Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 04:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Yes warranty.
I asked last week, dealer said, a non OEM muffler will void warranty...
Old 01-28-2020, 04:23 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I asked last week, dealer said, a non OEM muffler will void warranty...
May vary on the response you get.....I would go with what your dealer tells you as a guide for what you do.

On a separate point, Audi in the UK has partnered with Akrapovic to sell their exhaust kits through dealers. Porsche should officially get on board.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:11 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I also haven't kept up on what the latest is for North American cars, are we getting the same particulate filter containment unit without the guts?
Not quite, from what I understand we are getting what is essentially the same canister and inner structure but without the catalytic coating, so it will have the same flow characteristics but no emissions effect.

What I find interesting is that the EU version has pressure sensors before/after presumably to monitor flow where as the non-EU doesn't, I recall in the early days of emission control catalytic converters sometimes plugged up and caused grief, and I do recall cleaning the tips on my 981 from soot... I wonder if this will be a problem in the future.
The following 3 users liked this post by Westcoast:
ISPYA718 (01-29-2020), JCR-Porsche (01-29-2020), n4v4nod (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 10:36 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Not quite, from what I understand we are getting what is essentially the same canister and inner structure but without the catalytic coating, so it will have the same flow characteristics but no emissions effect.

What I find interesting is that the EU version has pressure sensors before/after presumably to monitor flow where as the non-EU doesn't, I recall in the early days of emission control catalytic converters sometimes plugged up and caused grief, and I do recall cleaning the tips on my 981 from soot... I wonder if this will be a problem in the future.
Interesting....so the sound should be the same on all cars if coating is the delta.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting....so the sound should be the same on all cars if coating is the delta.
That would be my take, virtually the same sound. I am still considering the muffler swap, I agree that there really should be no problem with warranty this far back in the system, I need to spend some more time with the service department, they may have thought that I was thinking of the complete system.

It is still awhile before I have car to put it on, and I also think that I need to hear the OEM system in person before doing anything.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:49 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 27 Posts

Just going to leave this here. Sounds a hell of a lot better than the EU cars.
View this post on Instagram

The following users liked this post:
718GT4.0 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 07:55 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

The evidence is quite convincing based on JCR's posts that both EU and US/ROW cars will sound the same. Just the coating on the OPF matrix is different.

This short video of indoor car startup adds nothing to the debate.

For what it's worth, ONLY a side by side comparo of EU and ROW cars will close the debate.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:26 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
The evidence is quite convincing based on JCR's posts that both EU and US/ROW cars will sound the same. Just the coating on the OPF matrix is different.

For what it's worth, ONLY a side by side comparo of EU and ROW cars will close the debate.
Indoors, cold start, valves open with the OP comparing to other cars they have 'heard' on videos.. As you say, side by side the only way but I think the reality is that some people are just wishing that the US and ROW cars will sound different when in reality, that's unfortunately just not the case.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 02-06-2020, 10:16 AM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

The above post from 718GT4RS sounds different than any EU car. That rasp and volume isnt there in the EU cars.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:21 AM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 718GT4.0
The above post from 718GT4RS sounds different than any EU car. That rasp and volume isnt there in the EU cars.
Agreed. It is clear the sound is different. EU cars are just muted while this one isn’t.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:24 AM
718GT4.0
User

Here's one though I think shows it much more clearly though. Do I think it's a massive difference? not necessarily until I hear it in person, but that rasp and growl is clearly more pronounced in these insta links, esp this one.
View this post on Instagram
The following 3 users liked this post by 718GT4.0:
katzndogs (02-06-2020), n4v4nod (02-06-2020), Titan475 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 12:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The evidence is quite convincing based on JCR's posts that both EU and US/ROW cars will sound the same. Just the coating on the OPF is different.
Evidence? What is this evidence that you speak of? Has anyone even inspected a US car yet? And how do you know it’s not the coating that’s causing all the sound deadening? You do know that placing materials on a given surface can have a huge impact on how sound rebounds off it, right?

And really, startup is meaningless? What cars do you know that sound louder and better at idle than at full tilt with valves open? It’s hard to believe those great sounding idles are going to magically turn quiet at 7000 rpm.

The Euro cars sound great and I expect the US cars will sound even better. That last video clip above sounds at least as good as, if not better than, the 981.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:35 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by 718GT4.0
Here's one though I think shows it much more clearly though. Do I think it's a massive difference? not necessarily until I hear it in person, but that rasp and growl is clearly more pronounced in these insta links, esp this one.
HERE
I guess all will become clear but the point is that this video is recorded with the car in the cold start procedure (massive amount of ignition retard to heat cats) which results in a much more aggressive sound regardless PLUS the car is inside a showroom which again amplifies and exaggerates the sound.

Here's a comparison of stock vs JCR

Make what you will of it but if you're unsure or need any more clarification then check out the part numbers of the OPF pipes across the EU / ROW cars. Just a note also that we have acquired both EU and ROW spec OPF pipes from the new 718 GT4 / Spyder and have had them in our workshop since mid / late last year.

JC
The following users liked this post:
sobiloff (02-07-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 02:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Just a note also that we have acquired both EU and ROW spec OPF pipes from the new 718 GT4 / Spyder and have had them in our workshop since mid / late last year.
But you've yet to test run a ROW car to see what it actually sounds like without the coating, right?

Have you cut open an EU and ROW OPF pipe to inspect the nature of the interior difference?

Old 02-06-2020, 07:24 PM
718GT4.0
User

The JCR pipes sound great. OEM in your vid very muted even when revving. I saw it on insta and was wondering when you'd post it.

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
I guess all will become clear but the point is that this video is recorded with the car in the cold start procedure (massive amount of ignition retard to heat cats) which results in a much more aggressive sound regardless PLUS the car is inside a showroom which again amplifies and exaggerates the sound.

Here's a comparison of stock vs JCR

https://youtu.be/zYTYXFVviuw

Make what you will of it but if you're unsure or need any more clarification then check out the part numbers of the OPF pipes across the EU / ROW cars. Just a note also that we have acquired both EU and ROW spec OPF pipes from the new 718 GT4 / Spyder and have had them in our workshop since mid / late last year.

JC

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point