Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 07:29 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Front License Plate Options

Unfortunately I live in an area where regulation dictates that vehicles must have a license plate affixed to the front of the vehicle and as I have no plans in drilling holes into my front bumper, I was curious to know what options are out there? On my previous car I used a US Millworks bracket that uses the front tow-hook socket. I would like to go the same route, however the only option they have listed for the 718 is "without park sensors". Does the GT4 have front park sensors? What are the rest of you planning? Ideas welcome.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I'm planning on buying a Carbonio mount for the 981 GT4 and modifying it as necessary to fit the 718. It will then go in the frunk just in case I ever get pulled over (would be the first time) and have to put it on. I had one for my 981 Spyder and it spent its life in the frunk.

Other option you might try is a Skene. You have to drill, but you do it on the underside where it can't be seen.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:39 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm planning on buying a Carbonio mount for the 981 GT4 and modifying it as necessary to fit the 718. It will then go in the frunk just in case I ever get pulled over (would be the first time) and have to put it on. I had one for my 981 Spyder and it spent its life in the frunk.

Other option you might try is a Skene. You have to drill, but you do it on the underside where it can't be seen.
Does anyone have a pic of the front OEM plate mount? On my 981 GTS, the plate mount has a horizontal flat piece that you can put screws through to mount it to the UNDERSIDE of the top of the center bumper opening.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:55 PM
theEnd
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 73 Posts

The Carbonio mount looks good.

I was considering mounting it magnetically. Its a bit of work, but I figured I'll ask the detailer if he can do it when he's doing a PPF wrap. Here's a thread with the details: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1021...ate-mount.html
Old 05-20-2020, 09:09 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
Unfortunately I live in an area where regulation dictates that vehicles must have a license plate affixed to the front of the vehicle and as I have no plans in drilling holes into my front bumper, I was curious to know what options are out there? On my previous car I used a US Millworks bracket that uses the front tow-hook socket. I would like to go the same route, however the only option they have listed for the 718 is "without park sensors". Does the GT4 have front park sensors? What are the rest of you planning? Ideas welcome.
I also live in an area where front plates are both mandatory and enforced. I have zero plans to install a front plate on my GT4. For the record I haven’t had a front plate on my current car and average about one $100 ticket per year. It doesn’t go on your licence or insurance either. Just a fix it ticket.

In my opinion front plates completely ruin the look of the front of the GT4. If I can afford a $150k toy, I can also afford $100 a year to keep it looking it’s best. Plus I think it looks like extra badass to not have a front plate and not give an eff in an area where it’s mandatory.

Hell my wife spends more than $100 per week on looks (nails, hair etc.) so I think a ticket every once in a while is a small price to pay for my man vanity needs. Haha.

Don’t do it OP. Some rules are meant to be broken
The following 7 users liked this post by Rxpert:
4MIDABLE (05-21-2020), Gatch (07-04-2020), Jim Rockford (05-20-2020), Outlaw 06 (04-15-2021), PGTGULF (01-01-2021), teej05 (02-05-2024), ZZebes (10-12-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2020, 09:20 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
Plus I think it looks like extra badass to not have a front plate and not give an eff in an area where it’s mandatory.
Now that’s the spirit!
The following users liked this post:
teej05 (02-05-2024)
Old 05-20-2020, 10:32 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 595 Likes on 324 Posts

Does the GT4 have front park sensors? What are the rest of you planning? Ideas welcome.
No front sensors on the GT4, only the rear. I currently drive a 981 CGTS w/o front plate. It's required here, but not strictly enforced. With ~26k miles, I have yet to be pulled over once.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pokerhobo:
4MIDABLE (05-21-2020), teej05 (02-05-2024)
Old 05-20-2020, 10:56 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been driving without front plates on my cars for over 10 years now and have never been pulled over. At least in Oakville if you aren’t driving like an idiot it seems like cops will turn the other cheek. If you really do want to play it safe I’d recommend the Rennline plate bracket.
The following 2 users liked this post by shizzle:
n4v4nod (05-20-2020), teej05 (02-05-2024)
Old 05-21-2020, 01:12 AM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Gents. Ok, so no front parking sensors. Then I will likely go with the same set up I had on previous car. It has a quick release, so I simply kept the plate in the rear seat footwell prepared to say “Oh, my bad Officer, I just washed the car and forgot to remount the plate. I’ll do it now. Thanks for the reminder.” Never actually had to use it as was never pulled over in over two years, but always ready.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:50 AM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

I have spoken with Carbonio and was to meet with them in the GTA for a fitting around now as I expected my GT4 to be here May 1. Although not made to fit the 718 they were somewhat confident it would fit here is the convo I had with them.

"At present we have not been able to fit our bracket to the new 982 718 GT4 so we cannot confirm the fitment. That said we know for sure that it does not fit the new nose shape on the 718 GTS however having studied photos of the GT4 the design seems to mirror the critical elements of the GT3 that allow it to fit. With this information I would say that we are 70-80% confident that the mount would work. If you would like you can order the mount and we’ll take it back if it does not fit."

Being near the QC border where they do not have to have F plates it allows for us in the national capital area to fly under the radar. Most of our Popo in the capital don't like to stop or turn the cruiser around to check someones F plate so were lucky. I here its a different kind of beast in the GTA they can turn on a dime for stuff like that, Hope this helps!
Old 05-21-2020, 11:09 AM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

I have done this mod on several cars now and love it.
I would rather run plateless all the time but that's just not feasible in some locations.

On my Cayman, I made a magnetic mount using the OE bracket.
I trimmed the bracket so that it doesn't touch anywhere except for the magnets.
Rare earth magnets are installed on both sides of the bracket as well as on the inside of the bumper.

I also have PPF on the car.

A few pics...

The following 4 users liked this post by InTgr8r:
Aronis (01-08-2021), burnergt4 (07-22-2020), DFW01TT (05-21-2020), FASTRKMAN (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 01:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
I have spoken with Carbonio and was to meet with them in the GTA for a fitting around now as I expected my GT4 to be here May 1. Although not made to fit the 718 they were somewhat confident it would fit here is the convo I had with them.

"At present we have not been able to fit our bracket to the new 982 718 GT4 so we cannot confirm the fitment. That said we know for sure that it does not fit the new nose shape on the 718 GTS however having studied photos of the GT4 the design seems to mirror the critical elements of the GT3 that allow it to fit. With this information I would say that we are 70-80% confident that the mount would work. If you would like you can order the mount and we’ll take it back if it does not fit."

Being near the QC border where they do not have to have F plates it allows for us in the national capital area to fly under the radar. Most of our Popo in the capital don't like to stop or turn the cruiser around to check someones F plate so were lucky. I here its a different kind of beast in the GTA they can turn on a dime for stuff like that, Hope this helps!
Was Carbonio suggesting that you buy the one for the 991 GT3 or the 981 GT4? I was thinking of the latter, and then simply adding an extension if necessary to account for any increased depth. Not sure why the nose shape even matters, given it attaches to the screen. Perhaps they mean the opening on the standard 718 front bumper isn't tall enough to fit a plate in there.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:53 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Was Carbonio suggesting that you buy the one for the 991 GT3 or the 981 GT4? I was thinking of the latter, and then simply adding an extension if necessary to account for any increased depth. Not sure why the nose shape even matters, given it attaches to the screen. Perhaps they mean the opening on the standard 718 front bumper isn't tall enough to fit a plate in there.
The latter being the 981 GT4. Thought was it would fit or would possibly need an extension as you mention. If it helps you and others my intent is to still do a test fit upon receipt. It may help with any adjustments they need to make on the existing mount if any. That said some are on the ground now so we may get word sooner.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
The latter being the 981 GT4. Thought was it would fit or would possibly need an extension as you mention. If it helps you and others my intent is to still do a test fit upon receipt. It may help with any adjustments they need to make on the existing mount if any. That said some are on the ground now so we may get word sooner.
Do you have your car already? If so, I would simply measure the height of the opening and see if it is taller than a license plate and then confirm that the screen in that center section would allow for the mount to attach (i.e., it simply needs to have nothing immediately up against it from behind.) If those two things are true, it should fit with no issues. The only other issue would be if the screen holes were very large, rather than relatively small on the GT4, as if they were large it would limit the flexibility in setting it in a specific location vertically.

EDIT: Looking at the grill pic on the chalk thread, I think it will definitely fit. Worst case it will need to angle slightly, which would be fine with me because it'll never be on the car anyway unless I need to try to clear a fix-it ticket.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:20 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Do you have your car already? If so, I would simply measure the height of the opening and see if it is taller than a license plate and then confirm that the screen in that center section would allow for the mount to attach (i.e., it simply needs to have nothing immediately up against it from behind.) If those two things are true, it should fit with no issues. The only other issue would be if the screen holes were very large, rather than relatively small on the GT4, as if they were large it would limit the flexibility in setting it in a specific location vertically.

EDIT: Looking at the grill pic on the chalk thread, I think it will definitely fit. Worst case it will need to angle slightly, which would be fine with me because it'll never be on the car anyway unless I need to try to clear a fix-it ticket.
Thx for the follow tips Archimedes but no car yet. I agree I think it will fit if not with minor adjustment. I hear it should be on the Mediterranean Highway so expected mid June in driveway? I will follow up then with more.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Options