Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 04:46 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
haha, oops. guess that tells you where my mind was
The part that goes over is the Bimini top, the one that wraps around the sides is the Bikini?
Old 05-22-2024, 08:14 PM
aus
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone having trouble with the top?
My driver side window keeps catching the outside edge of the top when it's going up and it snaps into place with the top?
For the guys running it in bikini mode, do the window's catch the outside edge of the top and then snap into place?
Also the car keeps telling me the top isn't latched!!!

For the guys running it in bikini mode, do the window's catch the outside edge of the top and then snap into place?
I've messed with it over and over and keep getting this warning.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:22 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by aus
My driver side window keeps catching the outside edge of the top when it's going up and it snaps into place with the top?

Sometimes the windows act funny with the Bimini top in place. Here’s my fix.

When closing the windows with the Bimini top, it’s good practice to grab the top at a position towards the rear of the rear of the car and push the top outward (while seated inside) as the window rolls up to its final up position (if outside the car, pull the top towards you by grabbing it at a location towards rear of the car). BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR FINGERS! Make sure your finger is way rearward, above where the top position of the window would be, and out of the way of the window. Do each window independently, and you’ll have a happy seal.

The latch needs to be secure. If it’s secure, and the error message pops up, just unlatch it and relatch it; then pop up the fin clampers and fasten them back down. Be sure you’re in park.

Last edited by 348SStb; 05-22-2024 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:33 PM
carswithnoah
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by aus

Mine does the same thing every time with just the Bimini top up, I haven’t really bothered to try to fix it or anything. Seems fine thus far to me.

No issues with my latch.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:28 AM
aus
Advanced

I'm pretty sure my latch sensor is bad. I've loosened the latches in back over and over. Took the top off and put it back over and over and it the latch sensor keeps showing it's not securely latched.

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
According to this article https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/the...owered-monster, the original GT4RS test mule had the GT4 6MT. Even though us GT4 owners complain about the long gears, the extra 1k RPM would have made it even worse. So the torque doesn't seem to be the issue. Certainly, Porsche could have given the 6MT shorter gears, but perhaps would have a harder problem meeting some regulations. I think Porsche wanted the RS to only have PDK and if you want a 6MT, they'd rather sell a GT3 to you than a GT4RS. Since they didn't develop it for the GT4RS, no hope of seeing it for the SRS.
Originally Posted by carswithnoah
Mine does the same thing every time with just the Bimini top up, I haven’t really bothered to try to fix it or anything. Seems fine thus far to me.

No issues with my latch.
I have the same issue as you with just the bimini top up, but now it happens with the rear window in place too. That's now acceptable at this price point, especially when the passenger side works perfectly.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:50 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by aus

Mine does this, yes. Next time I install the top I’ll try to center better.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:31 PM
Mister Dre
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
Mine does this, yes. Next time I install the top I’ll try to center better.

I had the " Top not secure " type waring come up as well. I kept clicking and clicking it in, but the error message kept coming up. Then, a piece broke off of the plastic piece that slides into the latch part...or so I thought. The piece didn't physically break but popped out. So I just snapped it into place and the warning light went away. I would say check this piece on both sides if you encounter this light.

My window also hits whan closing, but not sure there is much to do but pull up on the top as you are closing the door.

350 miles on the odometer. Pretty sure I'll hit run in time this weekend, and so I will be able to hear what 9K sounds like. Cant wait !
Old 05-23-2024, 01:53 PM
dmboone25
Pro

Received 362 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Dre
I had the " Top not secure " type waring come up as well. I kept clicking and clicking it in, but the error message kept coming up. Then, a piece broke off of the plastic piece that slides into the latch part...or so I thought. The piece didn't physically break but popped out. So I just snapped it into place and the warning light went away. I would say check this piece on both sides if you encounter this light.

My window also hits whan closing, but not sure there is much to do but pull up on the top as you are closing the door.

350 miles on the odometer. Pretty sure I'll hit run in time this weekend, and so I will be able to hear what 9K sounds like. Cant wait !
Do you put the windows up with just the bikini top on? Is that even possible?
Old 05-23-2024, 02:00 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmboone25
Do you put the windows up with just the bikini top on? Is that even possible?
*Bimini top

Yes, the windows go up with just the Bimini top in place. The rear 3/4 areas will remain open-air; those become covered with the weather protector piece added.

See my post #228 above for tips.
The following 2 users liked this post by 348SStb:
dmboone25 (05-23-2024), Ferrarisimo (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 02:10 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,907 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by aus

Hey, I won't get my car till next month ... but if I am reading your comment properly this issue sounds similar to what I experienced with my 987 Spyder. It has same/similar tension lever system

What I found was that when putting the top (Sunshade or as it's now called Sunsail) up and under tension that it'd incrementally pull the top over ever so slightly, which would catch the same side window. Sometimes the window would actually be on the outside of the Sunshade.

In order to remedy this someone stood on the other side applying force to ensure the top is centered and not biased. This worked every time.

Is this what you're experiencing?

Shaggy
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 07:35 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Dre

I’ve had the window hitting issue, not the top not secure issue

I really like the top a lot and find it superior to the standard spyder. When you want the lightest GT roadster you take it off and keep it at home and when you want a Gt4rs touring you put only the Bimini top on. “Never listen to reviewers” remains undefeated.
The following 3 users liked this post by vcp13:
Jay Cordeiro (05-27-2024), n4v4nod (05-24-2024), TTFLT6 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 03:27 PM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 172 Posts

I wonder if we can get the car under 3000 lbs with antigravity battery, aftermarket exhaust, and top left at home. Configured with Weissach and PCCBs, but not Mg wheels. Sub-3000 is my goal.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:23 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheSince2013
I wonder if we can get the car under 3000 lbs with antigravity battery, aftermarket exhaust, and top left at home. Configured with Weissach and PCCBs, but not Mg wheels. Sub-3000 is my goal.
all of the options plus LWB should get you there.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:45 AM
aus
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Hey, I won't get my car till next month ... but if I am reading your comment properly this issue sounds similar to what I experienced with my 987 Spyder. It has same/similar tension lever system

What I found was that when putting the top (Sunshade or as it's now called Sunsail) up and under tension that it'd incrementally pull the top over ever so slightly, which would catch the same side window. Sometimes the window would actually be on the outside of the Sunshade.

In order to remedy this someone stood on the other side applying force to ensure the top is centered and not biased. This worked every time.

Is this what you're experiencing?

Shaggy
So you're saying latch the rear latches at the same time with another person?
I've put this top on and off about 8 times now trying to get that warning to go away. Half the time with someone on the other side helping center it.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:33 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aus
So you're saying latch the rear latches at the same time with another person?
I've put this top on and off about 8 times now trying to get that warning to go away. Half the time with someone on the other side helping center it.
This stinks, sorry to hear.

Is there any chance you are doing this procedure with the key in the on position? If yes, try doing the top without the key inserted at all.

No simultaneous anything is needed.

I will say I did see the warning message one singular time out of many dozens of top operations. The latch and rear fin clampers were secure, so I was surprised. What I did was release the two rear fin clampers, release the top latch (in that order), and then re-secure those, in that order, and the error message went away.

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions