Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:49 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........

It looks like my P-wrench (James Roberts/Robert's Automotive/Bolingbroke, GA) will be addressing my #1 spark plug within a few weeks. Some of you may recall my (much) earlier post regarding this situation: looks to be either crossed or simply galled. It won't come out...............

The plug has been left alone for a few years now (she's running quite well). I'm tired of "5 plug tuneups" and the time has come to fix this, once and for all.

He states that the last pass will be to heat the engine up nicely and try again. (this time with some force, knowing that we will drop the engine if necc.). Maybe (just maybe) a miracle will happen and I won't have to drop the engine.

I welcome you guys' observations on this process, especially from you
P-wrenches out there, or others who have crossed this type of bridge before.

Timecert? Which one is best? Comments on the actual process? Things to watch for?

...fingers are crossed....................

Best to all,
Old 12-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm interested in this. When I built my engine, I put my #1 in the newly rebuilt head with a bit too much enthusiasm, and I think it galled a bit as well. I just this weekend finally took it out, as part of a plug change. It came out, but not easily. But then again, it was a stone cold motor, which is usually a bit tighter squeeze on the plug. The first two threads showed a bit of galling. I deftly tried the new plug, and it seemed to go in pretty well.

I'm hatching a plan where I will have to pull my engine and remove my heads soon, and I'll physically be able to address any damage to thje head at that time.

Good luck on this.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

i always put some graphite powder on my plugs when I put em in ... I have had motorcycles for years and got inthe habit then .. good luck with this.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

What a dumbass I was in the buying stage.

I made discovery of this issue within 30 days of purchase,..while attempting a "tune-up". I kicked myself for not having a PPI done (no, I didn't),..as this would have EASILY raised it's dreary head AT THE POINT OF LEAKDOWN TESTS!!!!! I could have used this as a negotiative tool at purchase (as well as the cracked dash,..and slightly torn bolster)

We'll see,...my fingers are crossed. Time-Cert repairs will be left in the hands of the Pros (not I). Still searching the forum for threads that speak to this repair process.

Thanks guys,.....best to all,
Old 12-21-2009, 12:20 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I would add that I use a bit of Lithium grease when I change mine......I conducted MANY plug changeouts (I do this zealously).....all of mine have come out with no issues whatsoever (THANK YOU, Pete Zimmerman).

It's just this #1 SOB was handed to me from the PO....

Oh well,...."U-gotta-do-what-u-gotta-do"...I just want to be sure it's done correctly.

Best to all
Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm interested in this. When I built my engine, I put my #1 in the newly rebuilt head with a bit too much enthusiasm, and I think it galled a bit as well. I just this weekend finally took it out, as part of a plug change. It came out, but not easily. But then again, it was a stone cold motor, which is usually a bit tighter squeeze on the plug. The first two threads showed a bit of galling. I deftly tried the new plug, and it seemed to go in pretty well.

I'm hatching a plan where I will have to pull my engine and remove my heads soon, and I'll physically be able to address any damage to thje head at that time.

Good luck on this.

You can put a spark plug onto your grinder, and cut flutes in the sides. A little grease in the flutes and you have a pretty good plug chase. Deburr it, of course.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dshepp806
I would add that I use a bit of Lithium grease when I change mine......I conducted MANY plug changeouts (I do this zealously).....all of mine have come out with no issues whatsoever (THANK YOU, Pete Zimmerman).

It's just this #1 SOB was handed to me from the PO....

Oh well,...."U-gotta-do-what-u-gotta-do"...I just want to be sure it's done correctly.

Best to all

Could have been much worse. You may still dodge the bullet here.

BTW, you pay for a PPI, and then you get whatever the mechanic feels like giving you. Last one I got was summed up with the words, ''Oh it's a good car.'' Hadn't driven it, couldn't describe the interior, etc., etc...
Old 12-21-2009, 01:49 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it's really a nagging issue, but there is an upshot. Worst case is you will have to pull the motor and thats a good time to tidy up things. Paying attention to some details will further feed your enthusiasm and enjoyment of the car - especially at your level of enthusiasm Dshepp806.
Good luck
Old 12-21-2009, 05:50 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Amen, Whalebird. Which means my paint budget will be "sucked-upon" (not good).

She's had a complete rebuild at ~98K miles (top and bottom) and presently shows ~134K miles. Not too much to do other than check everything......CLEANING!!!!!!! (not too enthusiastic about that!!).

My schedule doesn't permit me to do the maintenance,..not that I'd even attempt something like a timecert install. Should she come to the ground, she'll rest at the P-wrench's place instead of my place (at my place, I could take my time and do whatever I wanted),..not the case here, unfortunately.

Luckily I've a great P-Wrench (he races Cup and knows his stuff).who services it and is fine using my (Porsche) parts from MY stock....he knows I do a lot of the minor service myself...

I guess I need to start this hitlist (as you suggested) to make good use of the removal opp (should it prevail, that is).

Thanks to all.....I welcome all the comments, suggestions and counseling.

Happy Holidays to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man...good luck. Maybe you can position the cylinder at tdc before doing the removal. If the engine is out, then spark plug facing down. If you take a few threads out, maybe there will be some left to hold compression.

I'm thinking vaccum metal pieces out, check w boroscope here......

Good Luck!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I know, Rusnak. I've been trying to get as much info on this actual process and have found that METAL could EASILY be an issue (thus inquiries to my Wrench about this)...Man, I bet that could be one helluva' mistake to "miss" some metal down in that frikin' cylinder, no?

SCARY SHEEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:15 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Well,..it looks like she may be going in this Wednesday to see where history will land us......wish me luch, gentlemen and ladies....She's running so damned good right now...I hate to touch her with a (possible) engine drop...but,...

,..a facts a fact,..from Gnome to Rome.

That delvac tranny fluid changeout made me a believer...that G50 is like butter (literally).

I'll keep you all updated.

Best,

Doyle
Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

May the Porsche Force be with you!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:28 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

She's now landed at the shop,..waiting to hear the outcome...fingers crossed. Will let you know the outcome..
Old 12-30-2009, 04:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doyle,

My best wishes with you and your baby.

Quick Reply: Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........