Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 08:32 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,500 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdillard
Thank you. I've got the Cargraphic Exhaust Valve Controller installed and it's in the LOUD (open) mode for the duration of the video. Other than testing the Cargraphic Controller when first installed, I've always left it in the LOUD mode. It's a shame we have to pay to make the engine sound like it was designed to sound...however, welcome to the latest Euro noise regulations. The Cargraphic quickly solved that problem!
I hear you. I had the valve controller in hand too, but sold it after I put the collars on to keep the valves a bit open (when closed). Sometimes I still wish I had the ability to lock them fully open, so maybe I’ll reconsider. I’d love to hear Terry’s car with this mic setup, that’d be a fun comparison!
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
jimdillard (04-07-2024), tigerhonaker (04-08-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 09:53 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I hear you. I had the valve controller in hand too, but sold it after I put the collars on to keep the valves a bit open (when closed). Sometimes I still wish I had the ability to lock them fully open, so maybe I’ll reconsider. I’d love to hear Terry’s car with this mic setup, that’d be a fun comparison!
I've offered to do the same with Terry's car and his SOUL Version 2 on the STEALTH GT4. It could be fun!!
The following 2 users liked this post by jimdillard:
tigerhonaker (04-08-2024), UncleDude (04-07-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 01:43 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Thumbs up

I made the video at the YouTube link below this weekend of the Kline Inconel system (OAP's & Backbox - No Headers) installed on my 718 Spyder. Nothing special...however for anybody that's trying to make a purchase decision you might find this helpful. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrdLTlgh_s
Hi Jim D,

Just my opinion buddy after listening to your YouTube video.

Your 2022 Gentian Blue Porsche has exactly the right exhaust components.

And thanks for not doing some lame-*** down the street video !!!

Your extensive video gives the person listening more than enough to judge if they want the KLINE Exhaust System.

Beautiful Porsche Spyder and a Super informative YouTube video.

You done good.

Terry
"Historic" Franklin, TN.
USA
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 02:10 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 467 Posts

I made the video at the YouTube link below this weekend of the Kline Inconel system (OAP's & Backbox - No Headers) installed on my 718 Spyder. Nothing special...however for anybody that's trying to make a purchase decision you might find this helpful. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrdLTlgh_s
Nice vid!
IF you have time or interest - it could be useful if you could include some driving with the valves closed too. I may be a minority here - but I actually prefer the valves closed sound more in the very low RPM band (like 1500-2500)... and I think it would highlight how this exhaust can sound great in both configurations (open or closed). Either way thanks for posting this!
The following 4 users liked this post by MrFunk:
jimdillard (04-08-2024), silverscooby27 (04-17-2024), tigerhonaker (04-08-2024), UncleDude (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 03:06 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Nice vid!
IF you have time or interest - it could be useful if you could include some driving with the valves closed too. I may be a minority here - but I actually prefer the valves closed sound more in the very low RPM band (like 1500-2500)... and I think it would highlight how this exhaust can sound great in both configurations (open or closed). Either way thanks for posting this!
Thank you and you're very welcome. I'm afraid to try to close the valves with the Cargraphic Controller as they may be frozen from lack of use!! LOLOL!!

Actually...I'll try a "valves closed" version as a future project. I'm forcing myself to get trained on Apple's Final Cut Pro, so a valves closed video will give me another excuse to torture myself in front of the computer for a few hours. It's a VERY capable video editing program, however the learning curve is near vertical during the first few sessions. My wife mentioned the "Swear-meter" was fully pegged the first few times I used it.

Last edited by jimdillard; 04-08-2024 at 03:11 PM.
LooseNut (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 06:22 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 556 Posts

Nice vid!
Agreed. Closed is very good sound too and hear more of the engine and intake. I typically only open valves on spirited driving.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:44 AM
hotwired
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Just had the kline inconel and cargraphic valve controller installed on my gt4. Overall the sound is great, much improved over stock. However, I don't notice any big difference between the two modes on the valve controller. Theres a very subtle tone change, but volume is same in both modes throughout the entire rpm range. Honestly don't even know which button (1 or 2) is open and closed. I can tell that the controller is doing something because there's a tone change when the car is idle. Is this normal?

Last edited by hotwired; 04-10-2024 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:05 AM
PawpaBare
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Wei718
3 long years and still looks shiny.
Are these the RS stainless steel tips or the "standard" stainless tips you can get?

Best,
PB
jimdillard (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:32 AM
schweez
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwired
Just had the kline inconel and cargraphic valve controller installed on my gt4. Overall the sound is great, much improved over stock. However, I don't notice any big difference between the two modes on the valve controller. Theres a very subtle tone change, but volume is same in both modes throughout the entire rpm range. Honestly don't even know which button (1 or 2) is open and closed. I can tell that the controller is doing something because there's a tone change when the car is idle. Is this normal?
Agree 100%. Have had that valve controller for 3 years and never figured out the buttons or could tell the difference. Still the case after having my Kline inconel installed last week. Which is incredible by the way. I had the Akra OAPs which I now realize sounded pretty crappy imo. It was loud and grumbly but far far from exotic. I feel as though if Porsche had put on an exhaust like this that cost them $8k, the car could’ve been sold for a higher $15k. Transforms the experience.
The following 3 users liked this post by schweez:
BoxKing (04-10-2024), jimdillard (04-10-2024), UncleDude (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:48 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,500 Likes on 2,253 Posts

I find the valve transition most noticeable around 4000 rpm with the PSE on. Get to that rpm, or just below, and slowly apply throttle you'll hear them open. With PSE off, that happens around 5000 rpm. Once you know that sound, you should be able to experiment with your controller. Agree on the assessment above, OAP's livens it up but it is the same sound (a bit crude) just louder.

I really do love the sound of the car with the valves closed as well, even more now with the collar mod. As mentioned pages ago, with the PSE off now the sound builds really naturally to 5000.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:53 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwired
I have the Kline stainless and left the stock PSE function for quite some time before plugging the valves so they're open all the time. The difference wasn't a big as I'd thought it'd be.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:54 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 467 Posts

I installed my Kline exhaust late December. After install I drove it around the neighborhood a bit to make sure all was fine with the install buy that was it. The car has been in storage since. I'll be getting it out finally this end of week now that spring has officially arrived, we've had a few really good rains, road salt is mostly gone.... and I can finally get this thing broken in!! I bet I put a LOT of miles on the car this season!
The following 3 users liked this post by MrFunk:
BoxKing (04-10-2024), tigerhonaker (04-10-2024), UncleDude (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 01:10 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 499 Posts

Collar mod 95% open... that glorious sound comes on as soon as I touch the pedal. I often wonder why anyone would want to wait till 4K RPM - thats half the damn rev-range!
IMO, full open, all the time, even if you have no other aftermarket exhaust bolt-ons.

I will add this... anyone with the factory PSE + Kline willing to take the drive to me so I can hear the system without modifications is more than welcome The only thing I sorta regret was not hearing my setup without the mods. Maybe this was due to the putrid sound of the stock system w/ only PSE, which I changed within 12 hours after delivery (collar mod + OAPs).

On another note, the system has fully woken up after the track weekend. Guess the Headers needed some cycling to expose a more raw tone!
tigerhonaker (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 01:12 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Thumbs up

I installed my Kline exhaust late December. After install I drove it around the neighborhood a bit to make sure all was fine with the install buy that was it. The car has been in storage since. I'll be getting it out finally this end of week now that spring has officially arrived, we've had a few really good rains, road salt is mostly gone.... and I can finally get this thing broken in!! I bet I put a LOT of miles on the car this season!
MrFunk,

Well reads like it's time to start enjoying 2024.

Happy miles ahead buddy.

Terry
USA
MrFunk (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:05 PM
nitro805
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

I just installed my Kline over the weekend. I had a lot of trouble getting the muffler cross bar bolted back up after transferring it from the OEM muffler to the Kline. I basically had to hold the bar in place with a crowbar with my left hand while I bolted the factory bolts back up with my right. Hopefully I didn't do something wrong.

I used zip ties to hold the vacuum lines so they wouldn't be banging around. Is there a better, or more factory looking options, than just using zip ties?

It sounds great! Actually quieter than I was expecting.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust