Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 09:03 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Looking forward to the pics Ron, I intend on getting one of these as well for the GTS
Old 12-31-2020, 09:09 PM
LDubz735
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
I ended up ordering the "universal" kit from Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets and it arrived today. I don't have any pictures to share yet, as I rushed it over to my PPF installer before they closed so they could make space for the portion that attaches to the car, but wow, it's pretty nice! http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product...plate-bracket/

I have a GT4, and the universal kit will work fantastic. I did a test fit, and the part that attaches to the car with 3M double stick tape can go up to an inch back from the opening of the mouth and still have some adjustment available. The portion that the plate physically attaches to in stainless steel and seems quite robust, without being overly heavy.

I'll get pics next week when I get the car back.

BTW, I chose to go this option as it was a really good value, and unlike the other option that has the quick release that attaches to the bottom of the splitter, I don't lose any ground clearance, and I think the plate looks better where the factory intended it, rather than lower in the mouth opening. Additionally, the other option would stick our further from the bumper, and I thought that would look a little goofy. Plus, no air blockage to the radiator using this option.

Ron
Yes, looking forward to your pictures as this at the top of my list for a license plate solution for my Spyder when it arrives. Can you please try to get some pics of where you mounted it?
Old 01-01-2021, 05:21 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by LDubz735
Yes, looking forward to your pictures as this at the top of my list for a license plate solution for my Spyder when it arrives. Can you please try to get some pics of where you mounted it?
Absolutely. Also have a couple friends that recently got Spyders, so can verify if it all works the same.

Ron
Old 01-01-2021, 09:10 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 928 Posts

Just don’t mount it to your PPF as it will lift/peel.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:04 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
As I noted in my post, my PPF installer is going to trim space for the mounting of it.

Ron
Old 01-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
As I noted in my post, my PPF installer is going to trim space for the mounting of it.

Ron
For those who did not allow for this, a top notch PPF installer can easily trim back the film to allow for the proper mounting of the adhesive to the painted surface.
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 02:23 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 928 Posts

Ron
my bad... missed that.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:17 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Made some changes to my front plate install. Reconfigured the installation brackets and added a nice plate frame. If you must run a front plate, I am of the opinion that you should find a way to mount it in the center, and make it as visually appealing as possible. I really don't understand the appeal of the tow hook option. This is okay if you just want to install the plate for a state inspection and then promptly remove it, but if you are actually going to keep the plate on the car for any length of time, I think it looks horrible, aesthetically. As posted before, it is easy to configure a mounting bracket using the OEM piece that doesn't require drilling into the front of the bumper.

Oh the irony of a state with a Live Free or Die moto requiring a front plate! I feel for you guys. I wish the front plate would just disappear everywhere.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:26 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 756 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG

I really like your floor tiles VVG... where did you get them?

Old 01-05-2021, 12:41 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by LDubz735
I bought the "universal" kit from Craig's Custom Mustang Bracket for my Spyder. Fit and finish are excellent. It easily fits and when mounted seems as if it won't damage the car.

My concern is the system is dependant on a single **** and serrated washer keeping the license plate in place. It's the serrated washer, that in my mind, is the weak area that would likely to fail over time. So, I'll be going to Tacoma Screw this Saturday to purchase a Nord-Lock washer as an alternative to the serrated washer. If it doesn't seem to work I'll likely return the universal bracket and buy a replacement left hand screw bolt for my Gominigo bracket.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:12 PM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

My current setup is 100% perfect and will not cost you much like 30$ total, i used 8 x 2 of magnets nonudium front and back of the bumper that i bought from amazon + 3m double sided tabes this will stick the plate and secure it and when you need to remove you can without leaving a mess
Old 01-07-2021, 09:26 AM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 75 Posts

Would the steps to remove the the GT4/GTS 4.0 bumper the same as the 718 base/S? I am thinking of going the Magnet option.
Dyim (04-26-2022)
Old 01-07-2021, 02:36 PM
ronbauer
Pro

As I noted above, I purchased the universal kit from Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets. It's now mounted, and here are a few pics.

As 2XIPA notes, there is a little movement because of the single mounting point, but so far, is appears that there is no way for the bracket or license plate to come in contact with the bumper cover unless the thumbscrew comes loose. If you're really worried about it, using an actual serrated nut may be a better way to go, as you can get it tighter than the thumbscrew.

Ron

The following 4 users liked this post by ronbauer:
alwaysdriving (01-09-2021), DFW01TT (01-07-2021), Dorian C (01-07-2021), UncleDude (02-21-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 02:42 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 756 Likes on 370 Posts

As I noted above, I purchased the universal kit from Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets. It's now mounted, and here are a few pics.

As 2XIPA notes, there is a little movement because of the single mounting point, but so far, is appears that there is no way for the bracket or license plate to come in contact with the bumper cover unless the thumbscrew comes loose. If you're really worried about it, using an actual serrated nut may be a better way to go, as you can get it tighter than the thumbscrew.

Ron

Looks good! But I would cut those bolts back to be flush with the nuts, then add some felt pads on the back if I were you...

dnimi123 (05-22-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 03:17 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
Looks good! But I would cut those bolts back to be flush with the nuts, then add some felt pads on the back if I were you...
Yeah, I installed the plate and got pictures this morning on my way out the door, so may do something like that. The screws and nuts are plastic also. I may add a license plate surround as well, which will take up some of the depth.

Ron

Last edited by ronbauer; 01-07-2021 at 03:21 PM.
SpeedySpidey (01-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Options