Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 09:03 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Good comparo! Now I just need a car to install this onto!
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (09-24-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 11:50 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I may be in the minority but actually prefer the deeper, more growly and less raspy, less crackle & poppy sound of the 718 4.0 even with the GPF. Especially inside the car (where it matters) it sounds more GT3-like (even more Mezger-like) than the 3.8. Was never a fan of the fake 981 crackle & pops. Great to hear that the GPF and its usa counterpart could be easily bypassed with no cel or warranty issues.
agree snap crackle and pops are for cereal only.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2XIPA:
RyuBraska (01-25-2020), Titan475 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I for one love the fact that they got rid of all the fake pops and crackles on decel. That’s a fad that needed to end a quick death IMO. I think the new car sounds great in the videos out there and I expect it’ll sound fantastic in US spec.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:55 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I for one love the fact that they got rid of all the fake pops and crackles on decel. That’s a fad that needed to end a quick death IMO. I think the new car sounds great in the videos out there and I expect it’ll sound fantastic in US spec.
From the video above the OEM pipes don't sound bad at all, could it be better I suppose but the cost to change is fairly steep as well, and as you mentioned we have yet to ear the US cars, only EU versions with the PF.

As for the 'crackle pop', because we knew the computer was generating the condition, for me any time it was on and although it made me smile I knew it was fake...

Old 01-25-2020, 09:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
I may be in the minority but actually prefer the deeper, more growly and less raspy, less crackle & poppy sound of the 718 4.0 even with the GPF. Especially inside the car (where it matters) it sounds more GT3-like (even more Mezger-like) than the 3.8. Was never a fan of the fake 981 crackle & pops. Great to hear that the GPF and its usa counterpart could be easily bypassed with no cel or warranty issues.
Regarding the bolded statement, are you sure, I asked and was told it would void the warranty.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:16 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
agree snap crackle and pops are for cereal only.
I love my snap crackle and pops in my 981 GT4, I even like it in my cereal
The following 2 users liked this post by James88:
DrakarBoxster (03-01-2020), ISPYA718 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 10:19 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Regarding the bolded statement, are you sure, I asked and was told it would void the warranty.
Yep, in Sydney Australia a 991.2 GT3 blown engine with after market exhaust had the warranty denied, he was out of pocket for new engine.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James88
Yep, in Sydney Australia a 991.2 GT3 blown engine with after market exhaust had the warranty denied, he was out of pocket for new engine.
Ouch! Now with that a possibility, to me hardly worth the risk...
Old 01-26-2020, 11:26 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
That's crazy. I test drove a CPO GT3 (991.1) and it had a modified exhaust. Came with the stock exhaust in a box. SA and service manager both said no problem and it's fully CPO'd regardless.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:31 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I’m not sure and have no individual knowledge about this. Just followed statements previously made in this thread that the CEL light would remain off and assumed that warranty is not voided by making exhaust mods that usa owners often make under warranty.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StudGarden
That's crazy. I test drove a CPO GT3 (991.1) and it had a modified exhaust. Came with the stock exhaust in a box. SA and service manager both said no problem and it's fully CPO'd regardless.
They would not have been able to CPO the car if it already had the modified exhaust on it, for CPO the car has to be stock, I asked the country Porsche technical manager this very question, my guess is that the exhaust was installed after CPO status was granted or was not disclosed to Porsche, now the dealer is ignoring it. Because as you know, if you never have to actually start a warranty claim and the dealer doesn't disclose the exhaust to Porsche they (Porsche) won't know about it... so this doesn't mean that Porsche approves or warranties the car with a modified exhaust.

Originally Posted by hf1
I’m not sure and have no individual knowledge about this. Just followed statements previously made in this thread that the CEL light would remain off and assumed that warranty is not voided by making exhaust mods that usa owners often make under warranty.
As we all know just because they haven't been caught, doesn't mean that it is right, I am pretty sure that the US and Canada are the same on the following point, modifying a significant component in the engine system will likely void the engine warranty, just like the Australian GT3 example. Doubtful that the US enjoys some special dispensation from Porsche on matters like this.

I would say that if it is allowed in the US, then there is no reason why your dealer couldn't supply a letter that confirms that an aftermarket exhaust is approved for installation by Porsche and the warranty remains in effect. In @StudGarden example above, I wouldn't buy that GT3 with the modified exhaust unless I had a confirmation letter from Porsche USA that the modification was approved, GT3 engines aren't cheap! Remember the dealer can say what they like the final warranty approval rests with Porsche themselves.

What's the saying, "Get it in writing..."
Old 01-26-2020, 12:32 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't get it but was got to demand that exact thing in writing. The 10 year engine warranty was the only reason I was even considering it. The exhaust was done by the original owner and sold to dealer like that, with the original in a box. SA texted the previous owner for me to ask which company the exhaust was. I forget the name but it was one of the more common ones.

I don't remember if it had an E F or G engine but the dealer's fingerprints were all over it as a CPO with the exhaust modded prior to CPOing it along with a letter verifying the 10 year engine warranty. I'm pretty sure if something went wrong either Porsche would have covered it or the dealer would have eaten it.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I didn't get it but was got to demand that exact thing in writing. The 10 year engine warranty was the only reason I was even considering it. The exhaust was done by the original owner and sold to dealer like that, with the original in a box. SA texted the previous owner for me to ask which company the exhaust was. I forget the name but it was one of the more common ones.

I don't remember if it had an E F or G engine but the dealer's fingerprints were all over it as a CPO with the exhaust modded prior to CPOing it along with a letter verifying the 10 year engine warranty. I'm pretty sure if something went wrong either Porsche would have covered it or the dealer would have eaten it.
Plain and simple, you are guessing here, the warranty may be voided by this exhaust no matter who makes it or who installs it, the manufacturer has the final word, not the dealer. Without confirmation by the warranty approver, Porsche, you cannot be sure.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:32 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 928 Posts

Correct me if I’m wrong (which is likely)
I thought in the USA there is a specific law stating that your warranty can only be voided if they specific aftermarket part was the cause of the issue? It was to prevent companies avoiding responsibility. Maybe I remembered wrong though.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Correct me if I’m wrong (which is likely)
I thought in the USA there is a specific law stating that your warranty can only be voided if they specific aftermarket part was the cause of the issue? It was to prevent companies avoiding responsibility. Maybe I remembered wrong though.
That could be the case, but then it is your word against the manufacturers engineering team... in case of a disagreement would court time and lawyers be required?

All I am saying is that these are expensive machines, you have to be careful about assuming what you change won't be questioned.

And don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a performance exhaust, just suggesting putting some research (and I don't mean hearsay) into the decision before making the purchase!

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point