Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 03:14 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
There’s not a lot of difference between a Cayman GTS 4.0 and a GT4; same chassis, less aggressive styling, no wing, slightly softer suspension. Even PDK is available on both models now. .
What?

Chassis is different. GT cars get the 991.2 front chassis and ball mount; including steering rack. Rear chassis bespoke to GT cars also

PASM, PSM, brakes, tires, wheels, aero front back under, etc. all different

GT PDK programming different.

GTS is a Cayman with the detuned 4.0 lug in it.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
TXRubicon (12-16-2022), Xxyion (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 04:17 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by absame
which is why the GTS is available it Guards Red, Speed Yellow, Python Green, shark blue, and … Ruby Star Neo!
So are GT3 Tourings and it's the same controversial thought for me. Why get a more subtle version of a GT3 without the attention seeking rear wing only to make it draw more attention with a bright color?

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
What?

Chassis is different. GT cars get the 991.2 front chassis and ball mount; including steering rack. Rear chassis bespoke to GT cars also

Chassis, as in plain body in white, is the same. Suspension setup/hardware is different, yes. I know all about the height adjustable coilovers, adjustable sway bars, split control arms, bigger brakes, different underbody aero panels and all. Yes, yes, yes... Don't worry, been around Porsches long enough to know the subtle differences between the models

From a buyers perspective though nothing on the GT4 is worse or less desirable compared to the GTS 4.0. All I'm trying to say is what would compel a person to choose a Cayman GTS 4.0 over a GT4 without an ADM would most likely be the subtlety and the less aggressive styling. The desirability behind the GT4/Spyder is proven by asking of ADM over GTS 4.0 siblings. The lack of a rear wing, less aggressive looks and availability of better color combinations (like Agate Metallic exterior with Espresso interior) are the only things more appealing about the GTS 4.0 over a GT4 to me, and I've thought about getting a Cayman GTS 4.0 many times myself purely for these reasons alone. If Excluding track use, legal speed limits globally, including highways except the autobahn, does not allow us to really experience the differences in either suspension or aero. Yes the GT4's suspension is stiffer but it's not uncomfortable. A GT4 is not in any way less livable on a daily basis compared to a GTS 4.0 except going up or down driveways with the bigger lip. A GTS 4.0 is a capped GT4 essentially. The engine on the GTS 4.0 is detuned via software, they're identical mechanically.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:19 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 170 Posts

The engine on the GTS 4.0 is detuned via software, they're identical mechanically.
Take this with a grain of salt but Matt Farah claimed he wanted a Boxster GTS 4.0 but Rick DeMan told him that something different in the engine meant he needed to get a Spyder to do the 4.5 conversion because of some small mechanical difference. Though subsequently I could have sworn I had heard of people with GTS 4.0 cars going to Rick to get the same engine treatment, and I hadn't heard this anywhere else. So maybe@Rick DeMan can clear it up as the resident guru. I'd love to know as someone who may own one of these one day myself.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:47 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Take this with a grain of salt but Matt Farah claimed he wanted a Boxster GTS 4.0 but Rick DeMan told him that something different in the engine meant he needed to get a Spyder to do the 4.5 conversion because of some small mechanical difference. Though subsequently I could have sworn I had heard of people with GTS 4.0 cars going to Rick to get the same engine treatment, and I hadn't heard this anywhere else. So maybe@Rick DeMan can clear it up as the resident guru. I'd love to know as someone who may own one of these one day myself.
Henry Catchpole has said the engines and manual transmissions are identical in his GTS review (not sure if PDK is different mechanically). We have not seen any test mules for the GTS models, they were released right after GT4 and Spyder. Plus it is probably easier (cheaper) to detune the engine electronically than mechanically considering you’ll need to design/develop new parts and do extensive testing to drop only 20hp or so.

Got no objections for someone with more experience than I to chime in about the engines in both models
Old 12-16-2022, 09:36 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

It seems like the days of GTS ADMs are over: those guys have been trying to get rid of this new nicely specced BGTS for MSRP for over a month now
Old 12-16-2022, 09:53 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

What?

Chassis is the same, exhaust is the same, transmission is the same... GT4\Spyder have a different (which doesn't mean better) front suspension, some aero, and better brakes.
But let's be honest - the main reason the GT4 is so much more desirable is the fact it is "a GT car" and that it looks better.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:22 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
Chassis is the same, exhaust is the same, transmission is the same... GT4\Spyder have a different (which doesn't mean better) front suspension, some aero, and better brakes.
But let's be honest - the main reason the GT4 is so much more desirable is the fact it is "a GT car" and that it looks better.
You should check out the press release.

Some aero…lol, ok.

You have “GT car” in air quotes, do know what makes it a GT car?

The chassis is different and GT specific.

A-pillar forward is the 991.2 GT3 front clip..subframe. Note axles, struts, springs and sub-frame language…that’s chassis differences.

From the press release:

High-performance GT chassis: optimized for the best driving dynamics
For the first time ever, the 718 Spyder benefits from the high- performance GT chassis of the 718 Cayman GT4. With its superior cornering dynamics, it provides a thrilling driving experience. Its further refined front and rear axles make use of racing technology such as lightweight struts and springs. The direct connection to the chassis is achieved by a partial use of ball joints. The Porsche Active Suspension Management damping system with a ride height 1.18 inches (30 mm) lower than standard 718 models lowers the center of gravity and improves lateral dynamics. The track-bred suspension sharpens the handling characteristics of the 718 Cayman GT4 and 718 Spyder. Porsche Stability Management (PSM) is specifically tuned to suit the performance and character of the two cars. As is typical for Porsche GT models, it can be deactivated in two stages. A mechanical limited slip differential as well as Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) further enhance longitudinal and lateral dynamics, cornering performance and driving pleasure.

A lightweight spring-strut suspension, designed to endure high loads, guides the front wheels with a high degree of precision and provides direct steering response. Spring struts are also used on the reinforced lightweight rear axle. Both the upside-down shock absorbers and the longitudinal and transverse control arms are taken from the 911 GT3, as are the subframes. The same applies to the special ball joints, which allow mounting of the chassis without play. The rear axle’s wheel knuckles have a unique design and provide additional stability.

Old 12-16-2022, 10:38 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

You should check out the press release.

Some aero…lol, ok.

You have “GT car” in air quotes, do know what makes it a GT car?

The chassis is different and GT specific.

A-pillar forward is the 991.2 GT3 front clip..subframe. Note axles, struts, springs and sub-frame language…that’s chassis differences.

From the press release:

High-performance GT chassis: optimized for the best driving dynamics
For the first time ever, the 718 Spyder benefits from the high- performance GT chassis of the 718 Cayman GT4. With its superior cornering dynamics, it provides a thrilling driving experience. Its further refined front and rear axles make use of racing technology such as lightweight struts and springs. The direct connection to the chassis is achieved by a partial use of ball joints. The Porsche Active Suspension Management damping system with a ride height 1.18 inches (30 mm) lower than standard 718 models lowers the center of gravity and improves lateral dynamics. The track-bred suspension sharpens the handling characteristics of the 718 Cayman GT4 and 718 Spyder. Porsche Stability Management (PSM) is specifically tuned to suit the performance and character of the two cars. As is typical for Porsche GT models, it can be deactivated in two stages. A mechanical limited slip differential as well as Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) further enhance longitudinal and lateral dynamics, cornering performance and driving pleasure.

A lightweight spring-strut suspension, designed to endure high loads, guides the front wheels with a high degree of precision and provides direct steering response. Spring struts are also used on the reinforced lightweight rear axle. Both the upside-down shock absorbers and the longitudinal and transverse control arms are taken from the 911 GT3, as are the subframes. The same applies to the special ball joints, which allow mounting of the chassis without play. The rear axle’s wheel knuckles have a unique design and provide additional stability.
Ah yes, let's try making an educated decision from a press release containing words like "High-performance", "best driving dynamics", "first time ever", and my fav "thrilling driving experience".
Old 12-16-2022, 11:57 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Ah yes, let's try making an educated decision from a press release containing words like "High-performance", "best driving dynamics", "first time ever", and my fav "thrilling driving experience".
An educated decision? You’re factually incorrect. I’m not really sure what there is to argue about.
The following users liked this post:
TXshaggy (12-16-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 12:08 AM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
An educated decision? You’re factually incorrect. I’m not really sure what there is to argue about.
​​​​​
Chassis, as in plain body in white, is the same. Suspension setup/hardware is different, yes. I know all about the height adjustable coilovers, adjustable sway bars, split control arms, bigger brakes, different underbody aero panels and all. Yes, yes, yes... Don't worry, been around Porsches long enough to know the subtle differences between the models
This guy was accurate.
Please enlighten me on what I was factually incorrect about.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:58 AM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 391 Likes on 208 Posts

Dolomite BGTS 4.0 in Victoria BC used for $154Can

Buy used Porsche 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 at Porsche Centre Victoria
Old 12-17-2022, 03:29 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 915 Likes on 365 Posts

I emailed them about this car the other day because I was curious. It’s NOT just MSRP. It’s not specifically ADM but you must buy about $10-$12k in required add-ons.

It seems like the days of GTS ADMs are over: those guys have been trying to get rid of this new nicely specced BGTS for MSRP for over a month now

Last edited by TXRubicon; 12-17-2022 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:54 AM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
I emailed them about this car the other day because I was curious. It’s NOT just MSRP. It’s not specifically ADM but you must buy about $10-$12k in required add-ons.
I was offered this car for MSRP without any add-ons a few hours ago, maybe because I am from California (not very local)

edit: I checked the SA email again - he indeed specifically said "deal at sticker for a local customer"

Last edited by Lucifer; 12-17-2022 at 04:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TXRubicon (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 05:38 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 915 Likes on 365 Posts

Did you have something to trade? I know a lot of the “local” requirements are for immediate vicinity so they can get the service revenue and first right of it when you go to sell/trade. Porsche dealers are really good at playing the game when it comes to making their money up front or over the long term 🤣

I was offered this car for MSRP without any add-ons a few hours ago, maybe because I am from California (not very local)

edit: I checked the SA email again - he indeed specifically said "deal at sticker for a local customer"
Old 12-17-2022, 10:44 AM
MotoFanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

My local dealer offered a GT4 @ MSRP if I purchased $5k of "Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur" options. I spec'd my car out and told them I couldn't get there but I did include a bunch of other non "Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur" options and they let me have the allocation. Not sure why they specified "Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur" options. Maybe there is a higher profit margin for those options?

Last edited by MotoFanatic; 12-17-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale