Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 06:06 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Ticking noise does not seem as loud past 1000 miles
Maybe just getting used to it
Old 10-03-2021, 06:20 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
Ticking noise does not seem as loud past 1000 miles
Maybe just getting used to it
Agree - I just went over 1k miles yesterday, but having headers and a Race exhaust help. I still hear it though, which is why I am going to try 5/50 oil when it gets changed for the first time. And no, it is not C40 and I do not care!
The following users liked this post:
kwikit356 (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 06:54 PM
kevinofpa
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Another Major-Plus to having that done was the A/C kicked-Serious-Butt after all the work was completed.
Car was like a darn refrigerator.
Interesting side effect!
Old 10-03-2021, 08:33 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I'm not against a beautiful engine noise, like that which eminated from the 3.8 Mezger in my 997.2 GT3RS. Intoxicating would be putting it mildly, and at 4000 RPM when the genie comes out of the bottle? EPIC.

But... and I do love my new 718 Spyder for the exquisite combination of the chassis and power and brakes, but... the engine noise, the tick-tick-tick, and a high pitched squeal, almost like a loose fan belt in cars of yesteryear, I'm not super fond of. And to make it worse, just last week I drove my buddies 997.1 GT3 RS with the centre muffler delete and wow. Again, a reminder of just what a fantastic sounding engine that is.

Of note, I do think it's getting better with rising KMs. I'm up at 4000 now and I think it's sounding better.

So what can we do to make it more like those true GT engines? I'm starting slowly, with the sound symposer delete...
Old 10-03-2021, 10:12 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

After listening to the Drop Box clip, to me it sounds like the piezo injectors opening and closing. If I recall correctly, I remember reading that the 3.0L turbo engine uses a much higher pressure fuel pump as opposed to the 9A1 N/A engine. I don't think the noise is the fuel pump itself, but the higher fuel pressure it puts out may be causing the injector noise. Also, the 9A2 turbo engines in 991.2 and 992.1 cars may have the sounds soothed by the turbines spinning, though when I try to think about it logically that idea comes up short. Somebody mentioned that the sound may be louder in the 4.0L N/A engine in the Cayman/Boxster because of the open vents. Has anyone listened carefully at those locations? Anybody taken the engine cover off their Cayman GTS/GT4? I used to have a stethoscope, but it got lost. I now use the cardboard tube from a paper towel roll, or if it's a hard-to-access spot, a longer wrapping paper roll.

My old 356C made so much wind noise through old seals that I had to start using ear plugs when I drove it. Many years ago on a road trip from NH to Chicago I was stopped by a NYS Trooper coming off the Berkshire Extension of the NY Throughway onto I-87 North because my quite old BMW 325is exhaust was so loud. He commented about this, so I had to take the plug out of my left ear to clearly understand him. He just laughed when I told him I could not stand the noise either. He just sent me on my way.

I don't have my car yet, and it looks to be a long time. I'll play the Drop Box sound for a friend who has been working on Porsches for more than forty years and get his opinion.
Zeus993 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 10:39 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 827 Posts
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Another Major-Plus to having that done was the A/C kicked-Serious-Butt after all the work was completed.
Car was like a darn refrigerator.
Originally Posted by kevinofpa
Interesting side effect!
Yes, major change in the A/C as well as the Heat in the winter in the cabin.
I did it to reduce the Road-Noise but there were other positive effects from it.
Like, interior was a heck of a lot Quieter !!!

Terry
Old 10-09-2021, 11:49 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Original poster and commentators,

Is this the noise you are talking about?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47m7nxnsb...oY730bQHa?dl=0

This noise absolutely kills me- I despise the noise and I think it is extremely unbecoming of any expensive car let alone of a top German brand.

I hear it driving though the neighborhood, through parking lots, and at urban speed. It clunks faster and faster according to engine speed. This is NOT your usual Porsche valve tick or GT3 tin-can sound.

In my history, I have ordered 2 naturally aspirated 911s (2015 and 2016 GTS, one manual one PDK) and one naturally aspirated 2016 Spyder brand new prior to ordering this car in addition to having owned countless other cars including used Porsches (2018 GT3 Touring, etc). Never heard anything like this.

At a stoplight, this noise usually occurs but it does have a mind of its own- will go off an on- Morse code, as someone said 😂 To me it sounds like flywheel chatter (I don’t know). What do we think it is? Why is the noise a bit random?

The dealer said the Porsche engineer said the sound is normal, they couldn’t tell me what it was, and they wouldn’t help beyond that.
Yep, that's the one.

BUT GOOD NEWS!

After 4000 Kms it appears to be much, much better!!! Actually stopped today.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:49 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Yep, that's the one.

BUT GOOD NEWS!

After 4000 Kms it appears to be much, much better!!! Actually stopped today.
+1
I have a BGTS but a PDK. Only noticed Piezo injector noise in my 1st few days with the car. Either got used to it or it is less noticeable as car breaks in. Either way did not bother me.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:32 AM
ACJ74
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally a post regarding the worst thing about the new 4.0 engine. In my Spyder ( 2021 model with PDK) I have the same problem. To me the worst part is during downshifting below 4000 rpms - here I am getting the “taxi diesel ticking noise” the most.

Never had this ticking sound on other Porsche cars. I also believe that this noise is from the injectors and unfortunately something that is just very audible in the car because of the placement of the engine and the intakes.

So my question is how do we fix this?

After watching / reading so many reviews about the car before I got it - I was afraid that I wouldn’t like the sound of this model - but over 4000 rpms it’s not that bad ( yes it can be louder and more GT3 high pitch ) but that can be fixed with exhaust mods etc.

But will a new exhaust fix the noise problem below 4000 rpms ? Or will it limit the injection ticking noise ?

I am also considering a valve controller so the valves will be open all the time simply to get more exhaust volume that can limit the ticking noise.

Since some of you have done this mods - my question to you is did it help the sound down low when just driving around town.

What has it done to the sound on downshifting ?

Old 10-10-2021, 10:49 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

I have almost 12,000 miles on my Cayman GTS 4.0. This sound does not go away. It does not diminish. It is as strong as ever. When I first got my car car, I took it into the dealer to complain, and they said it was normal. I was so upset at the time that I started discussions with them about taking it back. (I am very glad I didn't follow through with that - I LOVE this car!!)

This is the Piezo Electric Injectors. They were new to the 992 in the 3.0, and that carries over to our 4.0's, which are based on those. The 992s make the same noise, but it is not as loud/noticeable because we have the open intakes. I rented a 992 Carrera PDK for the weekend - same noise, but quieter.

Exhaust mods and valve controllers do nothing to diminish or change the noise.

I have gotten used to it, and I don't think about it much anymore. (Seeing this thread over the last week has made me notice it again...) I accept it as part of the package. This is the best car and the best engine on the market for my tastes right now, at least for less than $150K (meaning short of a GT3). This issue does not change my mind about that. What else would I buy? There is nothing else.

If I were to make a list of shortcomings of the car, this would be #2, with #1 being the stock exhaust sound and the work required to find the optimum setup, making the exhaust sound better without introducing too much drone.

#3? I don't know, I start to get into nitpicking little things from there. I don't really have a problem with the long gearing, you just have to use First more, and it is pretty dang glorious.
The following 3 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
us291271 (10-21-2021), YTownSpyder (06-10-2022), Zeus993 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 10:57 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
I have almost 12,000 miles on my Cayman GTS 4.0. This sound does not go away. It does not diminish. It is as strong as ever. When I first got my car car, I took it into the dealer to complain, and they said it was normal. I was so upset at the time that I started discussions with them about taking it back. (I am very glad I didn't follow through with that - I LOVE this car!!)

This is the Piezo Electric Injectors. They were new to the 992 in the 3.0, and that carries over to our 4.0's, which are based on those. The 992s make the same noise, but it is not as loud/noticeable because we have the open intakes. I rented a 992 Carrera PDK for the weekend - same noise, but quieter.

Exhaust mods and valve controllers do nothing to diminish or change the noise.

I have gotten used to it, and I don't think about it much anymore. (Seeing this thread over the last week has made me notice it again...) I accept it as part of the package. This is the best car and the best engine on the market for my tastes right now, at least for less than $150K (meaning short of a GT3). This issue does not change my mind about that. What else would I buy? There is nothing else.

If I were to make a list of shortcomings of the car, this would be #2, with #1 being the stock exhaust sound and the work required to find the optimum setup, making the exhaust sound better without introducing too much drone.

#3? I don't know, I start to get into nitpicking little things from there. I don't really have a problem with the long gearing, you just have to use First more, and it is pretty dang glorious.
@IL_Pete Thanks, you saved a bunch of typing about the injectors, you are absolutely correct the sound doesn't go away, at best you get used to it or learn to accept it! And for one suggestion that asks if the exhaust will fix it...

I think this is a case of people keying in on something and getting stuck on it, to me it is a nit, everything else about the car is fantastic, just get out and drive it!
IL_Pete (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 11:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IL_Pete

As crazy as it seems, they (Piezo Injectors) seemed to have quieted down considerably. I'll keep you posted but so far things are headed in a better direction. Not sure why yours have not quieted down if mine have. WTF, right?

P.s. Does anyone here know if these are easy to replace with some aftermarket option?

Last edited by Zeus993; 10-10-2021 at 11:51 AM.
P-car-Vancouver (01-12-2022)
Old 10-10-2021, 11:56 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
As crazy as it seems, they (Piezo Injectors) seemed to have quieted down considerably. I'll keep you posted but so far things are headed in a better direction. Not sure why yours have not quieted down if mine have. WTF, right?

P.s. Does anyone here know if these are easy to replace with some aftermarket option?
That is indeed interesting that you notice yours quieting down!

I am not going to lose any sleep over mine, I absolutely adore this car and I have decided not to let it bother me anymore. That is working for me, I drive it almost every day and hardly think about it.

Obviously with 12,000 miles in 7 months, I am following Westcoast's advice to just get out and drive it!
The following 3 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
Robo GTS (01-12-2022), Westcoast (10-10-2021), Zeus993 (10-10-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 05:51 PM
glap55
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2020 718 GT4 ticking & chirping

Hello, I have a 2020 718 GT4 with approx 7k miles. It is my DD.

My car also made a slight ticking before, during and well after break-in. i was told it was the injectors. I broke the engine in according to best practices, and drive long distances as a time. Very rarely are my commutes/trips less than an hour drive; so I do not believe there are/is any issues with how I have been operating my vehicle.

This is my 5th P-Car (981 boxster s & GTS, 991.2 4S, Macan gts, cayenne) and while most have have negligible problems, my 911 had turbo issues.

all that being said, I am now approaching a year of ownership with no end to this ticking sound in sight. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that it has gotten worse and basically chirps also. The sound is predominantly heard under acceleration while in gear, between 3-4K rpm. I have tried ac, steering, and every other item to narrow the sound down; but unfortunately it seems to be only related to the acceleration. The sound happens more so while in motion but can be heard while in neutral as well.

I have an appointment this coming week to address this and hope it will. If the dealership gives me anything more than what he’s been discussed here I will post.

if anyone knows what this could be tied to that would be great.

thanks!

link for video -
https://youtube.com/shorts/ptWqj245azA?feature=share

Last edited by glap55; 10-30-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:03 PM
Robo GTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
Yeah, better to go buy a Lexus, they put a lot of effort into reducing unwanted noises.
Guys I am owner of Lexus RC-F, I came here to check about GTS 4.0 for potential issues - before I buy. Is this all I can expect?

I think it is ok, I follow Lexus RC-F forum on Facebook - and those also have this ticking noises from the injectors (or fuel pump). My car (in Eastern Europe) does not have it, so I think it is because US fuel have a lot more bioethanol. Cars are either made for bioethanol or gasoline, when they mix, it could make various issues - it can even damage injectors and fuel pumps on old cars. Fuel pump on Lexus has been changed once by recall, some folks in the US have changed their fuel pumps few times already. I think makers of the injectors have resolved the bioethanol impacts nowadays, however the side effect is - at least I think - they could make ticking noises. I think lubrication goes slightly away by ethanol use. It is just my speculation though. But anyway - be happy you have this new technology and you are not alone to experience this minor issue. Buy Tesla if you do not like mechanical noises.

Yes Lexus engine is upfront, you do not hear it - unless you open the bonnet, you hear it just at idle. it is insulated and there is amplifier / actuator in the engine bay of Lexus, on the intake, which sends only the right noises of the V8 to the cabin (under the sport + mode).

I am still not sure if I order GTS, because I wanna keep my Lexus too. Porsche should be something way better and different, but I am not so sure... You buy this car to hear natural boxer engine sounds in the cabin, and to feel the low weight of the car. I never keep any car under 2000 rpm... I just hope it is reliable otherwise?

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise