Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 01:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,325 Likes on 2,460 Posts

I might pay for PTS if I found a PTS color I liked enough to pay the extra cost, but the cost being so high is a turnoff for me. I don't like being gouged, and it's clearly gouging. PTS paints aren't higher quality paints, they're just different colors. Lots of manufacturers offer colors similar to PTS colors without charging such high costs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
348SStb (03-24-2024), n4v4nod (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 01:09 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 514 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I might pay for PTS if I found a PTS color I liked enough to pay the extra cost, but the cost being so high is a turnoff for me. I don't like being gouged, and it's clearly gouging. PTS paints aren't higher quality paints, they're just different colors. Lots of manufacturers offer colors similar to PTS colors without charging such high costs.
Well said.

Let’s be candid about this. BMW’s paint colors are fun, always changing, include heavy flake metallics, and are downright better than what Porsche offers. Just look at their Black Sapphire and Mineral White Metallic and compare it to the corresponding Porsche colors. And they aren’t charging huge premiums.

The paints that Bentley and Aston Martin offer are way better than what Porsche offers into another stratosphere, and again without the exorbitant charges.

I remember how hard my sales guy and I would laugh at the sum of some $3,500 for Paint to Sample some years ago.

With all this being said, I am a sucker and an addict. Fast forward several years to today, and I’m paying nearly $28k for a flat paint color. Downright crazy. They got me. I don’t know how, but they did it.
The following 4 users liked this post by 348SStb:
fasteddie99 (03-25-2024), Manifold (03-24-2024), n4v4nod (03-24-2024), Odin (03-29-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

The ADM on my 4RS depleted my PTS budget. 🤣🤣
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 01:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,325 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Well said.

Let’s be candid about this. BMW’s paint colors are fun, always changing, include heavy flake metallics, and are downright better than what Porsche offers. Just look at their Black Sapphire and Mineral White Metallic and compare it to the corresponding Porsche colors. And they aren’t charging huge premiums.

The paints that Bentley and Aston Martin offer are way better than what Porsche offers into another stratosphere, and again without the exorbitant charges.

I remember how hard my sales guy and I would laugh at the sum of some $3,500 for Paint to Sample some years ago.

With all this being said, I am a sucker and an addict. Fast forward several years to today, and I’m paying nearly $28k for a flat paint color. Downright crazy. They got me. I don’t know how, but they did it.
Porsche are masters at pulling at our heartstrings. They understand us better than we understand ourselves.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:48 PM
mrnotwo
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said.

I'm with you and I am tempted to get PTS because I don't like any default color options for spyder rs.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:36 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 683 Posts

Well said.

Agree with all on this page. My Spyder RS will be the first PTS Porsche I have ever ordered. I have previously ordered 6 new porsches without PTS. Difference for me here is that the Spyder RS is a one of a kind unicorn special car. I don't plan to ever sell my SRS, so I'm more willing to spend money on color and options for this car.

If you're a guy who gets a new 911/718 every 3-4 years as a daily or weekend car, then I agree that PTS really doesn't make sense for the cost.

However, when it comes to special "keeper" cars like the SRS. Porsche got me. I'm paying the 28K for PTS and the obligatory WP. For this one situation and special car, I will pay the PTS premium.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:39 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with all on this page. My Spyder RS will be the first PTS Porsche I have ever ordered. I have previously ordered 6 new porsches without PTS. Difference for me here is that the Spyder RS is a one of a kind unicorn special car. I don't plan to ever sell my SRS, so I'm more willing to spend money on color and options for this car.

If you're a guy who gets a new 911/718 every 3-4 years as a daily or weekend car, then I agree that PTS really doesn't make sense for the cost.

However, when it comes to special "keeper" cars like the SRS. Porsche got me. I'm paying the 28K for PTS and the obligatory WP. For this one situation and special car, I will pay the PTS premium.
I am assembling VINs (trying to, anyway) for leather dashes with deviated stitching in case I and/or others want to order a leather dash to replace the obligatory Race-Tex. Did you do deviated stitching?
Old 03-24-2024, 02:51 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Fair point...

With my 987 Spyder, you didn't have a public palette to choose from, you had to submit actual paint samples to Porsche for achievability testing. I tried multiple times with all my selections rejected. After several attempts, I missed the window. Then by luck while searching inbound dealer inventory, I happen to find a Riviera Blue one that was unspoken for. Walters Porsche had a history of ordering PTS for dealer inventory. So it was pure luck. It wasn't a color I would have chosen on my own, but gave it a shot.

Now with my 981 Spyder, I managed to snag a PTS slot again, but specifically worked with someone in the exclusive department. I'm a sucker for the older solid grey colors. When the 911 Sport Classic debut, I fell in love with it. Keep in mind back then, no cars were colored solid grey (unlike today). It was a color that was previously banned and was just released.

Fast forward to the present... Porsche has Chalk and Arctic Grey (Both I have owned and love). Thus the reason I ordered Arctic again. So maybe I would be have a different POV if those colors were not around. Although I said otherwise earlier, I agree PTS should be about ordering a special color with meaning to the buyer rather than something due to rarity or others opinion on resale.

Well it is what it is, and the process is way easier now for those that choose to get one.
When I was getting my 981 GT4, I had the option of PTS, but my favorite Porsche color - Carmine Red - was available anyway, so I passed on PTS. Now for 4RS, I again tried for Carmine Red through PTS, but Porsche said no, so went for my 2nd favorite Porsche color. - Signal Yellow.
Mike981S (03-25-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 03:04 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 85 Posts

I am assembling VINs (trying to, anyway) for leather dashes with deviated stitching in case I and/or others want to order a leather dash to replace the obligatory Race-Tex. Did you do deviated stitching?
Race-Tex only comes and is obligatory on WP cars. Not 100% sure but I don't think you can remove it on a WP car unless you go CXX.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:08 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay Cordeiro
Race-Tex only comes and is obligatory on WP cars. Not 100% sure but I don't think you can remove it on a WP car unless you go CXX.
After delivery, you can order the parts and swap them out.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:11 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 85 Posts

After delivery, you can order the parts and swap them out.
Interesting idea. Anyone know what the whole dash would cost?
Old 03-24-2024, 03:16 PM
geistspyder
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Kinda like the Carbon pieces which might be easier.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:35 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 683 Posts

I did do the full deviated stitching package in Guards red. I greatly prefer a leather steering wheel and I still wanted red stitching on that steering wheel/gear ****, so my car will have the full deviated stitching package in Guards red.

If there is an option to replace the race tex dash with a leather dash and the same guards red stitching, I would be interested.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:37 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drifting
I did do the full deviated stitching package in Guards red. I greatly prefer a leather steering wheel and I still wanted red stitching on that steering wheel/gear ****, so my car will have the full deviated stitching package in Guards red.

If there is an option to replace the race tex dash with a leather dash and the same guards red stitching, I would be interested.
That’ll look awesome.

Work in progress. Will update my Spyder RS Reference Thread on this once I have the info.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:54 PM
geistspyder
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cordeiro
My car will have full leather with RY stitching no wp
n4v4nod (03-24-2024)

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread