Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

C40 Oil Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022 | 10:17 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9972RS
^^ so what's the explanation for excluding the 5w-40 on a gt3 after 2020?
To meet EPA Fuel Economy requirements, or get them as high as possible........
Old 05-25-2022 | 10:32 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

ah, I see...

I always wondered why the change in viscosity, especially when the engine design hasn't changed much.
Old 05-26-2022 | 10:01 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by 9972RS
ah, I see...

I always wondered why the change in viscosity, especially when the engine design hasn't changed much.
This is a change from my 2021 GTS 4.0 owners manual which lists 5W-40 as acceptable.
Old 05-26-2022 | 10:13 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
This is a change from my 2021 GTS 4.0 owners manual which lists 5W-40 as acceptable.
Yea, no one has explained that change to omit 5W-40 on the same car from 21 to 22.
Old 05-26-2022 | 10:30 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Yea, no one has explained that change to omit 5W-40 on the same car from 21 to 22.
Well, I ran Liqui Moly 5W-40 in it before the engine failure, the new motor came with I suppose 0W-40 from the factory, since the oil was in it when it arrived from Germany. I get a free oil change soon nd it will be the same, but once I start doing my own I'll be running Liqui Moly.
Old 05-26-2022 | 07:36 PM
Kelsey
Rennlist Member

I’ve got a friend who is not a member of Rennlist who had his oil changed at the dealership and they used A40 Mobil-1. Now that he can purchase C40 Mobil-1 at Autozone he asked me if he can switch out the oil and filter with the C40 oil. I said I don’t know. I did see an UOA of C40 vs A40 and it appeared that as the C40 oil just has less calcium. I don’t know what to tell him as in my owners manual for a 911, it mentions something about not mixing A40 and C40. Also hard to get a straight answer from the dealership. Anyone approach this issue with there vehicle?
Old 05-26-2022 | 07:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kelsey
I’ve got a friend who is not a member of Rennlist who had his oil changed at the dealership and they used A40 Mobil-1. Now that he can purchase C40 Mobil-1 at Autozone he asked me if he can switch out the oil and filter with the C40 oil. I said I don’t know. I did see an UOA of C40 vs A40 and it appeared that as the C40 oil just has less calcium. I don’t know what to tell him as in my owners manual for a 911, it mentions something about not mixing A40 and C40. Also hard to get a straight answer from the dealership. Anyone approach this issue with there vehicle?
I think the manual may say something about the C40 oil standard not being backwards compatible with A40. That doesn't mean you can't mix them, it just means doing so will make the mixture satisfy neither A40 nor C40 standard. Tell him it's fine to change over to C40 on his next change.
The following users liked this post:
Kelsey (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022 | 07:47 PM
unclemat
Pro

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Nonsense. 0w vs. 5w is inconsequential unless it is like -30 C. Virtually none of these cars ever see such temperatures.
Old 05-26-2022 | 08:37 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by unclemat
Nonsense. 0w vs. 5w is inconsequential unless it is like -30 C. Virtually none of these cars ever see such temperatures.
I agree, the 0-40 spec gives an incremental increase in fuel efficiency but performance differences would be impossible to quantify.
Old 05-26-2022 | 10:13 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kelsey
There won't be any issue with miscibility between A40 and C40 oils. I did read something from the owner's manual or maybe a bulletin that stated if you couldn't find a C40 you could safely top off the oil with an A40.

However, if you need to change your oil and cannot find a C40 and you have a model with direct injection AND forced induction, by no means should you use an A40 oil instead.
The following users liked this post:
Kelsey (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022 | 07:25 PM
Valeyard
Instructor

FYI ESP X3 C40 seems to be in stock at https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/0w40m1espx3.html
Old 05-28-2022 | 12:12 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
Well,you can bet all your money that " the new guy " is doing the oil change in your expensive Porsche. They are called " lube techs " and they work in the " express lane ". That's all they do : oil changes and rotating tires. All dealers have them,including Porsche. Everyone has to start somewhere,I'm not here to bash them,but bear in mind that they do exist. And btw,it's not only about not tightening your drain plug,but about over filling/under filling(these cars don't have a dipstick and they do not show the oil level until fully warmed up). Sure,you can use the PIWIS 2 to read the oil level information off the oil level sensor,but I highly doubt a lube tech is going to do that. Also,some of these cars have 2 or multiple drain plugs,do they drain them all? Do they replace the washers? Do they torque them properly?
So my whole point is : people have been talking for pages and pages about C40/A40 spec,about oil brands etc...and in the end most will go to the dealer and pay ridiculous amounts of money for subpar service...not even knowing that the oil being put in their car comes from a drum barrel. And yes,the dealer might even give you a nice bottle of Mobil 1,I have even seen something as ridiculous as giving it to you in a special oil quart Mobil 1 pouch...
Yup, I can say even if you request a tech you're potentially just getting it assigned to whoever. High end dealers are just as susceptible to having useless techs as anyone else. A good tech doesn't want to change tires or do oil changes because apprentice level work often doesn't pay very good for hours. 1.2 book time to change 4 heavy *** tires and it takes you an hour if everything goes smooth? Whatever time to do an oil change and you spend half of it at the parts counter and locating the car? They rather do work that they can double or triple their time on.

I remember when I worked at Audi there was a 2nd year tech couldn't tell the difference between a 205/45/16 and a 225/50/16 tire. He thought they were the same and was trying to jam the rear tires on the front of my car. I just did my own tires on the tire machine after that.

Oil overfilling is common for most every new tech to do once because they think they are smart. Why give it 7 quarts and check when it says it needs 8. Just give it 8 and save 5 minutes! duh! drain bolt is terrifying, and happens. Bad techs will potentially not change the filter (the next tech will get it, so no biggie!) and if it's a drop in filter no proof. Oil changes are one of the few things on car that it's best to do yourself IMO. I do my own oil changes on most stuff I own. I plan to dealer maintain my GT4 though. Smaller dealers like my local Porsche dealer do have less chance of having bad techs because they should be very obvious very quickly and get turfed. Big operations they can slip through the cracks easier.
Old 05-28-2022 | 03:05 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Originally Posted by unclemat
I recommend that you read the material posted on the Mobil Website regarding oil viscosity versus fuel economy. Car companies are looking for every advantage, no matter how little. This is also why the Auto Stop/Start no longer remains at the last position, and you have to disable with each start of the engine - Requirement to meet emission and fuel economy requirements, plus If the EPA tested the car with 0W-40, then Porsche has to state 0W-40 in the Owners Manual.

From the Mobil.com Website;
Engine protection plus fuel economy
The low-friction formulations of Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy full synthetic motor oils increase engine efficiency and fuel economy versus viscosity grades most commonly used. How does this work?
During warmup, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oil flows faster because of its lower viscosity, which can minimize metal-to-metal contact to reduce friction and wear.
The lower viscosity, full synthetic formulation flows more easily through the oil pump, requiring less energy to pump the oil to critical engine parts. It also reduces friction at points of contact between the piston compression rings and cylinder walls.
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy provides faster lubrication and less viscous drag than higher viscosity oils, while providing exceptional wear protection and helping keep engines clean and running like new.
Despite the benefits of low viscosity oils, it’s important to remember that today’s engines have varying lubrication needs. For example, Mobil 1™ 0W-16 Advanced Fuel Economy is an ultra-low viscosity oil recommended by ExxonMobil for select Honda, Lexus and Toyota gasoline and hybrid engines. Find the right oil for your vehicle’s engine below.

*Potential fuel economy improvement obtained by switching from higher viscosity oils to either the 0W-20, 0W-30 or 0W-40 viscosity grade. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current engine oil viscosity.
-
Auto manufactures are looking for everything they can do to increase fuel economy and reduce emissions. Even if its only a small percentage.

If the EPA tested the car with 0W-40, then Porsche has to state 0W-40 in the Owners Manual.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 05-28-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2022 | 02:51 AM
dgts
Cruisin'

Default 4.0 engine oil type

I heard that oil consumption is normal for the GTS 4.0 during break in period. So I was trying to get a bottle of engine oil at a dealership the other day. The parts guy told me that the C40 oil they used to use was put on hold and they gave me this one instead. Just wanted to check with the experts here if this is the correct oil that I can use to top off? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2022 | 09:11 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

I ordered my C40 oil off Amazon. Not on hold as far as I know, just hard to get. I have 3500 miles on my GTS and just had to add a quart myself.

Quick Reply: C40 Oil Discussion