Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 01:45 AM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 267 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam07
Is it just me or has there been a large influx of used Spyders that have come to market in the last 1-2 weeks? Don’t follow the GT4 market as closely to know if the same has happened there, but have found it interesting that 2-3 of these “lower production” cars seem to pop up each day for sale. May just be a coincidence…
It's possible some of these are people who traded cars in or sold them to get into GT4 RS or forthcoming Spyder RS seats. Same for GT3 RS coming out though potentially fewer of those out there. I can easily think of at least three forum members off the top of my head who sold or traded Spyders or GT4s and got into an RS.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:50 AM
J-Rod
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Large influx in general for GT cars. I have never seen so many GT3's for sale in a 50 mile radius. Most have been sitting for 150 days plus. Just to move to another dealer and jack the price back up...

Exhibit A: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...dTNqCO4vyTdx7I

In what universe does a car sit unsold for 15 months and the price increases...and somehow accumulates 4k miles in the process of sitting unsold.... This is a giant bubble.
This is happening in the Spyder market too. A lot of cars sitting for weeks/months with minimal price movement. I'm pinging some of them with offers, but they seem content to have the cars sit on their lots at 20% over MSRP and collect dust.

The Spyder market is now between 100-107% of MSRP depending on year/spec. I'm just being patient.
The following users liked this post:
momo360 (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 02:37 AM
momo360
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
This is happening in the Spyder market too. A lot of cars sitting for weeks/months with minimal price movement. I'm pinging some of them with offers, but they seem content to have the cars sit on their lots at 20% over MSRP and collect dust.

The Spyder market is now between 100-107% of MSRP depending on year/spec. I'm just being patient.
just signed a deal on a CPO 2021 manual spyder with 9k miles for 108% of msrp. Never paid adm for a car, but I guess tis the market! Lol
Old 08-16-2023, 08:54 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,027 Posts

Originally Posted by momo360
just signed a deal on a CPO 2021 manual spyder with 9k miles for 108% of msrp. Never paid adm for a car, but I guess tis the market! Lol
Congrats! Sounds about market correct.

ADM (Additional Dealer Mark-up) is a term used to describe dealer charge above MSRP on a new car. When you buy used it's simply Market Value.
Old 08-16-2023, 09:18 AM
Don Fitzpatrick
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod

That might be your own perceived data point; but not what I am personally seeing as a seller.

I have gotten multiple offers for 115% of MSRP (I am asking over that). If you can accept some miles and be patient, no reason you cant hit your mark though! No reason the buying/selling process has to be so fraught with hate from both sides. I had a guy from rennlist come out, liked my car, shoot his shot (first offer was $18k low) and then started to come up from there. We seemed to be $2k apart and stalled negotiations and that is fine. Thats what he was willing to pay. No blame, no annoyance; thats just what he wanted to pay; and my price is what I am willing to let it go for.

I think the initial ADM from dealers made people feel like this whole process is a huge negative; and that somebody has to "win". I see this in a lot of people on rennlist too; namely some of the louder ones on here. Be honest with yourselves; its a TOY. You didnt buy a Spyder or GT4 (or want to buy one); because $5k is going to change your life. These cars are likely to sit long because the owners dont NEED to sell them for fire sales or with the monthly up and down of the market. Same with buying, you dont NEED one so you can be patient for the right car to come along.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don Fitzpatrick:
brock256 (08-16-2023), GTSPYDER23 (08-16-2023), sonorous (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 10:28 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,606 Likes on 2,692 Posts

Originally Posted by momo360
Congrats, the Spyder has been one of my all-time favorites!

Look forward to some pictures.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Fitzpatrick
That might be your own perceived data point; but not what I am personally seeing as a seller.

I have gotten multiple offers for 115% of MSRP (I am asking over that). If you can accept some miles and be patient, no reason you cant hit your mark though! No reason the buying/selling process has to be so fraught with hate from both sides. I had a guy from rennlist come out, liked my car, shoot his shot (first offer was $18k low) and then started to come up from there. We seemed to be $2k apart and stalled negotiations and that is fine. Thats what he was willing to pay. No blame, no annoyance; thats just what he wanted to pay; and my price is what I am willing to let it go for.

I think the initial ADM from dealers made people feel like this whole process is a huge negative; and that somebody has to "win". I see this in a lot of people on rennlist too; namely some of the louder ones on here. Be honest with yourselves; its a TOY. You didnt buy a Spyder or GT4 (or want to buy one); because $5k is going to change your life. These cars are likely to sit long because the owners dont NEED to sell them for fire sales or with the monthly up and down of the market. Same with buying, you dont NEED one so you can be patient for the right car to come along.
Agree 100 percent, however I’d note then that your price is not the market price. Market is the price at which a market clearing transaction occurs. It is determined by actual sales, not the bids or asks.

What appears to have happened is that a lot of GT4s and Spyders have come to market recently and there appears to be a widening bid-ask spread. But until more cars actually transact, it’s a bit unclear how much the actual market price is falling.
LeftLane50mph (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 01:22 PM
GTSPYDER23
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Fitzpatrick

exactly, $5k or even $15k won’t change the lives of most folks that buy this level of performance cars. If it does, you shouldn’t be buying it.

with that said, if you really want a car, just buy it. The future price could be more or less, but along the way, buyers miss months or even years of driving some of the very best cars available for the price.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTSPYDER23:
85Gold (08-16-2023), josephr25 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 01:33 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 441 Posts

I would quibble with the 5 to 10k over is no big deal, as the amount of transactions not going through because the buyer can't get financing is not insignificant. Also see the FSBO listings where the seller does not have title in hand. Yeah I'm a grumpy old Boomer but financing a TOY that you can't pay cash for is stupid.

Peter
Old 08-16-2023, 01:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

As the former owner of two 981 Spyders and one 718 GT4, and maybe a future 718 Spyder owner…my issue with the pricing is that, having owned these cars, I just don’t agree that they’re ‘some of the best drivers cars on the planet’. They are very good sports cars, quick, good looking, rewarding to drive fast. But, in my opinion, they are not worth $140/50/60k type of money.

I get how the free money era got us where we are with this massive asset bubble, but it doesn’t change how I actually feel about the car. I feel for anyone who pays $150k for one of these cars and then, after the shine fades a bit, realizes maybe they overpaid for the experience they’re actually getting.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
George from MD (08-16-2023), rwm (08-20-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 01:55 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
As the former owner of two 981 Spyders and one 718 GT4, and maybe a future 718 Spyder owner…my issue with the pricing is that, having owned these cars, I just don’t agree that they’re ‘some of the best drivers cars on the planet’. They are very good sports cars, quick, good looking, rewarding to drive fast. But, in my opinion, they are not worth $140/50/60k type of money.

I get how the free money era got us where we are with this massive asset bubble, but it doesn’t change how I actually feel about the car. I feel for anyone who pays $150k for one of these cars and then, after the shine fades a bit, realizes maybe they overpaid for the experience they’re actually getting.
Eh, I'd argue that times have changed. 100k isn't what it used to be. I remember 20 years ago you could get into a new M3 or Corvette for under 50k. Both of those cars are pushing 6 figures now. Even a modestly specced base 911 or 911T is in the 130-140k range.

For the price, I don't think there are many cars as good looking, capable, and enjoyable to drive as the 718 GT4/Spyder. Just my opinion and I'm sure others out there will disagree.

Last edited by rusmani; 08-16-2023 at 01:58 PM.
UncleDude (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 01:59 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,420 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani
Eh, I'd argue that times have changed. 100k isn't what it used to be. I remember 20 years ago you could get into a new M3 or Corvette for under 50k. Both of those cars are now pushing 6 figures now. Even a modestly specced base 911 or 911T is in the 130-140k range.

For the price, I don't think there are many cars as good looking, capable, and enjoyable to drive as the 718 GT4/Spyder. Just my opinion and I'm sure others out there will disagree.
I agree, and it is all relative. Paying $150k or so for a great car is not a lot of money for many, and a Spyder is a bargain compared to the very high-end exotics. That is why I keep flip-flopping on the sale on mine - I cannot find something I really like to replace it right now. I have kept it for just over 2 years so the time is coming no matter what...I have owned it for longer than many I have owned in the past.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:20 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Speaking of flood of new spyders in the market. A very well specced with LW buckets $120k MSRP model just popped up in socal listed at $125k with CPO. There weren't pics last time i checked the listing, but the only downsides are that it's black and mileage is a bit high at 20k. I wouldn't consider the mileage as much of an issue as the color black haha. But if you're in the market, i think that's a great deal based on current market values.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by rusmani
Eh, I'd argue that times have changed. 100k isn't what it used to be. I remember 20 years ago you could get into a new M3 or Corvette for under 50k. Both of those cars are pushing 6 figures now. Even a modestly specced base 911 or 911T is in the 130-140k range.
I get the inflationary aspect. I’m commenting on the car itself. Just my opinion, but my 2014 991S with SPASM/PDCC/PCCB’s was a more enjoyable car to drive than my GT4. If I had to choose between buying that car or my 2021 GT4 in similar condition, I’d be hard pressed to pick the GT4 on anything but maybe looks. Both great cars, but not $150k great. Just my opinion. Again, I really liked my GT4, just didn’t think it was a special’ car that should be touching the south end of exotic car money. I paid $125k for my GT4 and sold it back to my dealer for that, and IMO that was all the money and more.

Additionally, if I were doing it again, I’d choose a Spyder over a GT4.

Last edited by Archimedes; 08-16-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:52 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I would quibble with the 5 to 10k over is no big deal, as the amount of transactions not going through because the buyer can't get financing is not insignificant. Also see the FSBO listings where the seller does not have title in hand. Yeah I'm a grumpy old Boomer but financing a TOY that you can't pay cash for is stupid.

Peter
Agree, but if you have 1.4% interest loan and making 20% on the cash you didn't spend for the car makes a lot of difference. Just my .002

Quick Reply: New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale