Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 06:39 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SpydrGuy
This is what makes picking an exhaust so difficult. Watching videos and quoting numbers is no substitute for first hand feedback from owners who have driven with an exhaust extensively, so I greatly appreciate your opinion. FWIW, I don't know if the 2-3 dB increase in sound volume with the unsilenced JCR exhaust over the silenced version is at full throttle, cruise, or both. Hopefully DocMo and Jonny can chime in. A 3 dB increase at full throttle might be perfect, while 3 dB at cruise would probably get tiring quickly.
Jonny posted actual noise readings in another message. The actual difference at full throttle between the JCR silenced and non-silenced valved exhaust is less than 1 dB. Sorry for posting bad information.

OEM 718 GT4 EXHAUST (EU) - 91.1dB
JCR TITANIUM SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE - 94.5dB
JCR TITANIUM NON SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE - 95.1dB
JCR TITANIUM SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE - 97.5dB
JCR TITANIUM NON SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE - 98.1dB
JCR TITANIUM SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE / JCR INCONEL RACE MANIFOLDS - 107.4dB
JCR TITANIUM NON SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE / JCR INCONEL RACE MANIFOLDS - 108.1dB
Old 04-25-2021, 06:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by SpydrGuy
Jonny posted actual noise readings in another message. The actual difference at full throttle between the JCR silenced and non-silenced valved exhaust is less than 1 dB. Sorry for posting bad information.

OEM 718 GT4 EXHAUST (EU) - 91.1dB
JCR TITANIUM SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE - 94.5dB
JCR TITANIUM NON SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE - 95.1dB
JCR TITANIUM SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE - 97.5dB
JCR TITANIUM NON SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE - 98.1dB
JCR TITANIUM SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE / JCR INCONEL RACE MANIFOLDS - 107.4dB
JCR TITANIUM NON SILENCED VALVED RACE PIPE / JCR TITANIUM OPF DELETE / JCR INCONEL RACE MANIFOLDS - 108.1dB
Thanks for bringing this in here for comparison, it is not surprising that at full throttle the Silenced and non-silenced are very close, I have always thought the value of the silenced system is when you want/need it quieter, just cruising around, when those valves are closed the silencers really do help control the intensity of the exhaust, IMHO makes it manageable for me on the street and especially so with the OPF delete pipes.

I have also said that if you kept the OEM OAP then you may not need the silenced rear section as they do an excellent job of silencing on their own.

Last edited by Westcoast; 04-25-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:24 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,084 Likes on 473 Posts

I should just bite the bullet and buy the JCR race pipe, my car is still 4 months away but if it's a 3 month wait then I should just do it.
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 11:17 PM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

I guess this system is intended to work with their headers?

https://www.jcr-developments.com/jcr...tted--silenced)

I don't recall seeing this system below discussed, but there are so many available maybe I missed it.
https://www.jcr-developments.com/jcr...pipe-(silenced)

With OE manifolds I wonder if the second link system would offer a relatively drone free (in a spyder) experience that wakes the car up, but isn't crazy loud (like 991 with their race pipe setup). My guess is that it will be very loud despite the small mufflers.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:29 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,084 Likes on 473 Posts

Order placed. Time to find out what JCR charge for shipping.

Johnny, will you accept payment in Bitcoin by any chance?

Last edited by Reedy; 04-26-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:22 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

Lots of people buying mufflers from U.S. based companies only to take them off because this car's warmup is louder than our GT3 Cup cars at cold idle.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:34 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Lots of people buying mufflers from U.S. based companies only to take them off because this car's warmup is louder than our GT3 Cup cars at cold idle.
100% agree! Honestly all the car only needs is a valve controller unit and maybe an OPF delete pipe. Car is loud enough! I don't need to be heard three quarters of a mile down the street in an open top car. Different story in a proper GT car though lol

The reason why almost all the YouTube videos out there make the car sound like it's being ball gagged is because of the valves; fix that and the car sounds just peachy

/rant over
Old 04-26-2021, 09:55 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

are you talking about just disabling the valves or is there a module like Cargraphics that does something further than just removing and plugging the valve control?

Originally Posted by neurotic
100% agree! Honestly all the car only needs is a valve controller unit and maybe an OPF delete pipe. Car is loud enough! I don't need to be heard three quarters of a mile down the street in an open top car. Different story in a proper GT car though lol

The reason why almost all the YouTube videos out there make the car sound like it's being ball gagged is because of the valves; fix that and the car sounds just peachy

/rant over
Old 04-26-2021, 10:01 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing
are you talking about just disabling the valves or is there a module like Cargraphics that does something further than just removing and plugging the valve control?
Cargraphics is what I have. Very, very happy with it. But you can disable the valves but the cabin will be boomy at some RPM ranges; sometimes when I'm out for a late night cruise, I don't want my ears to bleed so the valve controller comes in very handy.

I have the Cargraphic unit set up with my HomeLink buttons so when I press 1, the valves are open 100% of the time; press 2, and it returns to default control. Best of both worlds if you ask me

Last edited by neurotic; 04-26-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:49 AM
brianch5351
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting on my JCR non-silenced valved exhaust...hopefully finally coming in this week (freaking customs issues), but I'll let you know how it goes. Let me know if anyone wants specific initial impressions or thoughts before/after!
Old 04-26-2021, 11:44 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by brianch5351
I'm waiting on my JCR non-silenced valved exhaust...hopefully finally coming in this week (freaking customs issues), but I'll let you know how it goes. Let me know if anyone wants specific initial impressions or thoughts before/after!
you’re gonna love it. Give it a try with valves connected and disconnected if you want to completely bypass PSE (that’s what I did) for more sound below 4000rpms
Old 04-26-2021, 11:55 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by horns
I guess this system is intended to work with their headers?

https://www.jcr-developments.com/jcr...tted--silenced)

I don't recall seeing this system below discussed, but there are so many available maybe I missed it.
https://www.jcr-developments.com/jcr...pipe-(silenced)

With OE manifolds I wonder if the second link system would offer a relatively drone free (in a spyder) experience that wakes the car up, but isn't crazy loud (like 991 with their race pipe setup). My guess is that it will be very loud despite the small mufflers.
Bad links... goes to JCR and gives no product found.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:11 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Bad links... goes to JCR and gives no product found.
The " )" was missing from the link.. They're all on there at the following link below

https://www.jcr-developments.com/por...-spyder-gts4.0

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following 2 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
porscheflat6 (04-27-2021), Westcoast (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 02:46 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reedy
Order placed. Time to find out what JCR charge for shipping.

Johnny, will you accept payment in Bitcoin by any chance?
Which one did you buy?
Old 04-26-2021, 02:50 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by brianch5351
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by DocMo
you’re gonna love it. Give it a try with valves connected and disconnected if you want to completely bypass PSE (that’s what I did) for more sound below 4000rpms
You're not getting drone 2K-3K RPM?

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?