Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 12:14 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hk43
This is how Canadians get their friendly reputation lol. How are are you finding the Cup 2 tires in Toronto not-so-warm rain?
I don't drive it in the rain.🥺I like the Cup 2's, I don't see a need to go to PS4S's. It's not the type of car I will drive in bad weather. I drove it in 4 degree C weather and the Cup2's feel flat spotted for a couple of km, then they were good. I have a 911 on PS4S's for rainy days.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:51 PM
hk43
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cordeiro
I don't drive it in the rain.🥺I like the Cup 2's, I don't see a need to go to PS4S's. It's not the type of car I will drive in bad weather. I drove it in 4 degree C weather and the Cup2's feel flat spotted for a couple of km, then they were good. I have a 911 on PS4S's for rainy days.
Good to know! I will be a fairweather driver, too, but all that talk in the other thread about replacing the Cup 2's to PS4S had me thinking. Idle hands...
Old 04-09-2024, 01:25 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

After I go through these tires I may try Bridgestone RE71RS. I mean it says RS right on the tire. 🙂
Old 04-09-2024, 01:46 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by hk43
Good to know! I will be a fairweather driver, too, but all that talk in the other thread about replacing the Cup 2's to PS4S had me thinking. Idle hands...
If you aren't going to track the car the PS4S will be the better option, even for "fairweather" driving. Better grip from the start and if it does rain even better grip. They are also less effected by increases in tire pressure as the tires warm up. Grip is much more consistent for the road. Once my Dunlops or Cup2's are done I will get the 4S (or S5 if available). I'm not setting lap times on the road and just want to enjoy driving the car and while I drove the Cup2's in all kinds of weather (cold and snow to hot and dry) I much prefer the 4S for the road.
The following 3 users liked this post by mwar99:
Airbag997 (04-10-2024), RedCarrot (04-09-2024), rwm (04-09-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,529 Likes on 2,662 Posts

After I go through these tires I may try Bridgestone RE71RS. I mean it says RS right on the tire. 🙂
Planning on tracking the SRS are you, or is this tongue in cheek? Personally, I would not consider the RE71RS for street driving.

Originally Posted by mwar99
If you aren't going to track the car the PS4S will be the better option, even for "fairweather" driving. Better grip from the start and if it does rain even better grip. They are also less effected by increases in tire pressure as the tires warm up. Grip is much more consistent for the road. Once my Dunlops or Cup2's are done I will get the 4S (or S5 if available). I'm not setting lap times on the road and just want to enjoy driving the car and while I drove the Cup2's in all kinds of weather (cold and snow to hot and dry) I much prefer the 4S for the road.
I have found the Race-2 and Cup-2 tires great for extreme driving, but not so much for the street, they are not a calm tire on the road and when it gets cold or wet, they are less than adequate!

I looked at the PS4's for my Spyder, not for track but summer driving, and because there are no S5 yet I decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza Sport this time around, they stack up side by side with the PS4 in the dry testing and actually perform better in the wet.

The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 04:52 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 428 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Here is a nice compare between the coupe and drop top...

https://youtu.be/_JG08J9_Aes?si=91HJ2EfbgT3DkHmx
Originally Posted by JAhmed
unfortunately the comparison was performed by an absolute imbecile
so true
Old 04-11-2024, 07:22 AM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Planning on tracking the SRS are you, or is this tongue in cheek? Personally, I would not consider the RE71RS for street driving.
I mainly plan to autocross it. It is tempting to take to a big track but that is hard on a car.
I recently found out the RE71RS do not come in our size. I'm looking into other brands now. Maybe Yokohama, we'll see.
I've driven on R comps on the street before. I really don't find it a problem but you need to be aware of road debris as they can pick up everything. This wont be a daily driver for me. I hope to never have to put the roof up.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:52 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
so true
‘it’s sad. He spews so much wrong information as well. I remember his video on the meerblau speedster with the heritage inspired interior. He stated that this was a one off special exception car that the factory allowed as a pts car with the heritage package. 😂. My exclusive rep at that time summed it up the best…"fake news by 888mf". 🤦🏻‍♂️. After that, I cannot watch his crap channel.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:58 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,529 Likes on 2,662 Posts

I mainly plan to autocross it. It is tempting to take to a big track but that is hard on a car.
I recently found out the RE71RS do not come in our size. I'm looking into other brands now. Maybe Yokohama, we'll see.
I've driven on R comps on the street before. I really don't find it a problem but you need to be aware of road debris as they can pick up everything. This wont be a daily driver for me. I hope to never have to put the roof up.
I would never autocross my Spyder, and much prefer the bigger tracks.

You have a different use planned for the car than I would, I drive mine all of the time, nearly 10 thousand of kilometers a year so the drawbacks of track focused tires on the street are way more obvious... I have 3 sets of tires, each with their designated use.
Jay Cordeiro (04-11-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 11:15 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,227 Likes on 650 Posts

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...national-drive

One of the earliest Spyder RS reviews and includes some info not seen anywhere else including the sound of the SRS vs a 991.1 GT3.

My Spyder RS is supppsed to finish production at the end of this week!
I’m definitely starved for SRS information. I really hope that Chris Harris, Catchpole or Bovingdon do a review or comparative review such as GT4RS vs Spyder RS, or 991 Speedster vs Spyder RS, etc.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:03 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 436 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

One of the earliest Spyder RS reviews and includes some info not seen anywhere else including the sound of the SRS vs a 991.1 GT3.

I’m definitely starved for SRS information. I really hope that Chris Harris, Catchpole or Bovingdon do a review or comparative review such as GT4RS vs Spyder RS, or 991 Speedster vs Spyder RS, etc.
Nice article, thank you.

I remember reading recently that Noah @carswithnoah in RI is supposed to do a swap/ play date with a nearby Speedster owner from CT. That should be an excellent comparison, assuming each would critique his own (and the other guy’s) car honestly in public!
carswithnoah (05-04-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:07 AM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

I don't see why he faults the SRS for not getting ceramics & FAL. It's an option for those that need it. Personally I don't think I need the FAL but I am very happy with the ceramics.
I finished breakin today and I love this car.
​​​Life begins at 7000rpm & screams to 9000rpm!
McClown (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:09 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 436 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

It’s interesting that, according to that article, 2nd gear tops out at an astonishingly low 105 km/h which is 65.1 mph. That sounds really wonderful — finally, a set of gears that’s truly close-ratio!

But either the article is wrong or automobile-catalogue is wrong. Have a look at the gear speeds according to that web site, which is usually right on the money. Second gear to 73mph, 3rd gear to 101 mph. Would be nice to have the info from Porsche directly, but no such luck.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:29 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,227 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Nice article, thank you.

I remember reading recently that Noah @carswithnoah in RI is supposed to do a swap/ play date with a nearby Speedster owner from CT. That should be an excellent comparison, assuming each would critique his own (and the other guy’s) car honestly in public!
that would be a great comparison! I suggested something similar to an auto journalist earlier today.

Regarding the gearing is there no way to find that out? PCNA any help?
Old 05-04-2024, 02:41 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 242 Posts

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions