Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022 | 04:21 PM
Elegant
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
Great trip and report, sounds like Terry has sold you on the GT4.

I couldn't resist mentioning my so-far longest trip in a Porsche, back in 1986 I drove my 944 Turbo from Amarillo to my home in Fort Payne, AL, 1007 miles, in 16 hours. Other than gas and pit stops, we did also stop for lunch and dinner, 16 hours, which included a slight detour to drop off a friend. I hope to take a similar, though more leisurely trip in my GTS 4.0 soon. I might even have a set of AS/4 tires on it by then.
Hello Bill,
Glad you liked my report.
Yes, indeed, I am sold on the GT4.
However, I need something more practical so will just have to "suffer" driving my Audi RS5, lol.
Now, if I could swap the Audi's wonderful 4.2 L V-8 with that Porsche 4.0 flat-six other-worldly musical instrument, well...

I envy your planned trip in the beautiful GTS 4.0 but the days of me driving more than about 6 hours/day are long gone.
Even in my youth the longest I ever drove was 16 hours and I vowed never to do that again.
Take care,
Tom
P.S. I have the AS/4 tires on my Audi. Really like them. Much better than the OEM tires in every category.

The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022 | 09:30 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

I thankfully still like to drive, took my Cayenne on a 6000 mile trip to Glacier and points west in 2020, did it in 2 weeks so no really long days but occasional 9-10 hours on the road. My GTS trip won't be nearly that much. N. Georgia and western North Carolina mountains for some spirited driving, might even find the dragon's tail.
tigerhonaker (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022 | 06:05 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post Latest on the Porsche GT4 .............

Hello,

1st things 1st ................

Tom Cochran down in San Antonio, TX.
I'm glad you had the opportunity to actually see the GT4 in person but also to drive it.
And also your brother Cal got to drive it a few times.

Okay guys below are the pictures Nick at PON (Porsche of Nashville) E-Mailed me while I was in San Antonio & La Vernia, Texas.

The below pictures cover Nick doing the switch from the Michelin PS4S (Performance Summer) tires to the now Michelin AS/4 tires.
Also a full alignment.
Nick didn't do the Oil & Filter change as he said it would have been a total waste of my money.

All I really can share after driving the 2,000 miles round trip is.....................

I did choose to make the trip going and returning home all in a day and stopped only for additional gas and quick potty-break.

Love the new rubber as the AS/4 tires are smooth, less noise and seem to the three of us to definitely perform well overall.
Also I should mention that on a normal surface the GT4 was super easy on the ears.
But ...............
On the Rough surfaces the cabin noise is IMHO Pathetic and I could just barely hear the voice instructions from the Navigation.
Fortunately as you GT4 owners know you have two (2) Nav displays and those have BIG Bright Arrows to show where to go.

The highest MPG I saw on the trip going and coming home was 28.9 MPG.

Pictures below:

Love the Toll-Road I was on for awhile below.

Tom's house with a New fence.

Tom took me to a restaurant I think named Jim's.
It was Bad-to-the-Bone guys.

I'm up before Sunrise on Sunday morning to get an early start with No-Construction which going to Texas was a Total NIGHTMARE.

Lastly, I now need to do a Full-Detail so I'll get to try-out my Newly assembled OBSESSED GARAGE Karcher Ultimate wash kit thanks to my Long-Term buddy Bobby Price.

Terry
The following 3 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
jimdillard (05-17-2022), TripleL (05-18-2022), Webfiero (05-21-2022)
Old 05-17-2022 | 07:43 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hello,

I'm glad you had the opportunity to actually see the GT4 in person but also to drive it.
And also your brother Cal got to drive it a few times.

Okay guys below are the pictures Nick at PON (Porsche of Nashville) E-Mailed me while I was in San Antonio & La Vernia, Texas.

The below pictures cover Nick doing the switch from the Michelin PS4S (Performance Summer) tires to the now Michelin AS/4 tires.
Also a full alignment.
Nick didn't do the Oil & Filter change as he said it would have been a total waste of my money.

All I really can share after driving the 2,000 miles round trip is.....................

I did choose to make the trip going and returning home all in a day and stopped only for additional gas and quick potty-break.

Love the new rubber as the AS/4 tires are smooth, less noise and seem to the three of us to definitely perform well overall.
Also I should mention that on a normal surface the GT4 was super easy on the ears.
But ...............
On the Rough surfaces the cabin noise is IMHO Pathetic and I could just barely hear the voice instructions from the Navigation.
Fortunately as you GT4 owners know you have two (2) Nav displays and those have BIG Bright Arrows to show where to go.

The highest MPG I saw on the trip going and coming home was 28.9 MPG.

Pictures below:

Awesome shots. Can't believe the problems some are having with the exhaust collar mod since the vacuum actuators appear to be pretty accessible in your photos.
Old 05-18-2022 | 02:32 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

I thankfully still like to drive, took my Cayenne on a 6000 mile trip to Glacier and points west in 2020, did it in 2 weeks so no really long days but occasional 9-10 hours on the road.
My GTS trip won't be nearly that much. N. Georgia and western North Carolina mountains for some spirited driving, might even find the dragon's tail.
Bill,

I'm glad you are still enjoying your Machines buddy.
And the GTS is an Awesome Porsche for street use and Much-much more so than my GT4.
Hang-Tough my man.

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Awesome shots.
Can't believe the problems some are having with the exhaust collar mod since the vacuum actuators appear to be pretty accessible in your photos.
Interesting that those Very-very clear pictures were taken by Nick (Shop Foreman) at Porsche of Nashville while working on my GT4.
As you mention above ^^^ I have read the on going discussions on the (Vacuum Actuators) modifications that seem sometimes not to go very smooth.

Terry
Old 05-18-2022 | 02:34 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post Last picture I took as I got a lot closer to home ...........

Guys,

Last picture I took as I was getting Really-really close to home.

Also I did drive over to Porsche and Nick topped-off my oil.
They do that service as a courtesy.

Terry
Old 05-20-2022 | 07:16 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post 2021 Porsche Cayman 718 GT4 ... 1st complete detail ...

Guys,

I have just completed the 1st complete Hand-Wash or some might call Detail.

So lets get this show on the road ..............

Text will be above the pictures if I feel needed:

Below is what I actually have from OBSESSED Garage.
I cannot over stress that this package which is designed for home use does exactly what it's suppose to.
Which makes your life a heck of a lot easier guys.
If you do your own Porsche/Porsches at home I Highly Recommend this package.
It's 100% complete ..............

Below is the Ultimate Package in my garage and it takes up very little space.

Below is what I basically use and the roller-stool is a necessity for doing the alloy wheels.

The below Mothers Long-Handled brush with Soft-Bristles is a necessity.
A necessity for doing the Rear-End and under the Rear-Fascia of the GT4 as it reaches Way-way under.

Link below:
Amazon Amazon

Looking at the Front wheels Dirty.

Karcher and the Ultimate MTM PF22.2 Foam Cannon.
I'm using Carpro Reset Shampoo.

Front wheels Super-Clean.

Rear wheels dirty.

Rear wheels Super-Clean.

Front Fascia after the last Franklin, TN. to San Antonio, TX. 2,000 mile round-trip.

Here the GT4 is after I sprayed it completely with the Carpro Reset Shampoo.
Trust me guys the foam was thick and helped melt away the Grim & Bugs.

Keep in mind my GT4 has the PPF Track-Package as well as complete
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra plus two coats of Gtechniq EXOv4 Ultra Durable Hydrophobic Coatings.
Which all the above ^^^ greatly assist in Dirt/Grime/Bugs not sticking to the surface.

Time for the Rinsing with the Karcher High-Pressure-Washer and guys it kicks serious butt.
Also if you look close on the end of the sprayer it has Soft-Rubber-End for Added-Safety.

Next pictures you can see how the water bubbles-up on the surface.

And now time to put the EGO blower to work with it's Extended-Lithium-Battery.
The battery did not run down and I used it for a long time blowing off the wheels.
Inside the open-door areas etc.

BONUS, nothing touched the actual painted surfaces on the wheels or the body of the GT4.

GT4 is completed below and looks like the day I picked it up off the PON (Porsche of Nashville) showroom floor October 2021.

Thanks for dropping by everyone,
Terry
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
Elegant (05-21-2022), jimdillard (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022 | 07:46 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Terry...you better damned sure lock-up your garage tonight or I might just be inclined to drive over and STEAL that washing system!! Tennessee style, with my sleeper '03 Toyota pickup! In and out! FAST! Just sayin'!!

Beautiful job! Look how that Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra plus two coats of Gtechniq EXOv4 Ultra Durable Hydrophobic coating beads water. Do you have a floor drain in your garage, or does the water flow out given your garage floor downslope?

Last edited by jimdillard; 05-20-2022 at 08:19 PM.
tigerhonaker (05-21-2022)
Old 05-20-2022 | 07:53 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Terry, might you be a little OCD about your cleaning? My wife would love you, if you clean the house as well, that is. I at least have the same rolling seat, but I bought a shorter one a couple of years ago I ran across in a shop in Sevierville,TN that gives me a bit more headroom under my car when its on the MaxJax. I usually still use the two bucket hand wash method, and I often pull my wheels to clean them completely.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mitchell:
jimdillard (05-20-2022), tigerhonaker (05-21-2022)
Old 05-20-2022 | 08:11 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

I've been toying with the idea of buying one of those water deionizing contraptions. Most of the ones I've looked at say the cartridges are good for about 300-400 gallons, which comes out to about a dollar a gallon. Anyone use one of these at home?
Old 05-21-2022 | 02:16 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimdillard
Terry...you better damned sure lock-up your garage tonight or I might just be inclined to drive over and STEAL that washing system!!
Tennessee style, with my sleeper '03 Toyota pickup!
In and out! FAST! Just sayin'!!

Beautiful job! Look how that Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra plus two coats of Gtechniq EXOv4 Ultra Durable Hydrophobic coating beads water.
Do you have a floor drain in your garage, or does the water flow out given your garage floor downslope?
Okay Jim,

Something else I actually overlooked mentioning was on the EGO blower is the New OBSESSED Garage (Short End with Soft-Rubber Tip).
That's makes blowing the water off wheels as well as the rest of the GT4 a lot easier and SAFER.

If you noticed I have the GT4 at the end of the garage floor???

That does assist in the water running off and down the drive somewhat.
And the main thing that gets the job done is below buddy.

BTW,
With all the coatings over the PPF (Track-Pack) the water instantly blows-off !!!

Terry

Terry, might you be a little OCD about your cleaning?
My wife would love you, if you clean the house as well, that is.
I at least have the same rolling seat, but I bought a shorter one a couple of years ago I ran across in a shop in Sevierville,TN that gives me a bit more headroom under my car when its on the MaxJax.
I usually still use the two bucket hand wash method, and I often pull my wheels to clean them completely.
Bill, yes I also do house things as Cathy has two years left to work at Cigna Ins. and then retires with Full-Retirement benefits.
So, I jump in with no prompting from the little-lady.

The two bucket method is what OBSESSED Garage uses but I simply choose to dumb the bucket after doing the nasty wheels, tires & under fender-wells.
However the actual body of my GT4 is not all that dirty with the multiple coats of Ceramic-Coatings.
If I were doing a truly dirty, filthy, grimy vehicle I'd automatically switch to the two-bucket method !!!

I think we both are doing our rides justice on keeping them clean.

I can say with 100% certainty that I made the right decision on acquiring the following from OBSESSED Garage.
In all the years I've been cleaning, detailing my cars I have never-ever had anything like the following.
In-fact to tell it like it is ..............
I didn't even know something like it existed until watching YouTube videos and saw Matt doing the Demo with the Karcher washing system.
It makes doing what so many of us do so much easier and in away even enjoyable.

Terry

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I've been toying with the idea of buying one of those water deionizing contraptions.
Most of the ones I've looked at say the cartridges are good for about 300-400 gallons, which comes out to about a dollar a gallon.
Anyone use one of these at home?
SpyderSenseOC,

I know that OBSESSED Garage sells what your talking about above.

I don't have that ............

But I do have an in home Water-Filtration-System.
It gets rid of all the (Hard-Water) Minerals etc. in the water.
Which greatly helps with washing my GT4.
Of course it's not marketed for cleaning cars but that's simply a side benefit.

My water-filtration looks like the unit on the LEFT in below picture.

Mine came from the Company below.

https://happyhiller.com/plumbing/wat...er-filtration/

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-21-2022 at 02:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
Elegant (05-21-2022), jimdillard (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022 | 03:24 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

I have an RO/DI water system for my planted fresh water aquarium. As an added benefit, the RO/DI system makes for some great "pure" ice cubes for "on the rocks" drinks too. Why ruin the taste of great Tennessee shine with bad ice...for those that like it on the rocks anyway. This set of elements has lasted for 16 months with regular use and it's still down to just 2 PPM...darned near pure.

The following 2 users liked this post by jimdillard:
SpyderSenseOC (05-21-2022), tigerhonaker (05-22-2022)
Old 05-21-2022 | 03:26 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Last edited by jimdillard; 05-21-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2022 | 03:30 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

SpyderSenseOC,

I know that OBSESSED Garage sells what your talking about above.

I don't have that ............

But I do have an in home Water-Filtration-System.
It gets rid of all the (Hard-Water) Minerals etc. in the water.
Which greatly helps with washing my GT4.
Of course it's not marketed for cleaning cars but that's simply a side benefit.

My water-filtration looks like the unit on the LEFT in below picture.

Mine came from the Company below.

https://happyhiller.com/plumbing/wat...er-filtration/

Terry
I've also considered that type of system for my house but unfortunately the layout of my pipes just doesn't lend itself to easy installation and accessibility. I might just try one of those portable DI kits and see what happens. The water in my area is soooo hard and it's a real PIA.
Old 05-21-2022 | 04:10 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Rennlist Member

Hello,

Terry
TYVM, Terry.. Nice to see the premium Hunter equipment including the Roadforce balancer; my wheel dealer, too, has that, and I've seen them remount, 180 degrees around from the original orientation on the wheel, more than one of my tires.. I've just chosen the The Michelin Pilot Sport Allseason 4 tires for my prospective Cayman GTS, due any...year*.. I decided that I don't need summer-high-performance tires that will facilitate 98% of my car's handling potential while sacrificing some wet-weather performance and most cold-weather performance.. I've chosen the wheels, Savini BM12s...

...but not tire sizes yet, as I want them somewhat wider than originals.

GREAT thread; TYVM.

* Production month is scheduled to be October, 2022.

Last edited by Jeffrey Behr; 05-21-2022 at 06:20 PM.
tigerhonaker (05-23-2022)

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker