Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
Well actually Brett I didn't know that about the tap . i would have loved it if he had utubed it. I just wasn't sure how you would get the crap out of a cylinder through a spark pluh hole .. especially the aluminum head bits they could not get with a magnet .. especially ina 911 where it seams so recessed.
cool. I thought I might come across as an *** know-it-all, when you have done far more mechanical work than I have. I learned about the grease trick when a fellow V12 owner (with limited mechanical experience) on a Mercedes board that I follow had a spark plug blow out of his head. I was thinking you're screwed, dude. Head's got to come off, hello machine shop. But, he got some better advice and a helicoil kit and tapped it and helicoiled it without any disassembly using the grease trick to keep metal out of the cylinder. Seemed to work great. Instead of $3000, it was about a $30 repair for a novice.

Brett
Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Just for everyone's eyes:

I rx'd the fuel screen filter today (we'll be installing this) and O-Ring. Interesting little piece. Pictures are one thing (PET) but holding it in your hand is another.

It looks to have those bottom slots at base of filter,...what's it supposed to do? TRAP things inside it?

In any case,..we'll drain the tank,..get rid of any crap that's settled in the bottom (from +20 years) and install this "gadget"...curious to see what the old one demonstrates,..

Although (probably) somewhat insignificant, I bet this is an often neglected changeout piece?

Can't hurt to have this one installed..will post my old filter upon removal.

Best,

Doyle
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

La Villa Strangiato is a good one for the road( how did they get that in one take in the studio, but I've seen them do it live many times, same for YYZ)( I have a bootleg where Alex makes a glaring mistake in LVS - it's cool)
Ed, It's hard to explain the Rush thing as it seems to be an aquired taste for most - like bruchetta LOL. I hate too have participated in the derailment of this thread, but it's Doyles thread and if I have his good graces...
This a good thread however and has superb technical content. It embodies much of the Porsche 911 experiance with community, finding a good shop, lots of questions and answers, oh, and RUSH!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Isn't there a "sock" that fits over the screen and acts like a prefilter? I know most Porsches have this but cannot directly recall the Carrera set up. Regardless, I have known owners to remove the screen/filter, rip the clogged up "sock" off and put the screen back in with no ill effects. Good maintenance and a full tank for prolonged storage prevents problems in this area.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a dumb question. This tapping and time-certing....is that done with the cylinder facing downward? You'd think that vaccum is better than compressed air for removal of chips, both steel and aluminum as a precaution.

They say that Steely Dan is the test of a muscian's ability from a technical standpoint. Is that true?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

W/B" well put.

I love LVS.

I would add that I have 2 opps to be with (that is: along side!) their monitor mix engineer on both R30 and S&A in Atlanta (Since I work in the industry, I have these priviledges!) Mon Mix engineer is a friend of mine....easily back stage to meet the guys on more than one occasion....although Neil can be really hard to get to (although I was able to meet him,...hell, we discussed BMW motorcycles and, YES, PORSCHES!!!!!!!!.

Also know Nick R., personally..... (mixed S&N)...cool guy, who's very sonically "aware"......

I love these kind of "derailments",..and would offer my thanks for doing so......

....I plan to finalize this thread with EVERYTHING we did to the Baby,..just to share the old "well,...while it's on the ground............let's,............"

You know the drill,..but maybe some of the others (newbies) can better frame this Porsche maintenance mantra?

Best to you Whalebird,..long live RUSH!!!!!!!!!!! I hear they are hittin the studio soon.....!!!!

BTW: what concerts DVDs do you NOT have?

BEST,

Doyle

...yes,..",....and RUSH!!"...

No frikin "derailment"...are you kiddin" Graces? (A given, from one RUSH disciple [not fan] to another)

No need to explain the "thinking man's R&R" to anyone,..you "get it: or you don't...

If you don't (not you, BTW),..that's plenty OK by me.......
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
I've got a dumb question. This tapping and time-certing....is that done with the cylinder facing downward? You'd think that vaccum is better than compressed air for removal of chips, both steel and aluminum as a precaution.

They say that Steely Dan is the test of a muscian's ability from a technical standpoint. Is that true?
I'M a HUGE DAN FAN, AS WELL!! AMAZING!!!!!!! Yes, their library is quite complicated (musically)....no doubt! Equally, I can assure you that RUSH's technical prowess couldn't be more technically challenging, although in a different musical vein. I LOVE STEELY DAN.....THEY ARE MY JAZZ-RUSH!!!!!!!!!!! Better believe they employ wrist-cramping chordal structures,..not to mention the "million dollar" lyrics!!!!!!!!

I plan to inquire as to the blow-by-blow protocol they followed and will report back, Rusnak. It sounds like they used every means (technique) possible to ensure cleanliness. I'll let you guys know, for sure......

Rusnak: you into Steely Dan?

My best,

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-06-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2010, 06:54 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
Isn't there a "sock" that fits over the screen and acts like a prefilter? I know most Porsches have this but cannot directly recall the Carrera set up. Regardless, I have known owners to remove the screen/filter, rip the clogged up "sock" off and put the screen back in with no ill effects. Good maintenance and a full tank for prolonged storage prevents problems in this area.
I know nothing of a "sock",..(WTF is this? have you a pic?) Let's see what comes out!!!!!!!!!

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dshepp806
I'M a HUGE DAN FAN, AS WELL!! AMAZING!!!!!!! Yes, their library is quite complicated (musically)....no doubt! Equally, I can assure you that RUSH's technical prowess couldn't be more technically challenging, although in a different musical vein. I LOVE STEELY DAN.....THEY ARE MY JAZZ-RUSH!!!!!!!!!!! Better believe they employ wrist-cramping chordal structures,..not to mention the "million dollar" lyrics!!!!!!!!

I plan to inquire as to the blow-by-blow protocol they followed and will report back, Rusnak. It sounds like they used every means (technique) possible to ensure cleanliness. I'll let you guys know, for sure......

Rusnak: you into Steely Dan?

My best,

Doyle
I love Steely Dan, but my musical experience will never be a Saintly experience if you get my drift. I'm way too ecclectic in musical taste. I gravitate toward tracks that are recorded and mixed very well. And I cross genres with impunity. For example, I love the recording job on Keith Urban's "Be Here". In my 911 I can hear his fingernails on the guitar strings. And I can hear him exhale between verses, even at 40 mph cruising to the office. It makes me feel like Dr. Faustus in Goethe's version of the classic legend.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Mine is COMPLETELY "saintly" (couldn't think of a better word!!!!).....spend MUCH time in the recording environment,..so I know (intimately) about "capture",..and "space"....

Sounds like you pay attention to the (sonic) details...of which would be realted to mic selection, space and compression. I do this very thing for a living...........

I may cross genres (for sonic awareness/analysis) but never for tastes....won't compromise that. I've my own personal "requirements"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (needs)

Your analogy to Faustus is funny as hell.....but so true....

Happy listening.

Best,

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-06-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Yes Doyle, you nailed it. I pay attention to sonic details. Love them. And I would call you St. Doyle of Rush-ionia.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I saw Kieth Urban and it was one of the best shows. His guitar skill is simply amazing. That guy is ROCK all the way. He even had a Van Halen concert shirt on - I really enjoy his talent as a musician - his studio albums are very sublime compared to his live stuff (Nobody Drinks Alone gives a hint). His guitar style is much like Prince and just as satisfying if not more so.
I'm all over the musical map also, but RUSH is, and always will be, my "first"...
Doyle: you are GOD. You met those guys... I got a couple of cool "close, but not quite close enough" stories.
I'm having fun with this thread.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Keith Urban is unbelievable as a musician. He can play keyboard too, and I don't know what else.

To prove how all over I am, I have Van Morrison in my lineup as well as the Bee Gees and some Ambrosia.

Very interesting comparison between Prince and Keith Urban. So true!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Alex is a complete gentleman and CLOWN!!!!!!!!! I had a chance to spend some time with his guitar tech to talk about his rig (pathing),..he's got a lotta' stuff going on in the MIDI world..the Hughes-Kettner Amps are AMAZING!!!!!!!!! MAN,..you want to talk about a rack of guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it,..unable to stop the drooling...........

What was MOST cool to me (being an engineer) was being able to listen to each members' monitor mix.....what a treat THAT was....

That crew was awesome,.....VERY professional. I'll NEVER forget it.

Doyle
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I was dissapointed with that whole Ritz-carlton thing. Alex adds so much and, in the early years, Rush was a guitar band. The addition of Neil really transformed and completed the trio but alex was, and still is, one of the three "legs" that hold it all together. A good three piece is hard to come by-There are some however of which some may include the Police and ZZ top. I would like to hear listening suggestions for others. Jazz is my outlet otherwise and I get a Kick out of Jack DeJohnette, Gary Peacock, and Kieth Jarrett.
Thought's anyone.

I hate this off topic posts...Blame Doyle - I have his grace's.

Quick Reply: Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........