Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 03:00 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 629 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
Order placed. Time to find out what JCR charge for shipping.

Johnny, will you accept payment in Bitcoin by any chance?
It's not too much; I had a quote a while ago but because the new superlight pipe came out I couldn't decide which one to get. Ended up getting wheels instead; I already knew which ones I wanted
Old 04-26-2021, 03:52 PM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

I paid £125 for shipping (quite a bit, I find, but excited to receive the thing nevertheless!)
Old 04-26-2021, 03:58 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SpydrGuy
Absolutely!

You're not getting drone 2K-3K RPM?
Yes there is a very mild drone between 2k and 3k, I notice it when driving on the highway with top closed. When I open the top it disappears. If you are very sensitive to drone or it’s your daily driver go with the silenced race exhaust.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
Yes there is a very mild drone between 2k and 3k, I notice it when driving on the highway with top closed. When I open the top it disappears. If you are very sensitive to drone or it’s your daily driver go with the silenced race exhaust.
Doc, you are still running OEM GPF right?
Old 04-26-2021, 06:11 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
Do you get the drone with the OEM valve controller, or valves disconnected?
Old 04-26-2021, 08:28 PM
mllarson
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brianch5351
I'm waiting on my JCR non-silenced valved exhaust...hopefully finally coming in this week (freaking customs issues), but I'll let you know how it goes. Let me know if anyone wants specific initial impressions or thoughts before/after!
When did you place the order?
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 08:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Jonny posted actual noise readings in another message. The actual difference at full throttle between the JCR silenced and non-silenced valved exhaust is less than 1 dB. Sorry for posting bad information.

OEM 718 GT4 EXHAUST (EU) - 91.1dB
JCR TITANIUM SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE - 94.5dB
JCR TITANIUM NON SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE - 95.1dB
JCR TITANIUM SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE - 97.5dB
JCR TITANIUM NON SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE - 98.1dB
JCR TITANIUM SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE / JCR INCONEL RACE MANIFOLDS - 107.4dB
JCR TITANIUM NON SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE / JCR INCONEL RACE MANIFOLDS - 108.1dB
all but one of these would fail sound at Laguna Seca spectacularly (I'll give you a clue - its not a JCR product)
porscheflat6 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 10:39 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,112 Likes on 548 Posts

It seems like a resonated OAP would solve a lot of folks issues, and or persuade more people to make the jump into buying something. I know JCR has one, but due to the weak dollar it is expensive. With it, you can stay modular and just replace the inefficient restrictive GPF with a totally free flowing resonator. Free up the motor, increase responsiveness, add a few horsepower???, and add a little more flat-six sound without going overboard. I am sure there are a lot of people lurking here, but not necessarily making comments.

Porsche designed their two pathway exhaust with sound attenuation built into the PSE side with the GPF. It is no wonder that when you remove the GPF and not replace it with something else, that it becomes a bit too loud and or has an increase in drone. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe the GPF needs to go. The question is, but in what manner. With a standard OAP, the exhaust goes through the cat and then straight pipe out. Yes there is a secondary muffled pathway, but what motivation do the exhaust gases have to pass through that narrow restrictive muffler when the primary exit is only a foot of larger pipe. So the vast majority of the exhaust flow bypasses the muffler and exists the car without any x-pipe mixing or sound attenuation.

A resonated OAP would free up the motor, provide some sound muffling, and maybe work better with some of the rear sections provided by some of our vendors on this site.
The following 2 users liked this post by lovetoturn:
porscheflat6 (04-27-2021), tigerhonaker (04-27-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:00 PM
DocMo
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Doc, you are still running OEM GPF right?
yes, still running OEM GPF. As you might remember I tried JCR non-silenced race exhaust in combination with Akra OAPs and it was too loud (RSR levels) with significant drone below 4000rpms.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:00 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,465 Likes on 2,239 Posts

ugh

Last edited by UncleDude; 04-27-2021 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Ugh, code link posted
Old 04-26-2021, 11:08 PM
DocMo
Racer

Do you get the drone with the OEM valve controller, or valves disconnected?
with OEM valve controller drone is very subtle but you still hear it on the highway between 2000 and 3000rpms.
with valves disconnected, drone is slightly more present but not tiring. You can easily drive 3 hours on the highway without issues. Once you drop the top, drone disappears.
I can daily drive both settings without issue.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:45 PM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

Kline has no drone and it's loud - mine is going on next Thursday. I'm pairing mine with a soul valve controller. I did hear the Dundon on Youtube and my god that thing sounds sick.
dnimi123 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:47 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ltfl09
Kline has no drone and it's loud - mine is going on next Thursday. I'm pairing mine with a soul valve controller. I did hear the Dundon on Youtube and my god that thing sounds sick.
You doing Inconel or SS? Full system or partial?
Old 04-27-2021, 12:49 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
It seems like a resonated OAP would solve a lot of folks issues, and or persuade more people to make the jump into buying something. I know JCR has one, but due to the weak dollar it is expensive. With it, you can stay modular and just replace the inefficient restrictive GPF with a totally free flowing resonator. Free up the motor, increase responsiveness, add a few horsepower???, and add a little more flat-six sound without going overboard. I am sure there are a lot of people lurking here, but not necessarily making comments.

Porsche designed their two pathway exhaust with sound attenuation built into the PSE side with the GPF. It is no wonder that when you remove the GPF and not replace it with something else, that it becomes a bit too loud and or has an increase in drone. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe the GPF needs to go. The question is, but in what manner. With a standard OAP, the exhaust goes through the cat and then straight pipe out. Yes there is a secondary muffled pathway, but what motivation do the exhaust gases have to pass through that narrow restrictive muffler when the primary exit is only a foot of larger pipe. So the vast majority of the exhaust flow bypasses the muffler and exists the car without any x-pipe mixing or sound attenuation.

A resonated OAP would free up the motor, provide some sound muffling, and maybe work better with some of the rear sections provided by some of our vendors on this site.
that's what I am hoping to achieve with the CarGraphics OAP & Akra slipon
Old 04-27-2021, 01:52 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 675 Posts

My Kline Inconel (OAP/Rear) comes in at the end of may. That should be the cherry on top after DSC/TPC set up for street. The car will then be what it should have been from the factory.

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?