Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 08:44 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by PAJ
I used my iPhone with case as a spacer between the collar and valve actuator thingy. Sorry I don't have a more exact response! I'm currently in a hotel room and do not have access to a measuring device.
Ok LOL, well you gotta use something!…. I am guessing you have them more open then than my mock up a few pages back. I might try to put mine on Sunday - I really miss it.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:05 PM
PAJ
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Ok LOL, well you gotta use something!…. I am guessing you have them more open then than my mock up a few pages back. I might try to put mine on Sunday - I really miss it.
Yes, I would say an additional 10-15 degrees of rotation from your 5mm spacing. Honestly, I probably wouldn't notice any difference if they were fully open all the time, LOL.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (07-08-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 10:26 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Hey BoxKing!

I ran just the Kline Inconel Exhaust + OAPs for a few months on my PDK GT4 last year. I liked that setup a lot with the GT4, next to zero drone or boominess, as everyone reports here. For a Cayman I think the Kline is the way to go. The Boxster/Spyder are less prone to drone/boominess than the Caymans, so other combinations work okay with those, as I have documented on my Exhaust thread, but I would only go Kline on a Cayman.

It was good on the GT4, but I felt it wasn't quite loud enough, so I did add headers later last year, along with the M-Engineering tune so I could turn off the Cold Start. (The Cold Start was pretty loud with the Headers. I only recommend that if you hate your neighbors and don't care if they hate you.)

I did Soul Street Headers. The only reason I didn't go Kline Inconel is because Eric (who is awesome!) didn't have them in stock, and the wait was 6-8 weeks. I didn't feel like waiting, and Soul had them in stock, and I caught them just before a price increase, they were a good deal.

Good lord! That full setup with the Tune was OUTRAGEOUS! In a good way, it was amazing. My 19 year old son, who is also into cars, said it was probably the best sounding exhaust he had ever heard in real life.

It is not for the meek. With valves open all the time, at full throttle and full RPM, it is very loud and can likely be heard for miles. It sounds so darn good, like a demon has been awakened from the depths of hell. If you like that sort of thing. If you light it up at full volume with law enforcement around, I predict a 90% chance of getting pulled over. (Knock on wood, no such issues so far for me.)

It is still very manageable from a Jeckyll and Hyde perspective, with the valves open all the time it isn't too loud with RPMs under 3800, and not on heavy throttle. So you can really manage it with what gear you are in and your throttle input. The beauty of that is that in lower RPMs and lower throttle levels it sounds really great like that still, unlike before the Headers - that is exactly where I felt that just the Kline Exhaust and OAPs were too tame, at lower RPMs and lower throttle. It really makes the car really fun to drive ALL THE TIME - even when you are just tooling around town and short shifting.

The increase in power of the OAPs and Tune was very significant. PDK Launch Control Launches became insanely fun! You could not help but laugh hysterically out loud, especially if someone else was with you. I only tracked it twice with this setup (because I bought a dedicated track car over the winter), but it felt faster, posted good lap times despite it being early in the season (with my technique being pretty rusty), and sounded amazing.

No CELs whatsoever for me, for the few months I ran it that way.

One nuance/minor issue that wasn't a showstopper for me - with the valves closed all the time, there was actually an increase in drone/boominess that is not at all there with just the Kline Exhaust and OAPs. That sort of makes sense, you have this significantly increased sound and airflow, and your are trying to bottle it up. I only used the valves closed when leaving the neighborhood early in the morning, or in the presence of law enforcement, or for some other reason wanting the outside to be as quiet as possible temporarily. Other than that I just left the valves open and kept it below 3800 RPMs and staying out of heavy throttle when trying not to be too loud. The interior sound was a little unpleasant in that Valves always closed configuration, whereas with just the Kline Exhaust and OAPs, it is not at all so, it is just very quiet, too much so for my tastes.

I plan to do that same full exhaust setup again with the incoming GT4 Manual. The upshifts with the PDF sounded epic with that setup, I look forward to hearing how an aggressive rev-matched downshift sounds with the Manual!

Ohhh, Im running the Inconel system (OAP+REAR + Full open PSE) for the last couple of months, and Im absolutely in love with this setup! I feel like the system hit the full break in period as of yesterday, bc the tone seems to have gotten even better over night. At this point, its not a matter of if I will be getting the headers/tune, its when - right now I plan to get them over the Fall/Winter months, but I said I wouldnt buy the Kline system until end of this year, and one email to Eric, and I had the box full of pipes the very next morning… so, I’ll most likely get them sooner given my track record!

Question: I have done all of my exhaust installs on my own. With this said, should I have any concern doing the headers as a DYI, or is this an install best left for an Indy shop? Price does play a roll in my decision, as I’d most likely hand these off to a shop if the price was around $300 for the install.
jimdillard (07-11-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 11:16 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 548 Posts

Those not using a VC are missing out IMO. Closed gives a great note too, but in a more sophisticated lower volume way. I have a tune, so controlled via the OE button to be open at all revs, or closed. When I want a more sleeper, less raucous drive, I run closed. It also allows you to hear the intake more.
The difference between open vs closed isn't as significant as OE in terms of volume, but closed certainly tones it down nicely whilst maintaining a great tone.
jimdillard (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 12:19 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Ohhh, Im running the Inconel system (OAP+REAR + Full open PSE) for the last couple of months, and Im absolutely in love with this setup! I feel like the system hit the full break in period as of yesterday, bc the tone seems to have gotten even better over night. At this point, its not a matter of if I will be getting the headers/tune, its when - right now I plan to get them over the Fall/Winter months, but I said I wouldnt buy the Kline system until end of this year, and one email to Eric, and I had the box full of pipes the very next morning… so, I’ll most likely get them sooner given my track record!

Question: I have done all of my exhaust installs on my own. With this said, should I have any concern doing the headers as a DYI, or is this an install best left for an Indy shop? Price does play a roll in my decision, as I’d most likely hand these off to a shop if the price was around $300 for the install.
I did my own headers and it took an afternoon with a Quick Jack. Make sure you pre-purchase the triple square socket set as it will be needed to remove the headers from the block.

Amazon Amazon

I have no idea what a shop may charge. However, the headers are totally worth it and give it both that wail and a faster swinging tach as well as a few hp I'm sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
BoxKing (07-08-2023), jimdillard (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 12:47 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I did my own headers and it took an afternoon with a Quick Jack. Make sure you pre-purchase the triple square socket set as it will be needed to remove the headers from the block.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no idea what a shop may charge. However, the headers are totally worth it and give it both that wail and a faster swinging tach as well as a few hp I'm sure.
My Shop did the headers for about $400. Yes the full Kline is amazing piece of work.
The following 2 users liked this post by dnimi123:
BoxKing (07-08-2023), jimdillard (07-08-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 01:30 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Really considering picking this up, but a bit hesitant to do any power related mods since the 6mt cars are torque limited cause this gearbox was initially designed for the 2.7/3.4 in the 981. I guess if you skipped headers the power gains will be marginal. Obviously looking longer term, but yeah....got some thinking to do.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:47 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justince
Really considering picking this up, but a bit hesitant to do any power related mods since the 6mt cars are torque limited cause this gearbox was initially designed for the 2.7/3.4 in the 981. I guess if you skipped headers the power gains will be marginal. Obviously looking longer term, but yeah....got some thinking to do.
That would be the thinnest of reasons not to do this upgrade. It is the best one you’ll do - promise.
mc3456 (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 02:32 AM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Has anyone heard both stainless and inconel versions of Kline’s exhaust and can comment on the sound difference?

aside from the weight loss, is the couple thousand dollar difference worth it?
Old 07-10-2023, 10:41 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

That would be the thinnest of reasons not to do this upgrade. It is the best one you’ll do - promise.
Is it really? I don't plan on keeping this car for a few years and passing it on. There's no long term data on this & a gearbox failure 30-40k miles down the road won't be fun.

If it were just the clutch or something I'd live with it, but given the 3rd gear fiasco with the 981 gt4 I'm worried that the actual box as a whole is already kind of at it's limit.

Last edited by justince; 07-10-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2023, 11:06 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 864 Likes on 458 Posts

I'm sure the 6MT can take plenty more power. The increased power from an exhaust is minimal too... Even with headers and tune I wouldn't loose a blink of sleep worrying the trans/clutch couldn't handle it.
As in anything else - you can easily fry an MT clutch or trans abusing it with OEM power too... be smart and it will last the life of the car (tuned or not).
$0.02
The following 2 users liked this post by MrFunk:
dmboone25 (07-10-2023), jimdillard (07-11-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 12:20 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Is it really? I don't plan on keeping this car for a few years and passing it on. There's no long term data on this & a gearbox failure 30-40k miles down the road won't be fun.

If it were just the clutch or something I'd live with it, but given the 3rd gear fiasco with the 981 gt4 I'm worried that the actual box as a whole is already kind of at it's limit.
It is IMO. If you think the manufacturer puts out a transmission that can't handle 1% more torque (or whatever minuscule amount it is) then yes I think that's looking for reasons not to get it (which is fine!). These things, IMO, have big time redundancies, that's what adds to the durability.
jimdillard (07-11-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 12:30 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 325 Likes on 185 Posts

I have the OAPs and rear section in inconel, and I would say that (for me, anyway), there wasn't a noticeable difference in the overall power of the Spyder after the install. Coming from BMW turbo land, where piggybacks really move the needle, changing out the exhaust didn't really register on the butt dyno.

This is for aural pleasure only, and the Kline system is definitely an upgrade on that front.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmboone25:
jimdillard (07-11-2023), justince (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 04:20 PM
PAJ
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dmboone25
I have the OAPs and rear section in inconel, and I would say that (for me, anyway), there wasn't a noticeable difference in the overall power of the Spyder after the install. Coming from BMW turbo land, where piggybacks really move the needle, changing out the exhaust didn't really register on the butt dyno.

This is for aural pleasure only, and the Kline system is definitely an upgrade on that front.
I would second this. I did not notice any gain in power after installing the stainless steel OAPs and rear section. That being said, I feel the system is well worth the cost!
The following 2 users liked this post by PAJ:
jimdillard (07-11-2023), justince (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 04:36 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 257 Posts

It is IMO. If you think the manufacturer puts out a transmission that can't handle 1% more torque (or whatever minuscule amount it is) then yes I think that's looking for reasons not to get it (which is fine!). These things, IMO, have big time redundancies, that's what adds to the durability.
The difference in added power between the Kline Inconel exhaust with Kline OAPs vs OEM exhaust is like the difference in power between filling up with 91 octane and 93 octane fuel! 🤣. Totally agree, worrying about the long-term impact to the transmission by changing the exhaust is VERY overblown. The variability in power between individual 4.0L engines coming off the assembly line is probably greater.

BTW...the Brewster Spyder looks smokin'. Great upgrade!
The following 3 users liked this post by mc3456:
jimdillard (07-11-2023), justince (07-10-2023), UncleDude (07-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust