Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 03:27 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbonio
Correct we are now offering another option that as you pointed out is similar to the Craig's mount with a few advantages

More info here: https://carbonio.com/collections/por...se-plate-mount
Can you post a pic of the mount itself please.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:32 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
There are photos on the instruction manual download on our site.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:39 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
LINK

LINK to Ron Bauer's Universal Mount from Craig's mustang

Last edited by UncleDude; 05-21-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:03 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

So I have my "mustang" removable plate holder installed. The GTS has a nub on the underside of the spoiler so I had to dremmel out a slot in the adaptor. The advantage through was I knew where center was and I just had to make sure I guided it in straight. I think for the price this is a great solution. I wish I could tighten it more with the plate extended out (I can push it side to side when extended out too far). So I have it fairly close, and it is pretty stiff in this position. I trimmed the plastic screws and super glued some bumpers on the back side. I'm going to dab them with peanut butter or something to see if the plate touches the bumper at speed. I don't think it does, but I'd like to know.

I got this before the Carbinio came out.

The following users liked this post:
Klepper (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 04:27 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

^^^^Cool solution. I suspect it will touch the bumper at least occasionally either with the force of the wind at speed or just from it vibrating/oscillating as you're driving around with the road irregularities.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:26 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
^^^^Cool solution. I suspect it will touch the bumper at least occasionally either with the force of the wind at speed or just from it vibrating/oscillating as you're driving around with the road irregularities.
I have this on my 718 2.4T GTS (same bumper), and it works perfectly and does not touch the bumper, even at track speeds. There are some more details in post #85 of this thread, and some more pics in post #99.

Last edited by Klepper; 09-02-2021 at 02:29 PM.
UncleDude (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 09:14 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I wish CA would do something like this. To take it a step further, if CA and other states are going to require front plates, I wish they would offer options in terms of smaller sizes of front plates. Many times, it's not that we're trying to skirt the law by not installing a front plate, it's just that the large front plate looks hideous on the front end of many sport cars that aren't really designed to accommodate a large front, aesthetically. I wish they would just make a small rectangular front plate. I think more people would be willing to install them if they were smaller.
They should make no front plate a purchase option. Like they charge for vanity plates. You get a special registration sticker for your rear plate that notes you are allowed to have no front plate. 95% of drivers are still going to fit front plates and the cops will have the supposed utility they get out of all these front plates and the few plateless cars out there will likely all just be enthusiasts
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Rockford:
reacp911 (09-19-2021), SpeedySpidey (09-02-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 07:51 PM
KoolKat
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
I'm surprised you didn't try the suggestion to use 3M trim tape & T-nuts with no drilling needed. It has worked great for me for over 2 years now. I haven't tried to remove the T-nuts but I see no reason to disrupt what's working well.

See post #41, snipped here: "I'd suggest looking at the very 1st entry of "The Dreaded Front License Plate" thread found here: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/the...3/post-2089643. This is what I did and 2 years later there are no problems and no holes in my bumper either."

Where in NH are you? We're west coast, on the Connecticut.
I think I'm going to try the 3M tape and T-nut solution. I prefer the look of the OEM centered bracket and won't need to remove it temporarily. If my province ever gets rid of the front license plate requirement (likely not but who knows), then at least I can remove it and not have any holes. Otherwise I'll try the L-bracket solution.
CaymanMatt (09-07-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 11:49 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

I purchased some inexpensive silicone plate holders and was able to modify the front one to accept the removable plate holder. Now this looks more finished, and there’s even more soft protection for the bumper now. Compare to what I posted above. I super glued the clear bumpers on to the back of the plastic screws that I dremmelled off.

westcoastj (04-27-2022)
Old 09-19-2021, 07:27 PM
ccp
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Overall I wouldn’t mind as much if they put a clear flat spot to mount the plate but it looks like that thin flat surface barely accommodates a thin European style plate
Old 10-21-2021, 02:00 AM
REDCOMET
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbonio
Correct we are now offering another option that as you pointed out is similar to the Craig's mount with a few advantages:

- Our mount is much lower profile so that when the plate is removed the receiver is almost invisible. On the Craig's mount the receiver leaves behind a male thread that looks totally out of place.
- We powder coat our mount satin black to give it a nice clean OEM look. In addition all hardware is stainless steel for long life
- Our design allows for the fine adjustment of angle and projection allowing for a really tailored fit. This lets the mount really follow the contour of the nose and look totally OEM once installed.

More info here: https://carbonio.com/collections/por...se-plate-mount

Planning to order your plate mount. May I ask if mount work on top of XPEL ppf? And is there any discount code available for RL local TO member? thanks
lowbee (10-21-2021)
Old 04-26-2022, 07:23 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
So I have my "mustang" removable plate holder installed. The GTS has a nub on the underside of the spoiler so I had to dremmel out a slot in the adaptor. The advantage through was I knew where center was and I just had to make sure I guided it in straight. I think for the price this is a great solution. I wish I could tighten it more with the plate extended out (I can push it side to side when extended out too far). So I have it fairly close, and it is pretty stiff in this position. I trimmed the plastic screws and super glued some bumpers on the back side. I'm going to dab them with peanut butter or something to see if the plate touches the bumper at speed. I don't think it does, but I'd like to know.

I got this before the Carbinio came out.

This is what I'm using as well.I didn't dremmel the bumper, instead I cut out some of the 3M tape on the bracket mount to allow that notch to fit in. I also slightly bent / curved the mount so the center rests further away giving room for the notch. So far so good at high speed.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:53 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
This is what I'm using as well.I didn't dremmel the bumper, instead I cut out some of the 3M tape on the bracket mount to allow that notch to fit in. I also slightly bent / curved the mount so the center rests further away giving room for the notch. So far so good at high speed.
I cut the mounting pad (adapter) not the car as you imply above. I’ve never come out of the car and found the plate touching the bumper so I assume it is stable at high speeds. I have a thin rubber trim around the bare plate like you, and the only downside I've found is that the plate can bend easily if you catch a chord on it (etc).

Last edited by UncleDude; 04-26-2022 at 11:45 AM.
AdamIsAdam (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 10:20 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 68 Posts

I live in a 2 plate state and I have the Carbonia in its box in the garage. I keep the front plate in the frunk and only use it to get my inspection sticker. I’ve yet to be pulled over but if I am I will show the officer the plate and say the front mount is back ordered. I expect to get a pass, so far so good.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:41 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Same here. Sunday was the first time I actually put the plate on. I was going over bridges which are always monitored by state troopers, so I put it on for that. That's why I like this mount, it's easy on/off and nearly invisible without the plate.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Options