Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 12:23 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Smile Well the SOUL V2 "rear-valved-muffler" exhaust has just arrived at PON ...

Progress,

The box the SOUL V2 exhaust gets shipped in has now been picked-up by Porsche of Nashville parts runner.
He drives a Large Commercial Van so we both grabbed each end of the box and slid it in the van.
Off Noah (Parts Guy) went to PON.
Noah told me he knew my GT4 and was going to check it out while Nick was doing the install.
He took it straight to Nick's work bay in the shop and sent me a picture.
Both the Soul V2 exhaust is now at PON as well as the BMC Performance intake filters.
Time is moving on and Next-Friday my Porsche Cayman 718 GT4 will be dropped-off to PON around 7:30 am.

This is going to be I think a Very-very nice change coming and I am looking forward to it.

Noah and I will be loading the SOUL V2 exhaust box.

We just slid it in the van.

Secured and ready to deliver to PON.

Noah placed the SOUL V2 exhaust box in Nick's bay.

And below are the two Main (PON) Porsche of Nashville guys I mainly deal with.

Next Friday is not far away now and Good-Times will be Happening then for sure.

Terry

The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 01:27 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 461 Posts

I gotta hand it to you... you're a patient man!
You didnt even open the box LOL, and here I thought my impatience got the best of you: with this posts sole purpose to show the system installed on the lift at your dealer.

Twiddles thumbs
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (11-14-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 11:16 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I gotta hand it to you... you're a patient man!
You didnt even open the box LOL, and here I thought my impatience got the best of you: with this posts sole purpose to show the system installed on the lift at your dealer.

Twiddles thumbs
BoxKing,

Here is the real-deal with me and this Rennlist.com internet site.
It is a place I frequent as we didn't have children so this is entertaining to me to see and read what everyone is doing and discussing.
I'm an old guy compared I think to the majority of members.
I'm also a retired guy so I can take all the time I wish to post pictures and give/provide much greater input/feedback than guys that are still working and of course that are raising children.

Back to SOUL V2 "rear valved muffler" discussions.
Of course I don't actually know what it's going to sound like until Nick does the install.

However I don't mind sharing part of my discussions with John Gaydos on the difference between the V1 I currently run versus the Latest/Newest V2.
To the best of my memory the V2 with me also running the SOUL Ceramic coated Performance OAP as well as the SOUL "Symposer" delete it will be more civil with {Closed-Valves}.
The benefit to me or for anyone else will be the V2 with Closed-Valves less Drone/Resonance if running my exact same exhaust components.
Also, I do have the Cargraphics valve-controller and if I set it to Fully-Open-Valves that will be for Much-More-AGGRESSIVE driving.

Lastly, this could well be Very-very important to anyone wanting LESS Drone/Resonance all the time regardless of valves being Open or Closed don't run the SOUL (Performance) OAP !!!
If you run the SOUL (Resonated) OAP either with or without the Ceramic coating the V2 will be Much-much more Civil but at High RPM it will NOT be as WILD sounding with that Ultra-High-Pitch like the Porsche 911 GT3.

I chose to NOT change out my SOUL Ceramic-Coated "Performance" OAP as I want to Retain that Ultra-High-Pitch, Screaming sound at say 6,000-7,000-8,000 RPM like a Stock 911 GT3.
If this works out as I think it will for me I'll have a much more civil GT4 for in City driving as well as cruising on the Interstate with Valves-Closed.
But, once again when I use the Cargraphics Controller and open the Valve permanently my GT4 will sound like a Racing Porsche and at High RPM it will be SCREAMING !!!

We shall see ................

Terry
Old 11-10-2023, 11:30 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post Just dropped off the 2021 GT4 to Porsche of Nashville .....

Guys,

Well as it turned-out the weather went to crap here locally for Rain on Thursday afternoon and early Friday morning.

So, I decided to call Blake (S/A) at Porsche of Nashville (PON) yesterday afternoon.
I asked Blake if it was pouring-down yet ???
He said it's not right now.
I said I have an idea if you ask Nick (Shop-Foreman) if he can pull my GT4 inside ???
He said bring it right now we can get that handled and you can beat the rain.

So, I gave up the loaner for Friday morning and just took a ride home and will use Cathy's Golf R.

Well sometime next week I will get the call to come pick it up.

Terry
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
slilley (11-11-2023), Treemagnet (11-10-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 07:12 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Do you have v2 installed yet? How is it?
Old 11-20-2023, 10:28 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lowbee
Do you have v2 installed yet? How is it?
Morning lowbee,

This week buddy...............

Trust me I'll be doing a Full-Blown Review/Report.

Terry
Old 11-20-2023, 01:52 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Morning lowbee,

Terry
We're going to need a Dolby Atmos soundtrack too Terry.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:51 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Morning lowbee,

Terry
Originally Posted by clutchplate
We're going to need a Dolby Atmos soundtrack too Terry.
clutchplate,

Your a Wild-Man, No-Doubt.

Terry
Old 12-08-2023, 09:35 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post 2Nd year service ..........

Guys,

2nd year service report below.

Note from Nick (Shop Foreman) to me on the 2nd year service.
Hey Terry,
Today I replaced the engine air cleaner cartridges and re-located the exhaust valve controller box to the cubby bin on the driver side next to the engine compartment lid.
The cable wasn't really long enough to go further forward and I didn't think there was a better place to put it inside the cabin.
I found a slice in the engine compartment seal allowed for the cable to pass underneath without excessive pressure or creating a pinch point.

Also note worthy, seems the air filter seal grease from K&N cures to a wax like substance and made it a just a little difficult to get the filters back out again.
I used the Porsche specified 00004330501 grease for re-assembly.

I also completed the brake fluid exchange, and I cleaned up the calipers, rotor hats, shock springs and wheel barrels for you and re-installed the front wheels.
Exhaust swap will be tomorrow.
Nick
I don't see any need for a lot of explanation on this post.
Nick covered what he did.

Below are the pictures Nick sent to me.

I'm separating this 2nd year service from the SOUL V2 exhaust that will follow below:

Terry

aclicky (12-08-2023), slilley (12-10-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 11:18 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post SOUL V2 exhaust install ............

Guys,

I have put this off so I could put the Break-in-Miles on the newly installed SOUL V2 exhaust.

This is going to be an in-depth report on the install with lots of pictures provided to me by Nick (Shop Foreman) that does all the work on my 2021 718 GT4.
Also, since I did wait until the Break-in-Miles were on the SOUL V2 exhaust there will be four (4) "Extended-Length-Videos".
I decided since John Gaydos was nice enough to work with me one on one on the SOUL V2 exhaust with very longgggggg discussions and him Never-Ever cutting the talks short.
I'd do my very best to share with all of you that are looking for after-market exhaust as complete coverage as I possibly can.

There is No-Need for me to go into detail here with text as to what I think as my Super-Lengthy You-Tube videos has all my thoughts on each.

I also wish to comment on the Four (4) You-Tube videos.
The videos are for those still looking for replacing their stock exhaust or for those that do have after-market exhaust but still not totally happy.
I have done the best I possibly can with each You-Tube video to show as well as let you hear exactly what the SOUL V2 sounds like and to do that I chose to make them LENGTHY.

The comments below from Nick to me are EXACTLY as I received them.
I Do-Not EDIT anything that Nick says, period.

Below is what Nick sent me regarding the SOUL V2 install:
Gwozdz, Nicholas
To:tigerhonaker
Cc:Sumner, Joseph
Fri, Nov 17 at 6:33 PM

Terry,

I wound up running out of time and weather to drive the car for after impressions. It’s all back together, but I’ve not driven it yet.

The fitment of this other system was more technical in that the valves for the sport mode are outboard and interfered with the bumper cover (particularly the black diffusor components) and the bumper cover required removal to fit the system.
Additionally, the sport vale on the passenger side was colliding with the heat shield material in the fender-well area.
I thought I would be able to shift the exhaust sufficiently to clear, however I was unable to and had to pull the bumper back off, remove some of the plastic backing material for the heat shield and encourage a little more room in the area round the valve.

I’ll be returning to work on Saturday the 25th and depending on the weather and the schedule, I might be able to drive it then (I’m not sure if Blake is working that day or not).
You’re welcome to leave the car (it’s in my work bay) in my absence, or pick it up at your convenience.
I wanted to be at this point yesterday, however some goings on at the shop required my attention and there wasn’t any way around it.
(I’ll spare you the details) and for this I apologize.

Nick Gwozdz

Workshop Foreman, Gold level Technician, Technical Training Coordinator.
Porsche of Nashville
1580 Malloy Lane
Brentwood, TN 37027
Nick to me on driving impressions:
Gwozdz, Nicholas
To:tigerhonaker
Cc:Sumner, Joseph
Mon, Nov 27 at 2:25 PM

Hey Terry,

I was able to warm your GT4 up and take it up and down the interstate with Blake midday. It’s immediately apparent that the new version of the exhaust has addressed the low frequency drone that occurs at 2000rpm +/- 200, it’s vastly improved when in “quiet” mode and it’s not even that bad when in “noisy” mode.
While there are still some lower frequency exhaust tones in this RPM range and it is noticeable depending on the engine load we decided is an acceptable volume and is certainly no longer such that it makes you want to vacate the vehicle.
Under higher load and at mid to high RPMs, the exhaust still has a great sound to it, either noisy or quiet mode.
We noticed it is lacking a little of the center-muffler deleted GT3 type shrillness towards peak RPMS that the old system delivered, however it’s still a great sounding exhaust and I feel the tradeoff is definitely worth it.

So far as the overall fit and quality of it, there’s no doubt it’s of high quality construction.
Some new-version specific directions would be nice so far as what to do with the separate resonance chambers that you need to add on, and there were some clearance issues with the heat shield.. primarily where the passenger valve is located, but also I noticed after-the-fact that had to massage some in the vicinity of the rearward tubing, and that the spacing between the muffler and the rear diffusor is pretty slim.
I routed the vacuum lines around the outside of the heat shielding (some photos included detailed the routing) so that it could attach to the valves without laying on top of any of the exhaust system components.
Seems that it’s well enough, I don't foresee any issues with it.
As noted, the new version is more involved so far as disassembly for installation than the prior.

Nick Gwozdz
Workshop Foreman, Gold level Technician, Technical Training Coordinator.
Porsche of Nashville
1580 Malloy Lane
Brentwood, TN 37027
Below are the pictures Nick sent to me of the SOUL V2 install.
Of course they are NOT in the "Proper-Order" as I was not the one taking the pictures.
But, I'm providing them so you can at least get an idea of the install of the SOUL V2.

The four (4) You-Tube videos below:

Me leaving the Porsche of Nashville dealership just picked up my GT4 with SOUL V2 exhaust installed "Valves-Auto-Mode".

2ND You-Tube video exact same route only with the "Valves-LOCKED-OPEN".

30-Minute You-Tube video driving in "Auto-Mode" for extended viewing (SOUL V2 Break-in-Miles) completed.

Last You-Tube video that's demonstrating (PERFORMANCE) only "Locked-Valves-Open" No-Traction-Control, Sport-Mode, Defeated Auto-Stop.

My intention for doing this Super-Lengthy review is only to provide information that if I had this information I could have made my decision on the SOUL V2 Exhaust, INSTANTANEOUS !!!

Terry Honaker
USA

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-09-2023 at 02:45 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
DR.S (12-13-2023), jimdillard (12-08-2023), LooseNut (12-08-2023), rwm (12-09-2023), slilley (12-10-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 03:11 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

I've heard both the SOUL Version 1 and SOUL Version 2 installed in Terry's STEALTH GT4. While I like the sound of BOTH and found the drone negligible in Version 1, I think Version 2 is a more "refined" system, and quieter at a lower RPM, especially with the Cargraphic Controller in the "QUIET" mode.

On an entirely separate note, I've never witnessed a goat stampede before, however, when I filmed this for Terry yesterday the goats grazing in the field immediately behind me went running for cover upon hearing the SCREAM from the Version 2 SOUL on the STEALTH GT4. That alone speaks loads.

Last edited by jimdillard; 12-08-2023 at 05:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimdillard:
LooseNut (12-08-2023), tigerhonaker (12-09-2023), UncleDude (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 05:24 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,208 Posts

Congratulations Terry! I’ve heard your V1 system in person (on a friends car) and it would not be something I could’ve lived with. You’re now part of the “my exhaust doesn’t annoy me” club! Woo! I watched enough of each video to get the gist of it, and to hear the relief in your voice. Too bad about the fitment issues, looks like that cost you some money. I’m very glad to see you just driving normally LOL, and not having to do paddle gymnastics around bassy resonance.

Looks like Soul made some nice improvements in tone, good for them and good for you for giving them another chance.
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
jimdillard (12-08-2023), LooseNut (12-09-2023), tigerhonaker (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 04:32 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimdillard
I've heard both the SOUL Version 1 and SOUL Version 2 installed in Terry's STEALTH GT4. While I like the sound of BOTH and found the drone negligible in Version 1, I think Version 2 is a more "refined" system, and quieter at a lower RPM, especially with the Cargraphic Controller in the "QUIET" mode.

On an entirely separate note, I've never witnessed a goat stampede before, however, when I filmed this for Terry yesterday the goats grazing in the field immediately behind me went running for cover upon hearing the SCREAM from the Version 2 SOUL on the STEALTH GT4. That alone speaks loads.
Jim,

Well with practice we did get the (Performance) ONLY You-Tube video completed.
And both of us upon review were satisfied with the End-Result.

I also appreciate your assistance in being the Video Photographer for the (Performance) ONLY You-Tube video, Sir.

As you mentioned to me it got more interesting when the GT4 was SKATING around on the street a few times.

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Congratulations Terry!
I’ve heard your V1 system in person (on a friends car) and it would not be something I could’ve lived with.
You’re now part of the “my exhaust doesn’t annoy me” club! Woo! I watched enough of each video to get the gist of it, and to hear the relief in your voice.
Too bad about the fitment issues, looks like that cost you some money.
I’m very glad to see you just driving normally LOL, and not having to do paddle gymnastics around bassy resonance.

Looks like Soul made some nice improvements in tone, good for them and good for you for giving them another chance.
UncleDude,

You, Sir, I enjoy the way you post.

This SOUL V2 is as I posted the Real-Deal.

And when it's wide-open at 7,000 rpm to 8,000 rpm trust me it's SCREAMING.

Speaking of the install cost.
As Nick said and I Posted his comments it was a Much-much more involved install for a Fact.

No complaints from this fellow at all even though it was expensive but IMO well worth the additional cost versus the SOUL V1 install cost.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment for what it's worth buddy.

Merry Christmas,

Terry Honaker
USA

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-14-2023 at 04:33 PM.
LooseNut (12-09-2023), UncleDude (12-09-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 02:10 PM
DarrenDressman01
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Terry,

It was nice to ride around with you for the last hour or so even if it was on the computer. I think the changes you made will make the whole experience a whole lot more enjoyable.When we were in it before I just thought that was the way it was and you just had to deal with it. Should have know you would be able to improve it. Simply put it sounds GREAT. Thanks. Bro, Darren

Hello Uncle Terry!
Love, Love, your videos! The Porshe is simply awesome vehicle! Had so much fun trying it out when you visited! Cannot wait to try out the new system!Love the new improvements! I am sure it will make it much more enjoyable for you to drive!You're THE BEST! ALWAYS love all your research and effort you put into everything!
Im sure this is the Best of the Best!
Love Ya!
Your Niece!
Teresa
The following 2 users liked this post by DarrenDressman01:
rwm (12-11-2023), tigerhonaker (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 12:34 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by DarrenDressman01
Terry,

It was nice to ride around with you for the last hour or so even if it was on the computer. I think the changes you made will make the whole experience a whole lot more enjoyable.When we were in it before I just thought that was the way it was and you just had to deal with it. Should have know you would be able to improve it.
Simply put it sounds GREAT.
Thanks.
Bro, Darren
Hey buddy,

Next time I drive in and visit with you and Teresa in Sadieville, KY I'll let you guys take it out just like last time when it had the prior SOUL V1 exhaust.

This SOUL V2 is exceptionally Super-Easy to live with in the , Calm-Mode, Valves in the Automatic-Mode.
Then with the push of a Btn on the overhead console to LOCK the Exhaust Valves to Wide-Open it SCREAMS !!!

Absolutely the Best of both Worlds !!!

Hello Uncle Terry!
Love, Love, your videos! The Porsche is simply awesome vehicle!
Had so much fun trying it out when you visited!
Cannot wait to try out the new system!
Love the new improvements! I am sure it will make it much more enjoyable for you to drive!
You're THE BEST!
ALWAYS love all your research and effort you put into everything!
I'm sure this is the Best of the Best!
Love Ya!
Your Niece!
Teresa
Hey Little Niece,

As I just posted to Darren when you guys get back from the Florida Keys in three (3) months the weather might be getting better for me to drive up for a visit.

Then you guys can take it out as a Team and take turns driving it and see what you think ???

You can try the Quite-Mode as well as the SCREAMING-Mode at High RPM.

You guys driving the Porsche Cayman 718 GT4 with the SOUL V1 Performance Exhaust having FUN.

Old pictures of Darren Married to my Niece Teresa enjoying himself.

And my Niece Teresa ...................
Darren told me Teresa was Romping in the GT4 and Enjoying every-minute of it.

Check-out that Big-Ole-Smile she's doing her Wild-Thing in it and Loving doing it.

And there is the two of them Totally Enjoying the GT4 just by themselves.

Be Safe guys and Happy Christmas,
Uncle,
Terry

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker