Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 04:52 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I imagine the issue is not whether it will stick to the PPF, but whether the adhesive on the PPF is strong enough to stay attached to the car with the additional weight of the plate and bracket. No way to find out without trying.
My plate has been attached to the front of my GTS for 2+ years now using the OEM Porsche plate mount attached to T-nuts held in place with 3M trim tape. This is on top of XPEL PPF. No holes in the bumper.
The only issue for some is that it's not easily removable for the clean front end. Others have gotten around this by using Neodymium magnets bonded inside the bumper fascia and Porsche plate mount.
MOO & FWIW

Last edited by CaymanMatt; 03-08-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:41 PM
flytosail
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Does the GTS 4.0 have the front “third” radiator?
Old 03-08-2021, 11:21 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123

Those looking for a cheap, easy and not bad looking front license plate option... Yes thats a piece of black weather strip tape! Go ahead say what you will but its a better spot than on the bumper and its better than the Carbino thingy... Its firmly mounted in place with the upper edge pressed into the inside crease of the grill and help with some more tape. Have driven on freeway and at high speeds with no movement.
Two weeks and several hundred miles and a few washes and my weather strip thingy working great!
The following users liked this post:
j lok (04-26-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Two weeks and several hundred miles and a few washes and my weather strip thingy working great!
For me, this is the cleanest, most unobtrusive way of attaching a front plate. You can position it nice and low as well.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-11-2021, 10:41 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 773 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
For those who can be patient, watch this space for my front plate mount solution. I think I’m on to something.
It’s a simple, no Drill solution, and really inexpensive, yet (I believe) fairly easy to implement.
I am almost finished with it, but I have to pause for a week or so to visit my brother in Fla La Land...
I should have it wrapped up by the end of the month, so stay tuned 👍

Here is my solution:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17288281
Old 04-14-2021, 06:49 PM
juicedus
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DP8
Appreciate all the great info in this thread. Question for those with the Craig's custom mustang bracket. Their website says not recommended to be installed over clear bra material. Do you have PPF on your front bumper and does the 3M tape work well or do you have no PPF on your front bumper? I have PPF but I am tempted to try it anyways but figured I would ask first. Thanks in advance!
Did you give this a try yet? I'm debating on doing the same thing. Considering it was designed for a mustang, and looking at the photo from the vendor, it doesn’t appear there is much PPF surface area and it's right at the edge/seam of the PPF which gives it a high likelihood to pull off or delaminate the PPF. I don’t believe the risk is the same on the GT4/Spyder considering how much surface area there is and how far back the PPF seam will be.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:32 PM
DP8
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn't end up getting the Craig's custom bracket. I've been going no front plate and leaning towards the US Millworks one just to get for inspections and temporary use.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:31 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by DP8
I didn't end up getting the Craig's custom bracket. I've been going no front plate and leaning towards the US Millworks one just to get for inspections and temporary use.
I have the US Millworks bracket and really like it. One recommendation is that you get the quick release option. It makes removing the plate much easier. Without it you have to take the license plate off and loosen the allen nuts each time you want to remove it. I didn't purchase the quick release with the bracket but added it later. Makes going from front plate to toe hook much quicker.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:20 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,267 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Virginia passed a law in 2020 that Police can no longer stop you for things such as no front plate, tinted windows, loud exhaust or any other equipment issue as a primary reason for pulling you over. Now, they can still ding you for no front plate if you are speeding, as the speed is the primary violation.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...202+sum+SB5029
Old 04-15-2021, 04:47 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Virginia passed a law in 2020 that Police can no longer stop you for things such as no front plate, tinted windows, loud exhaust or any other equipment issue as a primary reason for pulling you over. Now, they can still ding you for no front plate if you are speeding, as the speed is the primary violation.

I wish CA would do something like this. To take it a step further, if CA and other states are going to require front plates, I wish they would offer options in terms of smaller sizes of front plates. Many times, it's not that we're trying to skirt the law by not installing a front plate, it's just that the large front plate looks hideous on the front end of many sport cars that aren't really designed to accommodate a large front, aesthetically. I wish they would just make a small rectangular front plate. I think more people would be willing to install them if they were smaller.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:44 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Thank you for sharing this link.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:54 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 551 Posts

Doesn't Virginia has some really harsh penalties for speeding? Like loss of license for 10mph over or something like that??? I read a story where a guy from out of state was driving in Virginia and got pulled over for 20 mph (?) over. This was considered reckless driving and as such he got his license suspended in his home state, even though in his home state, it would have been a simple ticket. Obviously somebody is making money off of Virgina's harshest in the country speeding laws.

Last edited by VVG; 04-16-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:49 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,267 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Doesn't Virginia has some really harsh penalties for speeding? Like loss of license for 10mph over or something like that??? I read a story where a guy from out of state was driving in Virginia and got pulled over for 20 mph (?) over. This was considered reckless driving and as such he got his license suspended in his home state, even though in his home state, it would have been a simple ticket. Obviously somebody is making money off of Virgina's harshest in the country speeding laws.
Yes. Reckless Driving if speed is 20 mph + over the speed limit OR 80 mph + regardless of the posted speed limit. And here's the problem, it's no longer a traffic violation and is heard in criminal court, not traffic court. It is classified as a Misdemeanor with up to a $ 2,500 fine, a year in jail and up to 6 months suspension of your D/L. Having lived in Virginia since 1986, you want to be really nice to the cop and polite, and ask him to write you for 1 mph under Reckless if you get tapped. If you're not a jerk, most of them will then write it at 19 mph over and you have a simple speeding ticket.

If you still get a Reckless, then you lawyer up (about $ 1,000) and your lawyer can usually plea bargain the case with the local DA to "Improper Driving" and you avoid the criminal offense on your record, get 4 points and pay appx a $ 250 fine.

Jason Werth, Washington Nationals baseball player, got popped for Reckless driving his GT3 RS on an entrance ramp onto I-495 (Georgetown Pike) at 105 mph and was put in jail for 5 days (he did it on the weekends and reportedly got the rock star treatment in jail) and a 30 day driver's license suspension in 2015. So yes, its very real in Virginia and if you are out of state you don't ignore those, hire a lawyer and get it taken care of. Most the time you have to appear in court, too. If out of state, keep that in mind when traveling through the state.

Last edited by drcollie; 04-16-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:55 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
With the risk of being flamed, I think the the whole "speeding in Virginia" thing is over hyped. I have lived in Virginia most of my life, having most recently returned to the state over 30 years ago (granted I do not live in NoVA). During that entire time I have had a Valentine One in all my cars and motorcycles, and currently have four units mounted in four of them. In those 30 years, I have been stopped for speeding but have never been stopped for the radar detecters, nor have I received a citation for having one. My wife and I both own and drive fast cars which we drive spiritedly. With that said, we both have perfect driving records with bonus points on them. I do not feel that Virginia is any more draconian in their traffic enforcement than any other state. In fact, when I had my house in South Florida, I felt more at risk of receiving a speeding ticket there than I do in Virginia. With that said, several of our cars will be positively affected by the new primary offense law.

I do agree with drcollie that you should be polite to the police officer and that will go along way to reducing the negative consequences of the stop.

Last edited by Last_935; 04-16-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:08 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Last_935
With the risk of being flamed, I think the the whole "speeding in Virginia" thing is over hyped. I have lived in Virginia most of my life, having most recently returned to the state over 30 years ago (granted I do not live in NoVA). During that entire time I have had a Valentine One in all my cars and motorcycles, and currently have four units mounted in four of them. In those 30 years, I have been stopped for speeding but have never been stopped for the radar detecters, nor have I received a citation for having one. My wife and I both own and drive fast cars which we drive spiritedly. With that said, we both have perfect driving records with bonus points on them. I do not feel that Virginia is any more draconian in their traffic enforcement than any other state. In fact, when I had my house in South Florida, I felt more at risk of receiving a speeding ticket there than I do in Virginia. With that said, several of our cars will be positively affected by the new primary offense law.

I do agree with drcollie that you should be polite to the police officer and that will go along way to reducing the negative consequences of the stop.
So whose political butt is being kissed to say that over 80mph is reckless driving and should be heard in a criminal court? This is quite draconian, no? In what way, shape for form, is it reckless to be driving 80mph when the speed limit is 70?

Last edited by VVG; 04-16-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Options