Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 03:17 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_357
True that it’s a straight open path, but the resonator and muffler path still quiet it when valves full open. I had Soul comp OAPs and their Valved rear, which valves open was much louder than the Kline open. Kline has better tone still.

This system is likely the loudest without drone.
For sure, you could throw on a Soul non resonated race exhaust and it would be louder but it's not necessarily going to be better (this is not a knock on Soul btw). I have the SS version with heat shielding on the OAP's, it's louder than my stock 981 GT4 and that thing was pretty raucous from factory by modern standards. Infact its so loud I feel antisocial going WOT past cars with families in on the freeway.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:52 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Montaver
For sure, you could throw on a Soul non resonated race exhaust and it would be louder but it's not necessarily going to be better (this is not a knock on Soul btw). I have the SS version with heat shielding on the OAP's, it's louder than my stock 981 GT4 and that thing was pretty raucous from factory by modern standards. Infact its so loud I feel antisocial going WOT past cars with families in on the freeway.
The families I go by have the kids usually hanging out the window thumbs upping the car….and I give it a little throttle and they love it.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:17 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,386 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
The families I go by have the kids usually hanging out the window thumbs upping the car….and I give it a little throttle and they love it.
They do that when we honk the train horn on our delivery Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 too. Must be same kids! 😜 But we do it for personal satisfaction 😝

Happy 4th everyone!!

Last edited by SupremePower; 07-01-2023 at 09:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
flynlo (07-02-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 121 Posts

Hey all. Traded the Spyder in. My favorite mod, the Kline inconel system, is for sale. (It doesnt fit a GT4RS).

Used Kline Inconel Spyder/GT4/GTS Exhaust
The following 2 users liked this post by Visceral:
jimdillard (07-07-2023), Josh_357 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 04:04 PM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
Hey all. Traded the Spyder in. My favorite mod, the Kline inconel system, is for sale. (It doesnt fit a GT4RS).

Oof. I'll give you $20 to pull the listing and relist in Sept after I've had the car a month to ensure I want this.
Visceral (07-07-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 07:02 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Who has the KLINE headers paired up with their KLINE OAP+Rear?
Who has another brand of headers paired with KLINE OAP+Rear?

Thoughts on the above: volume/tone, increased power, possible engine codes…?
Hey BoxKing!

I ran just the Kline Inconel Exhaust + OAPs for a few months on my PDK GT4 last year. I liked that setup a lot with the GT4, next to zero drone or boominess, as everyone reports here. For a Cayman I think the Kline is the way to go. The Boxster/Spyder are less prone to drone/boominess than the Caymans, so other combinations work okay with those, as I have documented on my Exhaust thread, but I would only go Kline on a Cayman.

It was good on the GT4, but I felt it wasn't quite loud enough, so I did add headers later last year, along with the M-Engineering tune so I could turn off the Cold Start. (The Cold Start was pretty loud with the Headers. I only recommend that if you hate your neighbors and don't care if they hate you.)

I did Soul Street Headers. The only reason I didn't go Kline Inconel is because Eric (who is awesome!) didn't have them in stock, and the wait was 6-8 weeks. I didn't feel like waiting, and Soul had them in stock, and I caught them just before a price increase, they were a good deal.

Good lord! That full setup with the Tune was OUTRAGEOUS! In a good way, it was amazing. My 19 year old son, who is also into cars, said it was probably the best sounding exhaust he had ever heard in real life.

It is not for the meek. With valves open all the time, at full throttle and full RPM, it is very loud and can likely be heard for miles. It sounds so darn good, like a demon has been awakened from the depths of hell. If you like that sort of thing. If you light it up at full volume with law enforcement around, I predict a 90% chance of getting pulled over. (Knock on wood, no such issues so far for me.)

It is still very manageable from a Jeckyll and Hyde perspective, with the valves open all the time it isn't too loud with RPMs under 3800, and not on heavy throttle. So you can really manage it with what gear you are in and your throttle input. The beauty of that is that in lower RPMs and lower throttle levels it sounds really great like that still, unlike before the Headers - that is exactly where I felt that just the Kline Exhaust and OAPs were too tame, at lower RPMs and lower throttle. It really makes the car really fun to drive ALL THE TIME - even when you are just tooling around town and short shifting.

The increase in power of the OAPs and Tune was very significant. PDK Launch Control Launches became insanely fun! You could not help but laugh hysterically out loud, especially if someone else was with you. I only tracked it twice with this setup (because I bought a dedicated track car over the winter), but it felt faster, posted good lap times despite it being early in the season (with my technique being pretty rusty), and sounded amazing.

No CELs whatsoever for me, for the few months I ran it that way.

One nuance/minor issue that wasn't a showstopper for me - with the valves closed all the time, there was actually an increase in drone/boominess that is not at all there with just the Kline Exhaust and OAPs. That sort of makes sense, you have this significantly increased sound and airflow, and your are trying to bottle it up. I only used the valves closed when leaving the neighborhood early in the morning, or in the presence of law enforcement, or for some other reason wanting the outside to be as quiet as possible temporarily. Other than that I just left the valves open and kept it below 3800 RPMs and staying out of heavy throttle when trying not to be too loud. The interior sound was a little unpleasant in that Valves always closed configuration, whereas with just the Kline Exhaust and OAPs, it is not at all so, it is just very quiet, too much so for my tastes.

I plan to do that same full exhaust setup again with the incoming GT4 Manual. The upshifts with the PDF sounded epic with that setup, I look forward to hearing how an aggressive rev-matched downshift sounds with the Manual!
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
BoxKing (07-07-2023), SupremePower (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 08:21 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Hey BoxKing!

I ran just the Kline Inconel Exhaust + OAPs for a few months on my PDK GT4 last year. I liked that setup a lot with the GT4, next to zero drone or boominess, as everyone reports here. For a Cayman I think the Kline is the way to go. The Boxster/Spyder are less prone to drone/boominess than the Caymans, so other combinations work okay with those, as I have documented on my Exhaust thread, but I would only go Kline on a Cayman.

It was good on the GT4, but I felt it wasn't quite loud enough, so I did add headers later last year, along with the M-Engineering tune so I could turn off the Cold Start. (The Cold Start was pretty loud with the Headers. I only recommend that if you hate your neighbors and don't care if they hate you.)

I did Soul Street Headers. The only reason I didn't go Kline Inconel is because Eric (who is awesome!) didn't have them in stock, and the wait was 6-8 weeks. I didn't feel like waiting, and Soul had them in stock, and I caught them just before a price increase, they were a good deal.

Good lord! That full setup with the Tune was OUTRAGEOUS! In a good way, it was amazing. My 19 year old son, who is also into cars, said it was probably the best sounding exhaust he had ever heard in real life.

It is not for the meek. With valves open all the time, at full throttle and full RPM, it is very loud and can likely be heard for miles. It sounds so darn good, like a demon has been awakened from the depths of hell. If you like that sort of thing. If you light it up at full volume with law enforcement around, I predict a 90% chance of getting pulled over. (Knock on wood, no such issues so far for me.)

It is still very manageable from a Jeckyll and Hyde perspective, with the valves open all the time it isn't too loud with RPMs under 3800, and not on heavy throttle. So you can really manage it with what gear you are in and your throttle input. The beauty of that is that in lower RPMs and lower throttle levels it sounds really great like that still, unlike before the Headers - that is exactly where I felt that just the Kline Exhaust and OAPs were too tame, at lower RPMs and lower throttle. It really makes the car really fun to drive ALL THE TIME - even when you are just tooling around town and short shifting.

The increase in power of the OAPs and Tune was very significant. PDK Launch Control Launches became insanely fun! You could not help but laugh hysterically out loud, especially if someone else was with you. I only tracked it twice with this setup (because I bought a dedicated track car over the winter), but it felt faster, posted good lap times despite it being early in the season (with my technique being pretty rusty), and sounded amazing.

No CELs whatsoever for me, for the few months I ran it that way.

One nuance/minor issue that wasn't a showstopper for me - with the valves closed all the time, there was actually an increase in drone/boominess that is not at all there with just the Kline Exhaust and OAPs. That sort of makes sense, you have this significantly increased sound and airflow, and your are trying to bottle it up. I only used the valves closed when leaving the neighborhood early in the morning, or in the presence of law enforcement, or for some other reason wanting the outside to be as quiet as possible temporarily. Other than that I just left the valves open and kept it below 3800 RPMs and staying out of heavy throttle when trying not to be too loud. The interior sound was a little unpleasant in that Valves always closed configuration, whereas with just the Kline Exhaust and OAPs, it is not at all so, it is just very quiet, too much so for my tastes.

I plan to do that same full exhaust setup again with the incoming GT4 Manual. The upshifts with the PDF sounded epic with that setup, I look forward to hearing how an aggressive rev-matched downshift sounds with the Manual!
Everything he said. I have the Spyder in a manual with the full Kline inconel including 200 cell headers. I got a couple CELs as apparently I had an early version of the headers. Kline sent me some spacers to eliminate the issue but they went away on their own so I never installed the spacers. M Engineering also said they could tune them out but I never needed to update the tune either.

Best mod so far. Car sounds sick and with The tune or a flapper controller you can decide if you want your exhaust open or closed. Absolutely zero drone (and I'm pretty sensitive to drone) but I do have the Spyder and not the Cayman.
SupremePower (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 08:28 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Has anyone unbiased actually heard both the SS/Inconel in person? I know it's something that has been brought up several times...
Old 07-06-2023, 08:45 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,208 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
Has anyone unbiased actually heard both the SS/Inconel in person? I know it's something that has been brought up several times...
@RoadrunnerGTS has heard them back to back and reported no difference. Confirmation bias is strong though (in either camp)!, and for my own dollars I didn't think the extra price (which is not a small amount) was worth it for the goals I had in mind. You can't go wrong! If you can afford it just get the inconel, *if* you think you'll always wonder. I have never wondered because the stainless sounds amazing to my ear.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:08 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,081 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
@RoadrunnerGTS has heard them back to back and reported no difference. Confirmation bias is strong though (in either camp)!, and for my own dollars I didn't think the extra price (which is not a small amount) was worth it for the goals I had in mind. You can't go wrong! If you can afford it just get the inconel, *if* you think you'll always wonder. I have never wondered because the stainless sounds amazing to my ear.
My hearing is messed from decades of motorcycles, so don't take my word for it
My point was that I can't tell any difference back to back, nor could I tell any difference of my shielded OAP vs the other car's unshielded. If you got the $ and weight reduction over OE is important, then just go inconel and you won't die wondering
UncleDude (07-06-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 12:40 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral

Your asking price for your Kline system please?

Jim

Disregard. Saw your ad link. Sorry for the confusion. My bad!!

@Visceral - Please see your e-mail inbox.

Last edited by jimdillard; 07-07-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Visceral (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 06:52 PM
PAJ
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

As has been mentioned by so many on this thread, exhaust tone/volume/drone can be experienced quite differently depending on the person. With that being said, I will chime in with my take on the Kline OAP + back box in Stainless Steel. I had my system installed two days ago on my 2023 Spyder that had just under 2000 miles on it when the exhaust was installed. It is also important to note that I installed collars on the valve stems prior to installation. I would guess my valves are closing around 60% at most (40% open). My OAPs were heat-shielded by Kline before getting sent to me.

I am amazed at the difference the Kline system makes! To me, every driving situation sounds much, much better than stock. I watched all the videos I could find on the Kline system before purchase (both Inconel and SS), and none of them prepared me for what my real-world experience would be. I find it glorious! Importantly, I find the sound of the exhaust fits the car! I previously had a 981 Boxster GTS and while I thought the sound of that car was awesome, I felt it had considerably more bark than bite. That car sounded like it was ripping along at 125 mph on the way to 150 when I was really going 35 mph on the way to 50. This Kline system on the Spyder sounds fantastic, but it also sounds like it is perfectly matched to the car. I have not noticed any drone, but I have only driven with top down and only intend to drive with the top down. 

Personally, at this time, I do not want any more volume out of this system. As I get acclimated to the exhaust, maybe my mind will change, but right now I do not believe this will happen. My current thinking is that I am more likely to get a valve controller or tune to allow the valves to fully close than I am to add headers for more volume.

My thoughts on Inconel vs SS? I really don't know. I haven't heard the Inconel system. I certainly don't feel I am missing out on anything; I am just really satisfied with the SS system.

Finally, I purchased the system through Eric at SupremePower. He was patient in answering my questions, responsive, and everything happened as he said it would. Very satisfied with the entire process!
The following 5 users liked this post by PAJ:
BoxKing (07-07-2023), jimdillard (07-07-2023), Josh_357 (07-07-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (07-07-2023), UncleDude (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 08:10 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,208 Posts

Another satisfied customer! Exhaust - done, next! Where did you put the collars?
Old 07-07-2023, 08:10 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
I did and noticed a slightly higher, more metallic tone on the inconel. Nothing earth shattering though. I went with iconel more for weight savings and because I thought it was cool. SS is just about as good and a good option if the $3k or makes a difference.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:37 PM
PAJ
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Another satisfied customer! Exhaust - done, next! Where did you put the collars?
I used my iPhone with case as a spacer between the collar and valve actuator thingy. Sorry I don't have a more exact response! I'm currently in a hotel room and do not have access to a measuring device.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust