Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HA HA HA "Labor only" he says.... I bid $1 bob... LOL
All kidding aside I would say that it willl settle into it's "tune". This goes for older cars as well as yours were it will "adapt" a bit and let see what's happening after a few heat cycle/temp variations/etc - like a haircut. If the cam timing was off you may feel a different characteristic - especially if they adjusted it on both sides. I want to think it wasn't far off. You had a bunch of stuff done and I still think you got the right guys. It's cool they showed off their race rig and took a little time with you. You don't want a shop where they throw a paper mat in the drivers floorboard, pull the car around back and hand you a copy of the bus schedule. They have vested intrest in the car being right and know that you cannot make any conclusions until it's been driven a bit. The lopey idle will go away one way or another. Nothing is wrong and your guys will catch it on the follow up if it needs a little tweeking. I love this thread and I am really happy that you have things going your way shepp. Any plans for a track day? Road Atlanta is a blast, but you may be real close to Roebling Roads in Savannah of which I participate in DEs with the Crown region out of Jacksonville. They are a class act and throw a killer party...let's get together. Your shop probably does a bunch of this stuff as well and it's nice to go with your shop because you know the guys and will definitly get some track-side assistance. You gotta go with a group.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

time to get your mind on other things...

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...ww.bcaudio.com
Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whalebird
HA HA HA "Labor only" he says.... I bid $1 bob... LOL
All kidding aside I would say that it willl settle into it's "tune". This goes for older cars as well as yours were it will "adapt" a bit and let see what's happening after a few heat cycle/temp variations/etc - like a haircut. If the cam timing was off you may feel a different characteristic - especially if they adjusted it on both sides. I want to think it wasn't far off. You had a bunch of stuff done and I still think you got the right guys. It's cool they showed off their race rig and took a little time with you. You don't want a shop where they throw a paper mat in the drivers floorboard, pull the car around back and hand you a copy of the bus schedule. They have vested intrest in the car being right and know that you cannot make any conclusions until it's been driven a bit. The lopey idle will go away one way or another. Nothing is wrong and your guys will catch it on the follow up if it needs a little tweeking. I love this thread and I am really happy that you have things going your way shepp. Any plans for a track day? Road Atlanta is a blast, but you may be real close to Roebling Roads in Savannah of which I participate in DEs with the Crown region out of Jacksonville. They are a class act and throw a killer party...let's get together. Your shop probably does a bunch of this stuff as well and it's nice to go with your shop because you know the guys and will definitly get some track-side assistance. You gotta go with a group.
Thanks for the reply, WB. The idle still seems as described....I sure hope it's not a cam thing.........I'm NOT an engine expert and don't work on these for a living.........always accepting of info from guys in the know, such as yourself. I've confidence in my guys so I'm OK with it, for now. He did share with me the tediousness of setting this cam timing,..the double-triple-quadruple checks to be sure it's ON. Just Not sure WHERE (lopy idle) this is coming from?

James mentioned that he's up for Road Atlanta at the end of March and I rx'd the invite to come up with him and his crew,..said he'd get me in (pit), no problems.....I told him I'd assist with any work while there,..gracious for his offering. I do think I may take him up on his offer to taste this experience. I didn't realize the (his) expenses involved in running this circuit (HOLY SHEEIT!!)

BTW, these guys called me each frikin' day on my car with updates......I thought that to be quite representative of a good thing.

As always, look forward to your comments you RUSH freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (we know who we are....)

My best,

Doyle
Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by douglas bray
time to get your mind on other things...

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...ww.bcaudio.com
Thanks Doug,...good to know who the "players" are on this forum......

...'tis "my bag".

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw the ad for Burmeister by ATaudio.net in Excellence, saw they were from Georgia, and I thought of you Doyle. I don't know if they are a Rennlister or not though.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
whalebird
Race Car

A compression test can point to cam timing from side to side. I seriously doubt thats the problem. if so, these guys are going to make it right regardless. Just drive it a bunch and see where it goes. IT'S YOUR TURN TO DRIVE" WoooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Go to the track. But it has to be a PCA Driver's Education...It's your turn to drive". Go to Atlanta and get the pit passes. You will really dig it. But you really should plan on a Drivers Ed event. It will totally transform 911 ownership. But get that neck fixed up first.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I saw the same thing Rusnak and thought the same thing...
I knew a guy that moved to Atlanta and was making some kind of high quality audio cables, I can't remeber his name, but he was a litttle "off". I never took him very seriously, but his stuff looked nice FWIW.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
A compression test can point to cam timing from side to side. I seriously doubt thats the problem. if so, these guys are going to make it right regardless. Just drive it a bunch and see where it goes. IT'S YOUR TURN TO DRIVE" WoooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Go to the track. But it has to be a PCA Driver's Education...It's your turn to drive". Go to Atlanta and get the pit passes. You will really dig it. But you really should plan on a Drivers Ed event. It will totally transform 911 ownership. But get that neck fixed up first.
Bird,...Hope you're right. I will (continue to) drive her......

Bird, I've already done many DEs ........and some AX....even been out on the track(s),...but not at a GT3 level (which is what I was invited to,..and I hope I got the terminology right!)/... Know this car quite intimately...I'd like to do some further DEs but with different instructors.........I'm constantly learning more and more about this beast. Love the input.....AM a PCA member for 3 1/2 years.

The neck,..ah,..the frikin' neck.......what a pain (literally)..beginning to look like I may need to act sooner rather than later on remediation.......as this beatch is really taking it's toll......it's one thing to hurt like helll,..but it's (quite) another to NOT sleep BECAUSE you're hurting....about 3 days of THAT and one is really "fried". I feel fried.................we'll see,..one has to look at schedules, etc.....

Back to point,......love this car,...love the people who love this car (mostly) and enjoy RUSH disciples more than anything else.

Music's my bag.............

Stay tuned........

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Cams? Does the LH bank of cylinders seem faster than 4-5-6, or the other way around?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Ed,..break that down for me............are you speaking of "listening" to the engine..

PLEASE pardon my unknowing.......what exactly is "seems faster".....? ( I ask this honestly...)

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

A weak attempt at humor by your truly, after an extremely long day?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the suggestion of doing a compression test to check cam timing. At least that way you don't have to drain all of that oil. You can also verify tdc by removing the spark plug.......

I don't know why it took so long for me to remember this, but the PO of my 911 is a guy named Kenneth Lawrence. He makes custom hand made guitars and bass guitars one at a time. He does amazing inlay and artisitic carving. He had the James Hetfield guitars all ready (for demolishing onstage no doubt) for some sort of Metallica gig. He makes guitars for the Dooby Brothers, etc. etc.

I remember thinking that the car's amazing super high dollar stereo system was sounding strange. So I pulled all the speakers and found that most of them had the positive and negative wires reversed. This would produce a funny sine wave response by the speaker separates, which are Infinity and A/D/S reference units. I put everything back together and was simply blown away.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
I like the suggestion of doing a compression test to check cam timing. At least that way you don't have to drain all of that oil. You can also verify tdc by removing the spark plug.......

I don't know why it took so long for me to remember this, but the PO of my 911 is a guy named Kenneth Lawrence. He makes custom hand made guitars and bass guitars one at a time. He does amazing inlay and artisitic carving. He had the James Hetfield guitars all ready (for demolishing onstage no doubt) for some sort of Metallica gig. He makes guitars for the Dooby Brothers, etc. etc.

I remember thinking that the car's amazing super high dollar stereo system was sounding strange. So I pulled all the speakers and found that most of them had the positive and negative wires reversed. This would produce a funny sine wave response by the speaker separates, which are Infinity and A/D/S reference units. I put everything back together and was simply blown away.

So, a few were phased improperly......there''s nothing like finding such elementary errors.......huge magnitudes of improvement....(duh?)

...phasing is EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spend my days measuring it.................Better believe it, bro". (but Rusnak already knows such "quaint" prerequisites........) As demonstrated....

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
A weak attempt at humor by your truly, after an extremely long day?
Me? Or you? I assume "your truly" would be a reference to you? Come on Ed....enlighten me...........

Best,

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-12-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak

Can you guys expound on the compression checks as related to cam timing?

Thanks,

Doyle

Quick Reply: Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........