Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 12:44 AM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
My 991.2 got a lot quieter when I changed the oil to 5/50 from 0/40...I will do the same on the Sypder when it gets changed and maybe it will have the same result.
Thanks for bringing this up, after I changed my oil at 3500 miles from 0w 40 to 5w 40 I too hear less of the chirping and much quieter.

Now that I have the Akrapovic slip on I can barely hear anymore of the mechanical noises the engine makes.
The following users liked this post:
omar0022 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 08:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
My 991.2 got a lot quieter when I changed the oil to 5/50 from 0/40...I will do the same on the Sypder when it gets changed and maybe it will have the same result.
I doubt it will, the sound is coming from the h.p fuel pump and the injectors... sounds like a London Black Cab.... (diesel)
Goodwood (05-18-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 11:18 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

+1 to about all the comments here. My GTS 4.0 has this noise. I took it to the dealer specifically for this, and after they had the car there for over a week checking it out, they said everything checked out just fine, and that the noise was deemed to be "normal".

I was very frustrated by this initially. I perceived that the noise did not exist for the first 800 miles, and then it appeared. More likely it was just that for the first 800 miles it was pretty cold out (early March in the Chicago area), and I didn't drive with the windows down or cracked, where it is MUCH more noticeable. (One thing that freaked me out a bit was that I noticed it and took it to the dealer just after the Connector Rod issue was announced - my car was just outside the VIN number range, but I was concerned I had that problem. But the dealer assured me that I did not, whew.)

I was frustrated enough that I considered getting rid of the car, for a week or two. But then I realized that the GTS 4.0 / GT4 is by far the best car on the planet (for me). Nothing else even comes close. Seriously, nothing. I have driven all the Manual Transmission potential alternatives, 911's, M2CS, etc.- Nothing holds a candle to this amazing car, for my likes and needs. The only thing I think I would like more is a Manual GT3, but that is almost twice the price. While I haven't driven one, I suspect I might even still like this car more, just because it has that nuance of being more fun at lower speeds than 911s, in my opinion, based on my 991.2 and 992 test drives and rental. For the price difference, I think I would rather have two 718 4.0's (GT4 and Boxster GTS?) than a GT3.

I have come to accept the noise as part of the package. The 992 911 C2 Coupe PDK I rented on Turo had a hint of the noise, just a lot quieter. (Perhaps because no engine vents?) The 718 GT4 I rented on Turo had the noise as well. Mine is a little louder but not much. (Maybe because my car is still breaking in, ~2000 miles.) Then I went back to YouTube and searched for 718 4.0 videos and listened carefully. Yup! A lot of them had similar noises.

Now I accept it. It occurs / is noticeable mostly just at low speeds and low RPMs. I just try to minimize the time at low speeds and low RPMs. So far, that strategy is yielding tremendous results in owner satisfaction!

And yes, Exhaust Mods help tremendously. (Have Soul OAPs and VC, Soul Valved Exhaust / Back Box ordered.)

Last edited by IL_Pete; 05-19-2021 at 11:19 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
ACJ74 (10-10-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-13-2021), slilley (05-20-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
+1 to about all the comments here. My GTS 4.0 has this noise. I took it to the dealer specifically for this, and after they had the car there for over a week checking it out, they said everything checked out just fine, and that the noise was deemed to be "normal".

I was very frustrated by this initially. I perceived that the noise did not exist for the first 800 miles, and then it appeared. More likely it was just that for the first 800 miles it was pretty cold out (early March in the Chicago area), and I didn't drive with the windows down or cracked, where it is MUCH more noticeable. (One thing that freaked me out a bit was that I noticed it and took it to the dealer just after the Connector Rod issue was announced - my car was just outside the VIN number range, but I was concerned I had that problem. But the dealer assured me that I did not, whew.)

I was frustrated enough that I considered getting rid of the car, for a week or two. But then I realized that the GTS 4.0 / GT4 is by far the best car on the planet (for me). Nothing else even comes close. Seriously, nothing. I have driven all the Manual Transmission potential alternatives, 911's, M2CS, etc.- Nothing holds a candle to this amazing car, for my likes and needs. The only thing I think I would like more is a Manual GT3, but that is almost twice the price. While I haven't driven one, I suspect I might even still like this car more, just because it has that nuance of being more fun at lower speeds than 911s, in my opinion, based on my 991.2 and 992 test drives and rental. For the price difference, I think I would rather have two 718 4.0's (GT4 and Boxster GTS?) than a GT3.

I have come to accept the noise as part of the package. The 992 911 C2 Coupe PDK I rented on Turo had a hint of the noise, just a lot quieter. (Perhaps because no engine vents?) The 718 GT4 I rented on Turo had the noise as well. Mine is a little louder but not much. (Maybe because my car is still breaking in, ~2000 miles.) Then I went back to YouTube and searched for 718 4.0 videos and listened carefully. Yup! A lot of them had similar noises.

Now I accept it. It occurs / is noticeable mostly just at low speeds and low RPMs. I just try to minimize the time at low speeds and low RPMs. So far, that strategy is yielding tremendous results in owner satisfaction!

And yes, Exhaust Mods help tremendously. (Have Soul OAPs and VC, Soul Valved Exhaust / Back Box ordered.)
this! - once I put the SoulPP OAP w/Akra slip on I could no longer hear the "taxi" - or anything else for that matter!
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
kevinofpa (10-03-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-13-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 11:36 AM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 76 Posts

So we now know the ticking noise is normal, and has thus transitioned from "symptom" to "feature". How long before there's a thread in which people ask, "My 4.0 doesn't have the ticking noise -- should I be worried?"
The following 2 users liked this post by AviBen:
P-car-Vancouver (06-13-2021), UncleDude (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 01:13 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,482 Likes on 827 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AviBen
So we now know the ticking noise is normal, and has thus transitioned from "symptom" to "feature".
How long before there's a thread in which people ask,
"My 4.0 doesn't have the ticking noise -- should I be worried?"
AviBen,

Outstanding !!!

Terry

Old 05-19-2021, 01:45 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
So we now know the ticking noise is normal, and has thus transitioned from "symptom" to "feature". How long before there's a thread in which people ask, "My 4.0 doesn't have the ticking noise -- should I be worried?"
that is funny
i am going to check my car today to make sure I still have the ticking noise otherwise I'll be worried
Old 05-19-2021, 05:13 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My only gripe is that I do get looks at stop lights. FWIW, my 3/4 ton diesel ticking is a lot quieter.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by street
My only gripe is that I do get looks at stop lights. FWIW, my 3/4 ton diesel ticking is a lot quieter.

"Yeah Baby!"
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
TikiLou (06-21-2021), UncleDude (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 09:25 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 767 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I doubt it will, the sound is coming from the h.p fuel pump and the injectors... sounds like a London Black Cab.... (diesel)
Hey Larry, I’m not questioning what you’re saying. I’m just curious as to how you know what this is... how did you find out?
Or, are you a mechanic?
Again, I’m just curious as to your expertise here.

I enjoy all your posts

Old 05-19-2021, 10:06 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,225 Posts

This is the song this motor sings.

I, for one, can’t wait to hear this mechanical cacophony on a daily basis. Coming from a Golf R, I’m just looking forward to hearing any engine noise. I don’t care if it sounds like a london cab or a john deere tractor, because I know it won’t sound like a Subaru
Old 05-20-2021, 12:08 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
Hey Larry, I’m not questioning what you’re saying. I’m just curious as to how you know what this is... how did you find out?
Or, are you a mechanic?
Again, I’m just curious as to your expertise here.

I enjoy all your posts
there are other threads on the forum that discuss this... including as I recall one where this was stated as the source by a dealer mech....

Last edited by Larry Cable; 06-07-2021 at 06:40 PM.
SpeedySpidey (05-20-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 06:30 PM
bt55krc
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New here/this is the reason I joined

2021 Cayman GTS 4.0, took delivery end of January (ordered first week of September '20). It's a ticker...I got the same "runaround" from Porsche as others have noted (i.e., "it's normal"). Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic but my dealer seems keenly interested in pressuring the factory because so many of their customers are reporting the same problems and are quite pissed (like me). Freaking hamster wheel on a $100+K car. In spite of the performance/other improvements, for this reason only I miss my 2015 GTS (don't ask, someone killed it). Praying for a TSB. I think we all need to keep the pressure on.
jake18 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 10:25 PM
40th Mike
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve either lost my hearing in that range or mine doesn’t tick. I tried it in the garage, up against a brick wall at my house & going under bridges & I just don’t hear it. Sounds fine to me, not as loud as my others but their pipes aren’t stock.

I hear a slight noise before revs when I blip the throttle on idle. Sounds like injectors.

My F150 twin turbo has horrible clatter when cranked in certain conditions & it ticks horribly. Seems to be both injectors & valves. It’s my everyday so it may have made me tone deaf.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,355 Posts

I swear if I hear any ticking from my Spyder when I get it next month I have having the oil changed to 5/50 sooner than later.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise