Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 03:41 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,355 Likes on 2,196 Posts

At least you know you have an engine behind you, and not a giant battery! The ticking sound doesn’t bother me, and I’ve just accepted it as part of the character of the car / engine.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (10-03-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 03:49 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its all of them AFIAK - injectors and/or H.P fuel pump...

its less noticeable if you install an aftermarket exhaust as the louder engine/exhaust noises drown it out...

That's the ticket! Exhaust system!!!!
I got used to it. When I got the car last February I also went to the dealer as I have never had a Porsche that sounded like that, they said it was normal...all Spyders and GT4s down here sound the same.
us291271 (10-02-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 05:24 PM
kevinofpa
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by us291271
I recently took delivery of my 2021 GT4 and this intermittent bird chirping/diesel sound that kicks on at 1800 RPM is driving me absolutely insane. After owning 8 Porsches, I can't believe this would have passed Porsche's stringent development and qualification process. The sound is so annoying that I'm not sure I will be able to live with it. My Porsche dealer mechanic and service advisor also thought something was wrong but when they approached the regional folks with a video recording, they were told it's "normal". I'm wondering if this is on all GT4 and GTS 718 models or some smaller percentage because it's hard for me to believe that this group of owners would accept this as being normal.
Yeah I'm thinking that the sound is not on all GT4 and GTS 718 models. My car makes the sound loudly which I've posted previously. My dealer called me when they had a GT4 that they were about to deliver so I went to the dealership and listened to that car back-to-back with my GTS 4.0. While I could hear the same type of sound on the GT4 it was much quieter of a sound and had I not been in tune with the sound from my car I don't think I would have even noticed it. Now that GT4 had been sitting in port for quite some time because it was part of a recall where they literally replaced the entire engine (I don't know why though). So this car seems to have Porsche's most recent production engine. And again, the sound was much more muted. In addition, I listened to the GT4 inside a single garage without other sounds around and had my GTS 4.0 been in that garage, my car's sound would have effectively been amplified as it would have echoed off the walls.

So, yes, it is an issue. I've tried to complain to Porsche in numerous ways but all I basically hear back is "frankly, we don't give a damn." They don't say that, but that's what I hear. But, that being said, I really do like every other aspect of the car so I'm trying to learn to accept it for what it is and not allow it to drive me insane. It has unfortunately affected my opinion of Porsche, both in their design, and in their customer service and retention. So, yes, I'm much less likely to buy Porsches in the future which is unfortunate as I've had 4 of them, having kept each car for a good period of time (for me anyway). What it also will make me do is to be sure I do a thorough due diligence before considering another Porsche purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by kevinofpa:
Richardkun (07-19-2022), us291271 (10-02-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 06:37 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

So is it idle only noise? Or happens at cruising RPMs as well? Post #95 demonstrates the noise at idle.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:43 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinofpa
So, yes, it is an issue. I've tried to complain to Porsche in numerous ways but all I basically hear back is "frankly, we don't give a damn." They don't say that, but that's what I hear. But, that being said, I really do like every other aspect of the car so I'm trying to learn to accept it for what it is and not allow it to drive me insane. It has unfortunately affected my opinion of Porsche, both in their design, and in their customer service and retention. So, yes, I'm much less likely to buy Porsches in the future which is unfortunate as I've had 4 of them, having kept each car for a good period of time (for me anyway). What it also will make me do is to be sure I do a thorough due diligence before considering another Porsche purchase.
Yeah, better to go buy a Lexus, they put a lot of effort into reducing unwanted noises.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:48 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I just tell people it is a diesel!
The following 2 users liked this post by porscheralph:
kevinofpa (10-03-2021), Robo GTS (01-12-2022)
Old 10-02-2021, 06:55 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,617 Likes on 920 Posts

Yeah I'm thinking that the sound is not on all GT4 and GTS 718 models. My car makes the sound loudly which I've posted previously. My dealer called me when they had a GT4 that they were about to deliver so I went to the dealership and listened to that car back-to-back with my GTS 4.0. While I could hear the same type of sound on the GT4 it was much quieter of a sound and had I not been in tune with the sound from my car I don't think I would have even noticed it. Now that GT4 had been sitting in port for quite some time because it was part of a recall where they literally replaced the entire engine (I don't know why though). So this car seems to have Porsche's most recent production engine. And again, the sound was much more muted. In addition, I listened to the GT4 inside a single garage without other sounds around and had my GTS 4.0 been in that garage, my car's sound would have effectively been amplified as it would have echoed off the walls.

It is a GT product. GT cars are a Motorsport and raw experience. I think people get the notion that since it has a Porsche badge on it, that means it is a luxury sports car. That is not what it is, it's a raw sports car from their motorsports department.

A luxury sports car would be the AMG GT series cars, that is not what the GT4 is trying to be at all. True raw sports cars is by its very nature a compromised car in regards to noise, harshness, & vibrations.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
Tief Lernen (10-02-2021), YTownSpyder (06-10-2022)
Old 10-02-2021, 08:10 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by TRZ06
It is a GT product. GT cars are a Motorsport and raw experience. I think people get the notion that since it has a Porsche badge on it, that means it is a luxury sports car. That is not what it is, it's a raw sports car from their motorsports department.

A luxury sports car would be the AMG GT series cars, that is not what the GT4 is trying to be at all. True raw sports cars is by its very nature a compromised car in regards to noise, harshness, & vibrations.
Yet, post #95 shows GTS 4.0 with this "Motorsport and raw experience" in a non-GT product.

Last edited by unclemat; 10-02-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:05 AM
kevinofpa
AutoX

Originally Posted by unclemat
So is it idle only noise? Or happens at cruising RPMs as well? Post #95 demonstrates the noise at idle.
It's at idle and low rpm which in real world driving is a fair amount of the time. It's not noticeable when cruising, just gotta remember to hit the cylinder deactivation/stop start button to keep the sound consistently good. When under hard acceleration, other phenomenal sounds take over which is why I bought this car.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:56 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 822 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleDude
At least you know you have an engine behind you, and not a giant battery! The ticking sound doesn’t bother me, and I’ve just accepted it as part of the character of the car / engine.
UncleDude,

As you said it's simply the way the 4.0 flat-6 is ..................

Terry
The following 3 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
kevinofpa (10-03-2021), P-car-Vancouver (10-10-2021), YTownSpyder (06-10-2022)
Old 10-03-2021, 11:15 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

kevinofpa,

This is just something that might work ???
For sure it's worth you checking into the possibility of it as you are not liking the additional sounds from your engine.

The pictures below have nothing to do with a Porsche.
They are actually my previous Bullitt Mustang that I had done.
I'm just sharing the products used to give you some added information.
I can tell you these products (Work) and you have nothing to lose but everything to gain so look into it.
Since the engine is totally covered !!!
What might very well work nicely is to have a Professional-Shop do the complete engine compartment and of course the Engine-Cover.

Note*

I should mention to me from a Common-Sense stand-point this extra sound-proofing would also Drown-Out the intake-sounds also.
Just mentioning the above so your aware there could be a downside to this.

This is what I had done and it worked perfect !!!
Just to give you a rough idea of the product actually installed.
They also did my full trunk.
It was pretty expensive because it's labor intensive and took days to complete.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-03-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:06 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 354 Posts

Actually I am in love with how this engine sounds except for the clicking issue highlighted here.

Listening to all the "experts" and "reviews" online, I expected the engine to really sound bad, however, I think this is actually one of the BEST sounding engines from Porsche. It has multiple sound regimes, sounds great around 4-5k rpm and glorious above 7k rpm. It is genuine, no nonsense fake crackles and pops. I love it!
Old 10-03-2021, 12:10 PM
kevinofpa
AutoX

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
kevinofpa,

This is just something that might work ???
For sure it's worth you checking into the possibility of it as you are not liking the additional sounds from your engine.

The pictures below have nothing to do with a Porsche.
They are actually my previous Bullitt Mustang that I had done.
I'm just sharing the products used to give you some added information.
I can tell you these products (Work) and you have nothing to lose but everything to gain so look into it.
Since the engine is totally covered !!!
What might very well work nicely is to have a Professional-Shop do the complete engine compartment and of course the Engine-Cover.

Note*

I should mention to me from a Common-Sense stand-point this extra sound-proofing would also Drown-Out the intake-sounds also.
Just mentioning the above so your aware there could be a downside to this.
Terry
Wow - that was quite the project! And I can only imagine how much less road noise you have in that car. Thanks for all of that detail and pics. I would be concerned, though, as you had said that it would also dampen the good sounds which would be an issue. I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind in the future for other cars too.
tigerhonaker (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 12:12 PM
kevinofpa
AutoX

Originally Posted by catdog2
Actually I am in love with how this engine sounds except for the clicking issue highlighted here.

Listening to all the "experts" and "reviews" online, I expected the engine to really sound bad, however, I think this is actually one of the BEST sounding engines from Porsche. It has multiple sound regimes, sounds great around 4-5k rpm and glorious above 7k rpm. It is genuine, no nonsense fake crackles and pops. I love it!
I get your point and totally agree. Up near the redline, the symphony of sounds is music to my ear!
catdog2 (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 12:32 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Wow - that was quite the project! And I can only imagine how much less road noise you have in that car. Thanks for all of that detail and pics. I would be concerned, though, as you had said that it would also dampen the good sounds which would be an issue. I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind in the future for other cars too.
Another Major-Plus to having that done was the A/C kicked-Serious-Butt after all the work was completed.
Car was like a darn refrigerator.

And of course the Road-Noise was dramatically reduced.

You could just have the engine cover done and see what you think ???

Terry

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise