Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 11:43 AM
No Name
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorian C
LOL. So you were the one ahead of me. When I reached out to them, they said someone just paid for it. But all good, they offered me something else that I am very happy with, simply because I just missed this deal. So, happy ending!

I will do the headers with OEM muffler for now because all I am after is power.
Sorry about that, yeah the plan was to buy their street headers then a sale came out literally two days out. When do you plan on doing the install? Glad you got one as well!
Old 04-28-2021, 12:13 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 194 Likes on 109 Posts

Drove my spyder with stock exhaust for about 300 miles then added the Akra OAP. Have driven with the Akra OAP for about 500 miles now. I find this combination to be really nice. Lots more character to the sound and plenty of added volume. Occasional pops and burbles with up and down shifts but not obnoxious. I would not want it any louder. I did not add a valve control module. I do press the sports exhaust button on every drive when I start up. I am completely satisfied with the sound. Seat of pants performance also feels better but that maybe placebo from the increased sound, who knows. I can say that I love the spyder now and the OAP were transformative. I was initially not enthralled with the spyder as it lacked something, the OAP seemed to fix that. Now if there was just a way to get flat/no-lift shifting added somehow.

Last edited by GT325; 04-28-2021 at 12:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:59 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

[QUOTE=jmartpr;17393899]Hi John...need to talk (or e-mail) about that ECU Flash.
...what you really need is a rear muffler that's light, mixes both banks

A nice single pass 2.5 inch x-pipe muffler with no valves, no obstructions, no crimping, and no exhaust gas collisions. Now that's what I am talking about. Looking for a sound that is a "nice, sonorous, proper Porsche sound".

Last edited by lovetoturn; 04-28-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:35 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

1. What have you done?
​​​​​​Race headers and resonated race exhaust both with jet hot 1300. Soul.

2. What was the reason for your choice/decision?
Set out to get a wild setup.

2. What are the pros?
It sounds out of this world, car is more powerful for sure, loves to rev. One of the loudest cars ive ever heard.

3. What are the cons?
For me, I don't have any.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:33 AM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

There doesn't seems to be as much feedback on the dundon headers for this platform as there is on the 991. Can those with the dundon street headers and factory muffler share their thoughts? Is the sound similar to the 991 dundon street headers?
Old 04-29-2021, 04:31 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

I am running CARGRAPHIC valve controller and X-Pipe Racing exhaust on my Spyder. The sound is amazing - it keeps the nice Porsche tone we all love (I believe) and boosts its deepness. However I want a little bit more sound and just pulled the trigger on CARGRAPHIC OAP with flow-optimized OPF. 4-6 weeks waiting time ahead. Anyone running this combo out there? The closest I have seen/heard is this from CARGRAPHIC themselves:

But I don't want to mess with the headers on top. My solution is for Europe and does not require any reprogramming / no engine lights will pop.

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2021, 04:54 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by IRM
I am running CARGRAPHIC valve controller and X-Pipe Racing exhaust on my Spyder. The sound is amazing - it keeps the nice Porsche tone we all love (I believe) and boosts its deepness. However I want a little bit more sound and just pulled the trigger on CARGRAPHIC OAP with flow-optimized OPF. 4-6 weeks waiting time ahead. Anyone running this combo out there? The closest I have seen/heard is this from CARGRAPHIC themselves:

CARGRAPHIC full sport exhaust system

But I don't want to mess with the headers on top. My solution is for Europe and does not require any reprogramming / no engine lights will pop.

Cheers!
Cargraphic Headers + 200 cell cats will not give you a cel nor do you need any reprogrammig per their website. If you want that glorious Flat-6 wail that Porsche is known for, you definitely need the Headers+Cat+OPF Optimized flow OAP+X-Pipe Racing..Just like the one in their video.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:58 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Cargraphic Headers + 200 cell cats will not give you a cel nor do you need any reprogrammig per their website. If you want that glorious Flat-6 wail that Porsche is known for, you definitely need the Headers+Cat+OPF Optimized flow OAP+X-Pipe Racing..Just like the one in their video.
Even if I may end up there, I am more than enjoying every step at a time.

Thanks mate!
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 05:33 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by IRM
Even if I may end up there, I am more than enjoying every step at a time.

Thanks mate!
and that's all that matters.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:04 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by horns
There doesn't seems to be as much feedback on the dundon headers for this platform as there is on the 991. Can those with the dundon street headers and factory muffler share their thoughts? Is the sound similar to the 991 dundon street headers?
The Dundon system sounds good with the OEM muffler with zero drone with either the PSE ON or OFF.... but it still need a proper muffler.
Power wise it deliver the goods while retaining cats. BTW, having the cats back there also helps extend their life if you track a lot....just check where the CSs have them.
According to Jamie, they are 5-6 weeks away on the development of a new rear muffler, goal being to get as close as possible to their GT3 muffler sound....their crack pretzel is not an option for me, too loud, all the time.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:06 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=lovetoturn;17398331]
Originally Posted by jmartpr
Hi John...need to talk (or e-mail) about that ECU Flash.
...what you really need is a rear muffler that's light, mixes both banks

A nice single pass 2.5 inch x-pipe muffler with no valves, no obstructions, no crimping, and no exhaust gas collisions. Now that's what I am talking about. Looking for a sound that is a "nice, sonorous, proper Porsche sound".

That would be perfect! I have been tempted to get the Cargraphics Racing X Muffler but will wait a bit more to see what Dundon is developing.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:26 AM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
The Dundon system sounds good with the OEM muffler with zero drone with either the PSE ON or OFF.... but it still need a proper muffler.
Power wise it deliver the goods while retaining cats. BTW, having the cats back there also helps extend their life if you track a lot....just check where the CSs have them.
According to Jamie, they are 5-6 weeks away on the development of a new rear muffler, goal being to get as close as possible to their GT3 muffler sound....their crack pretzel is not an option for me, too loud, all the time.
I am in the same boat. Got Dundon headers and waiting for their lifetime muffler, which is supposed to keep the car legal on all the tracks. I cannot stand drones, not even a little. Don't mind keeping stock exhaust if that is the only option without drones. At least I got great power gain from the headers.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:21 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
It seems like a resonated OAP would solve a lot of folks issues, and or persuade more people to make the jump into buying something. I know JCR has one, but due to the weak dollar it is expensive. With it, you can stay modular and just replace the inefficient restrictive GPF with a totally free flowing resonator. Free up the motor, increase responsiveness, add a few horsepower???, and add a little more flat-six sound without going overboard. I am sure there are a lot of people lurking here, but not necessarily making comments.

Porsche designed their two pathway exhaust with sound attenuation built into the PSE side with the GPF. It is no wonder that when you remove the GPF and not replace it with something else, that it becomes a bit too loud and or has an increase in drone. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe the GPF needs to go. The question is, but in what manner. With a standard OAP, the exhaust goes through the cat and then straight pipe out. Yes there is a secondary muffled pathway, but what motivation do the exhaust gases have to pass through that narrow restrictive muffler when the primary exit is only a foot of larger pipe. So the vast majority of the exhaust flow bypasses the muffler and exists the car without any x-pipe mixing or sound attenuation.

A resonated OAP would free up the motor, provide some sound muffling, and maybe work better with some of the rear sections provided by some of our vendors on this site.
This is the route I'm going for, I currently have Fabspeed race headers and their maxflo (silenced or muffled) exhaust. Ideally I'd like to do something similar to what some of the others have recently mentioned and discussed above...go with a valve controller like Soul, get some sport cats to improve the mid range and overall torque to add some power and help out the gearing, and then possibly get some sort of silenced OAPs. Ideally the JCR, but couldn't swing the exhaust or their headers. I wouldn't mind sticking with the PSE especially since I could control the valves a bit more and then ideally limit some of the drone. In my current setup it isn't bad for a 5-6 hour straight drive in the cabin of my 987, and I enjoy it at wot as well. I'm sure this and some choices in my youth have lowered my hearing quality so it's not as annoying

I know some of you others have worked with the exhaust first and then went OAP, and I've generally heard of that as such, but I figure if you can add a bit more power/torque and still keep the sound levels down while adding some extra sound why not go that route? TIA! Car won't be built for a few months yet, so I've got plenty of time to browse the thread and see everyone's updates.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:07 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Installed my catless headers along with the Akra side pipes with the OEM muffler and drove the car. Sounds perfect, so subtle sounding just cruising around but then a nice aggressive sound when you get into it. I totally feel a pick up in power in the low and middle RPM range.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:52 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Installed my catless headers along with the Akra side pipes with the OEM muffler and drove the car. Sounds perfect, so subtle sounding just cruising around but then a nice aggressive sound when you get into it. I totally feel a pick up in power in the low and middle RPM range.

Hi Martin....great that you got the whole thing installed. Any CELs? If you do send me a PM, I have something here that may or may not work but willing to send it so you can try it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?