Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 12:30 AM
carswithnoah
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Given there have been accidents reported that didn’t happen I don’t trust it.
Pulled thousands of carfaxes at this point - that’s not an issue. I’ll send you my SRS vin if you want to order a dash lol nothing will happen
The following 2 users liked this post by carswithnoah:
348SStb (03-25-2024), Ferrarisimo (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:10 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
You don’t have to give anyone your VIN, right? And nobody is pressing for it, right? So what do you mean you don’t trust it? Don’t trust what, and for what purpose?

Unfortunately you are publishing stuff that isn’t substantiated. When has an accident appeared on CarFax that didn’t happen? Sure, I take you at your word — but I don’t believe for one second that wasn’t an oddball, isolated case. I’ve been looking at multitudes of CarFaxes way too long.

Ever order a part for your car at the parts desk using your VIN? I can’t imagine you haven’t, but I know I and many others have on many occasions. Do you think the conspiring CarFax gods are triggered when a dashboard is ordered but not when a lesser part is ordered? I ordered a leather armrest for my SL63 last summer using my VIN to obtain the exact leather color etc. I just ran a CarFax in your honor, and there is no evidence of the order there. And if there were, I imagine I could scare someone away by telling the person I simply ordered a leather armrest because I didn’t like the one that was there.

You don’t have to trust it, and I respect your prerogative to have and maintain a conservative approach here — I’m not being wise. I have said what I said so others can review perspective from the other side.
Publishing stuff? I'm giving my opinion. I don't trust carfax. There are too many errors. I have someone in a group I'm in that had an accident show up on a carfax for their Macan that never happened. And they are still struggling to get it off of it. There have been people that have bought cars and unfortunately didn't see evidence of an accident and after they acquired the car the CarFax reported an accident. CarFax is far from perfect and is only as good as the information that is being reported to it. It's not like they do any diligence on the data they receive. If you think it is perfect and these would be oddball, isolated cases than that is fine for you, but I don't trust it. Is it a resource, yes, but I don't like it and I don't have to like it, that's my opinion. I'm sorry that I don't know all of the information that CarFax picks up and doesn't pick up and had/have a concern that it might pick up an order for a full dash thinking the car may have been in an accident. As you state, I asked and stated my thoughts so others can review my perspective as well.

I never said anyone was pressing me for my VIN.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:19 AM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I looked at every single PTS and non-PTS color for my 4RS, and concluded that my two favorites were Guards Red and GT Silver. I went with GT Silver. I wouldn’t choose a color I don’t prefer in the hope that it would raise the market value of the car beyond the additional cost of the PTS.
I did this too, I preferred Guards red to all other colours, PTS or not.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:22 AM
Amochosto
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlee504
Personally I think it screams red...and would have done GTS Red or Carmine red if they were available but I think that would have been PTS plus or whatever its called.. I went with GT Silver because I didn't get the option.
Why not Guards red? too much Orange?
Old 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 514 Likes on 291 Posts

I do like Guards Red but man does that color show every swirl and microscopic scratch. I recently saw a Cayman in Guards Red which was like two years old and the paint showed lots of wear.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:03 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Originally Posted by triggermike
Hi Everyone, this is my first post on here. I have a SRS on the way. thought I would share my spec.

https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...dFrom=PRV6P166
Looks very similar to mine except I got WP, I decided to get the black painted calipers, just to make the theme of the car Black/Red, with no yellow to clash with it..
All the best
Old 03-25-2024, 12:24 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 85 Posts

Hi Everyone, this is my first post on here. I have a SRS on the way. thought I would share my spec.

https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...dFrom=PRV6P166
We are all different so get what you prefer. Personally I would go painted black calipers on that spec. Optioning an SRS is something personal that atleast I feel I will remember for the rest of my life, what a journey.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:21 PM
triggermike
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Amochosto
Looks very similar to mine except I got WP, I decided to get the black painted calipers, just to make the theme of the car Black/Red, with no yellow to clash with it..
All the best
Yes agree, and I placed the order with black calibers on my ceramics. Porsche rejected it and I also noticed that on the configure on the website it says in the fine print that black calibers are not availabe on SRS. weird as ive seen some around. After more thought, its actually better this way as im not paying for the black caliber and I will likely change the caliber color to match the car when it arrives.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:04 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 85 Posts

Yes agree, and I placed the order with black calibers on my ceramics. Porsche rejected it and I also noticed that on the configure on the website it says in the fine print that black calibers are not availabe on SRS. weird as ive seen some around.
Weird they must have run out. Painting them afterwards to match is a good then. 👍
Old 03-25-2024, 03:47 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I do like Guards Red but man does that color show every swirl and microscopic scratch. I recently saw a Cayman in Guards Red which was like two years old and the paint showed lots of wear.
I would assume PPF (which self heals) ameliorates this a lot, if not entirely. No?
Old 03-25-2024, 04:11 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adrift
I would assume PPF (which self heals) ameliorates this a lot, if not entirely. No?
I imagine so.

I typically ppf only the front end and rocker panels.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:13 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 683 Posts

I have a guards red 991.2 GT3. Paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coat done by glistening perfection in LA.

Paint still looks great after 5 years 15,000 miles and multiple track days.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:16 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drifting
I have a guards red 991.2 GT3. Paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coat done by glistening perfection in LA.

Paint still looks great after 5 years 15,000 miles and multiple track days.
Glad to hear that. I don’t doubt that your level of detail and the attention you pay to your cars are very far from the norm.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,674 Likes on 2,720 Posts

The colour of the paint can make the swirls marks easier to see, but no matter what the colour they are there. Generally speaking, the darker the colour the easier to see.

Originally Posted by Adrift
100%, self-healing film is a godsend for minimizing swirl marks!
The following users liked this post:
Adrift (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 05:50 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Yes agree, and I placed the order with black calibers on my ceramics. Porsche rejected it and I also noticed that on the configure on the website it says in the fine print that black calibers are not availabe on SRS. weird as ive seen some around. After more thought, its actually better this way as im not paying for the black caliber and I will likely change the caliber color to match the car when it arrives.
Weird, I specced, Black calipers and it got through. I wonder why it's changed, surely there's no shortage of black paint.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread