Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

C40 Oil Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 08:38 PM
dgts
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaulE
My quest to find Mobil 1 0W40 ESP X3 for my first oil change after break-in has come up empty. My independent shop doesn't have it and when they called their Mobil 1 distributor, their rep said what they already have in stock met the C40 standard, which didn't sound right to me. None of the many local auto parts stores have any. The local Porsche dealer only has C40 by the barrel for their service department. The local VW dealer didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for VW 511.00 oil in 0W40. In the end, the local Audi dealer came through for me with 12 quarts of G-E55-040-1Q-DSP, which
say VW 511.00, so all is good. As others have noted, the owners' manual doesn't say the engine's oil capacity, although it does say it's unhealthy/unsafe to drink motor oil, what kind of refrigerant the air conditioning system takes and that the air conditioner compressor takes 130 cc's of compressor oil.
I managed to get some from local Autozones.. but I wonder if any dealer would be willing to use the oil that I bring on my own.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:47 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dgts
I managed to get some from local Autozones.. but I wonder if any dealer would be willing to use the oil that I bring on my own.
Agreed, my first oil change will be at my Indy, as will any non-scheduled maintenance oil changes, as I'll be getting the oil changed more frequently than every 10,000 miles. I told my Indy I'm not the kind of guy who bring his own bacon and eggs into a diner and asks the waitress to use them to make my breakfast. They were fine with it since it they couldn't source any C40 spec oil. I doubt a Porsche dealer would do this though.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:48 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 973 Posts

I am over the moon and wanted to share this right away or as they say in other parts of the world post haste

Saudi"s cut back on oil production is alarming, but my super duper special source assured me that the extra virgin, one of a kind Porsche blend, no chemicals added, mother earth derived oil, from deep in the what was and is believed to be the Garden Of Eden, yes The Garden is still available for select GT car owners. Of course I am one, well the special one actually

PM me for the secrete code and web site for your reorder. NOTE: If you are not part of the club ie havent ordered and been vetted, please dont bother sending a PM

The code, of course has changed recently and I am told I am one of the only ones in North American to have it

Its special and worth the monthly change interval to keep the money back guarantee on your poorly designed Porsche engine

Trust me

I look forward to the approved list of special GT owners who PM me

This truly is the special virgin oil our GT cars MUST have
The following users liked this post:
Avera (10-12-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 08:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,171 Likes on 2,916 Posts

They had 8 quarts at one of the local Autozones here last night too. Yes, your dealer should be happy to use the approved oil you supply.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:40 AM
dgts
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by PaulE
Agreed, my first oil change will be at my Indy, as will any non-scheduled maintenance oil changes, as I'll be getting the oil changed more frequently than every 10,000 miles. I told my Indy I'm not the kind of guy who bring his own bacon and eggs into a diner and asks the waitress to use them to make my breakfast. They were fine with it since it they couldn't source any C40 spec oil. I doubt a Porsche dealer would do this though.
You should be good They are charging you the labor cost anyway.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:41 AM
dgts
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GrantG
They had 8 quarts at one of the local Autozones here last night too. Yes, your dealer should be happy to use the approved oil you supply.
That would be perfect. I'll see what happens. I probably will have the break in oil change done at an indy store, and do the free one at the dealership as I wanted to have a full inspection done.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:14 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
I am over the moon and wanted to share this right away or as they say in other parts of the world post haste

Saudi"s cut back on oil production is alarming, but my super duper special source assured me that the extra virgin, one of a kind Porsche blend, no chemicals added, mother earth derived oil, from deep in the what was and is believed to be the Garden Of Eden, yes The Garden is still available for select GT car owners. Of course I am one, well the special one actually

PM me for the secrete code and web site for your reorder. NOTE: If you are not part of the club ie havent ordered and been vetted, please dont bother sending a PM

The code, of course has changed recently and I am told I am one of the only ones in North American to have it

Its special and worth the monthly change interval to keep the money back guarantee on your poorly designed Porsche engine

Trust me

I look forward to the approved list of special GT owners who PM me

This truly is the special virgin oil our GT cars MUST have
@996AE

I suspect there is a lot more truth behind your point than most will acknowledge

Still, I wonder why there are so many different car oil 'mixes' produced if one or another is not considered BEST suited for certain cars?

Personally, I tend to fall in the camp that there is a Porsche preferred and recommended oil for their GT cars, but no wheels of any GT cars are going to fall off if a quality oil of similar composite to C40 is used.

Avera
Old 10-12-2022, 11:34 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 973 Posts

There are many excellent points to oil threads

I was just having some fun with this one
The following users liked this post:
Avera (10-12-2022)
Old 04-21-2023, 09:04 PM
bulkychipmonk
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Reviving this thread, since I’ve been watching the oil level since I got my GTS 4.0 towards the end of 2022, and I just got down to the “yellow” indicator where it is saying I can drive on, but should top up with max 1.0 quart.

My question though, and I am a novice here, is that from this thread it appears there are two main options for oil: Mobil 1 and Motul, but there is a difference in there viscosity (if I’m reading it right), with Mobil 1 at 0w40 and Motul at 5w40. No idea what oil can from the factory (assuming Mobil 1?) but is it safe to add either to top up? I was able to get the Motul oil but want to be sure I’m not going to cause any issues. Attaching a photo of the oil I sourced too to make sure it is in fact the correct oil.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Old 04-21-2023, 09:08 PM
dgts
Cruisin'

The factory uses Mobil 1. I'd have the dealer to top it off. For my case, I did an break in oil change at 1500 miles and the oil hasn't drop since (I've been driving it really hard after break in service). The oil did drop half quart after the first 1500 miles.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:17 PM
bulkychipmonk
Instructor

The factory uses Mobil 1. I'd have the dealer to top it off. For my case, I did an break in oil change at 1500 miles and the oil hasn't drop since (I've been driving it really hard after break in service). The oil did drop half quart after the first 1500 miles.
Thanks for the info! Annoyingly, I took it into my local Porsche center about a month or so ago when it was down to the last green bar, and they talked me out of an oil/filter change! But the service advisor said they’d top it off, FOC. When I took it down there they said it was “fine” and didn’t need topping off and it would be fine. Given that I’ve been tracking the oil levels since I purchased the car new, I was skeptical, and of course a month down the line and it’s at the minimum level.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:23 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by bulkychipmonk
… but is it safe to add either to top up?
Yes.
The following 2 users liked this post by worf928:
981KMAN (04-22-2023), dichael (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 10:01 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,088 Likes on 1,778 Posts

First and foremost, any oil is better than no oil, so if you get low, add oil. Next is any C40 is fine, so don't worry about a slight difference in viscosity. Lastly, flat-6 engines aren't necessarily supposed to be kept at the full mark, but rather in the middle range of the green (because oil expands a bit when hot and these engines do NOT like to be over-filled). Here's a chart:

The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
steve9 (04-22-2023), UncleDude (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 07:12 AM
Voyager006
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bulkychipmonk
My question though, and I am a novice here, is that from this thread it appears there are two main options for oil: Mobil 1 and Motul, but there is a difference in there viscosity (if I’m reading it right), with Mobil 1 at 0w40 and Motul at 5w40. No idea what oil can from the factory (assuming Mobil 1?) but is it safe to add either to top up? I was able to get the Motul oil but want to be sure I’m not going to cause any issues. Attaching a photo of the oil I sourced too to make sure it is in fact the correct oil.
0w40 viscosity acts like 0 weight at cold/startup and 40 weight at temperature
5w40 viscosity acts like 5 weight at cold/startup and 40 weight at temperature
Old 04-22-2023, 09:25 AM
bulkychipmonk
Instructor

Appreciate the help, all! Went ahead and topped off with the Motul this morning and we’re back to full health

Now I need fuel…

The following 3 users liked this post by bulkychipmonk:
981KMAN (04-22-2023), AdamIsAdam (04-22-2023), Odin (04-22-2023)

Quick Reply: C40 Oil Discussion