Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 08:25 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 539 Posts
Default Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Obviously there has been much talk on this issue from the earliest days. However, reading through all the posts and watching all the videos, I have yet to find anything that people absolutely rave about. I have yet to mod my exhaust in any way. For those of you that have:

1. What have you done?
2. What was the reason for your choice/decision?
2. What are the pros?
3. What are the cons?

Last edited by VVG; 01-03-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Popular Reply

03-21-2021, 01:02 AM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Today I had my first proper drive in some low traffic backroads, and I must say I really love the final result:
  • The signature is a high pitched wail above 4000RPM, so if you are looking for a high pitch scream rather than dark tone you cannot go wrong with this one.
  • Burbles are audible now!!, in less quantity than the 981 gen, but they are there on the overrun and by touching the throttle. More rare are the up-shifts barks, but when they happen OMG they sound epic!! this will put an instant smile on your face. This kind of barks weren't featured on the 981, so it's a very nice novelty.
  • HP increase?, of course!! but because of all the extra excitement!! and that's what really matters IMO.
  • OEM valves closing interfering? Maybe... I'm curious to hear it with valves disconnected, but I'm not feeling it's really necessary either.
  • What's the setup? Akrapovic OAP + Carpgraphic Racing Xpipe (OEM Headers & OEM valves controller)
  • Quiet on PSE OFF?, Almost as quiet as stock, so this can be wild or civilised at your will.
  • Drone?, haven't heard it, or at least not with the OEM valve controller.
I knew that mixing different brand components could've been risky, so I'm really glad that all the research really paid off an the sound succeed my expectations. I also think that this setup could be one of the best for the money.

So what's not to love?, If you push me really hard and I'm being very nitpicking, I would say that if you are holding at around 5K RPM steady without accelerating, you might hear a high pitched resonation that may bother some people, but again this is being really nitpicking and I also have the suspicious that the OEM valve could be playing a role on this... we'll see... but seriously if you will be bothered with something like this you should stay with the stock setup.

Sorry for the amateur video, but at least I tried:

Old 01-03-2021, 09:02 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 65 Posts
Default JCR

Originally Posted by VVG
Obviously there has been much talk on this issue from the earliest days. However, reading through all the posts and watching all the videos, I have yet to find anything that people absolutely rave about. I have yet to mod my exhaust in any way. For those of you that have:

1. What have you done?
2. What are the pros?
3. What are the cons?
1) JCR Titanium non silenced with a GPF delete (fabspeed in my case). Sounds amazing!
2) reputation, sound clips, amazing customer service
3) sounds AMAZING, drops weight, high quality
4) Expensive

see my post here https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...r-exhaust.html

The following 2 users liked this post by palmpalm:
JCR-Porsche (04-28-2021), REV195 (03-28-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:24 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

While I haven't received my car I did purchased already the exhaust system and the headers...below my reasoning for both:

Cargraphic Race Headers: The design of these header (and the JCR) are pretty much optimal with equal length design and the collector as far back as they can place it. Also both companies have very good quality construction. The JCR was a bit too much $$$$ because of the Inconel material and didn't care much for the weight savings, but if you do this is the one to get. The JCR also has a O2 placement designed to eliminate any CELs when removing the cats...on the Cargraphics I will have to resort to secondary O2 spacers and/or ECU Flash....will test both to see what happens. If I had a third choice it would be the Soul header.

Soul Race Exhaust System w/ resonators: On the 981 GT4 the last exhaust system I had was using a GT3 muffler conversion without valves and routed Cup style using only the lower chamber. I didn't care about drone at 2.500 rpm as the sound was glorious. The car was not a daily driver. The Only system out there right now that delivers weight savings, no valves, X-cross design to merge both banks with a single 2.5" tube all the way is the Soul Race. This simple design is lightweight and I'm pretty sure it's how to maximize power out for the exhaust instead of using the dual entry muffler design. I expect this system to be on par with my previous GT3 conversion on the 981.....maybe even a little bit more civilized as I added the resonators.

Car is due in a few weeks and all the mods will go in by next month once I put a few miles on it....will report back.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
porscheflat6 (03-29-2021), Soul Performance (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 10:24 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
1) JCR Titanium non silenced with a GPF delete (fabspeed in my case). Sounds amazing!
4) Expensive

the post you linked to there’s no mention that you also had the Fabspeed OAPs installed. Were your comments and sound clip in that post including the OAP or was it just about the JCR muffler on its own?
Old 01-03-2021, 11:14 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Question, how are those who are replacing the entire system planning on dealing with warranty repercussions?

For a “cat back” system, I.e. GPF removal and a new muffler, there is enough case law out there as well as a general acceptance that warranty should not be significantly affected. Obviously there’s no exhaust warranty but issues with the motor / trans shouldn’t be compromised. With a full system you’ve crossed over to a point where I could see PCNA, who are notorious for denying even trivial claims, having major heartburn.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:34 AM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG

1. What have you done?
2. What are the pros?
3. What are the cons?
I’m very satisfied with my exhaust setup.
1. Akra link pipes and slip-on
2. First one to come out with heat shielded link pipes. Trusted their reputation for the muffler.
3. Sound is very nice and loud enough for me. There is no drone.
4. It’s very expensive. The muffler is not x-pipe, which may be a deal breaker for some. I don’t exactly know what I’m missing having slip-on compared to an x-pipe as I can’t detect a considerable difference when listening on Youtube.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:55 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
Question, how are those who are replacing the entire system planning on dealing with warranty repercussions?

For a “cat back” system, I.e. GPF removal and a new muffler, there is enough case law out there as well as a general acceptance that warranty should not be significantly affected. Obviously there’s no exhaust warranty but issues with the motor / trans shouldn’t be compromised. With a full system you’ve crossed over to a point where I could see PCNA, who are notorious for denying even trivial claims, having major heartburn.
I ordered a full system with catless headers (not installed yet). The warranty might be at risk, but from what I've understood, the risk is somewhat small. I will not be doing a tune however. I've been pretty good with running a catless straight pipe on my daily.driver for the past 15+ years. For the most part no major issues (up until recently, will need a new block), other than the occasional ticket in NY.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:34 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
the post you linked to there’s no mention that you also had the Fabspeed OAPs installed. Were your comments and sound clip in that post including the OAP or was it just about the JCR muffler on its own?
fabspeed GPF delete is also on there

Last edited by palmpalm; 01-04-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:39 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
I ordered a full system with catless headers (not installed yet). The warranty might be at risk, but from what I've understood, the risk is somewhat small. I will not be doing a tune however. I've been pretty good with running a catless straight pipe on my daily.driver for the past 15+ years. For the most part no major issues (up until recently, will need a new block), other than the occasional ticket in NY.
So, how do you get around the required annual inspection rules in NY? I’d make sure you keep all the stock parts since it will be unsaleable in many states with the catless exhaust.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:35 PM
Regul8415
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

fabspeed is also on there
what was your impression of the Fabspeed OAP before you got the exhaust?
Old 01-03-2021, 02:01 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 672 Posts

So, how do you get around the required annual inspection rules in NY? I’d make sure you keep all the stock parts since it will be unsaleable in many states with the catless exhaust.
He pays someone an extra few bucks to certify it, I would imagine, it is NY after all.... probably his 'Cousin' or an 'Uncle'!
The following 2 users liked this post by dnimi123:
jmartpr (01-04-2021), X2Board (02-09-2022)
Old 01-03-2021, 03:09 PM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

I've gone for a simple solution, the Cargraphic valve controller. Simple and cost effective as the standard exhaust is fine:

The following users liked this post:
chub2000 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 03:22 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

I have a cobb accessport that removes the CEL light and my mechanic doesn't so a visual check, only computer. But I won't tune this one..agreed have all the original parts in my basement!
Old 01-03-2021, 03:24 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts

4) Expensive

Hi palmpalm

Great sound!

Could not help but see your Pfaff plate logo, assume you are in/near Toronto....

I have been considering the JCR solution, could you let me know where you sourced yours?

Thanks!!
Old 01-04-2021, 06:44 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

1. What have you done?
Waiting for car delivery, but JCR inconel race manifolds/JCR inconel OPF delete pipes and/or FabSpeed Lightweight Competition Exhaust System might be be the trick
Performance, sound and delete need of valve switch (my current P runs permanent open PSE and Soul race manifolds/headers, quite nice)
2. What are the pros?
Performance, sound, no need of extra switch for valves
3. What are the cons?
Price, JCR stuff is pricy, but EU monitored OPF does either required software change of proper OPF (Dundon (718 GT4 STREET HEADERS) could not give confirmation for EU).

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?