Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:30 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
How many of those had normally aspirated flat 6 motors, that have to deal with the new EU pollution regulations?
We put men on the moon in the 60s. If you acquiesce to the idea that today's engineering potential cannot satisfy the two contrary objectives at hand -- strict emissions regulations and the desirability of building a performance gasoline engine that doesn't clunk like a diesel engine -- then that is your choice. I don't use the regulations as a crutch or an excuse for Porsche. They screwed up. Plain and simple.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:44 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,606 Likes on 2,692 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
It's relevant insofar as it indicates my broad experience. Suggesting I move on is a simplistic statement because you don't know me. I love Porsche, I am a Porschephile, and I do not believe in simply discarding fine art. I ordered this car. I like this car. I want this car. I love the way it looks, feels, and sounds. Yes, I love the engine sound -- it's wonderful. But I do not like the ridiculous clunking noise which has a mind of its own. I would prefer the issue to be acknowledged and addressed by Porsche. I like this flat 4.0L, and to me there is no reason why only this engine should exhibit that kind of noise in the context of zero other cars having it and industry-wide engineering feats over the last 20 years.

If a larger proportion of people complained to Porsche about this, we could have a chance at getting something done. Comments from folks who either don't have a dog in the fight or who simply say "boo hoo to you" do not assist in that effort in any way.

Side note: I ordered new a brand new 2015 Mercedes C-Class with a similar engine noise (new engine for Mercedes at the time, as this was the first model year of a brand new generation of car), and Mercedes not only acknowledged the problem and changed production to address it; Mercedes bought the car back from me and offered me any other car in inventory or the opportunity to order a new one.
Broad ownership experience sure, but engine design and more specifically injector design experience I am not convinced of... I highly doubt that complaining to Porsche they made too mechanical a sounding engine is going to get very far.

As for a dog in the fight, to me there is no fight, the engine sounds fine, the injector noise is what I expected to hear based on the design and engineering criteria needed to meet the objectives for this engine.

We put men on the moon in the 60s. If you acquiesce to the idea that today's engineering potential cannot satisfy the two contrary objectives at hand -- strict emissions regulations and the desirability of building a performance gasoline engine that doesn't clunk like a diesel engine -- then that is your choice. I don't use the regulations as a crutch or an excuse for Porsche. They screwed up. Plain and simple.
At least you have a sense of humor!
Old 03-11-2021, 03:06 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,747 Likes on 958 Posts

R&D isn’t free. No one screwed up imo; a decision was made, a budget was kept to, a timeline was achieved.
The last german car that engineers were told build it and we’ll figure out what to charge for it after was probably the 850i and hard lessons were learned on that car from doing so.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:18 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

I'm sure the same engineers use logic, and deductive reasoning, e.g. - compare like for like, before they determine something "a problem". Last I checked, Porsche doesn't make injectors, though times do change. Porsche's "GT" cars may have different injector requirements, et. al, than other mfgs., if its even the injectors making the noise...though I have heard of a problematic injector making and replacing did help.

FWIW, there is already a thread about this in the 981 GT4 forum. I had my "ticking" checked at (2) different dealers and no "fixes" were made.
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (06-22-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 04:51 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 221 Posts

This problem is easily solved by stepping on the gas and getting RPMs up over 2,000.
The following 4 users liked this post by vcp13:
catdog2 (10-03-2021), HooosierDaddy (05-19-2021), porscheflat6 (06-22-2021), TimD (05-24-2024)
Old 03-11-2021, 05:35 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Broad ownership experience sure, but engine design and more specifically injector design experience I am not convinced of... I highly doubt that complaining to Porsche they made too mechanical a sounding engine is going to get very far.

As for a dog in the fight, to me there is no fight, the engine sounds fine, the injector noise is what I expected to hear based on the design and engineering criteria needed to meet the objectives for this engine.

At least you have a sense of humor!
Sounds like you are an engineer or senior level mechanic. If yes, please tell us:

1) What exactly the clunking noise is that we hear- it sounds like a Diesel engine. I don’t know much about injectors beyond that they are (these days) electronic devices that inject gasoline; this sound represents the movement of metal components i.e. the spinning flywheel, moving pistons, opening and closing valves, etc. Have you watched my video at the link above which demonstrates the racket?
2) Why the noise is sometimes sporadic and goes on and off at idle
3) Why the design and engine criteria to which you have access necessitate this kind of noise
4) Why this noise exists on this car and not on any other car in production today coming from Europe that isn’t a Porsche GT department car
5) Ways you might suggest to the engineering team to eliminate the noise if you had a seat at the table and the eliminating the noise was up for consideration

Not being wise. Would like to learn if you have this information.

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-11-2021 at 05:50 PM.
catdog2 (10-03-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 05:56 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I started this thread to see if there's something wrong with my car and now I'm satisfied that the service manager was correct. So thanks to everyone for confirming. Let's just say it was surprising to me..
The following 5 users liked this post by street:
catdog2 (10-03-2021), FASTRKMAN (03-11-2021), fxmixer (09-27-2023), porscheflat6 (06-22-2021), tigerhonaker (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 07:18 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
This problem is easily solved by stepping on the gas and getting RPMs up over 2,000.
...also a nice Soul Race Exhaust system does help a bit more!

I was also a bit annoyed by the sound at idle and low revs. The 981 GT4 also made a similar sound but not as loud as on the 718.
Are we sure these are the injectors and not a high pressure mechanical pump running from the camshaft?
It's not linear with the revs and the volume varies
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
Driv200 (05-19-2021), HooosierDaddy (05-19-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 07:24 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmartpr

I was also a bit annoyed by the sound at idle and low revs. The 981 GT4 also made a similar sound but not as loud as on the 718.
Are we sure these are the injectors and not a high pressure mechanical pump running from the camshaft?
Hmmm. While under load mine seems to be linear with the engine speed (when it feels like being consistent; occasionally it has a kind of its own).
Old 03-11-2021, 08:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,580 Likes on 2,329 Posts

it could well be the h.p fuel pump ...
Old 03-11-2021, 10:56 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

All direct injection cars have loud ticking from the injectors. It's normally muffled quite a bit by the hood being closed. I'm wondering if it's louder on this car because of the side vents on the car, and obviously the fact that the engine is right behind us. It is something that would alarming if it weren't for the fact that it's a "normal" sound on our cars.

Ron
Old 03-12-2021, 10:17 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
All direct injection cars have loud ticking from the injectors. It's normally muffled quite a bit by the hood being closed. I'm wondering if it's louder on this car because of the side vents on the car, and obviously the fact that the engine is right behind us. It is something that would alarming if it weren't for the fact that it's a "normal" sound on our cars.

Ron
Agreed...but this one is very loud and different. As you mentioned if it wasn't normal I would be very, very worried.
You could be right....the injectors and cylinder heads are right next to those intakes without much material covering them.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:45 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 933 Likes on 436 Posts

Agreed...but this one is very loud and different. As you mentioned if it wasn't normal I would be very, very worried.
You could be right....the injectors and cylinder heads are right next to those intakes without much material covering them.
And yet knowing all of the above, and the difficulty of closing the top and all of the other 718 imperfections, I still would have bought this car. Mine came with a 4 year warranty so if this is an engine defect as it turns out Porsche will fix it. For free.
981KMAN (01-25-2022)
Old 03-12-2021, 01:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,606 Likes on 2,692 Posts

Sounds like you are an engineer or senior level mechanic. If yes, please tell us:

1) What exactly the clunking noise is that we hear- it sounds like a Diesel engine. I don’t know much about injectors beyond that they are (these days) electronic devices that inject gasoline; this sound represents the movement of metal components i.e. the spinning flywheel, moving pistons, opening and closing valves, etc. Have you watched my video at the link above which demonstrates the racket?
2) Why the noise is sometimes sporadic and goes on and off at idle
3) Why the design and engine criteria to which you have access necessitate this kind of noise
4) Why this noise exists on this car and not on any other car in production today coming from Europe that isn’t a Porsche GT department car
5) Ways you might suggest to the engineering team to eliminate the noise if you had a seat at the table and the eliminating the noise was up for consideration

Not being wise. Would like to learn if you have this information.
How perceptive, I do come from an engineering background and although never ‘employed’ as a mechanic I have been immersed in the mechanical world since the early 70's working alongside some very talented and experienced mechanics and machinists building entire race cars including their engines. My curiosity continues to this day and unless it is warranty work I tend to do most of this myself so I to stay as current as possible on the vehicles I own.

Regarding your questions, yes I did listen to your video and that is why I replied, as did others that what you are hearing is normal for this engine. The sound and its cadence will not be consistent as these injectors are able to open and close up to 5 times per intake cycle as dictated by multiple variables such as air-fuel ratio, load and RPM to name but a few. To delve deeper into the design parameters and criteria chosen by the Porsche engineers I suggest that you would need to reach out to them.
The following 5 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Dan Nagy (06-08-2021), FASTRKMAN (03-12-2021), kwikit356 (10-03-2021), lee_337 (05-15-2022), Rich_Jenkins (03-13-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 07:46 PM
Nike968
4th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also noticed this annoying sound on my GTS and it has been checked over by Porsche twice but they only say it is normal sound from this engine, not giving any further explanation to what the sound is.

I had a 981 GTS before and that did not sound like this in any way and I have been quite annoyed by the sound to be honest. I have from friends that are more knowledgeable regarding engines been time that the annoying sound is coming from the piezo injectors and the high pressure fuel pump.

Does anyone here know if the 992 carrera has got the same construction and makes the same sound? As I understand it the 4.0 is based on the 992 carrera engine..

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise