Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

sounds amazing .. i wonder if they use a suction tool like you use at the dentist ..
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
sounds amazing .. i wonder if they use a suction tool like you use at the dentist ..
Sounds like use of a magnet to sweep up ferrous particles and air to blow out anything else then inspection by borescope to confirm no dregs remaining. The tap is then coated with axle grease to trap the tap cuttings as they are generated and prevent them from falling into the cylinder (or maybe you knew that).

Brett
Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Yes, Brett. All of those things, just as you described, sounds like they DID....

Can't wait to get her back

Thanks!

Doyle
Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a FAR CRY...I'm glad your on top of the wheel. Getting the angle right is not real tricky, most of the methods include a simple device for "leveling" the drill bit with the suface of the socket and is quit effective. I would love to have seen the tip of the plug if it came out intact. Containing the mess from the process is equally as easy if delibrate measures are taken and thorough clean up is performed. It's infinitly more easy with the engine out as it's been done. I wouldn't second guess the process - it sounds like you have a good guy for the job. I still think this is a cruise-control job, especially here on out. Good things to come Doyle...keep us posted.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

My dearest Whalebird (RUSH-fan!). YOU GOT IT, BRO!!!!!!!!!!! FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

We'll see if they retained any of the pieces for display.

These guys know their sheeit,..I trust them. They're not "******* (like me)-in-training" who have done a few engines,..they've done hundreds of Porsches (BMWs, Lambos and Ferrari's, to boot). They RACE Porsche. They KNOW Porsche. The mechanic is a great guy (Serge de le Bruyere')...how can I go wrong with a name like that? (obviously kidding). This guy has a fantastic personality and knows his sheeeit. Big Porsche heritage (his family). Shop owner, James Roberts, is a veteran from the service world of BMW, as a Southeastern Factory Tech, in his younger days (I guess),.....35+ years of dealing with Euro-stuff.....a guy with a long standing passion for Porsches, in particular. I feel quite fortunate to have met these guys (PCA) several years back when I first bought the car and first joined PCA. My job hasn't allowed me much participation due to travel, so I see these guys only on occasion, for various things,..otherwise, I do my own work, when time permits....(which is MOSTLY). It's only NOW that I've had to engage them on a very serious note,.....and I will say (again), they really have come through as complete professionals.

I get a call EVERYDAY from James with an update (without fail)...and he's a REALLY FRIKIN BUSY SHOP!!!!!!! Granted, we've had many things to discuss as we've moved through this process. Very "hands-on",..almost like it was his own......THAT sums it up for me. I can "feel" it.

I'm quite fortunate to have had the liberty to have read SO MANY THREADS ON SO MANY THINGS RIGHT HERE ON THIS NG. It's provided me the capability to engage him in a more thorough manner, on each and every thing. I'm thankful for this and each and every person who has sit down a whacked this keyboard with information to share. Thank you all. It works.

In closing, I'll take the liberty to freak out the gracious Whalebird with the following (everso succinct?) lyrics,...you'll note them from Test for Echo:

Driven

Music by Lee and Lifeson / Lyrics by Peart

Driven up and down in circles
Skidding down a road of black ice
Staring in and out storm windows
Driven to a fool's paradise

BUT IT'S MY TURN TO DRIVE

Driven to the margin of error
Driven to the edge of control
Driven to the margin of terror
Driven to the edge of a deep, dark hole

Driven day and night in circles
Spinning like a whirlwind of leaves
Stealing in and out back alleys
Driven to another den of thieves

BUT IT'S MY TURN TO DRIVE

Driven in - Driven to the edge
Driven out - On the thin end of the wedge
Driven off - By things I've never seen
Driven on - By the road to somewhere I've never been

IT'S MY TURN TO DRIVE

The road unwinds towards me
What was there is gone
The road unwinds before me
And I go riding on

Whadaya say there, Mr. Whalebird? Dead on or what?

Oh Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL keep you guys updated.

Best to all,

Doyle
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are right on Doyle..right as rain. I'm trying to superimpose Red Barchetta on this scenario...so many things fit.
I could not stress to the rest of this forum the importance of a trusting relationship with a shop. Lots of people do their own work but it is critical to have a trusted shop for at least honest council. I'm glad your enjoying this process Doyle.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a good friend named Tony, who is a retired Porsche mechanic. Tony was the top guy at the local Porsche dealership in the 1980s, and has worked on everything Porsche since the 1960s. I have been taking my Porsches to him since my very first car, which was a 356 Cabriolet. He works out of his two car garage at home, and although he is now slowing down quite a bit, I enjoy a trusting and valued friendship with him.

I value my friendship so much, I stop by his house to bring him fruit trees and plants for his garden (Tony is an avid gardender and loves to graft new fruit trees together). I gave him a Porsche jacket that he still wears and treasures a few years ago.

Whalebird is right. A great mechanic relationship is probably at least half of the fun of owning these cars. I don't know how many other people have this kind of friendship, but I know that good Porsche mechanics are rare, and are to be treated with the same respect, admiration, and care as your Porsche car.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, I've never gotten fully into Rush, but I do like Red Barchetta....FWIW.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Rusnak,..you're so right.

Whalebird,...simply,..thanks.

Ed,..why is that you've not "gotten' fully into RUSH"? Just wondering,...don't know about Whalebird, but I'm a player (Musician, that is). So, from the technical (musical) vantage, ANYONE is into RUSH (may not be your case, however..I would understand, as most Porsche owners aren't necc. guitar players.....or drummers,...or recording engineers,..or producers,..............BUT,..maybe?)

For the record (however), what has precluded your "getting in to RUSH"? Absolutely (and simply) curious................?

If you were to say "Geddy's voice", I'd completely understand,..as many do,.. where Neil comes from with his lyrics is so ON with my take. (I, naturally, succumb). They are clearly (to me) the best band in the world (did I say "to me"...?)

Inanycase, just a curiosity-based question,..that's all.

In closing, what are the elements that attract you to Red Barchetta?

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Well actually Brett I didn't know that about the tap . i would have loved it if he had utubed it. I just wasn't sure how you would get the crap out of a cylinder through a spark pluh hole .. especially the aluminum head bits they could not get with a magnet .. especially ina 911 where it seams so recessed.

Anyway great Job and glad youa re up and running .. sort of ..
Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like bruchetta, especially with tomatoes and olive oil. Does that count?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
It does, and I make a mean one based on what I learned in Tuscany.

As to Rush---I like Red Barchetta is probably due to the words. Much of Rush's music is somewhat monotonous to my taste. I can listen to it, just not a big fan.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: I'm speechless......
Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Nope...
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
You are right on Doyle..right as rain. I'm trying to superimpose Red Barchetta on this scenario...so many things fit.
I could not stress to the rest of this forum the importance of a trusting relationship with a shop. Lots of people do their own work but it is critical to have a trusted shop for at least honest council. I'm glad your enjoying this process Doyle.
Thanks WB. You're dead on....(again).

Once I have Baby back, THEN, it should be easy for superimposition of R/B while I'm completely hauling ****.....no?...then: YYZ.

Monotonous? I couldn't think of anything more musically complex....bar none.

(pleaze...)

Best,

Doyle

Quick Reply: Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........