Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 10:47 AM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ZA GT4
The stock sound is much better than I was expecting.
It doesn't come close to the 981 but I think many people will be fine with the stock sound.
It sounds good in its own right but if you're coming from a 981 you will probably want to mod if you like the pops/bangs.
Stock is plenty loud and even drones but my car is only on 200km now so the sound might change slightly as I break it in.

FYI I'm in South Africa, we have the inactive PPF (which according to some doesn't make a difference to sound).
Thx for POV, hope editors in the US will also confirm this once theyve done a proper review with non opf cars.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by flatt6
If the ROW and EU 718 GT4s sound the same, then there is already a good video showing the difference of stock exhaust.
https://youtu.be/-tKzrZzhpg4
Videos of static sounds outside the car standing at the rear bumper are meaningless IMO. What matters is the sound under power from the driver's seat, which I think comes through pretty clearly in the 718 track videos. Those of us who've owned a 981 know what they sounded like, so we can do a mental comparison in our heads. As someone who didn't care for the sound of my 981, I would have no interest in trying to make my 718 GT4 sound like a 981 GT4. What I'm interested in is whether any of these exhausts will actually improve the tone of the exhaust as heard from the drivers seat, because the stock 718 seems to sound really, really good from the drivers seat. I'd really like to hear a comparison from inside the car.
The following users liked this post:
alexk79 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 06:45 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

cargraphic touring exhaust ,this is their quietest version and I think it sounds great. Can’t wait to hear their race version.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:45 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sausage416
https://youtu.be/KCYpMTKdwPg cargraphic touring exhaust ,this is their quietest version and I think it sounds great. Can’t wait to hear their race version.
Believe this is the Clubsport version actually (oval vs. triangle can), Race is above it and Touring is below it seems. But it says Touring sounds somewhat similar to Clubsport version (around :50ish mark). With OPF delete pipes, this probably would be perfect. I'm curious to hear what the stock can sounds like with just OPF delete pipes.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes, the Touring version does sound good, though just a tad lower in volume. But, with OPF-delete pipe, the volume should go up. Another good news is, it seems to retain stock cat and header. That's critical to stay within emission regs. However, the up/down shift blips still seem to be quiet!! That's a downer though! We need more audio samples, from the driver's seat, to understand better.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:25 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Here is a vid of a guy beating on a 718 GT4

Sounds good. Maybe someone could translate what the dude says though. Looks like he's having an issue with 3->2 shifts
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 06:33 AM
ZA GT4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the performance aspects of an exhaust upgrade.
JCR has stated multiple times that the stock system is very restrictive, even the tips. (In line with the common theory that Porsche nerfs the GT4 to widen the gap from the GT3)
Those who aren't willing to pay for a full Ti system might still benefit from a SS setup from a different manufacturer (assuming they know what they are doing).

My suggestion, wait a few months for a roundup review of a few alternatives.
Compare the sound and performance and make a choice then.
No need to be scared of ordering a GT4 in the meantime, the stock sound is definitely not a deal breaker.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:38 AM
ZA GT4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I also noticed the car doesn't like going down into 2nd from 3rd when doing an aggressive downshift.
I end up in 4th and lose all momentum. (the speed I'm going at is suitable for 2nd gear, not trying to redline in 2nd so it's not the car protecting itself from a 'money shift').
I read somewhere the car tries to predict your next shift and sort of closes off the gates to guide it to the predicted gear?
Sounds far fetched but it does feel that way.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:30 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I also noticed the car doesn't like going down into 2nd from 3rd when doing an aggressive downshift.
I end up in 4th and lose all momentum. (the speed I'm going at is suitable for 2nd gear, not trying to redline in 2nd so it's not the car protecting itself from a 'money shift').
I read somewhere the car tries to predict your next shift and sort of closes off the gates to guide it to the predicted gear?
Sounds far fetched but it does feel that way.
I find it the same as the 981, but only 2>1 slightly easier to select. - I did complain about 2>1 select on the 981 before to Porsche.
Whereas 2>1 on the 987.2S is superior.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:53 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 502 Likes on 259 Posts

Quick translation of that french pilot in the vid above.

Trouble with 2-3 and 3-2 shifts... sometimes smooth sometimes catching.

Car is really confidence inspiring and really lets the pilot do the difference. Interviewer says that from outside it does not sound that good, but pilot confirms that from the inside it sounds like a proper GT car. He feels like in a mini GT3. Car lacks a bit of power to his taste but in the category it rocks! At the end they ask him if he thinks he will love the new 911 more (that he is getting ready to try I think) and he shrugs his shoulders meaning "I dont think so...".
The following 2 users liked this post by kart125:
alexk79 (05-20-2020), blackholescion (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 12:08 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

.............., the stock sound is definitely not a deal breaker.
For some, it is!! We all have different expectations!!

Originally Posted by kart125
............. Interviewer says that from outside it does not sound that good, but pilot confirms that from the inside it sounds like a proper GT car. .............
I'm bit unclear about this comment. If the car doesn't sound good outside, how can it sound better inside? Do the sound signature and characteristics change when the sound enters the cabin? If anything, it gets subdued inside due to cabin insulation, in terms of volume. Is the sound being piped inside? If so, it could have a multiplying effect due to smaller confines and reflections. In the Spyder, I hear and sense a significant change with the top and down (windows up). With the hard top, the overall muffled effect could be even higher.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:27 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I dont think it sounds like a proper GT car inside, but I can tell you that forcing the exhaust flaps to open all the time is a massive improvement.
For those that dont like the noises of a 981, you will love it.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:59 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
I dont think it sounds like a proper GT car inside, but I can tell you that forcing the exhaust flaps to open all the time is a massive improvement.
fully agree. I think the first step is to force the valves open and then decide what’s next
Old 05-20-2020, 01:09 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Does anyone have a diagram or images of how to do this via the solenoid route? I'm not opposed to getting into the engine bay and would rather disconnect a plug than disconnect lines under the car.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:45 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
For some, it is!! We all have different expectations!!

I'm bit unclear about this comment. If the car doesn't sound good outside, how can it sound better inside? Do the sound signature and characteristics change when the sound enters the cabin? If anything, it gets subdued inside due to cabin insulation, in terms of volume. Is the sound being piped inside? If so, it could have a multiplying effect due to smaller confines and reflections. In the Spyder, I hear and sense a significant change with the top and down (windows up). With the hard top, the overall muffled effect could be even higher.
He think he is referring to the induction and mechanical engine noise inside the cabin.

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point