Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 10:40 AM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stark7x
Hello,

Is there a way to change the splash screen or boot logo on PCM for 991.1? I can easily change the boot logo on a gauge cluster to gt3, turbo, whatever… but can’t seem to find a way to do it on PCM. I looked at headUnit module, as well as few others… no dice. Has anyone changed theirs or found a way to do it?

thank you!
Anyone figured out how to change a PCM boot logo yet? Thanks!
Old 07-16-2023, 12:30 AM
2dmetal
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 718socal
I haven't found a way to reassign the buttons in the center console. You can disable the buttons. Word of caution if you change any setting for the buttons, you need to unplug your VCi and power cycle your car. If you don't do this, you'll lose the function. I don't know if you can add just a button because they are soldered to the center console board. SPORT or SPORT Plus did not work for me. They were already assigned to my Multi Function Wheel with the Sport Chrono ****. Here are some screenshots of the options available. First one is from a GT4, second and third are from my GTS.

(images snipped to avoid quote eyesores)
I want to start by saying that this thread is an absolute goldmine and thank you to everyone who has contributed. I'm just starting my PIWIS coding journey and this thread has been a huge help.

I have a 2017 Carrera with Sport Chrono. I added center console buttons for Sport, Sport+, Exhaust Valve, and FAL. I can confirm that the Sport and Sport Plus buttons I added don't do anything on my car either, but the Exhaust Valve button works really well. I'm also working on retrofitting a factory FAL system, but that's a much bigger project that I'm not done with yet.

Before and after screenshots:

Quick video showing the exhaust valve button in action, including LED feedback during Sport and Sport+ activations: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EScxqKUf26M

Adding the physical buttons was really easy. I got a used center console switch panel with the buttons I wanted. Unscrew the back cover, remove the circuit board and rubber membrane panel. Switch blanks can be pushed out from the back. Switches can be removed by prying gently on the switch top to pop it off from the front. The switch bodies can then be removed by pushing down from the front to pop them out. The chrome separators can also easily be pried out from the front.

Some observations to be aware of when adding switches: I've now disassembled three different center console panels. One from my car (2017 Carrera, no sunroof), one from a 2017 911 Turbo S Convertible, and one from a 2014 Cayman. They all had identical membrane panels and circuit boards that would accept 5 switches per side and three center switches (for convertibles/sunroofs), but they had different numbers of backlight/indicator LEDs fitted. My car's board had all 10 side position LEDs populated, the Turbo S had 4 right and 4 left LEDs, and the Cayman had 4 left and 3 right LEDs. I have no reason to believe that you can't assign switches to positions with no LEDs, but obviously they won't light up. I was planning to desolder the LEDs and current limiting resistors from my spare board(s) and stick them on mine, but since mine had all the LEDs I didn't have to deal with it.

As far as the Sport and Sport+ buttons go, I'm not sure that I care enough to dig deeper into figuring out if they can be made to work. I'll probably just stick blanks back in those positions. I also have an option for the Pit Speed Limiter button in the PIWIS assignments, so I'll probably just try that to see if it works.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:51 AM
vartech
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Easy Entry coding. Does anyone use the Easy Entry with their memory seats? I saw this in the Panamera forum.

There are some settings in PIWIS to change how the driver seat is moved forward and backward. I coded this on all my BMW cars before.
is this on PCM 4? if so where is it coded on piwis?
Old 07-18-2023, 10:42 AM
vartech
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I haven't found a way to reassign the buttons in the center console. You can disable the buttons. Word of caution if you change any setting for the buttons, you need to unplug your VCi and power cycle your car. If you don't do this, you'll lose the function. I don't know if you can add just a button because they are soldered to the center console board. SPORT or SPORT Plus did not work for me. They were already assigned to my Multi Function Wheel with the Sport Chrono ****. Here are some screenshots of the options available. First one is from a GT4, second and third are from my GTS.

Do you know where you go to see the assigned buttons on steering sport chrono ****?
Old 07-18-2023, 06:13 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2dmetal
I want to start by saying that this thread is an absolute goldmine and thank you to everyone who has contributed. I'm just starting my PIWIS coding journey and this thread has been a huge help.

I have a 2017 Carrera with Sport Chrono. I added center console buttons for Sport, Sport+, Exhaust Valve, and FAL. I can confirm that the Sport and Sport Plus buttons I added don't do anything on my car either, but the Exhaust Valve button works really well. I'm also working on retrofitting a factory FAL system, but that's a much bigger project that I'm not done with yet.
2dmetal, I was considering retrofitting the factory FAL system at one point so let me know if you want to talk sometime and exchange notes. I'm in the LA area as well.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:24 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by vartech
is this on PCM 4? if so where is it coded on piwis?
That was on PCM 6. There are some settings for Easy Entry in PCM 4
Old 07-18-2023, 06:27 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vartech
Do you know where you go to see the assigned buttons on steering sport chrono ****?
I believe that you have to go to the Multi Function Wheel module. The center console buttons are in the BKE module.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:30 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krburrell
2dmetal, I was considering retrofitting the factory FAL system at one point so let me know if you want to talk sometime and exchange notes. I'm in the LA area as well.
I would join you guys if you decide to meet and exchange coding info about FAL. I am always interested to see what we can retrofit with PIWIS 👍
Old 07-19-2023, 07:47 AM
filth
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it possible to force valves open with piwis3 on a 718 GTS4.0 when the exhaust button is pressed and go to default mode when the button is not active? Can anyone point me to the correct settings?

Last edited by filth; 07-19-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:21 PM
2dmetal
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krburrell
I would join you guys if you decide to meet and exchange coding info about FAL. I am always interested to see what we can retrofit with PIWIS 👍
Definitely down for some kind of chat and/or meetup. I've got the pump, controller, perches/actuators, and springs. Just missing plumbing and brackets now. I've been poking through PIWIS for relevant parameters while I get the hardware ready.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:30 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by filth
Is it possible to force valves open with piwis3 on a 718 GTS4.0 when the exhaust button is pressed and go to default mode when the button is not active? Can anyone point me to the correct settings?
Start with post 581. You’re gonna have to find the other settings in the DME and BKE
Old 07-31-2023, 07:29 PM
CharlieBrown991
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default PIWIS 3 Coding

I just want to tank 718socal for helping me with PIWIS 3 Coding on my 911 as well as another gentleman who came from Arizona to have his spider (gorgeous car) coded too. I still have a lot more to learn in regards to coding these cars, but so far I am very happy.
The following 3 users liked this post by CharlieBrown991:
718socal (07-31-2023), DrainsWalletsFast (07-31-2023), The Leucardian (08-10-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 05:48 PM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_357
It does not, last mode only remembers Auto Stop/Start and PASM setting, at least on my GT4 and prior Cayman 4-cyl.
That's a bummer, thanks for confirming though. I hit the PSE and auto start/stop button every time I get in the car, solving for only one isn't really useful.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:10 PM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stark7x
Anyone figured out how to change a PCM boot logo yet? Thanks!
Anyone... Anyone?
Old 08-10-2023, 02:17 PM
The Leucardian
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also very interested in this one. I probably need to get a battery charger so I don't have the battery going dead on me while I search the PIWIS interface. I think "abgasklappe" (or "abgasklappen" for plural) is the German word for the exhaust valves, in case that helps anyone else searching for this parameter.

Quick Reply: PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request