Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 06:36 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 551 Posts

Here's my creation for the Spyder. I really dislike the tow hook look. It is aesthetically just horrible IMO. I am actually going to run plateless for most of the time. For times when I do want or need a plate (state inspections, long trips, etc) I constructed this piece using the OEM mounting plate.

1. Sand the back of the OEM plate mount with medium to course grit sandpaper
2. Wash thoroughly with detergent to remove surface oils and allow to fully dry
3. Attach metal L brackets using heavy duty automotive mounting tape. You will have to bend the brackets to a slight obtuse angle (maybe 5-10 degrees)
4. Re-inforce with Gorilla Tape. You will be surprised how strong the combo of the mounting tape and Gorilla tape is.
5. Attach some sort of pad to prevent the stock mounting points from scuffing the bumper. I used velcro

You can now attach the mount by screwing into the underside of the bumper. 2 screws are fine even though you have four holes. One nice thing about using the OEM mount is that it fits the contours of the car and is centered so it doesn't look as hideous. It stays on quite firmly as there is just a small amount of tension between the plate mount and the front bumper face

P.S. After I test mounted as shown in these pics, I actually increased the bend in the L brackets a few degrees so they sit more flush with the underside of the bumper. Not necessary for sturdiness, but I am just OCD that way.

Last edited by VVG; 06-26-2020 at 06:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
Aronis (01-08-2021), Croc999 (08-17-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 06:48 PM
wishman44
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone try a vinyl front license plate wrap yet? Seems like may be legal in CA.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Old 06-25-2020, 09:49 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wishman44

Yes, but you can't take this on and off. IMO, it needs to be removable and look as good as possible when in place
Old 06-25-2020, 10:42 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

I think that might actually look worse than the license plate. Looks “cheesy” to me. To each their own though.
The following users liked this post:
its gt4 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 05:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Not legal where I live and besides it looks like a bumper sticker... wait it is!
Old 06-27-2020, 08:30 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 208 Posts

I may be in the minority, but I’m just going to screw my plate onto the bumper and forget about it.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (10-11-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 08:31 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
I may be in the minority, but I’m just going to screw my plate onto the bumper and forget about it.
You rebel!
Old 06-28-2020, 02:47 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Why not do what I did then? It is SO EASY, and still retains an intact bumper front. The plate assembly literally took me 15-20 minutes to do.

All materials available at Home Depot. There is simply no down side.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:49 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Why not do what I did then? It is SO EASY, and still retains an intact bumper front. The plate assembly literally took me 15-20 minutes to do.

All materials available at Home Depot. There is simply no down side.
I see what you did there, may consider it, good job hiding the screws. What size were the L brackets?
Old 06-28-2020, 04:58 PM
its gt4
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I see what you did there, may consider it, good job hiding the screws. What size were the L brackets?
Do the Velcro or 3M method; I will do it for you! Free, I am serious. Just don't drill please!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:15 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Here's my creation for the Spyder. I really dislike the tow hook look. It is aesthetically just horrible IMO. I am actually going to run plateless for most of the time. For times when I do want or need a plate (state inspections, long trips, etc) I constructed this piece using the OEM mounting plate.

1. Sand the back of the OEM plate mount with medium to course grit sandpaper
2. Wash thoroughly with detergent to remove surface oils and allow to fully dry
3. Attach metal L brackets using heavy duty automotive mounting tape. You will have to bend the brackets to a slight obtuse angle (maybe 5-10 degrees)
4. Re-inforce with Gorilla Tape. You will be surprised how strong the combo of the mounting tape and Gorilla tape is.
5. Attach some sort of pad to prevent the stock mounting points from scuffing the bumper. I used velcro

You can now attach the mount by screwing into the underside of the bumper. 2 screws are fine even though you have four holes. One nice thing about using the OEM mount is that it fits the contours of the car and is centered so it doesn't look as hideous. It stays on quite firmly as there is just a small amount of tension between the plate mount and the front bumper face
... deleted photos...
P.S. After I test mounted as shown in these pics, I actually increased the bend in the L brackets a few degrees so they sit more flush with the underside of the bumper. Not necessary for sturdiness, but I am just OCD that way.
I'm surprised you didn't try the suggestion to use 3M trim tape & T-nuts with no drilling needed. It has worked great for me for over 2 years now. I haven't tried to remove the T-nuts but I see no reason to disrupt what's working well.

See post #41, snipped here: "I'd suggest looking at the very 1st entry of "The Dreaded Front License Plate" thread found here: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/the...3/post-2089643. This is what I did and 2 years later there are no problems and no holes in my bumper either."

Where in NH are you? We're west coast, on the Connecticut.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:52 PM
its gt4
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

The USMILL finally came (no, I don't have the car yet).

Fitted a silicone protector at the back to hold the bracket and the plates and a clear cover on top.

Reason, "in case" if someone backs onto the plate, the silicone gives a little cushion. Also I got the quick release; I cut a rectangle shape on the silicone for the QR bracket (see photo).

The silicone covers the clips so the clips won't fall off (see photo).

The only issue I can predict is the weight, the bracket is "heavy" (even the light version). The tow screw is left tighten, I used the hole on the left and the bracket weight is to the right; the weight of the bracket might loosen the tow screw. Anyone have experience with this? And did you use the last left hole for mounting?

Old 06-29-2020, 09:52 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by its gt4
Do the Velcro or 3M method; I will do it for you! Free, I am serious. Just don't drill please!
Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
I'm surprised you didn't try the suggestion to use 3M trim tape & T-nuts with no drilling needed. It has worked great for me for over 2 years now. I haven't tried to remove the T-nuts but I see no reason to disrupt what's working well.
I wanted a solution whereby I could fully and easily remove the plate and have the bumper be completely clean. The are only 3 ways to do this:

1. Remove the whole front bumper and attach magnets behind the bumper and then onto the plate mount. Very labor intensive, and I am not sure how secure this would be at speed.
2. Use a tow hook mount
3. Create/buy a center mount the attaches from the underside of the bumper. As I had posted earlier in this thread, with my 981 GTS, I could simply use the OEM mount since it had a flat shelf that you could then use to attach from the underside. For this application, I used the L brackets for fabrication. Works perfectly. The plate can be mounted and unmounted, at will, in about a minute. It is center mounted and there are no visible holes, velcro, tape, pins, etc when the plate is off.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:02 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

2". 0.5" width. They come painted black. I think they were either in the hardware or shelving section of Home Depot.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:42 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I wanted a solution whereby I could fully and easily remove the plate and have the bumper be completely clean. The are only 3 ways to do this:

1. Remove the whole front bumper and attach magnets behind the bumper and then onto the plate mount. Very labor intensive, and I am not sure how secure this would be at speed.
2. Use a tow hook mount
3. Create/buy a center mount the attaches from the underside of the bumper. As I had posted earlier in this thread, with my 981 GTS, I could simply use the OEM mount since it had a flat shelf that you could then use to attach from the underside. For this application, I used the L brackets for fabrication. Works perfectly. The plate can be mounted and unmounted, at will, in about a minute. It is center mounted and there are no visible holes, velcro, tape, pins, etc when the plate is off.
I understand. Sorry I missed that before. Since it's NH I didn't even think you'd want to take the plate off.
I guess for me the next best method is the rare-earth magnet method that has been used by some. No holes, and nothing attached to the front of the bumper. That to me is the ideal from the aesthetic perspective but requires removal of the bumper to attach.
Your attachment looks good but I worry that the weight of the plate & plate carrier will over time and bumps cause the threads to deform, with the end result being the screws torn out of the bumper. I'm just a pessimist at heart & I hope that doesn't happen!

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Options