Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 01:21 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,267 Likes on 1,496 Posts

All misdemeanors are heard in criminal courts in virtually all states.

Virginia has never been pro-car. We do not get sales tax credits on trade-ins, and we pay (in Fairfax County where I live) 4.56 % of the vehicles assessed value every year for 25 years until the car can be classified as an antique. This is one of the worst states to live in if you are a car enthusiast and you will see a lot of Montana tags on high end cars to cheat the tax man.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:30 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
So whose political butt is being kissed to say that over 80mph is reckless driving and should be heard in a criminal court? This is quite draconian, no? In what way, shape for form, is it reckless to be driving 80mph when the speed limit is 70?
I didn't say the laws weren't draconian. I'm simply saying that, in my personal experience, the traffic enforcement is not worse than in other states. Most cops and judges I know, realize the laws are overly punitive and act accordingly when enforcing them. My wife was stopped over a year ago for dark window tint on her C7 Vett dd. She was given a citation which was dismissed by the judge. When I mentioned the ticket to several officer friends of mine (one who knew the officer that stopped my wife), they all said he was an a** for doing it (the officer who knew him told him that to his face) and that they, nor any other officer in their department has stopped someone for tinted windows. Every encounter I've had with a police officer in Virginia has been reasonable and, on several occasions, they have reduced the citation to a lessers infraction. I can't say the same for cops I have encountered in Florida.
The following users liked this post:
drcollie (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:38 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
For me, this is the cleanest, most unobtrusive way of attaching a front plate. You can position it nice and low as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Scotch-Extreme...5388824&sr=8-7
UPDATE: Works great, right up until the homeless bag lady next in the parking lot next to the Wendy's asks you for a cigarette and you politely say you dont smoke (but dont hand her some coins) and then come out 5 minutes later and she and your front plate are gone! Frickin' Los Angeles is a S-hole....
Old 04-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
All misdemeanors are heard in criminal courts in virtually all states.

Virginia has never been pro-car. We do not get sales tax credits on trade-ins, and we pay (in Fairfax County where I live) 4.56 % of the vehicles assessed value every year for 25 years until the car can be classified as an antique. This is one of the worst states to live in if you are a car enthusiast and you will see a lot of Montana tags on high end cars to cheat the tax man.
Now I have to agree with the ridiculous Personal Property tax situation here, however, the rate is driven by the counties not by the state and is not unique to motor vehicles. Mechanics and businesses are expected to pay business personal property tax on their equipment and tools of the trade. For example a mechanic is supposed to declare and pay tax each year on his personal tools in his toolbox in addition to the state income tax on his income. Boats are also affected. A few years ago, I moved my yacht from Florida to a marina in Virginia at the end of the year. A couple of months into the new year, I received a 5 figure PP Tax bill from the county the marina was in just because it was docked there on December 31. I fought the bill and got most of it reduced based on the amount of time it had been in Virgina. I immediately moved it to another marina in a county where the PP tax on boats was $.01 a year regardless of the value. The only positive is that "all" the people who own 6, 7, and 8 figure collector cars that are over 25 years old only pay $100 a year PP Tax on them. Got to love it.

P.S. - On the bright side, we do have VIR.

Last edited by Last_935; 04-16-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:47 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Last_935
I didn't say the laws weren't draconian. I'm simply saying that, in my personal experience, the traffic enforcement is not worse than in other states. Most cops and judges I know, realize the laws are overly punitive and act accordingly when enforcing them. My wife was stopped over a year ago for dark window tint on her C7 Vett dd. She was given a citation which was dismissed by the judge. When I mentioned the ticket to several officer friends of mine (one who knew the officer that stopped my wife), they all said he was an a** for doing it (the officer who knew him told him that to his face) and that they, nor any other officer in their department has stopped someone for tinted windows. Every encounter I've had with a police officer in Virginia has been reasonable and, on several occasions, they have reduced the citation to a lessers infraction. I can't say the same for cops I have encountered in Florida.
I am just curious to know what is driving (no pun intended) these laws in Virginia. These types of somewhat ridiculous laws, no matter what the issue, always seem to be catering to some special interest group, etc. Just curious what is the case in Virginia, that it is such an outlier compared to everywhere else.

Last edited by VVG; 04-16-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:21 AM
JonathanWalker
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
I have done this mod on several cars now and love it.
I would rather run plateless all the time but that's just not feasible in some locations.

On my Cayman, I made a magnetic mount using the OE bracket.
I trimmed the bracket so that it doesn't touch anywhere except for the magnets.
Rare earth magnets are installed on both sides of the bracket as well as on the inside of the bumper.

I also have PPF on the car.

A few pics...

I might look into this on mine. Looks a great solution
Old 04-17-2021, 11:48 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 773 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by JonathanWalker
I might look into this on mine. Looks a great solution
That post was the inspiration for my solution below, without having to remove the bumper

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ate-mount.html
Old 04-22-2021, 12:08 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,239 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
As I noted above, I purchased the universal kit from Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets. It's now mounted, and here are a few pics.

As 2XIPA notes, there is a little movement because of the single mounting point, but so far, is appears that there is no way for the bracket or license plate to come in contact with the bumper cover unless the thumbscrew comes loose. If you're really worried about it, using an actual serrated nut may be a better way to go, as you can get it tighter than the thumbscrew.

Ron

Ron, I was wondering if you’re still happy with this bracket? Any rubbing or banging against the bumper after your high speed runs?
Old 04-22-2021, 11:24 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Ron, I was wondering if you’re still happy with this bracket? Any rubbing or banging against the bumper after your high speed runs?
I have ZERO issues with this setup. The bracket that attaches to the car is slotted, so you can have it right up against the bumper or about an inch away, depending on the initial placing of the stick-on piece on the bumper. I shortened the screws that attach the plate to the bracket and added rubber plugs to the back side so that the rubber would contact the bumper first. But again, no issues with movement.

I pull it off for washing the car, autocross, and track, so no experience with sustained high speeds, but am confident that it would be fine. The stainless bracket that the plate attaches to is quite strong, so doubt it would bend back unless you were going 130+.

Ron
Old 04-22-2021, 11:30 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Normal placement for me has the rubber caps about 1/2" from the bumper.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:22 PM
juicedus
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
I have ZERO issues with this setup. The bracket that attaches to the car is slotted, so you can have it right up against the bumper or about an inch away, depending on the initial placing of the stick-on piece on the bumper. I shortened the screws that attach the plate to the bracket and added rubber plugs to the back side so that the rubber would contact the bumper first. But again, no issues with movement.

I pull it off for washing the car, autocross, and track, so no experience with sustained high speeds, but am confident that it would be fine. The stainless bracket that the plate attaches to is quite strong, so doubt it would bend back unless you were going 130+.

Ron

Great feedback!! Out of curiosity, do you have PPF applied on your front bumper or is the bracket attached directly to the paint?
Old 04-23-2021, 01:23 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update Ron.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:46 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Originally Posted by juicedus
Great feedback!! Out of curiosity, do you have PPF applied on your front bumper or is the bracket attached directly to the paint?
My PPF installer cut the PPF to put the bracket on, so it’s attached directly to the paint.

Ron
Old 05-21-2021, 12:35 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Looks like Carbonio has updated their plate holder. To me it looks very similar in concept to Craig's universal bracket that we've seen in this thread, but maybe in stainless steel (Craig's is quite a bit cheaper).
Old 05-21-2021, 03:11 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Looks like Carbonio has updated their plate holder. To me it looks very similar in concept to Craig's universal bracket that we've seen in this thread, but maybe in stainless steel (Craig's is quite a bit cheaper).
Correct we are now offering another option that as you pointed out is similar to the Craig's mount with a few advantages:

- Our mount is much lower profile so that when the plate is removed the receiver is almost invisible. On the Craig's mount the receiver leaves behind a male thread that looks totally out of place.
- We powder coat our mount satin black to give it a nice clean OEM look. In addition all hardware is stainless steel for long life
- Our design allows for the fine adjustment of angle and projection allowing for a really tailored fit. This lets the mount really follow the contour of the nose and look totally OEM once installed.

More info here: https://carbonio.com/collections/por...se-plate-mount

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Options