Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 12:00 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,562 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Maybe you meant to say set up to be “less quick.” That’s what I’ve heard all the reviewers say that discussed the topic. To avoid being jittery / tram-line less / flow more.

Of course, steering feel is super subjective, and one person's jittery is another person’s perfection. Is that something that is (easily) tweekable? I don’t recall it being discussed as a mod. Is it something the aftermarket supports?

Last edited by Adrift; 06-02-2024 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
348SStb (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 01:49 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 229 Posts

The Gt4rs doesn’t tramline and isn’t jittery imo. It feels heavy and inert until you provide sufficient input.

The spyder rs feels like it is a bit more athletic and it flows much better, which I suspect is a combination of the suspension and steering calibration combined with slightly reduced weight. Probably equal parts reality and perception.

This is steering and suspension feel. Drivetrain feel is identical
Old 06-02-2024, 02:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,428 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
The Gt4rs doesn’t tramline and isn’t jittery imo. It feels heavy and inert until you provide sufficient input.

The spyder rs feels like it is a bit more athletic and it flows much better, which I suspect is a combination of the suspension and steering calibration combined with slightly reduced weight. Probably equal parts reality and perception.

This is steering and suspension feel. Drivetrain feel is identical
This sounds right to me for the 4RS. The SRS should be a better road car because it was designed to be a road car, not a track car.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:17 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 78 Posts

It seems like SRS is setup to be faster though? they both start at around 17:1, but SRS go to 11 vs 4RS’s 12

Originally Posted by Adrift
Maybe you meant to say set up to be “less quick.” That’s what I’ve heard all the reviewers say that discussed the topic. To avoid being jittery / tram-line less / flow more.

Of course, steering feel is super subjective, and one person's jittery is another person’s perfection. Is that something that is (easily) tweekable? I don’t recall it being discussed as a mod. Is it something the aftermarket supports?
Old 06-08-2024, 12:47 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

Just picked up yesterday at PEC Atlanta.

Initial impressions are what a sweet little car. I will disagree that it is loud. It is not loud at all. It is actually kind of quiet. Certainly quieter than GT4 RS in the cabin with the top closed. With top open is not loud at all. Drove my car without top on highway keeping below 5000 rpm. But trashed PEC’s own SRS for delivery drive at their little track with top on. It is important to disclose that my 991.2 GT3 has akrapovic race headers with link pipe and race slip on and my 993 has fabspeed x-pipe with Fister stage III. So maybe I am a little biased. But I wanted a car that was as subdued as possible. Thus the color and spec. I am so happy it is where it is as far as noise and also so stealthy and kind of boring with everything kind of blending in.

I can understand the statement it feels “slow.” Driving it under 5000 rpm on highway feels slow. I think it is because it is soft, responsive, nimble. Soft but planted, not a boat. I absolutely love it for the purpose. So when I drive my GT3 that has pretty much same engine, it feels faster, but it is just that it is raw, rough, hard. It is far from a cruiser, just a well sorted suspension for the purpose.

It will never be a track car (thus the sofas for me) and I think there are much better cars for that. But I can say it was quite fun to drive at high revs on their little track, which is the band this engine comes alive. I do not agree that you can lose the rear easily. It is very balanced. Again, maybe I am biased by the siblings.

The interior is great. I was very concerned about all the chatter on alcantara. It feels just right. I think leather will take it too much to the other side. It deserves the sporty feel. The car is just the right size and so is interior. Does not feel tight at all.

I have ceramics and feels, as expected, like the ceramics I had on GT3 prior to switching to AP racing. It was not as nice to modulate as AP racing on track, not same grab, but brakes well, maybe because of weight. But I will not be using on track. So all I care about is no brake dust!

Whoever is complaining about the top is out of their mind. It is so easy to put on and take out. It is easily done by one person. In fact, I felt I did it faster by myself.

Obviously that is a 1-day observation. Maybe I am still in honeymoon phase and I am sure the complaints will come. But, lord, what a great car.
The following 12 users liked this post by aalencar:
348SStb (06-08-2024), Drifting (06-08-2024), Emsworth (06-08-2024), hk43 (06-08-2024), JAM2 (06-09-2024), Jay Cordeiro (06-14-2024), Leonel (06-08-2024), McClown (06-10-2024), Mike981S (06-09-2024), smilin (06-08-2024), sunnyr (06-08-2024), UncleDude (06-08-2024) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-08-2024, 01:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,707 Likes on 2,739 Posts

@aalencar Congrats on the pick-up!

The paint colour, the exterior shot of the hood, it looks almost like a deep metallic green?
Old 06-08-2024, 01:12 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
@aalencar Congrats on the pick-up!

The paint colour, the exterior shot of the hood, it looks almost like a deep metallic green?
thanks much. It is called dark olive.
Old 06-08-2024, 01:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,707 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
thanks much. It is called dark olive.
Wow, very nice choice, will look black at night or in subdued light, but in the bright sun come alive.
Old 06-08-2024, 01:18 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 537 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar

Just picked up yesterday at PEC Atlanta.

Initial impressions are what a sweet little car. I will disagree that it is loud. It is not loud at all. It is actually kind of quiet. Certainly quieter than GT4 RS in the cabin with the top closed. With top open is not loud at all. Drove my car without top on highway keeping below 5000 rpm. But trashed PEC’s own SRS for delivery drive at their little track with top on. It is important to disclose that my 991.2 GT3 has akrapovic race headers with link pipe and race slip on and my 993 has fabspeed x-pipe with Fister stage III. So maybe I am a little biased. But I wanted a car that was as subdued as possible. Thus the color and spec. I am so happy it is where it is as far as noise and also so stealthy and kind of boring with everything kind of blending in.

I can understand the statement it feels “slow.” Driving it under 5000 rpm on highway feels slow. I think it is because it is soft, responsive, nimble. Soft but planted, not a boat. I absolutely love it for the purpose. So when I drive my GT3 that has pretty much same engine, it feels faster, but it is just that it is raw, rough, hard. It is far from a cruiser, just a well sorted suspension for the purpose.

It will never be a track car (thus the sofas for me) and I think there are much better cars for that. But I can say it was quite fun to drive at high revs on their little track, which is the band this engine comes alive. I do not agree that you can lose the rear easily. It is very balanced. Again, maybe I am biased by the siblings.

The interior is great. I was very concerned about all the chatter on alcantara. It feels just right. I think leather will take it too much to the other side. It deserves the sporty feel. The car is just the right size and so is interior. Does not feel tight at all.

I have ceramics and feels, as expected, like the ceramics I had on GT3 prior to switching to AP racing. It was not as nice to modulate as AP racing on track, not same grab, but brakes well, maybe because of weight. But I will not be using on track. So all I care about is no brake dust!

Whoever is complaining about the top is out of their mind. It is so easy to put on and take out. It is easily done by one person. In fact, I felt I did it faster by myself.

Obviously that is a 1-day observation. Maybe I am still in honeymoon phase and I am sure the complaints will come. But, lord, what a great car.
Congratulations! Thanks for the writeup.

One thing I will comment on for the benefit of others is that respectfully say that the Spyder RS certainly is “loud.” I have 1,700 miles on mine and therefore have plentiful post-break-in experience. Just wait until you give it more than 50% throttle and 80-100% throttle. It’s quiet if you want it to be, yes. But if you need to accelerate hard, or want to accelerate hard, a slide trombone playing directly into your ear would be quieter than the Spyder RS. At 5,000 RPMs and 80-100% throttle, the decibel level is off the meter. And the sound of the engine and intake is literally right behind the left ear. I honestly don’t think there’s a single car produced today that has a louder setup in stock form; if there is, I’d like to know which car it is. I have an R8 Spyder which seems nearly silent compared to this car; so does C8 Z06 Corvette — and these are not known to be soft or quiet engines. When I was enjoying the RS without ear plugs, wanting to soak in all the soul and purpose of the car, I can say candidly I developed a terrific headache which lasted overnight into the next day; and I allowed this to happen more than once. Ear plugs are a must, and I never grab the keys without them. Problem solved.

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-08-2024 at 01:19 PM.
sunnyr (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 01:34 PM
Odin
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Congratulations! Thanks for the writeup.

One thing I will comment on for the benefit of others is that respectfully say that the Spyder RS certainly is “loud.” I have 1,700 miles on mine and therefore have plentiful post-break-in experience. Just wait until you give it more than 50% throttle and 80-100% throttle. It’s quiet if you want it to be, yes. But if you need to accelerate hard, or want to accelerate hard, a slide trombone playing directly into your ear would be quieter than the Spyder RS. At 5,000 RPMs and 80-100% throttle, the decibel level is off the meter. And the sound of the engine and intake is literally right behind the left ear. I honestly don’t think there’s a single car produced today that has a louder setup in stock form; if there is, I’d like to know which car it is. I have an R8 Spyder which seems nearly silent compared to this car; so does C8 Z06 Corvette — and these are not known to be soft or quiet engines. When I was enjoying the RS without ear plugs, wanting to soak in all the soul and purpose of the car, I can say candidly I developed a terrific headache which lasted overnight into the next day; and I allowed this to happen more than once. Ear plugs are a must, and I never grab the keys without them. Problem solved.
You don’t mention if you drive with valves open or closed? I never open mine in the GT4RS when just driving. 20 mins of PSE = migraine
Mike981S (06-09-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 01:48 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 537 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
You don’t mention if you drive with valves open or closed? I never open mine in the GT4RS when just driving. 20 mins of PSE = migraine
Exhaust is not what makes the car loud… it’s the intake and the engine. Frankly I don’t even know what the exhaust sounds like because all I hear is the engine. I ride with sport exhaust off most of the time just because I figure if there is additional noise I don’t need it. I honestly can’t tell the difference between sport exhaust and non sport exhaust - pressing the button usually results in (to me) no audible difference (except at low speeds around the neighborhood), and my hearing is outstanding (whereas other functions are not ).

(In my Boxster GTS 4.0, there is significant difference with sport exhaust. Same in my 991.2 Carrera S - even more of a difference. In my 2016 981 Spyder, not so much.)

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-08-2024 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 02:20 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

So, all I did so far was drive the PEC SRS for 2 hours at constant high rpm with top on then drive my own car for around 50 miles on highway with top off. Yes, it is indeed a different loud with the intake noise. But I did not feel uncomfortable at all.

But, again, I compare to my other cars that are real loud (turn off at drive thru to place order loud…). Reality is people will obviously have different thresholds. In the range you will spend a large proportion of your time, I felt it is really ok.

Last edited by aalencar; 06-08-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 04:41 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,562 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
This is pretty much exactly what I am expecting, and why I bought the musician grade ear plugs.

5 weeks.
Old 06-08-2024, 06:33 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 805 Likes on 370 Posts

I suppose sound pressure is subjective, but mine is loud, almost obnoxiously so. And the volume seems to outpace the performance. (compare to a 458 spider or CGT where the noise tracks exactly what the car is doing) I would prefer a quieter experience.
348SStb (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Acropora8
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Everyone's threshold for loudness is different. Anybody else find it ridiculous that you have to wear ear plugs to enjoy this car though?

Last edited by Acropora8; 06-08-2024 at 07:25 PM.
348SStb (06-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions