Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 01:33 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmycrack
I’d like to chime in with my review of the Kline rear exhaust in stainless steel, which I installed on my 718 Spyder recently. Like many on this forum, I found the stock exhaust somewhat lackluster. Top up, I found the stock sound to be good, though not great. It wasn’t the purest or most musical note, but it had some crescendo and sufficient volume to create excitement beyond 6k RPMs However, with the top down, I was very underwhelmed with the sonic experience of the car. The exhaust sound was too easily drowned out by wind noise and was flat and uninspiring.

After deciding to purchase an exhaust, I researched the various options. I did not like the idea of having an inert GPF with no other function other than unselectively muting the sound, and I also wanted to change the pitch/character of the sound by the rear muffler. Unfortunately, it was quite hard to discern the sound differences between the various options based on the available videos, so among the reputable companies with offerings, I decided to go with the most reasonably priced option—the Kline rear section exhaust in stainless steel. I ordered through Sam@ByDesign, who had the best pricing and was very helpful and responsive. The exhaust took ~12 weeks to arrive and I had it installed promptly. I never thought I would gush about the beauty of some metal pipes, but it certainly had the look of a premium product. Great fitment too.

Driving with the top up, I was happy with the change. The volume was increased a little, and more importantly, the tone was much crisper and tuneful. Some mild resonance (though no drone) from 2.2-2.8k was more prominent, as has been described commonly. The exhaust was not transformative but it was substantially better. At this point, I was satisfied but could not help but wonder if I should have gone with the Inconel or a more aggressive setup for a potentially more exotic sound . Or maybe I should have just only done over-axel pipes only, as most of the change was improvement in the clarity of the sound, which I attributed to removing the GPFs. However, when I drove with the top down, the sound was scintillating—loud enough to not be drowned out by wind noise and with a much clearer and musical tone. It brings a smile to your face whenever you wring it out. It’s not a subtle exhaust—it will turn heads and though pretty tame at low rpms, can still be heard blocks away.

So to conclude, even in stainless steel, this is a great exhaust. I’ve not heard the other exhaust options so I can’t speak to which sounds best, but this is one of the few that are reasonably priced. For Spyder/Boxster owners especially, I would highly recommend it.
Congrats! This is a sweet set up and im sure the sound is awesome in stainless! I think the most important part is the x pipe, diameter and the opf delete rather than material. The design and quality is soooo good. Im almost tempted to get the headers! I now love tooling around town (and my neighborhood) at 6,000rmp+ getting dirty looks from all the old people. Maybe that will get old one day - not!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:44 AM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

I’d like to chime in with my review of the Kline rear exhaust in stainless steel, which I installed on my 718 Spyder recently. Like many on this forum, I found the stock exhaust somewhat lackluster. Top up, I found the stock sound to be good, though not great. It wasn’t the purest or most musical note, but it had some crescendo and sufficient volume to create excitement beyond 6k RPMs However, with the top down, I was very underwhelmed with the sonic experience of the car. The exhaust sound was too easily drowned out by wind noise and was flat and uninspiring.

After deciding to purchase an exhaust, I researched the various options. I did not like the idea of having an inert GPF with no other function other than unselectively muting the sound, and I also wanted to change the pitch/character of the sound by the rear muffler. Unfortunately, it was quite hard to discern the sound differences between the various options based on the available videos, so among the reputable companies with offerings, I decided to go with the most reasonably priced option—the Kline rear section exhaust in stainless steel. I ordered through Sam@ByDesign, who had the best pricing and was very helpful and responsive. The exhaust took ~12 weeks to arrive and I had it installed promptly. I never thought I would gush about the beauty of some metal pipes, but it certainly had the look of a premium product. Great fitment too.

Driving with the top up, I was happy with the change. The volume was increased a little, and more importantly, the tone was much crisper and tuneful. Some mild resonance (though no drone) from 2.2-2.8k was more prominent, as has been described commonly. The exhaust was not transformative but it was substantially better. At this point, I was satisfied but could not help but wonder if I should have gone with the Inconel or a more aggressive setup for a potentially more exotic sound . Or maybe I should have just only done over-axel pipes only, as most of the change was improvement in the clarity of the sound, which I attributed to removing the GPFs. However, when I drove with the top down, the sound was scintillating—loud enough to not be drowned out by wind noise and with a much clearer and musical tone. It brings a smile to your face whenever you wring it out. It’s not a subtle exhaust—it will turn heads and though pretty tame at low rpms, can still be heard blocks away.

So to conclude, even in stainless steel, this is a great exhaust. I’ve not heard the other exhaust options so I can’t speak to which sounds best, but this is one of the few that are reasonably priced. For Spyder/Boxster owners especially, I would highly recommend it.
I see you have not added a valve controller yet? Add it, it makes it that much better. For a few hundred bucks you can't go wrong.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:59 AM
momo360
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 105 Posts

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will the Kline OAP+rear fit on a gts 4.0? Every comment on this thread seems to be regarding gt4 and Spyder.

thanks!
Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will the Kline OAP+rear fit on a gts 4.0? Every comment on this thread seems to be regarding gt4 and Spyder.

thanks!
Yes it will! Mine is currently in the shop getting installed as we speak.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:35 AM
Jimmycrack
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The range of prices I saw for the Kline stainless exhaust which includes the rear silencer and the OAPs was ~$3400 to $4700 (including shipping). Not bad, considering most companies are charging $1800 for just the OAPs. The inconel was more in the $6-7k range. These prices may have changed since the time I ordered.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:46 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 105 Posts

The range of prices I saw for the Kline stainless exhaust which includes the rear silencer and the OAPs was ~$3400 to $4700 (including shipping). Not bad, considering most companies are charging $1800 for just the OAPs. The inconel was more in the $6-7k range. These prices may have changed since the time I ordered.
$3400-$4700 is a big range..is that discount vs retail?
Old 06-11-2021, 04:14 PM
Cazten
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone heard both SS vs Inconel to compare the difference? Like most I'm interested in the higher pitch sound at the top end but im wondering just how dramatic the difference is to justify the large price increase in my situation.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:29 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cazten
Has anyone heard both SS vs Inconel to compare the difference? Like most I'm interested in the higher pitch sound at the top end but im wondering just how dramatic the difference is to justify the large price increase in my situation.
Call Eric at Supreme Power. I think you would be surprised at the value of the Inconel. Its totally doable. The price diff at a discounted price is likely about $1500. Or just get the SS, its a great system no matter which way you go.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:36 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,385 Likes on 815 Posts

Be happy to assist. If you guys need a quote please email me at eric@supremepower.com or PM

Thank you for the love @dnimi123

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 06-11-2021, 04:41 PM
Cazten
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremePower
Be happy to assist. If you guys need a quote please email me at eric@supremepower.com or PM

Thank you for the love @dnimi123
PM sent!
Old 06-11-2021, 06:25 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,385 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazten
PM sent!
Thank you. YGM!
Old 06-11-2021, 09:04 PM
Jimmycrack
Track Day

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
$3400-$4700 is a big range..is that discount vs retail?

yeah, the $4700 was retail from Kline. The vendor range was up to $4300.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:13 PM
Jimmycrack
Track Day

Originally Posted by ltfl09
I see you have not added a valve controller yet? Add it, it makes it that much better. For a few hundred bucks you can't go wrong.
I was waiting to see if the rumored DSC valve control development actually comes to fruition. Probably a pipe dream. I suppose I should disconnect/plug the vacuum lines and see if I like the sound difference, though so far it seems everyone who has a valve controller has endorsed it.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:30 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

yeah, the $4700 was retail from Kline. The vendor range was up to $4300.
Probably can do better than that but you have to shop around and get informed.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:55 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 127 Posts

I ordered the Kline inconel exhaust/OAP for my CGTS back on Feb 19 and it arrived a week or so ago and it is finally on and I have gotten to do a full day or 2 worth of driving. It was WELL worth the wait and probably more. I have to say that leading up to this I didn't think I actually needed an aftermarket exhaust anymore. I have about 2000 miles on the car now and I really thought the stock exhaust had started to sound very good as I accrued some miles. I was questioning why I spent all this extra money on something which was already more than adequate and so enjoyable to listen to in stock form.

I had the Kline exhaust/OAP and cargraphics valve controller installed at the same time. Originally I wanted to have the valve controller installed before the exhaust so I could comment on the differences but unfortunately I just couldn't have the car dropped off on 2 different occasions due to time constraints. When I first took the car home after installation I was originally kind of scared and very disappointed. The top end sounded nice but all I heard during regular driving and down low was some weird baritone booming type sound I thought was massive drone and was very unpleasant to my ears. It almost sounded like the cylinder deactivation had kicked in and amplified itself by many magnitudes. It hurt my ears even after I got out of the car. This is my first aftermarket exhaust and I thought I had made the biggest mistake ever and ruined the car - I was already planning on how I could get rid of it or revert back to stock.

Luckily I took the car out again the next day thinking something must have been wrong since all the reviews have been so positive and everyone says there is no drone with the Kline system. After about 20-30 miles or so, whatever that boomy raucous was up to about 3500 rpm either went away or was converted into what I hear now which is a magnificent high pitched hollow wail that perfectly compliments the engine whine that is pre-existing and which I already loved. I think the reason why I liked the stock exhaust so much is really because of the engine noises that are readily apparent when driving even at low RPMs. I never realized that you couldn't really hear the exhaust (at least with valves closed) most of the time. Now with the Kline setup you get the same engine whirring sounds along with a magnificent and unique exhaust sound at the same time. Together it is like a symphony and very addictive. I usually like to have the stereo playing something in the background when I am driving but not anymore - I want to take in as much as I can at all RPMs even down low.

I have to agree with people who have said the valve controller is a must have with this set up - After trying all the different combinations I have set the valves to be open all the time with the sport exhaust button pressed on (although I don't know if the sport button makes much of a difference if you have the valves to open all the time). There is minimal to no drone with a perfect exhaust note that is noticeable at low rpms and turns into the most epic sound above 5000 rpm. Having the valves open gets you that extra sound before 4000-5000 RPM which you would be missing otherwise and to me is an essential part of the experience. If you get the Kline setup (and you should!) - either get the valve controller or do the mod to turn the valves open all the time. I am a person who is sensitive to sound/drone and the exhaust/OAP with valves open does not leave negative impressions on me in terms of unwanted sound or drone at any RPM. One of the biggest disappointments I had with the stock exhaust was that you couldn't really hear the downshifting very prominently - this is also much improved with the Kline setup and valves open and you can definitely hear yourself downshifting. The only sounds I don't like now are the new burbles after you let up off the gas but luckily they are minimal.

The exhaust sound itself is not like a GT3. The GT3 sound is more metallic and sounds like the mechanical parts are falling apart or like a very pleasant shriek. The Kline Inconel sound is still high pitched, but more hollow sounding and more like a wail. It almost sounds like you are always in a tunnel. Both are memorable just different. The cold start sound is 300% improved from stock. With the windows down at high RPM the car sounds like a banshee screaming - makes me want to kick myself for not getting a Spyder or Boxster because the sound would probably be even better in a 'vert. I got a CGTS because I do a lot of city driving, running errands, going to work, etc. Not my daily driver but more of a second occasional daily driver and weekend fun car. I have to say the volume right now for me is perfect. It is definitely louder than stock especially at lower rpm which is what I wanted. The top end went from amazing to more amazing and a little louder just with improved pitch/tone. The car is not so loud now though that it is obscene. It is louder in a pleasant way at low RPM when you couldn't really hear the stock exhaust. I don't think I want it much louder though as it is probably on the cusp of being too loud for how I use the car. For this reason I probably won't be getting the headers although I will be thinking about them for a while!

As far as performance I can't say that I exactly feel the weight savings or the increase in torque/power from removing the OAPs or that the car revs more freely with the new setup but I do feel a small but noticeable subjective improvement which is likely a combination of all of those with a small amount of reduced weight, improved power, and a bit more eager to rev. Although it may just be the new glorious sound is confounding how I feel. Either way I am going to say the car performance feels slightly but noticeably improved.

The exhaust looks beautiful under the car. Yes you have to lay down to appreciate it but I never knew how much better an aftermarket exhaust appears compared to stock which is just plain fugly. Not that I care about that - I mainly wanted sound and if there was an improvement in performance great. Just a mention.

I have to say I am very happy with the purchase and think it is worth what I paid and well worth the long wait to receive it. I will definitely not be going back to stock. I think this car is now a keeper. I ended up getting it installed at my Porsche dealer and I knew they would rob me (and they did even more than I expected) but I wanted peace of mind in case of warranty issues popping up and they did do a great job with installation. Eric (SupremePower) made ordering very easy with a more than reasonable price - I highly recommend contacting him if you want any more info.
The following 11 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
2fnquik (10-13-2021), 998R (06-17-2021), afisherunc (06-17-2021), BrianShaw23 (02-06-2022), dnimi123 (06-17-2021), Growler48 (02-12-2022), GT3ED (06-17-2021), momo360 (06-17-2021), rooster17 (06-27-2021), snrubel (11-10-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust