Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:43 AM
drjsilver
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a solution to the problem that most Rennlisters will like. I'm in Maryland USA and I have to have a front plate. So, I took my plate, put it on the office copy machine, copied it at 50% size and laminated it. Then I used adhesive backed Velcro to attach it to the center block off of my previous ride, a 2014 Boxster S. I've moved it over to my Boxster GTS 4.0. I'll photograph it tonight and post it. Works great. Got cited for it once during a speeding stop, and the judge saw my reproduction plate and gave me a not-guilty. It is about the size of a motorcycle plate.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:54 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by drjsilver
I have a solution to the problem that most Rennlisters will like. I'm in Maryland USA and I have to have a front plate. So, I took my plate, put it on the office copy machine, copied it at 50% size and laminated it. Then I used adhesive backed Velcro to attach it to the center block off of my previous ride, a 2014 Boxster S. I've moved it over to my Boxster GTS 4.0. I'll photograph it tonight and post it. Works great. Got cited for it once during a speeding stop, and the judge saw my reproduction plate and gave me a not-guilty. It is about the size of a motorcycle plate.
Unfortunately stickers don't work in Ontario.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,771 Likes on 2,766 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Unfortunately stickers don't work in Ontario.
Nor in British Columbia, they are considered a reproduction, the original plate is required.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:31 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

That won't work in California either. We do though have an alternative which is technically in a pilot program where you can install basically a vinyl front sticker that is an exact replica of your actual plate. Check out License Plate Wrap. I'm not affiliated with them. It seems that other states may be doing a feasibility study on this product as well. No drilling and can easily be removed with heat gun. Basically, it's a wrap, sized and shaped like your license plate. I've seen a couple of cars in my area with them.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:35 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
For those who can be patient, watch this space for my front plate mount solution. I think I’m on to something.
It’s a simple, no Drill solution, and really inexpensive, yet (I believe) fairly easy to implement.
I am almost finished with it, but I have to pause for a week or so to visit my brother in Fla La Land...
I should have it wrapped up by the end of the month, so stay tuned 👍
I might be tied up for a bit and won’t be able to complete this until probably mid to late April, so very shortly I’ll be posting my solution and the details for any of you who want to proceed with it.
Then I’ll go back and clean it up with completed pics. Look for something later this week...

~Speedy
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:38 PM
DP8
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

Appreciate all the great info in this thread. Question for those with the Craig's custom mustang bracket. Their website says not recommended to be installed over clear bra material. Do you have PPF on your front bumper and does the 3M tape work well or do you have no PPF on your front bumper? I have PPF but I am tempted to try it anyways but figured I would ask first. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-08-2021, 12:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by DP8
Appreciate all the great info in this thread. Question for those with the Craig's custom mustang bracket. Their website says not recommended to be installed over clear bra material. Do you have PPF on your front bumper and does the 3M tape work well or do you have no PPF on your front bumper? I have PPF but I am tempted to try it anyways but figured I would ask first. Thanks in advance!
I imagine the issue is not whether it will stick to the PPF, but whether the adhesive on the PPF is strong enough to stay attached to the car with the additional weight of the plate and bracket. No way to find out without trying.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:52 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 805 Posts

Also in MD, and wondered if this would fly here after seeing the "sticker plates" on youtube vids abroad. I was pulled over and given a warning/fix-it ticket "on the BWI Airport access road" for having my front plate in my front window because I didn't want the dealer drilling in to my 20th AE GTI...I think this was pre-tow hook mounts.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
That won't work in California either. We do though have an alternative which is technically in a pilot program where you can install basically a vinyl front sticker that is an exact replica of your actual plate. Check out License Plate Wrap. I'm not affiliated with them. It seems that other states may be doing a feasibility study on this product as well. No drilling and can easily be removed with heat gun. Basically, it's a wrap, sized and shaped like your license plate. I've seen a couple of cars in my area with them.
I checked out their website but in the end don't see what the point is, as it's just as ugly as running a front plate in the first place, if not more so. Even if you were going to run a plate full time, there are enough options to actually mount it without drilling that I just don't see the benefit of the vinyl sticker approach.

It's a shame that Carbonio doesn't make a mount similar to what they did for the 981, that mounts on the screen. Even if it was only for use when parked, I'd buy it to throw in the frunk and throw on the car whenever it was public parked or to try to get out of a citation if I was ever pulled over. I'm still thinking of modifying my 981 Spyder Carbonio mount for this purpose.

Last edited by Archimedes; 03-08-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:32 PM
mranderson
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I have the same one Ron has, and will be applying it to the car when I get it. IMO that one is hard to beat for ease of install and because you can take the plate of easily. There was one member who’s already ripped of the Carbino holder
That was me. I just received my RHO Plate V2 in the mail and went out to install it. Quality is A+, instruction was A+, Packaging A+. Very easy to get right and looking great!
Old 03-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Merlotsj
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by mranderson
That was me. I just received my RHO Plate V2 in the mail and went out to install it. Quality is A+, instruction was A+, Packaging A+. Very easy to get right and looking great!
That is 2 of us then. Looking back, I guess I didn’t post about it, but on my first break-in ride in the hills my Carbonio started dragging, and when I pulled onto the shoulder it went under the car and came out in a crumpled up mess. It lasted less than 300 miles.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:22 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I checked out their website but in the end don't see what the point is, as it's just as ugly as running a front plate in the first place, if not more so. Even if you were going to run a plate full time, there are enough options to actually mount it without drilling that I just don't see the benefit of the vinyl sticker approach.

It's a shame that Carbonio doesn't make a mount similar to what they did for the 981, that mounts on the screen. Even if it was only for use when parked, I'd buy it to throw in the frunk and throw on the car whenever it was public parked or to try to get out of a citation if I was ever pulled over. I'm still thinking of modifying my 981 Spyder Carbonio mount for this purpose.
Totally agree that having a front plate in general is just hideous. I think the "benefit" of using License Plate Wrap is that you don't have to drill into the bumper and it can be removed with a heat gun and still have a bumper without drill holes. I too am thinking of just getting the Cabonio mount to use when parking as someone mentioned that in Santa Monica there are apparently parking police that will drive around and give you tickets for no front plates.

I know cops and DMV have given the reason for requiring a front plate at least in Cali saying that it's for police to identify cars such as stolen cars, etc or so cars get charged properly when going through toll roads, etc. Personally, I don't think most people avoid putting a front plate because they're on the run from the law or trying to avoid a toll. After all, there is still the rear plate. I think the front plate is just huge and looks hideous. If they made an option like the picture below, I think people would be at least a little more inclined to use a front plates if required in your state but until then, no plate.

Personally, I'm not into the tow hook solution because IMHO I think it looks even worse to put a license plate off center. Maybe my OCD would drive me crazy to see it off center like that and just jutting out. If that were my option, I would much rather have it centered and either use the License Plate Wrap or just mount it or run without and take the fix it ticket and use the cabonio solution to have a cop sign off and then remove it.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 03-08-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:32 PM
mranderson
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlotsj
That is 2 of us then. Looking back, I guess I didn’t post about it, but on my first break-in ride in the hills my Carbonio started dragging, and when I pulled onto the shoulder it went under the car and came out in a crumpled up mess. It lasted less than 300 miles.
I hear you. I travelled a few feet and it was already on the street. I went to visit their shop and met the owners (nice guys and very professional). I think it is just that the GT4 / Spyder is so incredibly low.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:37 PM
Dorian C
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts

I hate side mounted plates. They look wrong on the car. They stick out, a super eye sore. The plate is the first thing you see when a plate mounted on the side of the bumper. If there is a plate at the centre of the bumper, not so much. Most press cars have euro plates when they are released. I think cars look fine with a plate mounted in the centre. Yes, no plate will always look better without exception. But not all of us are lucky to be able to not run plates. Most of us can't care less about the cost of the tickets. We just do not want to give the cops an excuse to stop us. Being pulled over is annoying and it wastes valuable time. Plateless cars are easy targets.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:45 PM
Curvehound
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mranderson
That is what I used and agree that it was easy to mount and the quality is good. In my mind though, the downside of this approach is that to remove it, it seems you have to unscrew the plate from the mount in order to get at the tow hook bolt. This is kind of a pain when you want to remove it to put in a real tow hook at the track. The was the advantage of the USMillworks mount - once you set it up, you could just twist it off.

The only other negative I have found with Rho mount is that the plate mounting screws poke out the back a decent ways and are very close to the bumper cover. Thus, if the plate gets pushed back by something, I worry that the screws will puncture the bumper cover. Have any of you come up with something to cover up the screw ends to prevent this?

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Options