Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 07:09 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora8
Everyone’s threshold for loudness is different. Anybody else find it ridiculous that you have to wear ear plugs to enjoy this car though?
I understand it is very subjective and will respect everyone's different levels of tolerability. The last I will say on the subject is that I find it surprising the need for ear plugs for SRS. Again, some of it may be me as my other cars are certainly louder. But I was able to listen to music and make phone calls from car yesterday with no issues whatsoever.
Old 06-08-2024, 07:48 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
This is pretty much exactly what I am expecting, and why I bought the musician grade ear plugs.

5 weeks.
Mind sharing a link to the ear plugs? I got cheap 3m ones.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Mind sharing a link to the ear plugs? I got cheap 3m ones.
I think we should definitely crowd source the choice of best quality earplugs for an SRS/4RS.

Suggestions welcome.

Personally I would like a pair of earplugs for my lady and I to share on a drive. One for my left ear and one for her right.

I definitely still want to hear the engine (and be safe and aware of my surroundings) with my other ear.

Last edited by Drifting; 06-08-2024 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:15 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I think we should definitely crowd source the choice of best quality earplugs for an SRS/4RS.

Suggestions welcome.

Personally I would like a pair of earplugs for my lady and I to share on a drive. One for my left ear and one for her right.

I definitely still want to hear the engine (and be safe and aware of my surroundings with my other ear.
The most you’ll get out of any quality ear plug is about 33 Db. I am pretty much an ear plug expert as I have been wearing them for 23 years and have literally carried a pair in my pocket every single day of those 23 years. I wear them religiously whether at a loud bar, night club, construction site, airplane, extended drive in a convertible with the top down, shooting range, etc. I put them in the little mini pocket on the right side of my jeans (above the main pocket) or I use a little pill pouch from Walgreen’s and place the plugs inside if not wearing jeans with such a pocket. I sprinkle spare pairs of ear plugs in those pill pouches in all sorts of different locations in case I forget my main pair: each car has a pair, my overnight bag has a pair, my toilet article bag has a pair, the lady keeps two pair in her bag, etc.

Colors have changed over the years so pick the color you like. There are some good flesh colored ear plugs available now. The foam bullet-shape is the best kind. The foam ear plugs of this kind of shape are all pretty much the same these days. Just don’t choose the cylinder shape which looks like a can of soup — it should be flat on side side and rounded on the other side.

I use a straight blade (like the ones used for straight razor shavors which are sold at beauty supply shops) to trim the ear plug down a bit. Everyone’s ear size is different, so trim accordingly against the flat edge. I trim off probably 2mm (I just checked with a ruler). For ladies, who typically have very small ear canals, a trim first against the flat edge and also on the long edge to reduce diameter is the trick.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foam...-8&oe=UTF-8&hl

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-08-2024 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:27 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,278 Posts

https://www.earasers.net

Someone in the Facebook SRS group recommended them. A variety of sizes and suppression. Supposed to be good maintaining sound quality while dropping volume. They aren’t cheap (for earplugs).

If the car peaks around 110, it seems anything 20db or better should be sufficient, yes?

Since. I don’t have my car yet, I can’t speak to efficacy.

Last edited by Adrift; 06-08-2024 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 09:26 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 777 Likes on 359 Posts

I use jabra. The really high quality ones won’t fit under my bike helmet but the lesser quality ones are still acceptable.
Old 06-09-2024, 03:36 AM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 172 Posts

I think it's crazy people are having to wear ear plugs in a stock passenger vehicle. Anyway these are nice and comfortable if you don't mind the colors and just want disposable plugs. Probably illegal to drive with them in. I haven't loved the reusable ones I've bought for concerts and things. I'm still due to pick up some custom molded musician's type earplugs from an audiologist soon. If money is no object I'd probably go that direction.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-09-2024, 04:09 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 777 Likes on 359 Posts

Another option:

The following users liked this post:
348SStb (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 07:04 AM
philippe911
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

for me if ther are a problem,its not the level of sound
it is the additionnal of sound tire+wind+engine+air duct+close ratio

and the consquence of non stop noise at any speed and on regular speed
Old 06-09-2024, 09:11 AM
Xhip
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

1600 kms on my SilverGT SRS. What a bullet.
Coming from a 992 gts, I was lacking suspension ability to ride fast on B roads. My first comment on the car will be this one: its suspension is a dream for the road. I can accelerate at full throttle on bumpy roads while maintaining excellent contact with the road, and despite the bucket seats the ride is extremely comfortable. what a pleasure ! while in gts I didn't dare ride on the many bumpy roads around my home, now they are open to me again. That SRS allows you to have fun whatever the state of the road. I think it's pretty unique for a GT.

second comment, the sound is fantastic. absolutely not painful for my ears, the decibels reached are pure pleasure. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Everyone has their own sensitivity to noise I guess.

Power at high rpm is fantastic, the car doesn't feel slow at all. The torque from 5000 revs is excellent, and with the sound ambiance, the emotion is more intense when I come out of a corner at full throttle than with the CGTS (even if the GTS accelerates harder).

It really feels like a racing car you can drive on every road. Unique product . I love it.

Last edited by Xhip; 06-09-2024 at 09:15 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Xhip:
Adrift (06-09-2024), coldfire (06-09-2024), Drifting (06-09-2024), JAhmed (06-09-2024), Jamie140 (06-09-2024), Mike981S (06-10-2024), RedCarrot (06-09-2024), UncleDude (06-09-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-09-2024, 10:05 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,278 Posts

I don’t expect to wear / need ear plugs, except in cases where I expect to be hard on the throttle a lot, in a semi continuous fashion. The regular spyder, on throttle, with the soul OAPs, was hardly quiet.

I’ll find out soon!
rwm (06-15-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Emsworth
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Xhip

1600 kms on my SilverGT SRS. What a bullet.
Coming from a 992 gts, I was lacking suspension ability to ride fast on B roads. My first comment on the car will be this one: its suspension is a dream for the road. I can accelerate at full throttle on bumpy roads while maintaining excellent contact with the road, and despite the bucket seats the ride is extremely comfortable. what a pleasure ! while in gts I didn't dare ride on the many bumpy roads around my home, now they are open to me again. That SRS allows you to have fun whatever the state of the road. I think it's pretty unique for a GT.

second comment, the sound is fantastic. absolutely not painful for my ears, the decibels reached are pure pleasure. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Everyone has their own sensitivity to noise I guess.

Power at high rpm is fantastic, the car doesn't feel slow at all. The torque from 5000 revs is excellent, and with the sound ambiance, the emotion is more intense when I come out of a corner at full throttle than with the CGTS (even if the GTS accelerates harder).

It really feels like a racing car you can drive on every road. Unique product . I love it.
Congratulations and beautiful car! Thanks for sharing your impressions esp re suspension. Are your wheels silver or satin alu? I have satin alu on my build and wondering how bright/shiny they'll look.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:57 AM
carswithnoah
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 28 Posts

I might be crazy but after now being able to rev out my car a bunch - the sound doesn’t bother me one bit. In fact, I just ordered an exhaust lol. Perhaps I’m losing my marbles a bit but who knows
Old 06-09-2024, 11:09 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,659 Likes on 2,712 Posts

Originally Posted by carswithnoah
I might be crazy but after now being able to rev out my car a bunch - the sound doesn’t bother me one bit. In fact, I just ordered an exhaust lol. Perhaps I’m losing my marbles a bit but who knows
It better be a loud one to hear over the intake!
Old 06-09-2024, 11:13 AM
Xhip
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Emsworth
Congratulations and beautiful car! Thanks for sharing your impressions esp re suspension. Are your wheels silver or satin alu? I have satin alu on my build and wondering how bright/shiny they'll look.
They are satin aluminium. It’s brighter than the silver gt body and are stunning. Though I highly recommend the PCCB to take advantage of it
Emsworth (06-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions