day for driving,

Ice: see your point.

rusnak: no info just yet on that plug.....I've yet to personally speak with Serge (but will get his take on the extracted plug's condition,..the dogs are utter TRIPS....cats, trapped in a dog's body,...barkless....and an ancient breed.

Speaking of "back",..I was able to get her this afternoon and will post in another session, as I have to now. All I can say is that I'm truly amazed at the difference now. Scheduled to meet with James to go over invoice on Monday. I'll post the areas "touched".

Man, is this car haulin' some **** right now. Looking to be DRY (now), too.

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

so we gonna runa pool on the cost ?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:44 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

mmmmm....don't know.?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

give us the run down of what you have Done Doyle and lets hazard a guess .... .. PS if you need a first born you can donate mine
Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"We will pay the price...but we will not count the costs"
Don't do it Shepp. Just keep moving on and forget the money. It will have been a bargain in 5 years when everything is just like it is today with simple maintenance.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:14 PM
whalebird
Race Car

It might **** off your shop too. No shop wants to have a customer come in and say "I posted your invoice on the internets" Trust me.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:47 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
"We will pay the price...but we will not count the costs"
Don't do it Shepp. Just keep moving on and forget the money. It will have been a bargain in 5 years when everything is just like it is today with simple maintenance.
There's always a RUSH line that "fits", eh? Good one!

I'll run down the list of repairs once I meet with James,..and then post to the NG.

No way would I post an invoice copy nor share the expense.....you guys will know from the list that it wasn't cheap,..you get what you pay for, I believe.
I've FAR too much respect for the shop to do that. The only thing I've mentioned is the engine R/R portion,..but that's where it will end. The rest will be informational, for the group.

My mechanic is tops...............

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Thats cool. How's she running?

Quick Reply: Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........