Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 03:19 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 445 Posts

Car sounds amazing Terry.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 10:41 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Car sounds amazing Terry.
clutchplate,

You might have noticed that I didn't choose to mention any other manufacturer's exhaust systems.
That's intentional on my part.
I think everyone should spend their monies on what they prefer so I don't get into the Exhaust Comparisons sort of thing.

However, I did compare as you read and heard the SOUL V1 and the Latest/Newest SOUL V2.
I feel like I can do that since I have personally had both systems so I can offer an excellent review comparison.

I don't mind adding the below on driving with my newly installed SOUL V2.
It is such a DRAMATIC improvement over the 1st V1 system this V2 puts a Big-Ole-Smile on my face every-time I drive my GT4 now.
I'm loving it and I should mention everyone that's heard it likes it Both in the Automatic "Quiet-Mode" as well as when the valves are Locked-Open and that's when it does come alive.
I'm just glad I didn't get an attitude over the SOUL V1 and if I had done that I wouldn't have reached-out to John Gaydos on the SOUL V2.

This SOUL V2 is DEFINITELY a Huge-WINNER.

Terry
The following 3 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
aclicky (12-13-2023), Mike981S (02-03-2024), rwm (12-14-2023)
Old 01-21-2024, 04:06 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post New Hawk front-pads coming ...

Guys,

I'm having the front HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC DISC BRAKE PADS replaced as soon as the weather permits.
Weather here recently has been Really-really bad .............

Reason for replacing what I currently have is increased SQUEALING so time for New-Front-Pads.

Even with the weather here locally totally SUCKING with temps down to -1 Degree in the morning.

I decided to Fully-Detail the Front & Rear wheels before dropping it off on Jan 30th around 7:30 am.
(That also included doing the inside of the spokes for those wondering)
That's assuming the weather gets back to normal for here where I live.
I also have a Porsche Loaner reserved so don't have to use the Take-Home & Pick-Up back to Porsche rides.

Yes, I have a heated and A/C garage so I was able to do the Detailing of all the wheels.

Nick (Shop Foreman) will be handling the Replacement Hawk Front Pads as usual my preference.
He also is going to do the, Pre-Break-In and for that I am GRATEFUL !!!

Looking forward to No-more-Squealing or at Least-Less Squealing come the 30th.

Terry Honaker
Franklin, TN.
USA

The following 4 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
aclicky (01-22-2024), Mike981S (02-03-2024), slilley (01-22-2024), Treemagnet (01-21-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 07:54 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 213 Posts

Hi Terry, thanks for the update! How many miles on the current Hawk pads? I'm guessing the trick of doing some very heavy consecutive braking didn't work to reduce the squeaking.
tigerhonaker (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 10:17 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by slilley
Hi Terry, thanks for the update! How many miles on the current Hawk pads?
I'm guessing the trick of doing some very heavy consecutive braking didn't work to reduce the squeaking.
slilley,

Hi Terry, thanks for the update!
How many miles on the current Hawk pads?
As of a few minutes ago ............

I'm guessing the trick of doing some very heavy consecutive braking didn't work to reduce the squeaking.
Waste of Time & Effort ^^^

I talked it over with Nick (Porsche Shop-Foreman) and his thinking is the New HAWK pads will get rid of all or at least most of the annoying SQUEALING.
We will soon find out next Thursday if weather permits here.

I'm just looking for an improvement,
Terry
USA
slilley (01-24-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 12:44 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation Final results of the Newly installed HAWK-Front-Pads ...

Guys,

Just dropped it off and getting the service order written/typed up by Blake.

Blake (S/A) on left and Nick (Shop Foreman) on the right.

My New 2024 Porsche Macan loaner.

Well as things have turned out the in City driving still has the annoying squealing after the new HAWK Front Pads were installed and Bedded in by Nick.
Nick, did talk to me and explained that he did the bedding in process as HAWK said to do it.
So, I know what could be done has been done and done as right as it could possibly be done.

This is Nick on returning the 2nd time after allowing the brakes to cool down and then redoing the bedding in process again.

Life goes on and I'll simply accept the in City squealing front-brakes.
Terry
USA

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-02-2024 at 01:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
jimdillard (02-02-2024), slilley (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 01:14 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry to hear that. And if ANYONE could resolve that it would be the Porsche 20-something year Gold Level Technician sitting in your STEALTH GT4. It doesn’t get any better than Nick Gwozdz as those of us living in Middle Tennessee well know.
tigerhonaker (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 02:50 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Braking aggressively didn't fix it? That solves 99% of squealing brakes, even when I use track pads on the street. Higher temps = no noise.

I'm surprised brand new pads + bedding in still results in some noise. Are you very gentle on the brakes in general?
Old 02-02-2024, 04:06 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

For the street with an occasional track day I’ve found the Ferrodo DS2500 to be mostly quiet. If you street drive the car and they squeal try a couple of high speed hard stops. Repeat as necessary. The factory pads on my 15 GT3 squealed like a pig.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:19 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jimdillard
Sorry to hear that.
And if ANYONE could resolve that it would be the Porsche 20-something year Gold Level Technician sitting in your STEALTH GT4.
It doesn’t get any better than Nick Gwozdz as those of us living in Middle Tennessee well know.
Jim,

Your exactly right that when Nick (Shop-Foreman) says everything was done by the book and it's still squealing with Low to Medium braking that's just the way it's going to be.
I'll also share this with you and everyone ............
This was not an inexpensive sort of thing as the total cash out-of-pocket was around $800.00 US Dollars.
Now this is just my thinking so guys I'm certainly not telling anyone else what to do.
I decided I'd give this one try using Nick as I knew when he did it all including the Bedding-in process it would definitely be done as right as it could possibly be done.
With the above being said ^^^
Now I have the answer and the Cash Outlay was worth it to me to get the answer on the annoying-squealing !!!
Sometimes guys one just has to decide is it worth whatever the expense to get an answer and to me it was worth the Expense but I'm now over messing with the in City, Stop & Go Squealing.

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
Braking aggressively didn't fix it?
That solves 99% of squealing brakes, even when I use track pads on the street. Higher temps = no noise.

I'm surprised brand new pads + bedding in still results in some noise.
Are you very gentle on the brakes in general?
FazedChicken,

Agreed but unfortunately things didn't end-up much different.
I can live with it but thought as I said above I'd give it one-try as I did.
Are you very gentle on the brakes in general?
Well, let me see if I can give you a more in-depth answer to the above than a simple, Yes or No.
In the City of course I'm not jumping on the brakes HARD !!!

Now, the GT4 is heading to 9,000 miles and two years old.
So, in two years and 9,000 miles it has been stopped from speeds in (MEXICO) of way over 100-Plus MPH over and over and over and over etc.
With what I'd say, HARD BRAKING of course.
And in some cases Extremely-Hard-Braking ...............

When I drove that round-trip to San Antonio & La-Vernia, Texas which was 2,141 miles round-trip.
And the two Brothers driving it Wide-Open on Country Roads I'm Damn sure they were running it Wide-Open and Super-Hard-Stops !!!
Per their conversations back to me when they returned ^^^

I'm attempting to say the GT4 has what I'd call a well rounded History for a GT-Performance-Porsche driven on the street the last two years and 9,000 miles.

Given the above ^^^
They were squealing in the City at slow to moderate speeds and now with New front-pads that are Designed to be, Low-Dust and Super-Quite.
I'm just going to accept that some GT4s can and do Squeal in the City with Stop & Go traffic.

Originally Posted by Alan C.
For the street with an occasional track day I’ve found the Ferrodo DS2500 to be mostly quiet.
If you street drive the car and they squeal try a couple of high speed hard stops.
Repeat as necessary.
The factory pads on my 15 GT3 squealed like a pig.
Alan C,

Thanks Sir for the input on the, Ferrodo DS2500 pads.

Personally, I'm now done with this squealing thing.

Thanks again,
Terry
USA
jimdillard (02-03-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 10:58 AM
570boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Terry,

I appreciate the super detailed thread here, and very much enjoyed reading. I recently picked up a 718 Spyder also in Racing Yellow and am considering exhaust modifications, and I have been thinking about the Soul Valved Exhaust. I don’t really want more volume, just want the nice smooth flat 6 tone, so likely will just change out the back box. Also from CA where emissions are little bit more strict. It seems like a lot of improvments were made for the 2-3k RPM range with regards to drone, do you think this would still be true for a car with stock OAPs and headers?

The other question/concern I had with this system is that would having such little clearance cause potential issues with the exhaust rubbing against the heat shield at some point? I wonder if Soul has any recommended solutions around this and updated documentation on their website regarding this V2 system.

What are your thoughts on this system versus the Kline that a lot of people like? Seems to be about the same price. Do you have experience with any other systems, like the Fabspeed maybe? Fabspeed is considerably less expensive. Also, may I ask why you chose to install the Cargraphics Valve Controller over the Soul valve controller?

Old 02-12-2024, 02:14 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 570boxster
Hi Terry,

I appreciate the super detailed thread here, and very much enjoyed reading. I recently picked up a 718 Spyder also in Racing Yellow and am considering exhaust modifications, and I have been thinking about the Soul Valved Exhaust. I don’t really want more volume, just want the nice smooth flat 6 tone, so likely will just change out the back box. Also from CA where emissions are little bit more strict. It seems like a lot of improvments were made for the 2-3k RPM range with regards to drone, do you think this would still be true for a car with stock OAPs and headers?

The other question/concern I had with this system is that would having such little clearance cause potential issues with the exhaust rubbing against the heat shield at some point? I wonder if Soul has any recommended solutions around this and updated documentation on their website regarding this V2 system.

What are your thoughts on this system versus the Kline that a lot of people like? Seems to be about the same price. Do you have experience with any other systems, like the Fabspeed maybe? Fabspeed is considerably less expensive. Also, may I ask why you chose to install the Cargraphics Valve Controller over the Soul valve controller?
570boxster,

I see you have a total of 5 posts.
I'm not mentioning the above to say that's a negative thing just saying it seems your not an active Rennlist member in general.

Speaking of Kline and my SOUL V2 exhaust, SOUL (Performance) ceramic-coated OAP exhaust components.
This hopefully doesn't start WW III ................
I have a close Porsche buddy that has the Kline Exhaust System and I have heard it multiple times on his Porsche Spyder and me outside his Spyder.
This is going to BLUNT and to the POINT .............
The Kline is simply Way-way to Civil until the RPM gets probably to 6,000 RPM up.
That's as Honest as I can tell you ^^^

The SOUL system I run is Much-much-much more instantly AGGRESSIVE SOUNDING either with Fully the valves Locked-Closed in Full Automatic Mode or DEFINITELY with valves LOCKED-WIDE-OPEN.
Another way to say the above, my GT4 under WOT, valves Locked-Open sounds like what a person would think and hope a GT Porsche should sound like.

I am thinking you have seen the Semi Recent four (4) YouTube videos I did on my SOUL V2 exhaust.
They are all in this Dedicated Thread or go to YouTube and search, Terry Honaker

Speaking of why I have the Cargraphics Valve Controller rather than the SOUL valve controller.
I gave the information to my Porsche (Shop Foreman) Nick and he picked the Cargraphics Controller.
He said to him the Cargraphics Controller was what he considered a, "Plug & Play" unit.
It to him could have been from Porsche as it was like a Porsche item to him.

I have had similar questions in the past two years about other exhaust manufacturers.
And I did my Very Best to get those members to the right contact person to get useful, correct, honest answers.
I'm going to give you the EXACT person and all you have to do is pick-up your cellphone and give him a call on his cellphone.
If he is readily available he will instantly answer .............
If he is on his cellphone which he is on constantly simply leave him a message and he will DEFINITELY call you back as soon as he can.

And you can certainly tell John I said to mention my name to him !!!

I cannot overstress you calling ...............

SOUL PERFORMANCE
John Gaydos (Owner) and super knowledgeable.

John Gaydos, (484) 883-6197 cellphone
johng@soulpp.com

Terry Honaker
Franklin, TN.
USA

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-12-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:25 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Smile FREE Detail from my Porsche Spyder buddy yesterday ...

Guys,

I think it's fun to do post that include other Rennlist members.

In this case Jim Dillard that has the 2022 Porsche Spyder in Gentian Blue that lives on the other side of "Historic" Franklin from me.

Moving on with this story ..................
So I get a text from Jim and he is going to do a refresh on his wife's (Kathy) Cayenne SUV.
He said run over if your not busy and hang-out which I have done over the past 2-years.
You'll see her Porsche SUV in the background in front of my GT4.

Now, here's what's so cool and I wish to share with you Rennlist guys below.

Jim, did my GT4 with Adam's detailer including the complete body as well as the 4-Silver-Wheels including the inside of those.
It looked GREAT guys after he finished.

So before I forget to say, Thank-You, Jim Dillard for hooking me up buddy.

You probably can't see it but Jim is showing some of the Dust he's getting off the GT4 using the Adams Detailer.

The back-end really picks-up the dust much more so than the rest of the GT4.
I think you can see the dust on the Micro-Fiber-Cloth in the below image.

Remember above I said he even did all the Bright-Silver wheels he actually did that !!!

BTW,
Guys Jim did that so I wouldn't be embarrassed when I drop the GT4 off this coming Thursday morning to PON, "Porsche of Nashville".
I'm going to have Nick reinstall an item I had him previously remove when I had him install that SOUL V1 (Version 1) rear-muffler-assembly back in November 2022.

If Nick takes pictures I'll Post them here after I pick the GT4 back up.

Terry
USA

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-24-2024 at 01:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
Mike981S (02-25-2024), slilley (02-28-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 01:11 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Mike981S ......................

Mike981S,

Mike,
Waiting patiently for the GT4RS
So I see your waiting "Semi-Patiently" for the GT4RS.

https://rennlist.com/forums/european...l#post19241485

Congratulations Sir and enjoy it once you take delivery.

To me the RS has to be so Awesome when it's at 9,000 RPM, at Wide-Open-Throttle.

Be safe buddy and Enjoy,
Terry Honaker
Franklin, TN.
USA

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-25-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Mike981S (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 10:26 PM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 441 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Mike981S,

So I see your waiting "Semi-Patiently" for the GT4RS.

https://rennlist.com/forums/european...l#post19241485

Congratulations Sir and enjoy it once you take delivery.

To me the RS has to be so Awesome when it's at 9,000 RPM, at Wide-Open-Throttle.

Be safe buddy and Enjoy,
Terry Honaker
Franklin, TN.
USA
Haha... yeah... it is now more semi- than fully-patiently

Thanks and enjoy your GT4!
tigerhonaker (02-26-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker