Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 08:30 AM
sefon10
5th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brandobot
how abrupt is the sound when the valves go from closed to open?
I can't say as I've got the Softronic tune which allows me to keep the valves always open or always closed using the PSE button.
With the stock exhaust and before the tune the change in sound was quite abrupt and very annoying. I would expect it would be even more noticeable with the Kline.
The following users liked this post:
brandobot (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:46 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Soul Performance
While sound is a subjective topic and we have a ton of very happy customers running our rear systems, I do appreciate the feedback. As a matter of fact, that goes the same for a lot of you in this thread. I've been keeping an eye on it the last few months, specifically on the feedback you guys have been providing on our products and a lot of it very positive (thank you for that!). That said, If the general consensus in this thread is that it would be worth a revisit to our muffler replacements for further reduction in cabin presence under various driving conditions, I'm certainly not against considering putting it on our schedule. All it took was a suggestion from a fellow in our development thread the other week to create a whole new product. That one was easy enough to tackle, this would be more time consuming. If you guys feel it would be worth it to provide you with what you feel would be a better product, I'd love to have more in depth feedback from those of you with seat time to determine some target goals. We appreciate all of you guys as an active sponsor on here and want to provide you with the best product we can developed and built in Pennsylvania. In respect to the thread topic I'll be sure to limit further communication in here, though please feel free to chime in on our development thread, shoot me a PM/email or call me any time at 4848836197. You guys are our most valued resource, we'd love to hear from you

Regards,
John Gaydos
John Gaydos,

As you already know since you sold me the SOUL products I have.
SOUL, OAP with Ceramic coating, SOUL Symposer Delete, SOUL rear muffler assembly and I also have the Cargraphics valve-controller per my tech's choice.

Just as hopefully useful information .................
I have over 7,000 miles on my Porsche Cayman 718 2021 GT4.

My thoughts and just so you know others on Rennlist that have talked with me in (Private).

The SOUL OAP in whatever configuration one chooses sounds GREAT/AWESOME if running with valves open or closed and really at all useful RPM ranges.
Where the Real-World issue come's in is when you add the SOUL, rear valved muffler assembly with or without a Valve-Controller.
If the owner like myself has the Porsche PDK 7-Speed auto ???
And if that person chooses to run his in Full Automatic Mode ???
With both windows CLOSED ???
Especially in say, Stop & Go City traffic.
I can tell you at lower RPM as it's getting ready to shift the Resonance, Roar, just as it's getting ready to Shift at those RPMS is Sir, (Beyond-Bearable-Pathetic).
I have elected to keep my SOUL exhaust components as I simply have now thousands of miles in all different driving conditions over time.
My solution once I made up my mind I HOPED I could figure out someway to adjust my driving style to retain All my SOUL exhaust components ???
And the actual "Matter-of-Fact-Reason" I said the above ^^^ is under POWER and at the HIGHER RPM mine sounds to all Listeners very closely to the Porsche GT3 for a FACT.
My solution John Gaydos ..................
I either use the Shift-Paddles or the Shifter in Full-Manual-Mode and I keep the above mentioned RACKET to an ACCEPTABLE noise-level.
It does take a lot and I do mean in my case a Heck-of-a-Lot of PRACTICE which means LOTS & Lots of miles in all different Driving-Conditions.

So, John I did see you said above in your Post you didn't wish to further discuss this further on this Thread.
But .......................
I feel like as a service to you, Sir this is where I should come forward and say what I have.

Lastly, and this is certainly just me saying what I think from the Rennlist members that have talked with me in (Private).
I think SOUL could easily sale a heck of a lot more of the {Rear Valved Muffler Assemblies} if you guys in SOUL/Design address the Dreaded Resonance, Drone, Roaring etc. with a New Improved System.
I also think we have talked enough times that you know I am NOT a Smart-*** !!!
Hopefully with me bringing to the FOREFRONT and to your ATTENTION the Real-World-Situation a Redesign might very well bring you a NOTICEABLE increase in sales.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-16-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:11 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,416 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by sefon10
I've been running the Kline inconel oap + backbox for a month now in my GTS 4.0 and it is simply amazing. With the valves closed the sound is really good and the volume is perfect for driving in my quiet neighbourhood. With the valves opened the sound is godlike. It even passed the wife test so it's a keeper!

Bought it from Eric @SupremePower, highly recommended!
Thank you so much for the kind words!

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Agree…. Im currently fighting the urge to order the Kline Headers to go with my system, and part of the enjoyment is the order process. Eric gets equally excited when you pull the trigger on a exhaust solution (regardless to whether or not I listened to his suggestions the first time!). I’ve had several lengthy conversations with him (email/text/phone), and its clear how passionate he is about the business.
Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Highly recommend buying from eric @SupremePower - he is amazing to work with. I almost want to buy another car just so I can throw more money at him - HE'S THAT GOOD!
HA! Thank you man!!

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 06-16-2023, 07:38 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
John Gaydos,

As you already know since you sold me the SOUL products I have.
SOUL, OAP with Ceramic coating, SOUL Symposer Delete, SOUL rear muffler assembly and I also have the Cargraphics valve-controller per my tech's choice.

Just as hopefully useful information .................
I have over 7,000 miles on my Porsche Cayman 718 2021 GT4.

My thoughts and just so you know others on Rennlist that have talked with me in (Private).

The SOUL OAP in whatever configuration one chooses sounds GREAT/AWESOME if running with valves open or closed and really at all useful RPM ranges.
Where the Real-World issue come's in is when you add the SOUL, rear valved muffler assembly with or without a Valve-Controller.
If the owner like myself has the Porsche PDK 7-Speed auto ???
And if that person chooses to run his in Full Automatic Mode ???
With both windows CLOSED ???
Especially in say, Stop & Go City traffic.
I can tell you at lower RPM as it's getting ready to shift the Resonance, Roar, just as it's getting ready to Shift at those RPMS is Sir, (Beyond-Bearable-Pathetic).
I have elected to keep my SOUL exhaust components as I simply have now thousands of miles in all different driving conditions over time.
My solution once I made up my mind I HOPED I could figure out someway to adjust my driving style to retain All my SOUL exhaust components ???
And the actual "Matter-of-Fact-Reason" I said the above ^^^ is under POWER and at the HIGHER RPM mine sounds to all Listeners very closely to the Porsche GT3 for a FACT.
My solution John Gaydos ..................
I either use the Shift-Paddles or the Shifter in Full-Manual-Mode and I keep the above mentioned RACKET to an ACCEPTABLE noise-level.
It does take a lot and I do mean in my case a Heck-of-a-Lot of PRACTICE which means LOTS & Lots of miles in all different Driving-Conditions.

So, John I did see you said above in your Post you didn't wish to further discuss this further on this Thread.
But .......................
I feel like as a service to you, Sir this is where I should come forward and say what I have.

Lastly, and this is certainly just me saying what I think from the Rennlist members that have talked with me in (Private).
I think SOUL could easily sale a heck of a lot more of the {Rear Valved Muffler Assemblies} if you guys in SOUL/Design address the Dreaded Resonance, Drone, Roaring etc. with a New Improved System.
I also think we have talked enough times that you know I am NOT a Smart-*** !!!
Hopefully with me bringing to the FOREFRONT and to your ATTENTION the Real-World-Situation a Redesign might very well bring you a NOTICEABLE increase in sales.

Terry
Knowing drone and resonance tolerance is completely subjective, question for Terry.....did you listen to exhausts in a GT4 before you plunked down the cash and went with Soul? Just curious. I think that step is IMPERITIVE if you want to minimize the chances of buying a system that may not work for you.
I have the Soul Resonated OAP with stock back box (bought lightly used) and I LOVE it. Some owners love the Soul system and some don't, just like with most things. IF you didn't listen to the system before you bought it, that's kinda on you I think.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:45 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,497 Likes on 2,253 Posts

The Kline system is pretty much a no compromise system. I would never do what Terry describes above, and that is the reason a lot of landed here. If Soul can re-design their system and compete on the Kline quality, cost and performance then the community will be better served.
SupremePower (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 08:59 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

+1 to what Terry says about Soul exhaust drone. It is ear bleeding drone to the point I either have to wear ear plugs or down shift into a higher gear to stay out of the 2200-3000 rpm range. There’s nothing enjoyable about your ear ringing at the end of a drive.

At this point, the Soul exhaust to me is junk metal and it’s really made me hate driving my car. As soon as my Kline comes in, this exhaust is getting replaced

Last edited by brandobot; 06-16-2023 at 09:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by brandobot:
dnimi123 (06-20-2023), SupremePower (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 09:01 PM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
The Kline system is pretty much a no compromise system. I would never do what Terry describes above, and that is the reason a lot of landed here. If Soul can re-design their system and compete on the Kline quality, cost and performance then the community will be better served.
+1
SupremePower (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 10:04 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

I love the Kline on my Spyder, and I LOVE the SOUL on my 981 Cayman S...both great systems as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:00 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
Knowing drone and resonance tolerance is completely subjective, question for Terry.....did you listen to exhausts in a GT4 before you plunked down the cash and went with Soul? Just curious. I think that step is IMPERITIVE if you want to minimize the chances of buying a system that may not work for you.
I have the Soul Resonated OAP with stock back box (bought lightly used) and I LOVE it. Some owners love the Soul system and some don't, just like with most things. IF you didn't listen to the system before you bought it, that's kinda on you I think.
Big Belly 711,

It's possible that even given it my best shot at saying what I think as well as others regarding the SOUL with the rear valved muffler I apparently didn't do it well enough.

I was and am NOT complaining about any of my SOUL exhaust components.

I attempted to give John Gaydos some Real-World, 100% Honest feedback.

I offer my apology to you that it seems to you I'm complaining about the SOUL exhaust components, I'm (DEFINITELY) not !!!

Terry
Old 06-17-2023, 01:35 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey no worries at all Terry, I guess I misunderstood when you said 'beyond bearable and pathetic'......I know your heart is in the right place!
Have a good weekend!

Old 06-17-2023, 03:15 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
Hey no worries at all Terry, I guess I misunderstood when you said 'beyond bearable and pathetic'......I know your heart is in the right place!
Have a good weekend!
Big Belly 711,

Sir, I did say, 'beyond bearable and pathetic' and to be Really-really honest it's actually worse than that.

I'm once again referring to the RPM around the 2,200 to I think 3,000 RPM where the PDK would shift in traffic situations on Full Automatic.

What I didn't say and still not going to is to provide the Rennlist.com members names that reached out to me in discussing that very issue, it's BEYOND pathetic.

As I said, I made up my mind I was going to give myself as much time as necessary to see if I could figure someway to get around that issue.
I did, by using either the "Paddle-Shifters" or "Full-Manual-Mode" with the shifter.
IMHO, I just don't think many members were or are willing to do what I have to retain the SOUL, OAP & SOUL rear-valved-muffler assembly with or without the SOUL exhaust Symposer.
In-Fact, just as conversation, many members simply sold the SOUL and went to KLINE and after doing so are 100% Happy.
I could have done the same-thing but being a Die-Hard car, lunatic and LOVING the way my GT4 W/PDK sounds under Full-Power and especially at High RPM I'm keeping what I have.
I actually thought a long time before I did the initial post to John Gaydos but I simply figured how in the world is he suppose to know what's really going on if No-One comes forward and says.
I've been doing this sort of thing since my last Tour in Cu-Chi, Vietnam in the mid 60's.
There's not much I haven't owned over all the years gone by.
And what I do know if you don't bring something to a Business like SOUL Performance attention then don't expect anything to change.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-17-2023 at 03:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
jimdillard (06-17-2023), lowbee (06-17-2023), UncleDude (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 04:09 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 541 Likes on 244 Posts

My experience:

Back in June 2021 I got my new 718 Spyder, I asked the dealer to plug the hose valves so I left the dealer with the valves fully open. The amount of sound was not bad, but the quality ....omg (artificial). At first my wife said maybe you compare it with your 991.2 GT3 that I had at the same time....but as soon as she took a ride with me she agreed the sound was garbage... so after 400 miles I installed Soul valved back muffler leaving stock OAPs and always leaving the valves fully open, it was a big improvement in quality, night and day.
However after 1,500 miles I want it louder so I decided to change the stock OAPs, as I knew an Overaxle pipe without a small muffler will get uncomfortable between 2200/2800rpm so I asked Soul the option to make a muffled OAP, but they said it was not in the plan (nowadays you have the option). I sold the Soul valved muffler to a friend, he installed it with a regular soul OAP and I bought the SS Kline system leaving stock headers and always with valves fully open.
Results: Kline sounds so great and still with the valves fully open you can drive without roof and between 2.2k/2.8k it is still pleasant. With the roof up (I drove it 3 times since 2021 with the roof lol) the exhaust does not bother at all at any rpm.
My friends car after soul regular OAP + my ex Soul valved muffler: For me a disaster, not only drone/big resonance at 2.2/2.8k rpms, sound quality is really bad, does not fit the car, so deep, sound like a civic with a loud muffler, not a Porsche sound. With only the Soul rear muffler it sounded nice, but as soon as you add OAP...you lost this nice tone.
I used Soul before and maybe will use it again, but for this engine they didn't get a good system based on my sound taste.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bill_76:
RoadrunnerGTS (06-17-2023), SupremePower (06-17-2023), UncleDude (06-17-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 10:08 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 49 Posts

My SS Kline catback was delivered today and I'm super excited to get it installed - thanks Eric@@SupremePower ! I did not option heat shielding on the OAPs per my discussion with Eric a few weeks back, but have since been thinking that it would be "nice to have." I ordered some sheets of aluminum heat shielding and stainless straps, but just remembered that stainless and aluminum are corrosive when paired together. I'm not sure if this is a material concern given it'll be a relatively loose wrap around the exhaust with the stainless straps securing it. Thoughts on whether this may end up being a problem and I should avoid this DIY mod? Nothing has been done, so no harm, no foul if I ended up aborting this idea...

Old 06-20-2023, 10:28 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,416 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by Reno 911
My SS Kline catback was delivered today and I'm super excited to get it installed - thanks Eric@@SupremePower ! I did not option heat shielding on the OAPs per my discussion with Eric a few weeks back, but have since been thinking that it would be "nice to have." I ordered some sheets of aluminum heat shielding and stainless straps, but just remembered that stainless and aluminum are corrosive when paired together. I'm not sure if this is a material concern given it'll be a relatively loose wrap around the exhaust with the stainless straps securing it. Thoughts on whether this may end up being a problem and I should avoid this DIY mod? Nothing has been done, so no harm, no foul if I ended up aborting this idea...

If you want to swap non-shielded oap for shielded oap before installing we can order a shielded oap and keep yours in stock instead instead. Just let us know
Reno 911 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 10:35 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Reno 911
My 2c, get them JetHot coated (or similar). I wouldn't DIY wrap. You don't want moisture to sit in-between.

Else take Eric up on his offer.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
flynlo (06-29-2023), Reno 911 (06-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust