Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 04:30 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by theEnd
For anyone who has a a Kline exhaust and a valve controller, how often do you use the valve controller? My installer thinks I won’t need one.

I got one when I had my Kline installed. Mine stays open about 90% of the time.

There are those times though when I am in more of a chill mode or when driving in the rain that I just want the quieter sound profile in the lower RPM's and for those times I am glad I spent the additional money to have that option available.

My GT4 is my primary car though, so if it was a weekend or second "fun" car, I would have left it off.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:03 PM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by theEnd
For anyone who has a a Kline exhaust and a valve controller, how often do you use the valve controller? My installer thinks I won’t need one.
Every time I drive. I have the soul valve controller. If you just want it it open, you can theoretically just zip tie open the valves.I have it installed so I can kind of revert back to stock in a sense. BTW if anyone wants a full stainless system my sister in law just got rid of her GT4 and has a full system available and ready to ship at a nice discount since it's used.

Last edited by ltfl09; 03-26-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts

Apologies for the newbie question, but does that mean the factory PSE button doesn't work with the Kline system?
Old 03-26-2024, 06:45 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Apologies for the newbie question, but does that mean the factory PSE button doesn't work with the Kline system?
The factory PSE integrates with the Kline system which comes with its own valves.

As far as controllers go… I was, and still am the biggest advocate for the collar mod @ 90-100 Open, though this might change for me in the future, if and when I start running tracks with decibel monitoring. Might be part of the Cargraphics controller crew to have the option to close the valves. It’s either that, or removing the collars during track prep, if said track has sound restrictions. Hopefully running the PSE “closed” lands the decibel readout around 92. Has anyone had experience with this at track?
Old 03-26-2024, 06:54 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo

The PSE Button is mis-leading and named incorrectly by Porsche.

All the PSE button does is open the EXHAUST VALVES when the car is at idle. Other than that the button has NO effect on the exhaust valves.

What is DOES do is control the Sound Symposer valve with pipes in the intake sound under throttle/load.

The PSE remains unaffected by the Kline install. I ALWAYS keep that button off now as it conflicts with the exhaust sounds. Having both that intake sound AND the exhaust sound isn't a good combo IMO, they just fight with one another and makes the cabin excessively loud and not in a good way.
The following users liked this post:
WarriorGT (05-03-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 07:01 PM
Frank1119
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Having both that intake sound AND the exhaust sound isn't a good combo IMO, they just fight with one another and makes the cabin excessively loud and not in a good way.
that’s an interesting take, was wondering if anyone is planning to do the Kline setup on the SRS.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:06 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank1119
that’s an interesting take, was wondering if anyone is planning to do the Kline setup on the SRS.

I don't think that is an Apple to Apple comparison. The Spyder has different cabin acoustics than the Cayman.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:12 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 100 Posts

What is DOES do is control the Sound Symposer valve with pipes in the intake sound under throttle/load.

The PSE remains unaffected by the Kline install. I ALWAYS keep that button off now as it conflicts with the exhaust sounds. Having both that intake sound AND the exhaust sound isn't a good combo IMO, they just fight with one another and makes the cabin excessively loud and not in a good way.
With my exhaust valves held open, I can't tell any difference in sound from the sound symposer with or without the PSE pressed.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:25 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
With my exhaust valves held open, I can't tell any difference in sound from the sound symposer with or without the PSE pressed.

I most certainly can.

You have to be on the throttle though aggressively and in the upper RPM range, as that is how the sound symposer works, it gets more aggressive with increased throttle application and higher RPM's.

Or your hearing is shot, lol
Old 03-26-2024, 08:29 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 100 Posts

I most certainly can.

You have to be on the throttle though aggressively and in the upper RPM range, as that is how the sound symposer works, it gets more aggressive with increased throttle application and higher RPM's.

Or your hearing is shot, lol
I'll try it in those RPM and throttle conditions and see if I can tell a difference. But my years in the infantry and around loud cars/bikes definitely didn't do anything good for my hearing either! 😆
Old 03-27-2024, 03:16 AM
604GT4
Cruisin'

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Just received my Kline exhaust system! Went with the SS and 200cell headers. Quality looks amazing! Can't wait to get it installed!

Thanks

Eric @ Supreme

If someone could chime in on the header install, is it ok to reuse the bolts?

The following 6 users liked this post by 604GT4:
BoxKing (03-27-2024), dnimi123 (03-28-2024), fasteddie99 (03-27-2024), MrFunk (03-27-2024), SupremePower (04-02-2024), UncleDude (03-27-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2024, 10:13 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 826 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
I can absolutely hear it. Even in lower RPM on throttle. The induction noise is significantly louder.

The PSE Button is mis-leading and named incorrectly by Porsche.

All the PSE button does is open the EXHAUST VALVES when the car is at idle. Other than that the button has NO effect on the exhaust valves.

I thought that pressing the PSE button (ON) has different mapping for the valves? Apart from holding the valves open at idle, I thought they also open the valves at lower RPM's vs when the system is off.
And I thought that even with the system OFF the valves still open when you're at WOT at certain RPMs?

Question: Even with a valve controller, if you close the valves, do they not automatically open at WOT at certain RPMs? Or do they hold them closed regardless? Would that not reduce performance quite a bit if they were held closed at WOT at high RPMs?
Old 03-27-2024, 10:52 AM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 224 Posts

I had a 718 Spyder with Kline that bought to Eric back in 2021; the car sounded really nice compared to stock. I left the valves fully open and had some resonance/drone around 2200/3000, so valves connected and collar mod helped to almost fix it.

However, around 5K to 6K with the roof down, it has such a deep sound that I didn't like, plus a backfire sometimes if you change around 5.5k rpm that made my car sound like a Civic with pop & bangs tune, lol. I mean, it was not a motorsport/flat 6 sound, only a regular deep sound between 5 to 6k rpm; after 6.5krpms, it sounds raspier, not so deep, more 981 to say something, and I liked it a lot.

I have a Spyder RS coming, and I heard only one video of a GT4 RS with the Kline Cat-back... for me it sounds the same as the regular Spyder/GT4, which is weird because the sound in both engines is so different (comparing it with my 992 GT3). I was thinking about going with Kline again, but it makes me doubt based on my appreciation. Has any user tried it in a GT4RS? It looks like the same rear muffler, and they only changed the connection to a different over-axle pipe.

Thank you!!

Last edited by Bill_76; 03-27-2024 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:44 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by 604GT4
Just received my Kline exhaust system! Went with the SS and 200cell headers. Quality looks amazing! Can't wait to get it installed!

Thanks

Eric @ Supreme

If someone could chime in on the header install, is it ok to reuse the bolts?

Hell FKN Yeah man, you're going to love it!!
Im running the same setup, and you can 100% reuse the stock nuts. The 718 GT4's come with studs in place on the engine block, so there is no longer the need to replace with fresh bolts, and or to do a stud conversion. I did pickup a spare set of nuts from J Gaydos with SOUL, but they were not used during my recent install.

I need to get a new set of tips to round out and complete my conversion.

Last edited by BoxKing; 03-27-2024 at 11:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BoxKing:
604GT4 (03-28-2024), SupremePower (04-02-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 12:35 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,361 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_76
I have a Spyder RS coming, and I heard only one video of a GT4 RS with the Kline Cat-back... for me it sounds the same as the regular Spyder/GT4, which is weird because the sound in both engines is so different (comparing it with my 992 GT3). I was thinking about going with Kline again, but it makes me doubt based on my appreciation. Has any user tried it in a GT4RS? It looks like the same rear muffler, and they only changed the connection to a different over-axle pipe.

Thank you!!
I don't know why your surprised the Kline on the RS sounds similar to the GT the exhaust routing is the same, it is never going to sound like a 911 with all the up and back and around that system does. I don't think exhaust mods on the RS are very common, so it seems, probably because the intake / in-cabin sounds dominate anyway.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust