Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 11:09 PM
Merasle
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I purchased some inexpensive silicone plate holders and was able to modify the front one to accept the removable plate holder. Now this looks more finished, and there’s even more soft protection for the bumper now. Compare to what I posted above. I super glued the clear bumpers on to the back of the plastic screws that I dremmelled off.

Uncle Dude,

Thanks for showing extensive images of your set-up. I will likely use the Craig Bracket like you have done (but am still also considering the Carbonio); my GTS is meant to arrive at the end of next month.

Which silicone cover are you using? I've looked at a few online and have not seen the back of many, as you have shown in your photos, which seems to be the most important part in this case as it makes the plate soft to prevent any possible damage should it get nudged or the bracket fail in any way (the former of which is unfortunately a possibility as I live in New York). Do you find that the silicone adds significant weight to the whole contraption adding to stress on the bracket and connection? Or is it minimal?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by Merasle; 05-11-2022 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:58 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Merasle
Uncle Dude,

Thanks for showing extensive images of your set-up. I will likely use the Craig Bracket like you have done (but am still also considering the Carbonio); my GTS is meant to arrive at the end of next month.

Which silicone cover are you using? I've looked at a few online and have not seen the back of many, as you have shown in your photos, which seems to be the most important part in this case as it makes the plate soft to prevent any possible damage should it get nudged or the bracket fail in any way (the former of which is unfortunately a possibility as I live in New York). Do you find that the silicone adds significant weight to the whole contraption adding to stress on the bracket and connection? Or is it minimal?

Thanks for your thoughts!
I think it is
this this
silicone cover, and I use it for the back too. It adds a bit of weight but it is insignificant. I think it looks better with the frame and it protects the car if someone walks by and catches it with their pants or if someone pushes into it etc. I don't think the plate has ever hit the car under speed, it seems to be quite strong and can resist a straight on pressure washer force. For the cost, it is a great solution IMO. I was planning on driving around without the front plate, but I just can't bring myself to doing it and risking the hassle with the cops, but I do take it off for cleaning.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:49 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

This is a pic of my front plate, not on the car. I'm using a very light, plastic black frame for my front plate. This protects the edges of the plate and of course looks great. I use plastic nuts and screws and trimmed the excess threads off to they don't push into the car. I also keep the plate at a bit of a distance from the bumper when it's mounted - which is rare. I don't keep the plate on the car unless I'm traveling over bridges and through NYC since that's where they tend to pull people over for no front plate. I tried the silicon wrap on the front but was concerned it was too heavy and could pull the mount off. I'm glad to see that is not the case for @UncleDude .

Old 05-12-2022, 08:21 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

What I'd love to see is some option that goes in the tow hook mount and can easily be swapped to a tow hook for track days. Currently I unscrew my plate, and screw in the holder all the time, it'd be nice to have some sort of quick release to swap between them.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:45 AM
Merasle
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Uncle Dude and Adam for your replies. This is very helpful. Did you note anything special in getting the base piece of the bracket well-attached and in just the right spot under the bumper?
Old 05-13-2022, 01:03 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

On the GTS the bumper has a small piece sticking up in the center. I wanted the 3m taped bracket base right on that spot. So I cut away a notch in the 3M tape to allow it to fit. I also bent the bracket slightly to arc over that bump and allow the 3m tape to stick better on the sides. So far so good. That 3m tape is strong stuff.

You could also mount the bracket in front of that bump, but then the stud is more visible without the plate on. For me,I didn't want that. My friend always has the plate on so that's how he mounted it.

Alternately, you could stick the bracket off center and then center the plate on that car.

The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 01:48 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Merasle
Thanks Uncle Dude and Adam for your replies. This is very helpful. Did you note anything special in getting the base piece of the bracket well-attached and in just the right spot under the bumper?
That was easy, but I did need to trim a piece of the bracket out to fit around the protrusion on the underside of the bumper - but the nice thing is that protrusion marks centre. I used a dremmel, and it was a 2 minute job.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:20 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ramans
What I'd love to see is some option that goes in the tow hook mount and can easily be swapped to a tow hook for track days. Currently I unscrew my plate, and screw in the holder all the time, it'd be nice to have some sort of quick release to swap between them.

I have the US Millworks bracket with the quick release option. It's extremely quick and easy to swap it out for my OEM OMP tow straps. Worth every penny.

US Millworks Bracket

US Millworks Quick Release
Old 05-13-2022, 01:24 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 756 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
This really wasn’t that hard to make and it even survived a near spin out
I’m sure that you could find some metal plates at Home Depot to make it.

I ended up using Three, 30 lb. Magnets.

Three 30 lb. Magnets, stock plate mount with some felt pads, Along with a mounting plate Gorilla taped under the lip.

Here’s a short video of how easy it is to put it on.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3433.MOV (16.28 MB, 53 views)
Old 08-13-2022, 10:48 AM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
This really wasn’t that hard to make and it even survived a near spin out
I’m sure that you could find some metal plates at Home Depot to make it.

I ended up using Three, 30 lb. Magnets.
How did the felt pads work out? My first thought was they might collect water and dirt.

thanks!
Old 08-13-2022, 01:59 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 756 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by gregturek
How did the felt pads work out? My first thought was they might collect water and dirt.

thanks!
So far, so good. But it’s not my DD so I’m not driving it in the rain.
I remove it before washing and flick off any dust, dirt and grasses with my fingernail.
For the 2800 miles I’ve driven, they look as good as new
The Magnetic splash guards take more of a beating, and I need a better buffer between the plastic and paint for those, the old style thin felt is about to fall off.
The following users liked this post:
gregturek (11-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Options