Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 03:34 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 828 Posts
Thumbs up SOUL "rear valved left muffler tip" being replaced ...

December 2022,

Everything is back the way it should be,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-04-2022 at 04:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
aclicky (12-05-2022), DerekHK (12-05-2022), SpeedySpidey (12-04-2022), UncleDude (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 10:17 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation Winter has arrived and the Michelin A/S 4 (Ultra High-Performance) are EXCELLENT !!!

Guys and of course Ladies,

Winter has arrived and the Michelin A/S 4 (Ultra High-Performance) are EXCELLENT !!!

As many on this Rennlist Internet Site have seen and read more than a few times why I changed to them ^^^

I'll save those Unbelievers another long-drawn-out RANT.

As well as me getting on my

See the below image of the eight (8) days of our weather forecast here in Franklin, Tennessee USA below.

You notice that not 1-day is the temperature over 40-Degrees in the "Mornings".
In-Fact the temperatures some of the days are as LOW as Single-Digits and 1-Day, 1-Degree.
A longgggggggggg ways away from PLUS 40-Degrees for (Summer Ultra Performance Tires) recommendations above 40-Degrees.

Since I have the Porsche Cayman 718 GT4 I'll keep my comments around it.
It came with the Michelin Cup 2 (Track-Tires).
I had those switched out as soon as the PDI was performed to the Michelin PS4S (Summer Ultra Performance) tires for temperatures above 40-Degrees.
Also for (Street Daily Driving) ...............

Next I finally could order the Michelin AS/4 (All-Season, Ultra Performance Tires) after waiting for Months & months & months.
They ^^^ are for all temperatures including but certainly Not-Limited to Below 40-Degrees !!!

Sometimes even on an International Porsche Internet Site where we all like to think members are above Normal Intelligence and Possess Common-Sense.
It seems SADLY that's NOT always the case and tires seem to be one of those times.

Hopefully for those Rennlist Members as well as Guest to Rennlist will see this Post and understand that there are actual Real-World reasons why tire choices vary.

Terry

The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
jimdillard (12-23-2022), slilley (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 10:40 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Terry, I agree with you 100%, and of course choice of tires, like oil, is a never-ending discussion subject to rants and personal attacks that are unwarranted.

I chose the AS +3 for my 981 and was totally pleased with them. I don't track my car, but like you, I live ina geographic area where we see some sub-freezing temps and lots of 35-40 degree days in winter. Driving on HP tires is not advisable and evidence shows that it is detrimental to the tires as well as the health of the operator. I still have the OE Pirelli's on my 982 GTS 4.0 and am just waiting until they wear down enough to replace with a set of AS+4's, and I will be glad to do the swap. Right now is is 40 degrees but heading into the basement tonight and I will not be driving the car since the tires are summer only. If I had the AS+4's already installed it would be no problem (although i doubt I'd take the car out in 5 degree weather tomorrow anyway).

To add a little perspective, the current AS+4 design is most likely better in every respect than the ultra hp summer tires of just a few years ago, yet will perform well in cold temps. I know many have to have the latest and greatest, but I'm not one of them. I long ago gave up my dream of being the next Michal Schumacher and I'm now just Walter Mitty. I enjoy the handling and acceleration of my GTS but would I enjoy it any more were it shod with the top of the line Michelin street or street/track tires (or tahrs as we like to say down south)? Doubtful unless I'm on a racetrack. Which ain't gonna happen, so I'm happy to putter along (at sometimes 125 mph) on all season high performance tires that a few years ago would have beaten the best race rubber in nearly every situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mitchell:
jimdillard (12-22-2022), tigerhonaker (03-09-2023)
Old 12-22-2022, 05:53 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
Terry, I agree with you 100%, and of course choice of tires, like oil, is a never-ending discussion subject to rants and personal attacks that are unwarranted.

I chose the AS +3 for my 981 and was totally pleased with them. I don't track my car, but like you, I live ina geographic area where we see some sub-freezing temps and lots of 35-40 degree days in winter. Driving on HP tires is not advisable and evidence shows that it is detrimental to the tires as well as the health of the operator. I still have the OE Pirelli's on my 982 GTS 4.0 and am just waiting until they wear down enough to replace with a set of AS+4's, and I will be glad to do the swap. Right now is is 40 degrees but heading into the basement tonight and I will not be driving the car since the tires are summer only. If I had the AS+4's already installed it would be no problem (although i doubt I'd take the car out in 5 degree weather tomorrow anyway).

To add a little perspective, the current AS+4 design is most likely better in every respect than the ultra hp summer tires of just a few years ago, yet will perform well in cold temps. I know many have to have the latest and greatest, but I'm not one of them. I long ago gave up my dream of being the next Michal Schumacher and I'm now just Walter Mitty. I enjoy the handling and acceleration of my GTS but would I enjoy it any more were it shod with the top of the line Michelin street or street/track tires (or tahrs as we like to say down south)? Doubtful unless I'm on a racetrack. Which ain't gonna happen, so I'm happy to putter along (at sometimes 125 mph) on all season high performance tires that a few years ago would have beaten the best race rubber in nearly every situation.
Beautifully said Bill! I may take my Spyder out tomorrow morning in the low single digit temperatures just because I CAN quite safely with my Michelin A/S4's! But I'll probably leave the convertible top up.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2022, 08:28 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,032 Likes on 553 Posts

Buddy of mine spun out his GT4 on Cup 2 on dry road barely above freezing.

Now the car is in the body shop.

These tires turn into hockey pucks when cold.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dyim:
jimdillard (12-23-2022), slilley (12-27-2022), tigerhonaker (12-24-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 09:24 AM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim

This isn't the first time I've heard of that same unpleasant experience. Is there a trade-off between the top end performance of the Michelin Cup 2's and 4S's over the Michelin All-Season 4's? Absolutely there is! Am I willing to accept that loss of top-end performance for the ability to drive safely in our +3F/-16C temperatures we have here in TN this morning? YOU BETTER BET I AM! It's cheap insurance.

Last edited by jimdillard; 12-23-2022 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (04-06-2023)
Old 12-23-2022, 01:20 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell

Originally Posted by jimdillard
Beautifully said Bill! I may take my Spyder out tomorrow morning in the low single digit temperatures just because I CAN quite safely with my Michelin A/S4's! But I'll probably leave the convertible top up.

Merry Christmas!
Originally Posted by Dyim

Originally Posted by jimdillard

This isn't the first time I've heard of that same unpleasant experience. Is there a trade-off between the top end performance of the Michelin Cup 2's and 4S's over the Michelin All-Season 4's? Absolutely there is! Am I willing to accept that loss of top-end performance for the ability to drive safely in our +3F/-16C temperatures we have here in TN this morning? YOU BETTER BET I AM! It's cheap insurance.
Guys,

You know guys I think personally if Chevrolet trusted the AS/4s on the New C-8 Corvettes and all the extensive testing they did with them.
Surely to goodness they will perform as Michelin also did their extensive testing of them.
It took me a heck of a long time to finally get them as that was when all the shortages were happening due to Covid-19 Virus.
At my age I want to be able to drive the GT4 as frequently as I wish which certainly covers Cold-Weather conditions.

And the last thing I want to do is foot the cost for a winter set of Tires & Wheels to have to Store them once that season is over with.
Makes much more sense to simply have the AS/4 for all 4-Seasons !!!

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-23-2022 at 01:22 PM.
jimdillard (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 02:04 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

The vette also has the two golf bag metric and brake by wire. Different strokes. I'm sure they're great for <50F on the street, but for some guys, AS/4 make no sense unless on a third set of wheels and used only for a few months per year.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:37 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by enduro
The vette also has the two golf bag metric and brake by wire. Different strokes. I'm sure they're great for <50F on the street, but for some guys, AS/4 make no sense unless on a third set of wheels and used only for a few months per year.
enduro,

At 77-years old and living as long as I have there is 1-thing I'm certain of when it comes to Any-Subject.

Opinions differ ...................

Terry
jimdillard (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 04:45 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
enduro,

At 77-years old and living as long as I have there is 1-thing I'm certain of when it comes to Any-Subject.

Opinions differ ...................

Terry
Yep
Old 02-15-2023, 12:22 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation 16-Months of ownership and all is A-OK with the GT4 ..........

Hello all,

16-Months of ownership and all is A-OK with the GT4 ..........
I just drove down to my local Shell for a fill-up with 93-Octane gas.
Noticed I'm now past the 7,000 mile mark.
And as I saw that the following thought ran through my mind.
I did good and still loving the GT4 after all these Many-many months and miles have taken place.

Took some quick pictures as I parked it back in it's Climate-Controlled garage.

Btw,
I'm enjoying the SOUL exhaust changes even more as I continue to drive with them.
The more I drive with them the more accustomed I'm becoming to driving with them.
My opinion is one does have to get a lot and I do mean a lot of in the City as well as road miles to be able to LEARN how to drive with the SOUL exhaust.
Once you get Really-really familiar with what to do and not to do the more one will enjoy the SOUL exhaust.

Terry
The following 5 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
jimdillard (02-15-2023), rwm (02-18-2023), smegman (02-15-2023), UncleDude (02-15-2023), yellolab (02-17-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Guys and of course Ladies,

Winter has arrived and the Michelin A/S 4 (Ultra High-Performance) are EXCELLENT !!!

As many on this Rennlist Internet Site have seen and read more than a few times why I changed to them ^^^

I'll save those Unbelievers another long-drawn-out RANT.

As well as me getting on my

See the below image of the eight (8) days of our weather forecast here in Franklin, Tennessee USA below.

You notice that not 1-day is the temperature over 40-Degrees in the "Mornings".
In-Fact the temperatures some of the days are as LOW as Single-Digits and 1-Day, 1-Degree.
A longgggggggggg ways away from PLUS 40-Degrees for (Summer Ultra Performance Tires) recommendations above 40-Degrees.

Since I have the Porsche Cayman 718 GT4 I'll keep my comments around it.
It came with the Michelin Cup 2 (Track-Tires).
I had those switched out as soon as the PDI was performed to the Michelin PS4S (Summer Ultra Performance) tires for temperatures above 40-Degrees.
Also for (Street Daily Driving) ...............

Next I finally could order the Michelin AS/4 (All-Season, Ultra Performance Tires) after waiting for Months & months & months.
They ^^^ are for all temperatures including but certainly Not-Limited to Below 40-Degrees !!!

Sometimes even on an International Porsche Internet Site where we all like to think members are above Normal Intelligence and Possess Common-Sense.
It seems SADLY that's NOT always the case and tires seem to be one of those times.

Hopefully for those Rennlist Members as well as Guest to Rennlist will see this Post and understand that there are actual Real-World reasons why tire choices vary.

Terry
It gets 'cold' in the nonsummer in the Arizona desert, too, and it rains, too (but not much), and I'm quite happy that I too have the Michelin PSAS4s on mine.. As discussed earlier, my all-season 20s are 255/35 fronts and 295/35 rears.

(I have 6 wheels and tires for both my Cayman and Cayenne Turbo.)

Now if only I could find some affordable way to enlarge those itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny brake rotors. Seems to be no such thing for the GTS as these Brembo kits for earlier Caymans.

Last edited by Jeffrey Behr; 02-15-2023 at 02:07 PM.
tigerhonaker (03-09-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 02:49 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 282 Posts

Terry,

Did you ever end up finding a solution for low dust brake pads? If so, what did you ultimately go with and how many miles have you added on them? Impressions?

I also vehemently hate brake dust for street driving and PCCB was not an option on my build…
tigerhonaker (03-09-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 01:49 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Behr
It gets 'cold' in the nonsummer in the Arizona desert, too, and it rains, too (but not much), and I'm quite happy that I too have the Michelin PSAS4s on mine.. As discussed earlier, my all-season 20s are 255/35 fronts and 295/35 rears.

(I have 6 wheels and tires for both my Cayman and Cayenne Turbo.)

Now if only I could find some affordable way to enlarge those itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny brake rotors. Seems to be no such thing for the GTS as these Brembo kits for earlier Caymans.
Jeffrey Behr,

I still am glad I had the tires switched to the now Michelin AS4 tires.
Here this winter the temps dropped to single digits.
And lots and lots of rain.
As you know these tires are for temps below 40-degrees.
And they do exceptionally well in rain.

I don't have any suggestions on enlarging the GTS Stock-Brakes.
Sorry ............

Terry

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD
Terry,

Did you ever end up finding a solution for low dust brake pads?
If so, what did you ultimately go with and how many miles have you added on them?
Impressions?

I also vehemently hate brake dust for street driving and PCCB was not an option on my build…
61XSPD,

See the LINKS below and they are ... {NOT} ... in the "Correct-Order"...
They will give you the information your asking for about the (Hawk Ceramic) brake pads.
I had to go back through ALL-My-POSTS that's why they are ... NOT in the Correct-Order ... but the information is there in-depth.

Finally things are now actually moving Forward with my GT4 ...........
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17685012

Thanks to KNS brakes for all your Help on the Hawk pads for the 2021 GT4 ...
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17616887

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17628721

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17750425

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18376922

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18376963

Finally things are now actually moving Forward with my GT4 ...........
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17685012

Okay I did the 2,000 miles Porsche Break-in so that's done and over with ...
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17746445

Guess who's coming to dinner?
Hey, it's Terry Honaker standing on the porch, soft suitcase in hand, who just drove 940 miles in a non-stop 15-hour drive from Franklin, TN to San Antonio, TX.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18144998

Latest on the Porsche GT4 .............
This post below is about the over 2,100 mile trip to and from Texas.
I'm sure I covered the Hawk Ceramic Brakes ............
If I didn't mention in the below post about the two brothers driving the GT4 and using the Hawk Ceramic brake pads???
Trust me when I say they had No-Issues at all with the brakes.
That includes Plus 100MPH Stops over Multiple-Times.
When I came back from San Antonio, Texas I fell in with a Super-Fast line of cars and at times we were way over 100MPH and were Always traveling around 85-90 PLUS-MPH !!!
Absolutely No-Issue with the brakes.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18149363

Pictures as of yesterday.

I hope the above ^^^ information gives you what you Really wish to Know,
Terry
pinion (02-16-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 04:17 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Smile Super Fun day over on the other side of (Historic) Franklin yesterday ...

Greetings,

So guys got a text message to drive the GT4 over to Jim's house yesterday.
Also, bring that EGO Super-Blower with you and make sure it's fully charged.
Don't forget the OBSESSED GARAGE (Short-Extension) with the soft-tip on it.

So, put the Lithium battery for the EGO on it's Fast-Charger to take with me to Jim's house yesterday afternoon.
The weather yesterday was like 80 degrees, sunny, zero percentage for rain and not overly windy.
Perfect conditions for cleaning and or detailing a Porsche Spyder in Gentian Blue.
I usually don't pay all that much attention to how long it takes to drive from my side of Franklin to the opposite side where Jim resides.
It took less than 30-minutes so he lives really close to me in miles and driving time.

Jim's Spyder has been at PON for I think maybe a week replacing the Front-Lower-Spoiler.
He can tell that story if he sees this Post and wishes to share what that Porsche Plastic Cost.
My opinion is it's Super Expensive when your ready to actually pick-up the Spyder and Check-Out.

Jim wanted to spruce up his Spyder after bringing it home.
So that's why he wanted to use my EGO handheld blower as it's Super Powerful.
His Gentian Blue 2022 Porsche Spyder now looks once again, Showroom new.
What I Really-really like are the Auburn (Gold) wheels as well as the Gold Graphics he has.
The Gold accents just really add to the Deep-Brilliant Gentian Blue.

Below Jim's Spyder after it was totally completed yesterday.
Yes guys I did bring the EGO and it was Fully Charged to get rid of the water on his Auburn (Gold) wheels.

Below are pictures of mt GT4 in Racing Yellow after Jim did the exterior.
It was and is Super Glossy looking.
I did tell him I was going to Deep-Clean the wheels once I got back home and applied Tire Dressing to let it soak in before driving it again.

Time to Deep-Clean the four (4) wheels and tires.

GT4 is once again looking GREAT guys after 13-months and 7,100 miles,
Terry

The following 3 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
jimdillard (03-01-2023), Rasputin. (03-04-2023), slilley (03-02-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker