Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 08:03 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 551 Posts

Made some changes to my front plate install. Reconfigured the installation brackets and added a nice plate frame. If you must run a front plate, I am of the opinion that you should find a way to mount it in the center, and make it as visually appealing as possible. I really don't understand the appeal of the tow hook option. This is okay if you just want to install the plate for a state inspection and then promptly remove it, but if you are actually going to keep the plate on the car for any length of time, I think it looks horrible, aesthetically. As posted before, it is easy to configure a mounting bracket using the OEM piece that doesn't require drilling into the front of the bumper.

Last edited by VVG; 08-01-2020 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DM_718 (07-18-2022)
Old 08-01-2020, 10:41 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I have one of these as well, leftover from my '14 Cayman S. Never used it. Looks like it fits the 718.

kist got the rho-plate- very nice design , I like it better than a couple other tow hook mounts that I have used before.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Made some changes to my front plate install. Reconfigured the installation brackets and added a nice plate frame. If you must run a front plate, I am of the opinion that you should find a way to mount it in the center, and make it as visually appealing as possible. I really don't understand the appeal of the tow hook option. This is okay if you just want to install the plate for a state inspection and then promptly remove it, but if you are actually going to keep the plate on the car for any length of time, I think it looks horrible, aesthetically. As posted before, it is easy to configure a mounting bracket using the OEM piece that doesn't require drilling into the front of the bumper.

Clever mounting method, are those simply screws or did you remove the bumper and put in backing nuts? I also agree with your philosophy on running a front plate, if it is going to be on all the time it has to look right/good. IMHO for that it needs to be centered, the tow hook option looks terrible to me, more like a temporary fix.

Curious about the yellow headlight washer nozzles?
Old 08-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by mos996tt
kist got the rho-plate- very nice design , I like it better than a couple other tow hook mounts that I have used before.
I've never used mine, but the dealer that I'll be picking my car up from via courtesy delivery is a stickler about the new California law requiring plates permanently affixed to the car before driving off the lot. So you either bring a mount or you get your bumper drilled. $5,000 fine in California to the dealer if they let a car drive off the lot without a front plate or with it just taped on. Rumor is that our local Porsche dealer got hit with two fines before they decided to make it a requirement.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

I've never used mine, but the dealer that I'll be picking my car up from via courtesy delivery is a stickler about the new California law requiring plates permanently affixed to the car before driving off the lot. So you either bring a mount or you get your bumper drilled. $5,000 fine in California to the dealer if they let a car drive off the lot without a front plate or with it just taped on. Rumor is that our local Porsche dealer got hit with two fines before they decided to make it a requirement.
WOW! that is insane, and too bad when the front of the car looks so good the way it arrives!

Do you know what the fine for the owner is for no plate if pulled over in California?
Old 08-04-2020, 03:26 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

This sounds like an opportunity for the dealer to sell an improved mount that doesn't require drilling. There are dozens of solutions out there so what are they waiting for?
Old 08-04-2020, 03:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Westcoast
WOW! that is insane, and too bad when the front of the car looks so good the way it arrives!

Do you know what the fine for the owner is for no plate if pulled over in California?
Officer discretion, it can be a simple fix it ticket, which I believe is about $150, or it can be a $1,000 fine. I bought an M5 from their sister dealer (same owner) and the GM flat refused to let me drive it off the lot with the temp plate taped on the bumper. Said the Porsche dealer had been fined twice already. I had to pick up the car that day and had no other way to mount it, so they drilled the bumper. I filled it with paint matched plugs so it's not too noticeable, but it still sucks.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:50 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Officer discretion, it can be a simple fix it ticket, which I believe is about $150, or it can be a $1,000 fine. I bought an M5 from their sister dealer (same owner) and the GM flat refused to let me drive it off the lot with the temp plate taped on the bumper. Said the Porsche dealer had been fined twice already. I had to pick up the car that day and had no other way to mount it, so they drilled the bumper. I filled it with paint matched plugs so it's not too noticeable, but it still sucks.
Referring back to my previous post, why can't they loan you a towhook mount until you can get yours mounted the way you want, or install with a non drilled mount? This really seems like a squandered chance to help the customer.
MOO
Old 08-04-2020, 03:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
Referring back to my previous post, why can't they loan you a towhook mount until you can get yours mounted the way you want, or install with a non drilled mount? This really seems like a squandered chance to help the customer.
MOO
I have a tow hook mount, so I'm good for the GT4. I'll just drive off the lot, pull over and take it off. I don't know whether the Porsche dealer now offers a loaner mount, though I doubt it because if they were caught purposely circumventing the law they'd probably get in trouble. California learned long ago to go after the sellers rather than the customers in these types of situations. I bought from their sister BMW dealer who told me that it was policy for both dealers. The BMW dealer couldn't give a crap about helping me out. They wanted to just drill the holes and get it over with.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:08 PM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

A shop (@Rstrada) did the magnetic plate mount method on my GT3 and it works brilliantly. Not something to hit the track with, but works well enough for general cruising and parking. Planning to do the same with my incoming Spyder.
The following 2 users liked this post by carrerafanboy:
CaymanMatt (08-04-2020), The_West (09-12-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 05:17 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

I have a tow hook mount, so I'm good for the GT4. I'll just drive off the lot, pull over and take it off. I don't know whether the Porsche dealer now offers a loaner mount, though I doubt it because if they were caught purposely circumventing the law they'd probably get in trouble.
A tow hook mount is legal so how is this circumventing the law?
Old 08-04-2020, 05:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
A tow hook mount is legal so how is this circumventing the law?
If they were loaning you a device, to just get you off the lot, I could see that being technically deemed circumvention. Who knows or gives a ****. The reason they're going after the dealers on this is that the regulators have deemed that the dealers are assisting buyers with circumventing the law by not requiring it to be affixed. Anyone can buy one for themselves and just slap it on. I got screwed because I wasn't aware of it when I bought my M5 and I had to take the car that day. If I had time, I would have just left it there and had a Carbonio mount expressed to me.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:53 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Clever mounting method, are those simply screws or did you remove the bumper and put in backing nuts? I also agree with your philosophy on running a front plate, if it is going to be on all the time it has to look right/good. IMHO for that it needs to be centered, the tow hook option looks terrible to me, more like a temporary fix.

Curious about the yellow headlight washer nozzles?
Simple screws. Holds very well. Threads on the screws are deep and the bumper plastic is very sturdy. Yellow washers....just an option that is something different and keeping with the overall yellow theme....PCCB, yellow interior stitch. I am aesthetically OCD that way. If you look earlier in the thread, I posted how I constucted the mount.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:37 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
InTgr8r, Great solution! Could you please post more info on how you got to mount the magnets inside the bumper?
Does the bumper have to be removed?

Thanks in advance.

~Speedy
Yes, bumper removal is required.
Removal is very easy, there is a DIY for this posted on 718 Forum

The magnets are positioned by holding the plate bracket, with magnets installed, in place then the magnets behind bumper will latch in place.
The following 2 users liked this post by InTgr8r:
argyleCali (08-04-2020), SpeedySpidey (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:47 PM
argyleCali
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you please share the link? Couldn't find it.
The following 2 users liked this post by argyleCali:
n4v4nod (08-04-2020), SpeedySpidey (08-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Options